• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
We all know spiders have 8 legs and it shows since the game keeps selling massively. Waiting on that 1 month sales update from Sony.

FIFA launched this week and is unsurprisingly already the new #1 for the year. Spider-Man is the new #2 for the year as per the below quote where the first 4 weeks of Spider-Man is compared to the life time to date sales of Far Cry 5.
Sony's game is now the second best-selling game of the year as it has overtaken Far Cry 5 in just four weeks. It's an impressive achievement for the PS4 title, as it is only available on one platform (admittedly, the UK's most popular console).
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-takes-no-1-but-physical-launch-sales-plummet

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Awesome to hear.
It's definitely one of the best games of the year for me.
The story and characters were fantastic and everything else was just as good.
Well deserved.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty crazy. Great year for Sony then with two record breaking blockbusters. Reckon they'll end the gen with at least five 10m+ sellers.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Not to take away from what is clearly a very successful game, but all of these UK sales stats and threads mean little in 2018 when they're not including downloads. When even FIFA is 20% down year over year in Europe, then their sales tracking is becoming useless, because I'm sure there aren't 20% fewer people buying FIFA

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Not to take away from what is clearly a very successful game, but all of these UK sales stats and threads mean little in 2018 when they're not including downloads. When even FIFA is 20% down year over year in Europe, then their sales tracking is becoming useless, because I'm sure there aren't 20% fewer people buying FIFA
They don't mean anything but yeah, we need to be carefull. Remember: during its first week, Spider-Man did twice as much as God of War in the UK. Worldwide, it only did 200K more.

OP
OP
bombshell

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
It's a same year comparison, so changes to the digital adoption between release of FC5 and Spider-Man are minimal. Isn't your point also to the disadvantage of Spider-Man since digital continues to grow, but this is a physical only comparison between two games?

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Flaunt it
5Rm9.gif

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Hope this means Disney/Marvel will stop fucking around with mobile garbage for quick profit or giving exclusive license to publishers.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hope this means Disney/Marvel will stop fucking around with mobile garbage for quick profit or giving exclusive license to publishers.
I mean, I'm sure Marvel: Contest of Champions has still made more revenue than Spider-Man by a factor of about a thousand haha. Hopefully this means we get more great console games, but Disney isn't going to turn away from money haha

It's a same year comparison, so changes to the digital adoption between release of FC5 and Spider-Man are minimal. Isn't your point also to the disadvantage of Spider-Man since digital continues to grow, but this is a physical only comparison between two games?

My point is literally only that saying Spider-Man has outsold lifetime sales of FC5 in a month needs to have a massive asterisk because it's not considering a big portion of the market. That's all. Your OP didn't mention that distinction, so I wanted to point it out, because it's only a true statement if you're looking at it through a specific lens. FC5 has been on sale for months, and has been discounted on PSN and XBL a few times, so there's a good chance that it's still leading in raw unit sales.

Again, that's not to take away from Spider-Man's success, I'm just pointing out that your OP left out information that I would consider relevant.

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
"Linear story driven games don't sell!" Next time somebody writes this I will just point to this thread.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
amazing success, sony's strategy to invest in great and blockbuster first party games is really paying off.

but I was told Smash would outsell this game because it wasn't getting 10s on OpenCritic!
i mean, when all is said and done, smash will for sure sell a lot more. that's an evergreen title that will continue selling for a few years.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
That might open the door for more platform exclusive Marvel games for Sony. I thought Spider-Man was a bit of an anomaly with its exclusivity, but when it worked this well...

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great exemple of a fruitful work between a publisher and a studio in an independent partenership. Bravo Insomoniac.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"Linear story driven games don't sell!" Next time somebody writes this I will just point to this thread.

I think you mixed something up here. ;) It's single player games that were declared to be dead, not linear games. Spider-Man isn't even a linear game.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I adjusted the thread title given it only counts physical sales.

Oct 25, 2017