• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that it doesn't matter if you can't cash out if the items in the system hold real value in the eyes of the user. The system operates in the same manner as real gambling, they put money in, and get a variable amount of value out. In this instance it doesn't matter if you can't cash out because the user perceives the items in the system as having monetary value (otherwise, they wouldn't put money in to attain them).

It's very likely that this is operating in the same manner as typical gambling within players who spend a lot of money on the system, and if so, it should be treated in the same way.

Seems like a good avenue of research also. Would be good to see if lootboxes are the same as gambling at a cognitive and neurological level.

If you have some time, read about the Skinner box (especially commercial applications)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning_chamber

Also

http://www.pcgamer.com/behind-the-addictive-psychology-and-seductive-art-of-loot-boxes/

Last edited:

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
Disappointing, hopefully, the rest of the world will be stricter. It's basically a "fuck costumers" statement.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Cheers man. I already have, I'm a Psych / Clinical Neuropsych graduate and my Masters dissertation focused on obsessive compulsive disorders and gambling behaviours.

On a theoretical level yeah it operates with the same mechanisms, but it would be good to see that corroborated with behavioural/neurological data from actual players.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cheers man. I already have, I'm a Psych / Clinical Neuropsych graduate and my Masters dissertation focused on obsessive compulsive disorders and gambling behaviours.

On a theoretical level yeah it operates with the same mechanisms, but it would be good to see that corroborated with behavioural/neurological data from actual players.

True. We'll maybe start seeing more research funded into it now that there has been an explosion of popularity of such methods in the industry, and also now that media attention is swarming around.

This is a good quick read https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/28/15702686/overwatch-blizzard-loot-box-business-model-masterpiece

Note how it links to reddit. While in no way a lab testing setting, a lot of the number crunching that has been going on via crowd initiatives is impressive. From Overwatch to BF2 redditers have been putting in the effort to display estimated costs and amount of time needed to unlock things.

Some of the figures can be quite scary, especially around time needed to unlock by playing, and that obviously ties into the push to manipulate people to spend. Overwatch has mastered that too with the limited time gated Halloween costumes, when players only have a short window of time to obtain legendary skins. With no drop rate transparency we also have no idea if there is any manipulation of winnings odds going on either.

Bungie has now been caught manipulating XP gain behind the scenes. Yet again by Reddit. I'm genuinely incredibly frustrated and disappointed by why the gaming media/journalists have not spent more time going to devs and pubs to ask them about drop rates and why they conceal. Especially when Blizzard wormed its way out of Chinese regulations. The response from the journalists, or should I say lack of response, in this industry, was almost frightening. Terrible investigatory work/response. Almost has you wondering if some are more concerned about being blacklisted/biting the hand that feeds. Considering not blaming them when TheSixthAxis takes a stand against NBA 2K18 and almost has the Mafia turn up at their doorstep.

Overall, you only really see a few gaming journalists these days do any investigatory work. Kotaku/Jason for one, but there's not many others now. Largely we'll just have to rely on Reddit, here and other hardcore communities to put in the effort around consumer friendly advocacy. Some journalists even showed their asses doing free PR for EA and Battlefront 2.

Last edited:

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Seem's pretty similar to their first statement. They aren't the one's who decide if a new scheme is gambling or not, they only enforce current laws.

Obviously modern day schemes are going to be built to get around existing laws.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Electronic Arts has lobbied the UK government to the tune of millions over a number of years. This statement is actually far harsher than I thought but ultimately, and as expected, does NOTHING to rain in this practice. I'm a UK Citizen and resident. My current government and it's MP's have a history of siding with corporations.

We have to look to those countries where EA/Gaming hasn't felt the need to spend millions in lobbying. Places like Belgium. My hope is that once action is taken the Publishers like EA wont bother to make two different versions of games. One that adheres to EU laws and nother specifically for the UK... Since we made the decision to leave the EU by 2020.

That said, EA has spent a lot more in millions lobbying the US government and I suspect that while they might adhere to changes in EU law. The version our US cousins get will still be egregious.

PEGI & ESRB are extensions of the gaming industry. Bought and paid for. You should expect ESRB to make an updated statement soon which is just as non committal to doing anything about the freemium pay 2 win model.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The UK commission is notoriously among the laxest in the EU so this was expected and it's leaving the EU anyway so there was little chance it was going to do anything regardless of what the findings were.

More interesting to what finding countries like France and Belgium are since they still have a reasonable amount of sway within the EU and are generally stricter.

Bleedgreen007

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Murica
It still puts those children into a system that encourages them to spend money. Just because they can't doesn't mean that they aren't being incentivised to do so. It's not unlikely that a child will ask a family member for small purchases here and there, thereby engaging with the system. I imagine most parents are unlikely to be aware that what they're buying is a variable reward..
Then tell them no if you don't want them purchasing anything. Sony, Nintendo and Apple all have great parental controls if you know how to use them. All that's left for the parent or guardian is to do.. parenting.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also kind of surprised that they only seem to be acknowledging children as potential victims, millions of adults are gambling addicts or are susceptible to gambling addiction.

Botenks

Oct 30, 2017
Based on this gambling law (legal gambling = only if the acquired items are money's worth) couldn't just any establishment add a "gambling corner" and get away with it? For example:

A supermarket has a gambling corner with roulette wheels and slot machines where you can play for "supermarket credits" with real money. Those credits (= the acquired items) can then only be used within the supermarket to pay your groceries with. Like, for example, you can get a loaf of bread for 500 credits then.

You als can't trade your own credits with other customers since your credit amount is stored within your loyalty card. An identification system could also be in place so that it's not possible to simply give your card to a friend.

Sure, now there is the issue that you could just sell your groceries outside of the supermarket. But the same issue appears with Fifa cards or CSGO skins that can be traded for real money outside of the game on third party sites. In this case the gambling commission goes after the third party sites. In video games where you can't trade items, there is still the option to trade game accounts for real money.

A hair salon or tattoo studio on the other hand wouldn't have this issue, since you can't resell your haircut or tattoo.

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually having a conversation with someone about this, and the fact that you couldn't "cash out", is what we kept coming back to, as to the "legal" reasons why it wasnt regulated. Still, I think when you look at the way Loot Boxes can affect the brain (and that it can trigger the same impulses when gambling), I think this is what should matter more then the ability to cash out.

The other issue I have is, digital currency/goods, are a form of cashing out. I mean to people, those things have worth/value. Even if they are in game (even more so, if you can trade them or sell them).

I get it legally, it's not cashing out in most cases. But if it's affecting people all the same ways gambling is, I still think there is a serious problem.

Oct 30, 2017
The danger of gambling is not that you can cash out. You can cash out on eBay, or the stock market.

The danger of gambling is that you can ruin yourself and your family.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
We are concerned with the growth in examples where the line between video gaming and gambling is becoming increasingly blurred. Where it does meet the definition of gambling it is our job to ensure that children are protected and we have lots of rules in place, like age verification requirements, to do that.
They don't consider it legally gambling but it sounds like they aren't gonna turn a blind eye. Sounds like the UK wants to do PEGI's job for them. I dig it.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to know what other publishers think of EA right now, they must be furious

ec0ec0

Oct 26, 2017
So, even though they can't deny that paid loot boxes share many of the dangers than gambling does, they can't do anything about it.

Is that the end of it, or is the UK going to look into making new regulation with this issue in mind?

I understand that, if it isn't tecnically gambling by the current definition, it's not the gambling commision business.

Last edited:

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
So, even though the can't deny that paid loot boxes share many of the dangers than gambling does, they can't do anything about it.

Is that the end of it, or is the UK going to look into making new regulation with this issue in mind?

I understand that, if it isn't tecnically gambling by the current definition, it's not the gamblings commision business.
I wouldn't say it's the end of it, because it doesn't seem to be losing steam & will no doubt only get worse as more games release with lootboxes and I'm sure the gambling comission will put pressure on the government to do something about it (and statements like this basically calling it gambling isn't good for the government). But it also doesn't mean the government will do anything about it either yet, or if at all. There's also countries like Belgium (Europe?) and Hawaii looking into it aswell so if they do anything about it, that could apply further pressure to the UK and other regions.

At this point it's just louder noise, and the volume needs to be turned up even further for something to be done about it but we're on the right track. Until the definition by law of 'Gambling' is changed, the GC don't seem to be able to do very much.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The danger of gambling is not that you can cash out. You can cash out on eBay, or the stock market.

The danger of gambling is that you can ruin yourself and your family.
Exactly, loot boxes are like a slot machine that will never give you any money back. That doesn't stop people with gambling tendencies to get addicted though, but obviously publishers should just self regulate lmao. All thanks to some outdated definition of gambling.

ec0ec0

Oct 26, 2017
Like, if psychologists or other experts look into it, and tell you that loot boxes affect an individual in a similar way as gambling does... sure saying "it isn't technically gambling by the current definition" is not enought?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Then tell them no if you don't want them purchasing anything. Sony, Nintendo and Apple all have great parental controls if you know how to use them. All that's left for the parent or guardian is to do.. parenting.

They've still been exposed to a system that incentivises them to find gambling appealing. It's like walking into a betting shop every day before school, it's weird, even if the children can't make a bet, and I imagine it's not something that parents want their children exposed to day to day when playing games certified for children.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They're just reiterating what we already know.

Laws written before digital gambling existed are outdated and the legal definitions need to be rewritten to reflect reality. Hopefully once more governments actually update their laws, the rest will follow.
There are laws around digital gambling though, and going by those laws they determined that lootboxes are not gambling, which I 100% agree with because you are not gambling, you are buying a product.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Disappointing and one sided - not even an attempt to create transparency by enforcing visible probability rates at which you could earn items via lootboxes.

Disappointing sure but It's not one sided.

It's there job to act within the confines of the law. It's not their job to make it. For practical purposes they are just as responsible as we are in lobbying those who do make it.

djinnEXE

Oct 25, 2017
Old law that needs to be updated

It's telling when Nintendo had to take the GameCorner out of Pokemon games "so children wouldn't be exposed to the nature of gambling"
But games where you spend real money for the chance to get something get a free pass

djinnEXE

Oct 25, 2017
There are laws around digital gambling though, and going by those laws they determined that lootboxes are not gambling, which I 100% agree with because you are not gambling, you are buying a product.
No they're not. Lootboxes are like lottery tickets, you buy them for the chance to win something I.e gambling

Nov 1, 2017
I see nothing wrong with suggesting lootbox games add baked-in parental controls (even I believe the "think of the children" is just a disingenuous argument as it always is).

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good, exactly as it should be. It's not fucking gambling, same as any fucking blind bag, Kinder Egg or booster packs.
What would be lost in that scenario?

But no, it doesn't have to be the same. Laws can be written to target virtual gambling without killing baseball cards or whatever.
That would be ridiculously hypocritical. Trading cards ain't different from lootboxes.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
There most certainly are gambling aspects in lootboxes. But in general, I think its more an issue with developers designing hidden systems to manipulate the player into buying microtransactions. Its too easy. I dont think the gambling regulators are the right people
to look into this.

Oct 27, 2017
Good outcome. The people who are trying to paint happy customers as victims need to take a step back. You also need to let parents raise their children how they like without trying to enforce your views on to them through means of the law.

There is more gambling associated with playing a claw machine that doesn't guarantee anything in return for your money then there is with loot boxes. That is how ridiculous the argument of lootboxes as gambling really is.

These laws and comissions are partially in place to protect us from people like you who would seek to tell other people what is and isn't legal to pass your own agenda. It reminds me of the war on marijuana. Lots of over concern about the so called victims who enjoyed it. Lots of utilizing children safety to push agenda. It's disgusting really.

If you don't like loot boxes in games. Don't support them. That is really where this battle should end. Stop trying to enforce your agenda on others.

Last edited:

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember collecting football stickers as a kid and that was as much gambling as loot boxes are and was clearly marketed towards children. Loot boxes have a negative impact on gameplay so I think people are just trying to claim they are gambling to get them removed because they don't like them.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Easy for kids to buy prepaid topup cards from stores nowadays no need for credit cards to buy lootboxes

Also not fair towards other games which do not have lootboxes MT shit in them

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Outdated law. It clearly is gambling even if you can't cash out, people get addicted the same kind of way and it can hurt just as bad. But I get it, I guess this is all they can do at the moment.
It's simulated gambling, which is covered under different codes. Otherwise, Chuck E Cheese would be 21 and over only.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I still think it's gambling. Even though you're receiving a digital item in exchange for money you're still taking a chance. The fact you can't cash out is even worse for the consumer since a duplicate item or something you don't want is essentially worthless. The house (the publisher) takes the loser's stakes (the player paying). At least with a game like PUBG, I can sell the loot crate on Steam Marketplace to make a few cents that can add up. Or if I choose to, buy the items outright from other sellers. The fact you can't cash out just makes it a worse deal for the consumer, not better.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Outdated law. It clearly is gambling even if you can't cash out, people get addicted the same kind of way and it can hurt just as bad. But I get it, I guess this is all they can do at the moment.
Yeah, in a world where digital currency exists being able to collect worth in ÂŁ into your bank account shouldn't be the gatekeeper rule as to what gambling is. People are using real money to gamble to win something that THEY deem valuable to them in the game. To me that's enough to consider it gambling and it should be treated as seriously as "real" gambling, it does all the same things.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems fair

I do think trying to compare it to gambling is a mistake though. It has a lot in common for sure but its not actually gambling.

At the very least I want to see Loot Boxes have the same regulations as card collecting. The odds need to be made public.

You could also make a argument that any game with them needs to have a 18+ rating due to how exploitative and predatory they are.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This just in, surprise eggs, card packs, blind bags, arcade games and anything with an uncertain outcome classified as gambling by the experts at ResetEra.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what about this then? :/ - 18 rated due to Gambling

PEGI is inconsistent as fuck around their gambling ratings.

Pokemon only gets a 12

GRAMRKi.png

The UK Government aren't going to do shit, it'll be somewhere else in Europe that forces the devs and pubs to cough up and reveal winnings odds/rate games for adults only.

Helloween

Oct 27, 2017
PEGI is inconsistent as fuck around their gambling ratings.

Pokemon only gets a 12

GRAMRKi.png

The UK Government aren't going to do shit, it'll be somewhere else in Europe that forces the devs and pubs to cough up and reveal winnings odds/rate games for adults only.

Ah right yeah, i looked up some others, one of the poker games got a +3 heh

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
This just in, surprise eggs, card packs, blind bags, arcade games and anything with an uncertain outcome classified as gambling by the experts at ResetEra.
The examples you list are not really the same as what's going on here though.

I think most people aren't saying that loot boxes should be removed from games because they are gambling. They are saying it closely resembles gambling and should be regulated so that the publishers are more transparent which would help prevent people from being taken advantage of. But I hope that the threat of regulation and bad publicity makes developers and publishers think twice before implementing these systems in their games; especially ones targeted to kids.

Currently the loot boxes have all the characteristics of a rigged shell game. Publishers like EA and Activision are looking to manipulate players into spending more money. Call of Duty WW2 was the most blatant example of this by having a lobby where you can open loot crates in front of everyone. This is almost like when you had con artists running these rigged shell games that had a secret partner appear to win big to entice more people to try their luck. Publishers are designing these systems to be more pervasive and intrinsic to the core game which is tantamount to defrauding the consumer. It's not about providing more value to the consumer, it's about manipulating people to empty their pockets without providing anything in return. It's gambling, but the even bigger issue for me is that this is a consumer rights violation.

Deleted member 11995

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
That's the kind of statement we all should've expected.

At this moment in time, in the eyes of the law, technically it's not gambling.

But, again, the fact that various government officials (from separate countries) are feeling the need to speak on this subject at all will hopefully give certain people pause for thought. Hopefully we can get a rethink on how (if at all) loot boxes and micro-transactions are implemented, moving forwards.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No they're not. Lootboxes are like lottery tickets, you buy them for the chance to win something I.e gambling
They're not like lottery tickets either. You are buying them to get X number of random items. With a lottery you win something of monetary value or you can lose and get nothing. You get neither of those outcomes with lootboxes.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Based on this gambling law (legal gambling = only if the acquired items are money's worth) couldn't just any establishment add a "gambling corner" and get away with it? For example:

A supermarket has a gambling corner with roulette wheels and slot machines where you can play for "supermarket credits" with real money. Those credits (= the acquired items) can then only be used within the supermarket to pay your groceries with. Like, for example, you can get a loaf of bread for 500 credits then.

You als can't trade your own credits with other customers since your credit amount is stored within your loyalty card. An identification system could also be in place so that it's not possible to simply give your card to a friend.

Sure, now there is the issue that you could just sell your groceries outside of the supermarket. But the same issue appears with Fifa cards or CSGO skins that can be traded for real money outside of the game on third party sites. In this case the gambling commission goes after the third party sites. In video games where you can't trade items, there is still the option to trade game accounts for real money.

A hair salon or tattoo studio on the other hand wouldn't have this issue, since you can't resell your haircut or tattoo.
I'm pretty sure what you're describing is essentially how pachinko parlors in Japan sidestep their gambling laws lol

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

Card Packs have to show odds. But yes, i think its pretty obvious that blind purchases should be regulated, whether you want to officially call them gambling or not.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good. Consoles already have parental controls so that part of it has been taken care of awhile ago.