• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

No surprise Thornberry didn't want an election. Was the wrong time.

I wrote to the leader's office warning it would be "an act of catastrophic political folly" to vote for the election, and explained exactly why we should not go along with it. I argued that the single issue of Brexit should not be enough to give Johnson a five-year mandate to enact his agenda on every issue. Instead, I said we should insist on a referendum on his proposed deal, to get the issue of Brexit out of the way before any general election.

When I raised this at the shadow cabinet, and spoke forcefully against an election, some colleagues nodded along, but the loudest voices were pro-leave colleagues insisting that we should vote with Johnson. So we wilfully went into a single-issue election with no clear position on that issue and, as every pollster predicted, we were brutally squeezed by all the other parties with an unequivocal policy on Brexit, all of them sharing a clear strategy to eat into Labour's base.

All over the country, we could see ourselves going backwards, despite the incredible hard work of our brilliant volunteers, councillors and candidates. They saw this result coming a mile off, and were amazed that the people running the campaign could not.

Worst of all, while we tried to focus on the implications of Brexit for the NHS, the Tories more successfully tied Labour's ambiguity on the issue to their other main argument: that Jeremy Corbyn could not be trusted with the levers of power – a complete contrast with 2017, when his clear principles and authenticity had been major assets.

People can argue that our position should have been more pro-leave or more pro-remain, but the reality is we should never have allowed a Brexit election, which was Johnson's obvious strategic goal from the moment he took office.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
They (the media) will probably use that, and his knighthood as a stick to beat him with, despite his humble upbringing and human rights work.

exactly, is a multi millionaire "sir" who is from a London bubble, able to represent the red wall of labour former voters who have left the party?

if he was a remainer , it would be easy pickings

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It really shouldn't of happened.

I knew the moment the election was called that this would happen.

Corbyn had a problem in the sense he was calling for an election prior so suddenly his offered it with the Lib Dems and SNP also behind an election so saying no was difficult.

Labour MP's voting through the Brexit Bill didn't help.

In her memo to Mr Corbyn, Ms Thornberry wrote: "We need to ask the question, 'What would we prefer? Boris Johnson in power for a few more months until a referendum, or Boris Johnson with a parliamentary majority for five years, and a mandate to do whatever else is on his anti-public services agenda?"

Her detailed memo said Mr Johnson had aimed from the start to force a "Brexit election" and unlike Theresa May in 2017 would succeed.

"Much as we might wish it, we must all realise that pattern will not be repeated this time around," she wrote. "If we are honest, we know they will likely succeed in turning the general election into a simple choice on Brexit where Theresa May failed, not least because of the imminence of the decision, and the fact that it can genuinely be presented as a 'crisis election'."

She was spot on.

Last edited:

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once the Lib Dems and SNP were on board with an election, there was no way Labour could keep opposing it. They didn't have the numbers to stop it.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
I remember everyone in these threads yelling at Corbyn for looking weak and not voting for an election immediately

And complaining about how we were never going to get a referendum through parliament

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I'll stand by what I said - an election was needed.

Just because it didn't the go the way that was hoped, doesn't change that in my mind.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Lib Dems were even more stupid, what exactly were they hoping to achieve?

a2q42ux4mek31.png

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The election couldn't be avoided once everyone and the rebels without a cause pissed away every other option. It wasn't exactly helpful to look like clueless idiots going around in circles.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Can we all just agree that Labour/Corbyn/etc were basically damned if you do, damned if you don't.

They were screwed no matter what.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
All of a sudden being the son of a toolmaker and sick nurse makes you the born to rule. I'm suspicious of any normal person trying to concern troll or even repeat such pathetic ideas.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember everyone in these threads yelling at Corbyn for looking weak and not voting for an election immediately

And complaining about how we were never going to get a referendum through parliament
Indeed. You can dig through the Brexit OT and see plenty of clamouring for an election or asking why Corbyn hadn't called one before a no deal exit on October 31st had even been ruled out.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Corbyn had a problem in the sense he was calling for an election prior so suddenly his offered it with the Lib Dems and SNP also behind an election so saying no was difficult.

Labour MP's voting through the Brexit Bill didn't help.

She was spot on.
She definitely is spot on.

Can we all just agree that Labour/Corbyn/etc were basically damned if you do, damned if you don't.

They were screwed no matter what.
Pretty much, unfortunately.

Blair only got in after getting into bed with Murdoch.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Indeed. You can dig through the Brexit OT and see plenty of clamouring for an election or asking why Corbyn hadn't called one before a no deal exit on October 31st had even been ruled out.

It is probably a slightly better option than looking like you are being dragged into one against your will. The best option was to turf the oaf out and take control of the levers first.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best option was to turf the oaf out and take control of the levers first.

And then there were all the people who were convinced it would be a better option to try to persuade the entire parliamentary Labour party to back Ken Clarke as temporary PM than it would be to persuade a handful of Lib Dems to back Corbyn

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Burgon was on Politics Live today.

How was he?

Haven't seen it but I do like Richard, and the more lawyers we have near the top the better. Especially during times where the government wants to roll back workers rights and look to reform the way the high courts operate.

But he's too much of an easy target. The same "loony left" and anti-Semite smears will continue if he's deputy/leader. Iirc he did say something about zionism that british jewry did not like much.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
No particular problem with Thornberry or the argument that Labour walked into an election being fought on unfavourable terms but anybody that thinks the previous parliament was going to vote in favour of a second referendum and wasn't going to vote for Johnson's withdrawal agreement is flat wrong.

If your sole or primary motivation was stopping Brexit, an election was the only option and a gamble worth taking.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
Someone I always thought was shit but I kinda realise is actually really good at speaking is Barry Gardiner, when you consider who/what he had to defend he did a pretty good job.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Someone I always thought was shit but I kinda realise is actually really good at speaking is Barry Gardiner, when you consider who/what he had to defend he did a pretty good job.

Yeah, I thought he was promoted against his will in the beginning, but he's usually good and also good entertainment now and again, it would be a shame to lose him completely.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blair is a disgusting human being but he's not wrong on this. Having a GE while Brexit remained unresolved was always going to be incredibly dangerous for Labour.

It's also clear now that the main reason Labour lost semi-respectably in 2017 was because of that suicidal manifesto the Tories ran. Against a more typical Tory manifesto this time around, Corbyn's politics were an utter failure.
And racism

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No particular problem with Thornberry or the argument that Labour walked into an election being fought on unfavourable terms but anybody that thinks the previous parliament was going to vote in favour of a second referendum and wasn't going to vote for Johnson's withdrawal agreement is flat wrong.

If your sole or primary motivation was stopping Brexit, an election was the only option and a gamble worth taking.

Wasn't it Labour MP's that got it over the line

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some Labour centrists make fun of Barry Gardiner but he's actually a very passionate and articulate man, which is a good combination when you need to distil a complex point into a TV soundbite. He should stick around.

I think the next Labour leader, whoever they may be, needs to be a unifying force above all. If the centrist MPs rig the selection and make the decision between lots of candidates unappealing to the left, they will be foolishly taking their base for granted and I expect the party to not only bleed members, but voters. Remember, all the people who voted Labour in 2017 are potential voters for a strong progressive manifesto, as far as I see it, even if the drama of Brexit ultimately put them off and they stayed home or switched Tory to "get Brexit done". That's nearly 40% of the electorate, assuming the message and leadership are strong. Plus we have a large portion of the electorate who voted Labour last week who will be heartbroken if New Labour types take over the party and undo all the work of the last five years, merely out of spite (or to try and get good, well-meaning people to leave the party).

The way I see it is that there is a majority building up that will wash away the Tories all across the country, and they're generally under the age of 45 right now. And the more Tories fuck things up then the more people we have coming of age who will utterly loathe them. So the short-term aim of any Labour leadership is to not take us back to 2015, but to build on what we've got and learn from the mistakes and successess of the last five years. Obviously we want to win the 2024/2025(?) election, but we're not going to get anywhere fast if we have a candidate who stokes the fires of the Labour civil war.

I'd consider the two worst choices to be Jess Phillips and Rebecca Long Bailey. Jess Phillips because she's been injecting poison into the party for the last five years (undoubtedly contributing to where we're at now) and doesn't even deserve to have a shot at it for her disgusting behaviour, and RLB because rightly or wrongly she's seen as a puppet of Corbyn and McDonnell and the same people who sabotaged Corbyn's leadership will try to sabotage her leadership.

I like Kier Starmer personally, but I'm not sure he can lead us to an election victory because he has strong Remain credentials and that's electoral poison right now. If the leadership election is called when the wheels start coming off Brexit well and truly (say, in six months time) then I think he'd be a far stronger candidate, but first impressions with the kinds of people we need to win over will kill him on day 1. I think Emily Thornberry gets people's backs up too much.

But I'm open-minded about those two. It's a tough choice, however, and I'd like to see who throws their hat in.

Oct 27, 2017
Who ever comes out of the contest as Labour leader, the whole party needs to accept it and back them.

Boris has cleared out anyone who would oppose him internally already and pretty much all that's left is yes-men and sycophants. The end result of that is that what he presents to the nation is a"unified" party — the last thing Labour need is a very public civil war about its future while Boris is able to present the illusion of unity. The media will have a field day amplifying the optics of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.