TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
We're barely half a week into the campaign, and the Tories are already playing what can only be described as an absolutely filthy game if politics.

And they're so incompetent it's still not having any positive impact for them.

Over the weekend Sunak went to his local wethers to talk to Boomers about his national service plan and get a good photo op, and all they wanted to talk about was the drenching he got last Wednesday and why he didn't have an umbrella.

I had to double check to make sure this wasn't a spoof account.

Lee Anderson literally said he can't be racist because he has a brown friend. Satire is dead.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Only a racist would mention their skin colour - proceeds to immediately do exactly what he complained about.

I imagine he was attempting to do a mocking irony thing, possibly without mentioning the guy's name, but given the accusation in the first place it just plays utterly straight

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
So one thing that bugged me a lot earlier was Anne-Marie Trevelyan saying that the UK's training of Ukrainian soldiers shows that they can totally train the 30,000 extra conscripts this National Service plan is envisaging, and it's so misleading that I went and looked this shit up.

So the training the Ukrainians are getting is based on the 5 week Army Reserve course. UK Army Basic Training lasts for 13 weeks.

The Ukrainians are training with the assistance of international (not even just NATO) trainers, 950 of them in total. One rather suspects that those personnel won't be available for training our own conscripts.

The Ukrainians also obviously supply their own NCOs and Officers for the training. For ours we'd need to find new NCOs and Officers, as you can't obviously expect an 18 year old to lead a company. This'd be another huge number of soldiers, taken away from the regular forces somehow. We're talking in the thousands. (And if you're asking why the kids can't just become Corporals/Sergeants themselves, it takes 6-8 years for a Corporal to be trained, and 12 years for a Sergeant.)

Furthermore, given it's a wartime emergency, I suspect the facilities for housing the Ukrainians are not up to the standard you'd expect for the British Army, which is already in a shambolic state. Adding in another 30,000 soldiers a year is going to be a hideously expensive and time consuming housing drive. Thankfully the UK Government is great at building houses.

Finally, Operation Interflex, which is the name for the Ukrainian training scheme, managed to train 30,000 Ukrainians in the 16 months since it started in July 2022. 16 months is not 12 months.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
So one thing that bugged me a lot earlier was Anne-Marie Trevelyan saying that the UK's training of Ukrainian soldiers shows that they can totally train the 30,000 extra conscripts this National Service plan is envisaging, and it's so misleading that I went and looked this shit up.

So the training the Ukrainians are getting is based on the 5 week Army Reserve course. UK Army Basic Training lasts for 13 weeks.

The Ukrainians are training with the assistance of international (not even just NATO) trainers, 950 of them in total. One rather suspects that those personnel won't be available for training our own conscripts.

The Ukrainians also obviously supply their own NCOs and Officers for the training. For ours we'd need to find new NCOs and Officers, as you can't obviously expect an 18 year old to lead a company. This'd be another huge number of soldiers, taken away from the regular forces somehow. We're talking in the thousands. (And if you're asking why the kids can't just become Corporals/Sergeants themselves, it takes 6-8 years for a Corporal to be trained, and 12 years for a Sergeant.)

Furthermore, given it's a wartime emergency, I suspect the facilities for housing the Ukrainians are not up to the standard you'd expect for the British Army, which is already in a shambolic state. Adding in another 30,000 soldiers a year is going to be a hideously expensive and time consuming housing drive. Thankfully the UK Government is great at building houses.

Finally, Operation Interflex, which is the name for the Ukrainian training scheme, managed to train 30,000 Ukrainians in the 16 months since it started in July 2022. 16 months is not 12 months.

As someone's who's lived in the area south of Salisbury Plain too - the MoD actually has some homes going spare, between army restructuring and the housing developments around Larkhill and Bulford. Several of the former have been refurbished for military housing since, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had some 'early' tenants, as it were.

Or, there was existing capacity that would be quickly eaten by a new and permanent expansion of the armed forces suddenly sprung on them

Titantodd

May 3, 2023

It's cool, they'll get around to building 40 new barracks just as soon as they put the finishing touches on those 40 new hospitals.

Rinku_

May 4, 2023
I mean what else do you expect him to say? It's not like Biden where most Israeli weapons have stars & stripes on them so he has leverage he's not using. All he can do is say 'stop killing those people'.

Be harsher in his rhetoric? People love to laude his past as a human rights lawyer, yet he hasn't condemned Israel at all.

Furthermore, the UK provides plenty of intelligence and military support outside of weapons sales that he could sanction Israel with. He knows the majority of the British voter base would actually agree with sanctions against Israel and yet still acts as another dog for US foreign policy, because that's what the leader of Britain has to be.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha

I'm gonna have to update the number of Tory MPs in the OP if she gets kicked out lol.

Isn't she standing down? I assumed so with that tweet. If not, can they kick you out if Parliament is already dissolved? no time for a byelection when they've already scheduled the bye election

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even been a week since it was announced. Can only imagine what things will look like in a few weeks lol

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Isn't she standing down? I assumed so with that tweet. If not, can they kick you out if Parliament is already dissolved? no time for a byelection

They can remove the whip and kick her out the party. Pretty sure actively supporting another party gets that punishment regardless.

Parliament is only prorogued atm, it's dissolved on Thursday.

ratprophet

Jun 24, 2021

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017

hot-fuzz.gif

Fuck off Rishi, you don't represent the majority of Saints fans.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
So, I know I remarked earlier about the uncertainty of if given MPs would actually give their support to whoever the Tories have to pick out in the rush

I did not expect 'Actually they'll throw their lot in with one of the competitor

Fake edit:
I think Baker is fully taking the piss and letting Sunak suffer for it

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I believe it's expected to be a Baker loss/very close result, but it would be a bit funny if his polling improved because he fucked off to Europe.