Status
Not open for further replies.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
The manifesto is playing it safe so there are no distractions from the 'Get Brexit Done' message. When they get the majority you can also expect the Tories to go full GOP voter suppression with voter ID laws and boundary changes to lock in their majority. It's going to be really bleak.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
the new labour pledge over women's pensions seems weirdly panicky and Hail Mary like. one of the core principles mcdonnell and his team have is that their manifesto's should always be fully costed to the penny as it makes ambitious radical plans seem normal and plausible and harder to position as pie in the sky. yet it's 58bn uncosted....

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
The self-own of some people to think that a leader of Labour could do more damage to Britain (over a 5 year term) than ripping up a trade agreement with one of the largest trading blocks in the world.

I think the impact of Brexit have been overstated if anything. There may be harder shocks in the short term but could be beneficial in the longer term.

The only radical thing in Corbyn's manifesto is getting rich people to pay tax ... never been tried in Britain and it's scaring the shit out of the wealthy.

Top income tax bracket was 50pct only a decade ago, though the change to other personal tax policies are quite radical. Though his plan is just as radical on corporations as the U.K. is actually more efficient at taxing corporations as other EU nations so increasing the corporate tax rate AND giving employees/government a further 10pct of the equity would further increase the effective corporate tax rate to >30pct. This will definitely have an impact on corporates, and there are very serious questions/concerns around its implementation.

I suggest you read the recent FT article on Corbyn's tax plan, and there's a good memo prepared by Clifford Chance which discusses the IOF.

Corbyn's plan is very ambitious and unless he's got a majority to play with will
not be implementable within an election term (and not including the mountain of lawsuits which will ensue following nationalisation attempts).

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
the new labour pledge over women's pensions seems weirdly panicky and Hail Mary like. one of the core principles mcdonnell and his team have is that their manifesto's should always be fully costed to the penny as it makes ambitious radical plans seem normal and plausible and harder to position as pie in the sky. yet it's 58bn uncosted....

It felt to me like a reaction to BoJo saying they wouldn't put it right, during the QT leadership debate.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People seem to not appreciate how little corporations are paying in tax. 19% is nothing, and even under Trump it is less than is paid in the USA (it was 40% I believe before he slashed it). Even raising that a few percent would produce insane revenue.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
It felt to me like a reaction to BoJo saying they wouldn't put it right, during the QT leadership debate.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They needed to lean more in to the economics of it anyway before, just saying "it's costed" doesn't help when the perception is you can't be trusted, you really need to go above and beyond to look trustworthy.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
I think the impact of Brexit have been overstated if anything. There may be harder shocks in the short term but could be beneficial in the longer term.

I hope you're right because if you're going to self-inflict "small bumps in the road" then you need to see some major improvements just to make up for that loss. My concern is that large Corps and the wealthy etc will do very well out of it but how much of that will trickle down to ordinary households, all signs point to the rich getting richer.

Oct 27, 2017
So a big Tory majority. I'm not surprised, this is what happens when you stick with a deeply flawed leader (Corbyn). Doesn't matter how good your manifesto is, if people don't want to listen due to the messenger, then it's wasted. Corbyn's history meant the papers could easy paint him as a 70's Marxist, who was weak on defence and a terrorist sympathiser and this was always going to turn off a large portion of the population, no matter how bad the other guy (Boris) was. We get what we (collectively, as a country) deserve; a big Tory majority and a no deal Brexit. Time to get used to it and watch disaster unfold (then watch the right wing successfully blame the EU for it all).

I'm an outside observer in all this (I'm Irish in Ireland) but Corbyn's actually not that bad as politicians go, your country is deeply flawed from the media to the electoral system. And is seems most of the country likes it that way.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Worst thing to me if the Tories get a majority. BoJo hates Scotland so much but won't allow us an indy ref under his govt.

sucks

(I am trying to stay optimistic though that the Tories don't get said majority)
He'll never allow Scotland to do another indyref. He made it quite clear that he wants Scotland in the UK.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales

There are no long term benefits. Brexit is essentially tearing up all our trade deals and starting back at day 0.

Trade deals take a long time to do and current government policy is just to let imports in with minimal checks thus Brexit will shag any business involved with anything to do with goods (physical things)

While this is going on the UK will need to train up new trade envoys as we don't have any and all of the ones used to have work for the EU and do not want to work for the UK because quite frankly the UK is a dumpster fire right now.

I hope you're right because if you're going to self-inflict "small bumps in the road" then you need to see some major improvements just to make up for that loss. My concern is that large Corps and the wealthy etc will do very well out of it but how much of that will trickle down to ordinary households, all signs point to the rich getting richer.

The pound will be fucked so everything you get from outside the UK will immediately be more expensive.

No matter what deal the UK get with the EU there will be customs procedures and with it goes delays and increased paperwork and extra costs to complete said paperwork (proof of origin certificates, customs declarations, conformity certificates etc.)

Low value consignment relief is being removed so anything you personally order from outside the UK you will have to pay VAT at 20% and because you will be getting less foreign currency per pound post Brexit you will be paying more VAT.

Last edited:

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
From the BBC live blog:

"Paul Johnson from the IFS said:
"If we are going to undo austerity to any extent, we are going to need more money for the health service," he says.

"At some point over the next decade we are going to have to raise taxes or accept we are going to have less in the way of public services...No party is taking that serious message to the electorate...In the Conservatives' case they are saying 'nobody needs to pay'"

Has he not read the Labour manifesto???

The Tory manifesto is completely bereft of ideas as expected. Fixes nothing.

Swinson getting hammered on Marr.

Oh look, Gove is getting softballs.

Last edited:

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Oh look, Gove is getting softballs.

But then you get people who think the following

The BBC will say ah but we get 50 complaints from people saying we were too hard on Mr Gove and 50 saying we were too soft.

Therefore balanced and impartial.

It a massive flaw in our media for such a long time that if things are balanced then it's ok.

Oct 27, 2017
Playing that Dominic Cummings clip was a surprisingly spicy move for Marr.

Labour should be using that clip as much as anything else. That and Trump talking about the NHS. Negative campaigning works; indeed, it's what has won the majority of UK elections over the last four decades. Now Labour's own policies are out there, the biggest priority by far should be to terrify people who rely on the NHS and so forth, and they have clips of two of the biggest players in a future Tory government, Cummings and Trump, confirming such fears would be well-placed.

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Until the election votes are in anything can happen. I am just saying how the UK is if there is a Tory majority. People can blame Corbyn all they want but the fact is Labour has only won a election when leaning more right. In the end you have to look at the common factor for the more right leaning party nearly always winning and that isn't Corbyn.

But we can blame the leader for chosing a direction that cannot possibly win then.

A lot of people who identify strongly as Remainers have struggled with this. Even on here, people think that the referendum is the source of the current toxic atmosphere, despite minorities pointing this out for a long time.
Like Trump in America, it has helped 'validate' their ideas meaning they can be a lot more open.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Top income tax bracket was 50pct only a decade ago, though the change to other personal tax policies are quite radical. Though his plan is just as radical on corporations as the U.K. is actually more efficient at taxing corporations as other EU nations so increasing the corporate tax rate AND giving employees/government a further 10pct of the equity would further increase the effective corporate tax rate to >30pct. This will definitely have an impact on corporates, and there are very serious questions/concerns around its implementation.

I suggest you read the recent FT article on Corbyn's tax plan, and there's a good memo prepared by Clifford Chance which discusses the IOF.

Corbyn's plan is very ambitious and unless he's got a majority to play with will
not be implementable within an election term (and not including the mountain of lawsuits which will ensue following nationalisation attempts).

My point was having people pay more tax is not radical by any true definition of the word. But you're proving my point that it appears radical to people who have been brainwashed to think the role of politics is to appease business with slight changes in tax rates, and not to provide an imagined future of change and hope for the country's populace.

Politics has been reduced to a HR role of making up bullshit responses to why it's currently shit in the country. Most will realise in the next 10/20 years of continuing rise in right-wing extremism that politics true role in a capitalist society is to keep the voter imagining the future will be better.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
On Pienaar's politics this morning. Some political commentators felt Corbyn knew the election had probably gone and was now relaxed and going for it. And that conversations had gone on between Bailey and Angela Rayner about who would run for leadership. Though they did not provide any evidence to support what they were saying

Ando

Apr 21, 2018

stand corrected, but still weird

They needed to lean more in to the economics of it anyway before, just saying "it's costed" doesn't help when the perception is you can't be trusted, you really need to go above and beyond to look trustworthy.

agree, think this is inherited complacency from 2017 where nick timothy didn't cost his manifesto so they got free credibility just by broadcasters replying "but their manifesto is costed, your isn't" whenever they tried to attack labour. this time around they lack that and have gone with a much more ambitious plan.

compounding this is how in 2017 it was easy to imagine the viability of the big centrepieces like free tuition and nationalised trains and energy which most older voters have witnessed exist in britain in their lifetimes, whereas the policies this time seem more like a long dream wish list not a coherent blueprint. i like the four day working week but that especially seems like one where the practicality seems ridiculous to most voters and hasn't been explained at all.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On Pienaar's politics this morning. Some political commentators felt Corbyn knew the election had probably gone and was now relaxed and going for it. And that conversations had gone on between Bailey and Angela Rayner about who would run for leadership. Though they did not provide any evidence to support what they were saying

I think it is a fair point. The next Labour election contest is going to be won by someone who sticks to his radical manifesto, otherwise they will be losing a lot of core support in Momentum etc. That is why I can't see them having any success in becoming centralist as there is too much left wing support among activists that they would expunge.

twofold

Oct 28, 2017
compounding this is how in 2017 it was easy to imagine the viability of the big centrepieces like free tuition and nationalised trains and energy which most older voters have witnessed exist in britain in their lifetimes, whereas the policies this time seem more like a long dream wish list not a coherent blueprint. i like the four day working week but that especially seems like one where the practicality seems ridiculous to most voters and hasn't been explained at all.

Yup, and the idea that only the top 5% of earners will pay for all of it and no-one else will sounds (and is) completely unrealistic (https://www.ifs.org.uk/election/201...esto-an-initial-reaction-from-ifs-researchers). Doesn't help that Labour continues to announce additional costly policies following the manifesto release (https://www.theguardian.com/politic...t-billion-pound-pledge-women-pension-age-trap) - where is the money going to come for to pay for this?

I think it is a fair point. The next Labour election contest is going to be won by someone who sticks to his radical manifesto, otherwise they will be losing a lot of core support in Momentum etc. That is why I can't see them having any success in becoming centralist as there is too much left wing support among activists that they would expunge.

I hope Labour is comfortable remaining in opposition for the foreseeable future then. If Corbyn loses again the wrong thing to do would be to double down on his politics, in my opinion.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Labour is comfortable remaining in opposition for the foreseeable future then. If Corbyn loses again the wrong thing to do would be to double down on his politics, in my opinion.

They have a strong left wing base now that they would lose with a centralised position, so they will be forever opposition using that tactic too.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
The Labour policies are very popular with polls.

The real problem is that they are Labour policies and for some reason people think that only the Torys are good at managing the economy.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Looks like I was wrong about the manifesto and it actually has one thing that would provide a different society in 10-15 years. But guess what no-one can see a future with less working hours and more leisure time, literally the staple of predictions for the future of every decade since the WWII.

Less working hours , more leisure time, and better lives for their children was a top-3 for the population predicting the future, but now it's more hours, less time, and worse lives for our kids and "be happy because we've stopped companies leaving with our reasonable tax-demands, now go work 45 hours".

Last edited:

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, and also because they let too many *insert minority* into the country, Its caused the land to sink in the sea and that's why places are getting flooded.

Also, here's everyone's favourite careerist cunt.

I can't tell if he's accusing Labour of racism or that he left in search of more of it. A funny tinge, if you will.

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Has Corbyn got any more tv appearances as that Sturgeon line this morning about Trident is a huge banana skin Corbyn could be pinned over

Trident removal is a red line for the SNP.

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Saw this on twitter which brought me out of the slump this thread and the polls have caused yesterday.

I agree to some point except last time May pressed a big fucking red 'self destruct' button with her manifesto attacking her core voters

thatis not happening this time. The tories manifesto is as safe as possible.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I agree to some point except last time May pressed a big fucking red 'self destruct' button with her manifesto attacking her core voters

thatis not happening this time. The tories manifesto is as safe as possible.
That does seem to be true and things aren't exactly the same as last time but it does show what is technically possible and I need the hope of a hung parliament right now.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you be more clear about what kind of benefits can balance out more people dying, basic medecine shortages, the privatization of the NHS and more international companies leaving the UK?

The pound will be fucked so everything you get from outside the UK will immediately be more expensive.
To go back a few pages: that argument is lost on the 80k-100k bracket. An increase of 20% on fresh exotic fruits at Whole Foods is not going to hurt us as much as an increase of 10% on basic products at Aldi will hurt poor people.
And now I think of it, the privatization of the NHS might also be lost as an argument, since most people in that bracket and above have private insurance and don't give two fucks about people who don't.
Anyway, this bracket is 5% of the voting population of UK, was it? Labour should focus their efforts on easier and more numerous crowds.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Has Corbyn got any more tv appearances as that Sturgeon line this morning about Trident is a huge banana skin Corbyn could be pinned over

Trident removal is a red line for the SNP.

Yeah she's going in for the kill around Corbyn as well. Presumably because she knows he's anti-nuclear but he's chained to the demands of his voting base.

This further drives the wedge that Scotland is moving in a different direction from England and we need out. If the SNP return 40+ seats it further emboldens this.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK

Yeah she's going in for the kill around Corbyn as well. Presumably because she knows he's anti-nuclear but he's chained to the demands of his voting base.

This further drives the wedge that Scotland is moving in a different direction from England and we need out. If the SNP return 40+ seats it further emboldens this.

This is literally going to be a case of who blinks first though, as if SNP refuse to support because of these red lines, they actually help push a Tory Government into power... Which would mean they'd get neither of these, and well, Labour know they have that leverage as they are the only ones not entirely ruling it out (Indy2) and at least showing Trident needs to be looked at.

So don't support because of the red lines, if JC doesn't blink, you either have to support him, or accept you aren't getting them.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
This is literally going to be a case of who blinks first though, as if SNP refuse to support because of these red lines, they actually help push a Tory Government into power... Which would mean they'd get neither of these, and well, Labour know they have that leverage as they are the only ones not entirely ruling it out (Indy2) and at least showing Trident needs to be looked at.

So don't support because of the red lines, if JC doesn't blink, you either have to support him, or accept you aren't getting them.

The mess that would ensue from a Labour minority Government where the SNP are constantly talking about how the UK won't respect the will of the Scottish people will only cause more unrest up here.

If a left-wing Government in England won't play ball then as I said it furthers the feeling that our two countries are incompatible.

The SNP won't compromise on the views they've had since being voted into power, they'll turn it back to the Scottish people to say the Union isn't working.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The mess that would ensue from a Labour minority Government where the SNP are constantly talking about how the UK won't respect the will of the Scottish people will only cause more unrest up here.

If a left-wing Government in England won't play ball then as I said it furthers the feeling that our two countries are incompatible.

Of course, I don't disagree, but the choices are that, or a Tory government completely ignoring the Scottish, and having absolutely no legal recourse against it.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
Sturgeon is right about not waiting 2 or 3 years. I don't know why Corbyn just didn't take the position on Scotland that's its up to the people of Scotland.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Sturgeon is right about not waiting 2 or 3 years. I don't know why Corbyn just didn't take the position on Scotland that's its up to the people of Scotland.
I don't necessarily agree, but I feel like his position is "Give us a chance to show you how government in Westminster can be not shit, and if you still want out after a few years of us turning things around, fair enough."

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I don't necessarily agree, but I feel like his position is "Give us a chance to show you how government in Westminster can be not shit, and if you still want out after a few years of us turning things around, fair enough."

apart from min wage I can not see one labour policy that would be enacted to make a change so quickly? Most of them will end up in lengthy court battles, you can not just switch off universal credit, unless I am missing some, most of them are years to implement

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Of course, I don't disagree, but the choices are that, or a Tory government completely ignoring the Scottish, and having absolutely no legal recourse against it.

Remember the "power" 10 DUP members held?

Corbyn will play it cool pre-election to try and not upset his voting base, but in the unlikely event we had a minority Labour government is he going to throw that away?

The alternative isn't a Tory government, it's a hung parliament with a zombie Tory government that would be in the same positions as it is now, parliament deadlocked. That isn't sustainable unless Labour all defected to support the Tory Brexit deal.

It's looking very unlikely Labour manages to get into the position to ask for an SNP coalition, so Sturgeon is simply playing her cards knowing England is about to go full gammon again anyway. It's bringing out the gammon in Scotland too mind you, the second independence is mentioned up here Rangers fans go fucking apeshit.

They're furiously masturbating over their posters of the Queen (and Steven Gerrard) right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.