Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
d91.gif

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Much like Destiny 2 and other AAAs, the digital share can overcome the drop in physical.

DarthGoomba

Oct 30, 2017
They will have to earn the remaining 60% through Loot Crates ;-)

But on a more serious note, I hope that this scares developers enough to think twice about doing this again.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Still need to know the digital figures because 2015 ain't 2017 but still: Dang.

Stupid question that I need to ask: Is it for the first day or the full week? Because BF1 was released on a Tuesday when BF2 was released on a Friday.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Par for the course with most UK releases. CoD managed to buck the trend, and that's a loot box haven so, I don't see this as people taking a stand against Loot Boxes.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
It's unfortunate that it'll be the devs that suffer from this and not the suits who got them into this situation. The possibility of Disney working a loophole to cancel the exclusivity contract is also looking more plausible, that would be an absolute PR disaster for EA.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. I hope this and the mainstream news reports are enough to make them reconsider this evil monetization strategy.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully, this will be a shot across the bow and send EA a message. Fix the problems EA and more importantly follow through. Then you can begin to regain the people's trust that you have so damaged.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Slight tangent, but weren't Destiny 2 physical sales down like 50%?

I'd like to believe this means people are option out of games that burned them the first time and crappy industry standards.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
Aren't all video games sequels in the UK down significantly though? Wolfenstein, evil within, destiny, etc.

Might be more telling of the market rather than the game itself

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Probably a good amount got digital so they could have access a but earlier.

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, even if the loot crate disaster hadn't happened the hype for Star Wars is nowhere as high as it was 2 years ago.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
It's only UK and digital could be huge via an edition of the game granting early access by a few days, but it still makes me happy.

EA deserve it.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
UK physical sales are down though and digital is making up most of the difference for most games. Without knowing the difference in digital sales that number really isn't that meaningful and isn't really a cause for celebration thinking that most gamers rejected the loot boxes in the game.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Good, hope it is just as bad, or worse everywhere else. Sorry, the people that actually worked hard on this game, but I can't help hoping for this in my heart.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
This news made my day. My sincere thanks to all gamers who voted with their wallet against EA's anti-consumer practices.

Astrologer

Oct 28, 2017
And EA still thinks it doesn't affect the sales, huh?

Edit: This message is posted twice because my internet's trippy here. Sorry.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So when will we hear about the digital sales having allowed BF2 to surpass the first game by miles? D:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

I'd like to believe this means people are option out of games that burned them the first time and crappy industry standards.
Yep, though Destiny 2 was probably the game that had a 40% digital attach rate here, so it's not as bad as it looked. I doubt Battlefront 2 is that high though.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Destiny 2 is always online though, so a physical version has absolutely no advantages outside of being resellable over a download. For BF2, there even is a new singleplayer, so in principle, retail should have become more desirable rather than less.

VerySerious

Oct 25, 2017
Without digital sales figures, it'll be hard to tell whether this drop is due to the microtransactions.