• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This does not make sense at all.
There has been some odd takes over the past few weeks, months, lol.

Sure it does, the sum total of units being sold this gen doesn't look like it's outstripping last gen at all. New players are picking pc or mobile/tablet platforms

I don't mean that there's literally 0 people buying year on year but the majority of people who are buying consoles from Xbox and PlayStation imo are people who were already buying Xbox and PlayStation
We shall see how true this is when GTA VI launches.

A game that isn't even launching on PC until later.

Jammerz

Apr 29, 2023
Sure it does, the sum total of units being sold this gen doesn't look like it's outstripping last gen at all. New players are picking pc or mobile/tablet platforms

I don't mean that there's literally 0 people buying year on year but the majority of people who are buying consoles from Xbox and PlayStation imo are people who were already buying Xbox and PlayStation

Maybe the console market as a whole isn't growing.

But playstation defintley can grow bigger then last gen.

They had 30% new players who didn't own a ps4

www.gameshub.com

Sony says 30% of active PS5 users never owned a PS4

New financial results from Sony reveal that 30% of all monthly active users (MUAs) on PS5 have no activity on PS4 consoles.

Not only that if xbox does really exit console or loses signifcant marketshare sony can capitilise on that.

The playstation and xbox casual audience interesect, and these people aren't building gaming rigs and mobile/tablets isn't devices best suited for some of the games alot of casuals play on consoles.

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just because Xbox keeps trending down doesn't mean the entire console business is in the mud.

PS5 and Switch are doing fine.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Ps5s problem is that it hasn't had a price drop. At this time last console cycle the ps4 was much much cheaper and the Pro was already out. I imagine it is hard to attract a lot of new people and general fence sitters with an expensive console; the more price sensitive consumers would normally start coming on board due to price drops, but this hasn't happened.

Also GTA 6 is coming.

psyrus

Aug 10, 2023

According to Sony, 30% of PS5 users never had a PS4, so your numbers don't add up. A lot of people haven't upgraded yet. When GTA6 comes out, and the sport games leave last gen behind, more people will be picking up consoles.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

I think that it possibly is more of a case that there isn't enough to attract people to jump into a new gen yet. Previous platforms still deliver technically and with titles, current release cadence on new platforms is pretty sluggish, and Switch is about to see the jump to a new platform.

Jul 2, 2021
Not dying just not seeing new entrants into the sector

Everyone who wanted a console has bought one

When all is said and done this gen will end with PS5 selling as much as the PS4.
The Switch (between two generations) is on its way to sell 150 million. So the Nintendo ecosystem catched those who left the other platforms. And I'm sure the Switch 2 launch will be gigantic and the new hybrid console will sell as good as the Switch 1.
The only console that is losing people is the Xbox Series.

2025 will be massive for the console industry with GTA6 and Switch 2.

Last edited:

dose

Oct 29, 2017
GSD actually is an initiative from the major publishers themselves, the ones that are members of the association and are open to sharing their digital sales data. I reckon Nintendo is part of the association as well, but does not share digital data. Many more publishers, mainly PC focused ones, are not part of the association and thus don't share any digital data either.
Understood, thanks for the explanation.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
According to Sony, 30% of PS5 users never had a PS4, so your numbers don't add up. A lot of people haven't upgraded yet. When GTA6 comes out, and the sport games leave last gen behind, more people will be picking up consoles.

You also got to take into that there are gamers who no longer play games anymore and may never upgrade.

So while that 30% could be new gamers coming of age to get a console there could also be 30% of older gamers who have given it up as a hobby.

Suntzupp

Mar 26, 2022
He literally explained why there is a decline. No game released which is as huge as Hogwarts legacy. Huge stock release after shortage in the previous year. Console market is not dead lol. Switch 2 launch and GTA 6 on consoles will show you otherwise

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
He literally explained why there is a decline. No game released which is as huge as Hogwarts legacy. Huge stock release after shortage in the previous year. Console market is not dead lol. Switch 2 launch and GTA 6 on consoles will show you otherwise

Also sports games as well are in old Gen, specifically FC. Once that changes more people will come over as well.

Jammerz

Apr 29, 2023
Also sports games as well are in old Gen, specifically FC. Once that changes more people will come over as well.
Yeah there are several games that i can see that cause a massive shift.

Sports(Madden ,NBA,FIFA), COD and GTA.

Those three alongside all the GAAS stuff like fortnite is really making people hold onto last gen consoles.

You can even see it in the spanish charts, fifa on ps4 isn't that far off the ps5 fifa sales.

psyrus

Aug 10, 2023
You also got to take into that there are gamers who no longer play games anymore and may never upgrade.

So while that 30% could be new gamers coming of age to get a console there could also be 30% of older gamers who have given it up as a hobby.
Then that's a general decline in all of gaming, not just console gaming.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
When all is said and done this gen will end with PS5 selling as much as the PS4.
The Switch (between two generations) is on its way to sell 150 million. So the Nintendo ecosystem catched those who left the other platforms. And I'm sure the Switch 2 launch will be gigantic and the new hybrid console will sell as good as the Switch 1.
The only console that is losing people is the Xbox Series.

2025 will be massive for the console industry with GTA6 and Switch 2.
Would not be surprised if it sold more due to the gen potentially being a year longer, and unlikely to be a collapse like from COVID.

Oct 27, 2017
This whole "consoles are dying/delcining" nonense i thought we left it back in 2013. Like seriously people been saying how consoles are gonna go tue way of the dodo for over 10 years and it still didnt happen.

Jul 2, 2021
Would not be surprised if it sold more due to the gen potentially being a year longer, and unlikely to be a collapse like from COVID.
More than the PS4? It's possible. But with the Covid/chip shortages at the beginning of this generation and the high price for the PS5 hardware it's possible that it won't grow much. Still impressive to reach the PS4 overall sales after all that.

Oct 25, 2017
Context literally right there. The lack of critical thinking is rather impressive.

Betting against things like GTA and Switch 2 is certainly a choice as well.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I haven't been keeping up with the FPS/TPS shooter genre but HD2 feels like the first, really fresh take in a long time (in addition to being a very polished game out the gate).

I'm nearly 30 hours in and still excited to play more!

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
People will get so confused when GTA 6 releases as a game exclusive to dying consoles and will report new sales records.

TimotheusNL

Jun 9, 2023
Crazy results for Helldivers 2. What a game.

Just because Xbox keeps trending down doesn't mean the entire console business is in the mud.

For some reason I keep reading this narrative, that somehow Microsoft's inability to sell Xboxes is getting extrapolated to the entire console industry being in dire condition. Meanwhile Switch and Playstation are doing record numbers. Make it make sense.

This industry absolutely has issues with rising cost of AAA game development and we'll likely see things change in that space, but the console hardware business is steady booming.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
This whole "consoles are dying/delcining" nonense i thought we left it back in 2013. Like seriously people been saying how consoles are gonna go tue way of the dodo for over 10 years and it still didnt happen.
Well because the XB is declining significantly in comparison, the conversation is now being pushed to consoles are dying.

More than the PS4? It's possible. But with the Covid/chip shortages at the beginning of this generation and the high price for the PS5 hardware it's possible that it won't grow much. Still impressive to reach the PS4 overall sales after all that.
More so that the final year of the PS4 before saw sales collapse, in a way that 2027-2028 should not.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Consoles arnt dying there just not growing.

stilgar

Nov 8, 2017
The consoles aren't the issue (well except for the Switch, arguably), the games are. If there is any issue at all.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
They will just have to figure out how to make em cheaper again next time, that's when console sales have a chance to grow again.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Unless there is a permanent price drop expect YOY drops from all regions.

Doesn't mean consoles are dying, just that you can't go 3 + years without a price drop(unless your nintendo).

Even worse price has increased in some regions since launch.....

The Switch Lite was there way of dropping the price by $100. The PS5 on the other hand had its cheapest SKU go UP by $50 last year

kxs

Jul 25, 2022
From the Japanese weekly sales chart we concluded that Final Fantasy is dying.

From the UK monthly sales chart we concluded that consoles are dying.

What will we find out after US charts?

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
I mean it isnt, its a much better console too. Xbox has more of a software issue. Funnily its kind of a opposite wii u in that sense. Strong 3rd party and hardware but weaker first party
it is absolutely doing much better than the wii u lol. it has good first party (ofc not nintendo level), waaaaaaaaaaay better 3rd party support, way better sales. comparing both is fanboy drivel stuff.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Crazy results for Helldivers 2. What a game.

For some reason I keep reading this narrative, that somehow Microsoft's inability to sell Xboxes is getting extrapolated to the entire console industry being in dire condition. Meanwhile Switch and Playstation are doing record numbers. Make it make sense.

This industry absolutely has issues with rising cost of AAA game development and we'll likely see things change in that space, but the console hardware business is steady booming.
Same narrative popped up in 2013...that time it was because of the Wii U.

Funny how long that narrative lasted before the Switch and changed after the Switch.

Seems like most of the time one platform having issues somehow equals the entire industry.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
They will just have to figure out how to make em cheaper again next time, that's when console sales have a chance to grow again.

The PlayStation consoles are more expensive in the UK compared to last gen launch aligned, the Xbox consoles are cheaper. Both manufacturers need a price drop though. £480 too high for where we are now in the life cycle.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
gotta say though, ps5 is doing extremely well but saying that the high fidelity console biz and high fidelity game biz isn't seeing issues sure is burying your head in the sand. We'll see how the Switch 2 deals with this.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 and helldivers beasting. No surprise on switch it's on its way out. Xbox is just Xbox.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020

Switch the platform is doing fine but it ignores the fact that in order to get to fine you have to discount how dominant Nintendos handheld position was before they folded both hardware ecosystems into one hybrid one

Even the dark Nintendo times of wiiu and 3DS combined performed as admirably as the switch is as a hybrid for those two market segments. And the 7th gen timeline of DS and Wii crushed them all.

The console business is saturated, it's not an attack on consoles to recognise that and everyone saying wait for gta6 - I hope that game gets more people into console, I hope that works but waiting 11 years for rockstar to inject the console market share with new blood isn't the win you think it is. That's a dire assessment imo

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
gotta say though, ps5 is doing extremely well but saying that the high fidelity console biz and high fidelity game biz isn't seeing issues sure is burying your head in the sand. We'll see how the Switch 2 deals with this.

The issue isn't really from a console perspective, but more from a software profit perspective. Which is obviously still bad, but the audience is there at least. Sony just needs to figure out how to grow it or get that existing userbase to spend more money.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Switch the platform is doing fine but it ignores the fact that in order to get to fine you have to discount how dominant Nintendos handheld position was before they folded both hardware ecosystems into one hybrid one

Even the dark Nintendo times of wiiu and 3DS combined performed as admirably as the switch is as a hybrid for those two market segments. And the 7th gen timeline of DS and Wii crushed them all.

The console business is saturated, it's not an attack on consoles to recognise that and everyone saying wait for gta6 - I hope that game gets more people into console, I hope that works but waiting 11 years for rockstar to inject the console market share with new blood isn't the win you think it is. That's a dire assessment imo
People waiting for games to upgrade, in fact one of the biggest games in history, is not dire.

The issue isn't really from a console perspective, but more from a software profit perspective. Which is obviously still bad, but the audience is there at least. Sony just needs to figure out how to grow it or get that existing userbase to spend more money.
Specifically more money on fp games.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I don't see any evidence for console business failing

i do see evidence for xbox business failing, but that should not be extrapolated to the other console platforms that are actually doing well

i also see some evidence for many publishers struggling in how to manage budgets for their games, but i don't think that's industry-wide and it's also not a fundamentally unsolvable problem

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
People waiting for games to upgrade, in fact one of the biggest games in history, is not dire.
So then the industry has left behind its innovative phase and is following the movie trend of more heavily relying on blockbuster tentpole avengers movies (is this outdated now? Would avatar be a better analogy?) show signs of health?

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
no the wii u just sucked
baby-angry.gif

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

I do appreciate you acknowledging one of the strengths of Nintendo is/was their handhelds and what the Switch as a hybrid means for Nintendo.

Because depending on the topic the hybrid nature of the Switch allows for some incredible goal post moving I have never really witnessed before.