• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Another bans "all out" strikes on public transport so that trade unions cannot shut down a rail company's entire operations

Johnson already courting his new voter base. I read an earlier article about union members voting Tory...fucking hell lol.

A fourth new bill would stop local authorities from boycotting individual companies, apparently aimed at banning the anti-Israel Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canadian here. Seems like the anti-Semitism stuff really hurt Corbyn. Is the broad perception that none of the parties are racist, only Labour, and they're only racist against Jews? Cause that seems way off. Did the Tories skate completely on Windrush? I guess racism isn't a problem if it's against black people.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
Canadian here. Seems like the anti-Semitism stuff really hurt Corbyn. Is the broad perception that none of the parties are racist, only Labour, and they're only racist against Jews? Cause that seems way off. Did the Tories skate completely on Windrush? I guess racism isn't a problem if it's against black people.

You are correct. The only type of sustained and critical news on systematic racism is at Labour with antisemitism. Media are a disgrace.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also the center of politics is dead. To move closer to the center you're agreeing to fuck certain people over as that's how you move further right wing. Fuck that.
Well being more left isn't exactly #winning is it? In fact, being more left gave Labour a historic crushing defeat.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Um, is that the best you've got, ad-hominen?

I don't agree with everything GG says, but he single-handedly took on the entire UK-US establishment in the aftermath of the Iraq war. And has been a tireless pro-Palestinian campaigner.

Single handled? What? What happened to everyone else?

George Galloway is an unrepentant racist who stirs up interracial conflict. He's yet to meet a Middle Eastern butcher whom he didn't love and welcome with open arms. He lies as easily as he breathes. He's the literal definition of someone who uses Palestine to cover his anti-semitism.

He blamed Assad's chemical weapon attacks on *Israel* ffs.

He also literally just announced that the left should abandon lgbt rights and anti-racism campaigning to win back seats.

Swell fellow.

twofold

Oct 28, 2017

Great analysis of the election result. Too long to quote, but I thought this bit was particularly interesting -

Labour under Jeremy Corbyn lost nearly 8% of their vote share from 2017,
resulting in the lowest number of seats the party has won in over 80 years (since
1935). Three factors combined to make these results a nightmare for Labour:

1. Around a quarter of its Leave-supporting voters in the old heartlands -
the so-called "Red Wall" - transferred their vote to the Conservatives;
we estimate the number at 700,000-800,000 voters, based on hundreds of
thousands of polling responses and the YouGov public MRP. Hundreds of
thousands more may have stayed at home, although we need to wait for
more definitive evidence on this point.

But crucially, a larger number of Labour's 2017 voters seem to have
switched to other Remain parties. We estimate that over 1.1 million of
2017 Labour Remainers switched to the Liberal Democrats, the Greens or
the SNP. And importantly, 200-250,000 of the 2017 Labour Leavers also
seem to have switched to these parties, whether because of "Bregret" or
concerns about the Labour leadership or manifesto.

3. Both of these switcher groups had very negative opinions of Jeremy Corbyn.
Both Datapraxis research and other studies find that this is the most
significant factor in Labour's decline; the Opinium finding that a lack of trust
in Corbyn's leadership was the main factor, followed a long way behind by
the Brexit balancing act and questions about the party's economic policies.
The circa 300,000 Labour Remainers who switched to the Conservatives
illustrate this vividly; our voter tribe analysis suggests that these people are
first and foremost Corbyn skeptics.

Tons more in the pdf.

Last edited:

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017

Realistically, I don't think the anti-semitism issue really hurt Labour in and of itself. It certainly added to all the other attacks, and didn't help - but I really don't think the anti-semitism made a difference in any of the seats that were lost.

I knocked a lot of doors and it was never raised as an issue, and this is in London.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Well being more left isn't exactly #winning is it? In fact, being more left gave Labour a historic crushing defeat.

It's certainly doing better than any of the centrist parties. Lib Dems are dead. The much publicised and loved-by-the-media TIG/Change completely failed, barely managing 4-figures nationally!

Labour still got a higher vote share than 2010 and 2015.

Things have to change, we can't just run the same campaign again, it failed - but centrism is not the answer. Nobody wants it outside of a quite loud media commentariat.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
So they estimate if Labour hadn't backed the 2nd ref LDs would've overtaken them.

Lmao that entire pdf amounts to "Labour were fucked either way"
Yeah Brexit really fucked Labour either way. A lot of us were saying this basically since the referendum, a third of Labour voters voted Brexit so they couldn't back Remain or Leave but there's also no good middle ground. They only did as well as they did in the 2017 elections because they successfully changed the conversation away from Brexit to their manifesto which was popular. This time they couldn't do that. Partially because the manifesto and leader were less popular this time but also because Brexit is imminent and Leave voters didn't want any chance of it being taken from them.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So they estimate if Labour hadn't backed the 2nd ref LDs would've overtaken them.

Lmao that entire pdf amounts to "Labour were fucked either way"
Sounds more like there was no pleasing the leave vote and the remain vote wanted more than a referendum. Trying to go for both fucked labour. The Tories were already the leave party, if that's a voter's one issue, why go with labour's referendum stance when you're just an idiot who wants "brexit done" and over with? Leave labour voters either stayed home or voted Tory.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Absolutely - this "we would have won if we just supported Lexit" argument is just daft, and I keep seeing it pop up.

The best option was taken in the end, most of the Labour voters are pro EU, hopefully most of the ones who are for leaving are going to move on now they have got what they want.

I don't know if Corbyn going would have saved more votes or just made brexit more of an issue.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The best option was taken in the end, most of the Labour voters are pro EU, hopefully most of the ones who are for leaving are going to move on now they have got what they want.

I don't know if Corbyn going would have saved more votes or just made brexit more of an issue.
Well the best option would have been to push through Johnsons deal and delay an election for as long as possible but hindsight is 20/20

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Well the best option would have been to push through Johnsons deal and delay an election for as long as possible but hindsight is 20/20

The best option was the minority coalition but yknow.

Holding the country hostage and refusing an election would've rained down the negative press on Labour, people think the result was bad? Imagine if Corbyn was blamed for delaying Brexit for 6 months...

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry

Labour's loss had nothing to do with its policies. Even John Curtis said labour's policies were polling very favourably. Let's get real, Labour lost because of a media hit job on Corbyn, leaking remain voters to the Lib Dems and leavers to the Tories on brexit and the fact that much of the white working class vote that had traditionally voted labour are actually quite racist and didn't want a leader who "supported" the IRA.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

Maybe, I don't think there's much we will really learn from what ifs, it is what it is.
It was going to be much worse at times, I'm not sure the party would have recovered so I will take that small silver lining.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Labour's loss had nothing to do with its policies. Even John Curtis said labour's policies were polling very favourably. Let's get real, Labour lost because of a media hit job on Corbyn, leaking remain voters to the Lib Dems and leavers to the Tories on brexit and the fact that much of the white working class vote that had traditionally voted labour are actually quite racist and didn't want a leader who "supported" the IRA.
You beat me to it.

Labour didn't lose the election because they were "too left".

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently the Tories have just announced that they are going to look at decriminalising the non-payment of a TV licence

And we're off!

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
You beat me to it.

Labour didn't lose the election because they were "too left".

They were too much left all at once, Labour are going to need to start off more focused around some core left wing ideas, gain trust and build left over time. A mirror of Blair if people can stomach that image.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Apparently the Tories have just announced that they are going to look at decriminalising the non-payment of a TV licence

And we're off!

They are faffing around with all sorts of ideas, the Cummings revolution is a bit of a dog's breakfast, which I'm kinda happy about, all the faffing around with departments etc keeps people busy doing nothing.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

Great analysis of the election result. Too long to quote, but I thought this bit was particularly interesting -

Tons more in the pdf.

So practically trying to appeal to both sides made Labour leak votes from both camps. As expected. Neutral didn't work one bit.

Also this is interesting:

According to our analysis in this report, around 78% of voters for non-frontrunner
progressive parties in each seat would have had to vote tactically instead to block
a Conservative majority. This bar is so high as to be unrealistic.
British
progressives need to look long and hard at the consequences of their divisions
and bickering over the last decade. A dose of realism is required. It may be time
to think the unthinkable: either the centre and the left can somehow be reunited
under a single banner, or better cooperation and alignment is required among a
diverse flotilla of progressive parties and movements.

But go on with the purity tests, I'm sure it will work great in the future too.

WonderBoyd89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do the Corbynista faction of the Labour party rate Rebecca Long Bailey so highly?

I'd quite like Keir Starmer to be Labour leader bit I worry his remain stance will hurt him a bit at first but he'd forensically pull Boris apart at PMQs. Far better option than Nandy et al.

Oct 27, 2017
All the youth are exhausted cycling around for deliveroo.
Non-stop leg day for when the boomers need their doors kicked in.
Voting through Boris' deal was absolutely not the best option. Especially considering how intent they were on not allowing any scrutiny of it. It might have been better to vote through May's deal but she certainly didn't do herself any favours in getting cross party support for it. The moderate Remainer conservatives and lib dems could have also gotten over themselves and supported a government of national unity.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
More about the Brexit vote:

According to Datapraxis estimates based on the final YouGov private MRP estimates on 11 December 2019, 900,000 to 1 million of Labour's 2017 Leave voters will have ended up backing Boris
Johnson or the Brexit Party.
But a larger number of Labour's voters – over 1.3 million according to our numbers – switched to other Remain parties. Importantly, many of the Labour Remain switchers will also have been in majority Leave seats.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
They were too much left all at once, Labour are going to need to start off more focused around some core left wing ideas, gain trust and build left over time. A mirror of Blair if people can stomach that image.

Build everything around a green revolution for the north/midlands? Nationalising utilities and higher taxes for the rich can be spun easily to fit that narrative. Keep the tuition fee scrap and rent control to prevent the LDs from gaining ground in the big cities. Obviously keep the promise to end NHS privatisation as that at one point overtook Brexit as the main issue for the election.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Non-stop leg day for when the boomers need their doors kicked in.

Voting through Boris' deal was absolutely not the best option. Especially considering how intent they were on not allowing any scrutiny of it. It might have been better to vote through May's deal but she certainly didn't do herself any favours in getting cross party support for it. The moderate Remainer conservatives and lib dems could have also gotten over themselves and supported a government of national unity.
That doesn't matter now as there won't be any scrutiny now either. It was either vote Boris' deal or May's deal either were preferable to where we are now.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
the remain/leave surveys seem incomplete atm given that there was a big turnout differential. turnout went up in many remain seats where the lib dems and greens did better, whereas it went down in the red wall seats where tribal labour voters preferred to stay at home than vote for either the hated tories or corbyn's labour trying to overturn the referendum.

you can't poll the policies individually because people vote for a package

like you could poll britain's favourite foods and ppl would lischocolate cake, ice cream etc...yet if you polled the desirability of a diet consisting solely of those popular treats and suddenly most people would decide it was unhealthy and offputting

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Labour leaked votes everywhere:

share68j7n.jpg

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds more like there was no pleasing the leave vote and the remain vote wanted more than a referendum. Trying to go for both fucked labour. The Tories were already the leave party, if that's a voter's one issue, why go with labour's referendum stance when you're just an idiot who wants "brexit done" and over with? Leave labour voters either stayed home or voted Tory.

Which is what I thought was always the issue with proposing a leave deal Labour style. The leavers had already made their choice so trying to swing them with a another proposal was a dead end.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
"Get Brexit Done" was so powerful.

We laughed and now we cry

Yes:
The YouGov public model also predicted that 5% of the electorate this time would be composed of people who voted Leave in 2017 but abstained in the 2017 elections. This group of almost 3 million people, some of them 2015 UKIP voters and some people who typically do not vote in general elections, arguably played a much more significant role in the Conservatives' success than any shift amongst Labour Leavers. These disillusioned ultra-Brexiteers were probably the main target of Dominic Cummings's "Get Brexit Done" message.

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't matter now as there won't be any scrutiny now either. It was either vote Boris' deal or May's deal either were preferable to where we are now.
Voting through Boris' deal would have been incredibly damaging to Labour Remainer support, even in a post-Brexit world. Pretty sure I remember the Lib dems crowing about the <20 Labour MPs that voted for the bill's second reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.