Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Nice

I think they gave the old-school style of FE quite a few chances, right? Even Echoes, despite being well-regarded, didn't do well. Honestly, I generally hate when developers do this sort of thing, but in Fire Emblem's case I can totally understand.

I mean; this new direction was a great financial decision, still don't really understand why, to be honest, aside from the surface level appeal, the changes seems very niche to me. But personally, as a consumer, it's one I really hate. First FE game I have not bought since I got into the franchise, which really hurts after being such a big fan of it for so long.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I hate to be that person, but what exactly do you want people to do about it? We can complain about it, but that's about it. It's a genuinely good game, and that won't stop people from buying it.
What do you mean, "won't stop people from buying it"? Shouldn't a minority group getting shafted be reason enough to not buy a game?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I've got the CE on the way, but feel like picking up a standard copy. Went to EBgames and they told me it's sold out. Wow.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
I gave a reason why to not buy it. If I think that is a valid reason, why shouldn't I say it?

I think that your perspective is a tad too harsh. The game has a gay romance that doesn't end in tragedy for once. There can be lesbian relationships outside the ones with your main character. The problem is that there are not enough gay romances and exclusively gay and lesbian romances.

This is far from say a Persona 5 situation where they are genuinely not even seeing people like that as reasonable people just trying to live their lives and actively being malicious to the point of undermining the main theme of the game.

This is a problem, but I think it's a situation where I think we can agree that the devs aren't trying to hurt people.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
(Sorry for double post but idk if edited posta notify quoted users)
You can not-buy it, right?
Yeah but I don't think that's going to prevent most people from buying it. I mean, I was told you can have same sex relationships in the game. It's something I'll never see one way or the other so I would be most people aren't even aware of the problem. I myself am not entirely sure what the issue is (but I think it's a lack of options? I'm not a big FE person)

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Honestly, I think it's perfectly fine as it is. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this game does feature same-sex romance options, it's just that for some people there aren't enough, right?

Can't speak for other people, and I am sure some are dissapointed with the fact there is only one gay support compared to the five lesbian supports, but I personally find the fact Alois and Gilbert are the first platonic S supports in the franchise the only real shitty move. To the point I can't look at it at any other way aside from being a malicious action. Though I would love to get another explanation.

EDIT: Sorry for thread derrailment. People should move on to the other thread if they want to discuss about this

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
So basically people just wants P Tux7 and the people the game fails to shut up and sit down

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Can't speak for other people, and I am sure some are dissapointed with the fact there is only one gay support compared to the five lesbian supports, but I personally find the fact Alois and Gilbert are the first platonic S supports in the franchise the only real shitty move. To the point I can't look at it at any other way aside from being a malicious action. Though I would love to get another explanation.
There have been Platonic S before.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think it's perfectly fine as it is. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this game does feature same-sex romance options, it's just that for some people there aren't enough, right?

It also gets into weird territory when endings are considered. Characters have loads of paired endings that happen based on support level but aren't codified via an S rank (because without kiddos, formalizing it before the ending doesn't really mean anything), so there will probably have to be a real deep dive post release to determine which of the ~100(+?) paired endings are platonic and which are romantic, and if any of the non-Byleth romantic paired endings are same sex.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
Finally a FE that launced on a system that I owned, and I've been really curious about this series since Awakening. I bought it launch day, but really haven't had time to play it yet. Looking forward to it.

Well, honestly I had a Wii, but FE wasn't on my radar when Path of Radience (?) launced.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
(Sorry for double post but idk if edited posta notify quoted users)
You can not-buy it, right?

You expect people to refuse to buy a game on the the basis of a secondary mechanic being insufficiently inclusive regarding a specific marginalized group? Even when there's no explicit bigotry? I get that it's frustrating and you should by all means voice that frustration, but I'm not seeing a compelling case for consumer revolt. If you do, then I can't imagine there are very many things you are okay with people buying.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
And with a much higher price tag at that, too.

We love an organic growth. Not everybody has that!

Oct 27, 2017
Finally a FE that launced on a system that I owned, and I've been really curious about this series since Awakening. I bought it launch day, but really haven't had time to play it yet. Looking forward to it.

Well, honestly I had a Wii, but FE wasn't on my radar when Path of Radience (?) launced.
I think Path if radience is gamecube with Radiant dawn is wii

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Nice, but it's just UK, game and hardware sales are often strange there, and Nintendo hardware/game sales are traditionally relative low there, so this is a big accomplishment.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Im startung chapt 3. The story and characterization of world is amazing.

Im 9h already. The lore is really big. They should do a show about it.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Removing a lot of the anime nonsense and replacing it with stuff that mass audiences tend to like (Harry Potter house stuff, GoT-style dark fantasy worlds, etc) were two really good decisions and it's clear they're paying off. I bought the game Day One (yet to play it, mind you ) for those reasons even though I haven't touched a Fire Emblem game since briefly trying out Awakening back in the day.
Its very much anime, idk what gave you the impression that it's not. Mainstream has shown that they like anime aswell, but anime doesn't mean the story isnt darker or w/e, anime isn't a specific genre

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I mean; this new direction was a great financial decision, still don't really understand why, to be honest, aside from the surface level appeal, the changes seems very niche to me. But personally, as a consumer, it's one I really hate. First FE game I have not bought since I got into the franchise, which really hurts after being such a big fan of it for so long.

If you only look Fire Emblem for the battles, I can see why all the changes seems fluff to you. But a lot of FE fans, the series are also about the story and characters and this one is a massive upgrade on that aspect.

Ardonet

Jun 13, 2019
It does not feature same-sex romance optionS for male MC, just one, compared to multiple romance options for everyone else. And there are 3 S supports total, but two of them are platonic.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
So around 2x times the launch of Xenoblade and Octopath.

4m sounds more and more likely and it is totally deserved !

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
As dissapointed as I am with the lack of m/m romance options, everything else about the game is genuinely fantastic and I've been enjoying my time with it quite a bit. With m/m it could have been my GotG contender but I guess strong GotY contender isn't too bad.