• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Posted by Jarod McChicken
Sumo Digital's Sonic the Hedgehog kart racing series had been in the garage for seven years before last week's launch of Team Sonic Racing, but the time off seems to have served the franchise well.

According to the UK Boxed Charts report for the week ending May 25th, Team Sonic Racing toped the All Formats Chart, more than doubling the launch week sales of its predecessor, 2012's Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. In fact, this is the first time a Sonic the Hedgehog game has topped the charts since Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games managed that feat in 2008.

The only other new release in the top 40 was Everybody's Golf VR for PlayStation 4, which ranked 22 on the charts. However, Assassin's Creed III Remastered (already out on Xbox One and PS4) did see the debut of a Nintendo Switch version, which helped propel the game to the 15th spot on the charts.

Last week's chart-topper, Rage 2, slid to fourth place with a 73% week-over-week decline in units sold. The previous week's second and third place sellers -- Days Gone and FIFA 19, respectively -- saw smaller declines and maintained their chart positions.

Oct 27, 2017
Crossposting because why not :

As expected Team Sonic Racing did great on Switch (a mere 200 units behind the PS4 version, said Chris Dring on Twitter) and probably because of that the game actually sold more than twice the launch week sales of its predecessor, 2012's Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I did not expect that but on the other hand anyone knows how much did the 2012 game ?

Also, Days Gone is still #2 on the UK chart 1 month after, and remember that game has no bundle.

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess SEGA's low budget low price solution to the declining Sonic sales seems to be working.
Didn't hear a lot of buzz around it so it's still a pretty impressive result

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
FWIW the Xbox and PlayStation versions of this game had a RRP of £30 whilst the Switch version alone was £35.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By all accounts, it is a very good game, so I'm happy for Sega and Sumo Digital that it did well.
The insane hold of Nintendo software on the British charts will never cease to amaze me. Happy that Days Gone has held on well too.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck, Transformed came out in 2012? Doesn't feel that long ago.

Aside from the roster (which is lacking even for a "Sonic only" game), that game is fantastic and well worth the price

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Turns out people actually prefer it when there's less of the SEGA mascots unlike what era pretended.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dang, double Transformed numbers? That's mighty impressive.

Need to play more of it, picked it up last week, but was at MCM over the weekend (Playing Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled whilst there amusingly enough) but really enjoyed what I played of it so far (Boost Races online allows for some crazy speed when you use the team item passing techniques to the fullest.) Glad to hear it's doing well.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Personally I think that having only Sonic characters gives it more visual consistency than All Stars.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
kinda figured it'd do well, hopefully this will make people stop trying to make out like TSR and Crash Team Racing are in some sort of blood feud when I'm sure both of them will do super well, especially in the UK where both Sonic and Crash are incredibly popular to this day

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the console versions of Transformed didn't have Football Manager so it's an unfair comparison.

Sep 28, 2018
I've seen some really shitty reviews out there for this game... Saying it should've been more like Transformed, saying 'It's no Mario Kart'...

But if you judge this game on its own merits it's an excellent, exhilarating kart racer that does enough to separate itself from the competition... with loads of content, a stunning OST, great track design, and 60fps on everything but Switch. I'm having a blast with it.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A sign of how the Sonic movie is going to get double the numbers of the Mario Bros. movie

Oct 27, 2017
I figured as much, but Zhuge said on Twitter that Transformed opening was poor, just for context. Guess the difference here is really we have Switch instead of Wii U.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Good to see. There's not enough Kart Racers around these days, so competition is light and people are clearly craving for more.

Crash Team Racing is going to do insanely well.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that I'm unhappy for Sumo, the excellent dev team, I just wish this was a Sega racer.

Hopefully the sequel will bring on Vyse, Kiryu and NiGHTS.

You could even do themed teams like a Saturn Team (Edge/Azel, NiGHTS, Burning Rangers) and a Dreamcast Team (Vyse, Ryo, Beat).

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I figured as much, but Zhuge said on Twitter that Transformed opening was poor, just for context. Guess the difference here is really we have Switch instead of Wii U.

This is one me and Zhuge disagree on

Doubling the predecessor opening in physical sales while digital has skyrocketed since 2012 is a great result.

No Team Sonic Racing isnt among the biggest releases of the year, but it's a very good performance for the franchise

Hx]

Oct 28, 2017
Kuwait
Ummazing news. Congrats to SEGA and SUMO Digital. Enjoying the game alot and can't wait for the soundtrack do drop on iTunes.

Deleted member 59

Selling double what a bomba release sold isn't that great. But good to see it doing well in the charts, relatively.

Tried finding figures over on Gaf but release was so low on the charts that i can't even find any estimates.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
It begs the question of why is the online empty ? Sumo needs to fix it quickly.

Also, what were transformed's opening numbers ? 20-40k?

Edit: From the sound of it, was it lower than 20k?t

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Really great news for a great game. Hopefully its success convinces Sega and Sumo to do at least some DLC for the game.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Impossible, I was told that being Sonic only was going to hurt their sales despite it being more popular than pretty much every other franchise in SASRT combined.

The game has its issues, but it's still a great arcade racer that SEGA can hopefully improve if they're not stupid and decide to not do DLC.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super fun game. It deserves it.

I hope the game gets some content support.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I think Transformed didn't open that well, but had a really long tail.

Correct.

Racing Transformed had a very low opening in the UK and it was word of mouth and promotions that gave the game a long tail.
In fact, First week sales for Racing Transformed were just 1.6% of lifetime sales in the UK. So that should tell you how well the game sold after it was out.

TSR isn't a bad opening, but i'd be surprised if it matches lifetime sales of transformed.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Happy to hear, the game is hella good. SUMO is just a quality dev for racers.

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
How much did Transformed cost at launch? Team Sonic can be got for £30 physical or £35 digital. That's pretty cheap and i would guess played a part in the day 1 success.

Happy the game is doing well. Sumo are awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking back at it, Sonic Racing Transformed didn't launch in europe on Wii U till several weeks later.
Game also launched on PSV, 3DS, and PC a couple month after.

Makes it slightly less impressive as I believe it sold best on Wii U (of the console releases, maybe not 3DS/PC)
Also probably explains why Tranformed had longer legs

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Battle REVENGEANCE by Platinum Studios, here we come.
I dunno about all that, but another fight game would be nice. Though if we got one I figure it would be more spectacle than substance , similar to the Naruto games. Though if they did make a legit competitive competent one I think it would be neat. I would like an extreme sports spin off though.

Semi related, I think mentioned a while ago, if they ever made another shadow game, " literally just make it revengence "