• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
I recently plugged in my Xbox 360 to my bedroom TV. I was testing around with old games that were not backwards compatible, and I decided to play the first Double Dragon (arcade version, released in 2007 on XBLA). I bought and played through it years ago, gaining most of the achievements. However, every time I launch the game now, it only allows me to play the trial version.

I'm aware that this game was delisted from the Xbox marketplace. However I was under the impression I could still play it since I did purchase it. Does it have to do with the fact that I've changed Xboxes a few times since initial purchase? Even so, I am connected to Xbox Live so it should be able to validate my license.

Is this common behavior for delisted games? Is there a fix to restore my license?

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
It just sounds like you need to restore your license by making your current Xbox 360 console the primary one and redownloading the game. You can also access your profile and download history all on Xbox's website but beware: it's a shitty website.

OP
OP
Komarkaze

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, I vaguely remember doing that a long time ago for my old 360s. My previous 360 died so I was not able to get the content copied directly. I'll try to download everything from my history again.

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the extreme bump but I'm having the exact same problem with Double Dragon. One of my 360s died so I migrated everything to another, transferred licenses, etc. Everything worked…even every other delisted game I own (half a dozen or so)…with the exception of Double Dragon.

When I click the "unlock full game" option I get an error message that the item no longer exists. The other delisted games still appear to be sitting on a server somewhere because they did download something when I had to click the unlock option but that is not the case with Double Dragon. Kind of bummed.

So I was just wondering if the OP was able to get DD working or if anybody else is having this problem? Again…sorry for the bump.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Did you folks download the game via the store and/or Marketplace Web site? Or did you go to Download History under Account Management from the console itself?

If you did the former, try the latter. Sorry if you have a long list to scroll through, though.

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
I'm posting an update to this because it is truly comical. Keep in mind, I have no realistic expectations in getting this game back. It was delisted a decade+ ago and appears to be gone from their servers. At the most, I was just wanting to make them aware of this situation as it seems to be off-nominal…other delisted games still worked just fine when I did the license transfer to the "new" Xbox 360.

So I called customer support on Monday morning. Detailed the situation as best I could. Years ago, I actually exported a spreadsheet from the marketplace to keep track of all of my purchases. I did this before the transition to the current Xbox store. So I actually have the exact date of the purchase…5/9/2007.

I was put on hold for 30 minutes while the account was researched. The rep came back and told me there was no record of that purchase. I was puzzled at that response, so I asked if they could see any other purchases I made during that timeframe. Again, I have a list so I rattled off some purchases before and after that date to see if there were records of those. These were XBLA purchases such as Sonic, Golden Axe, TMNT 89, etc. A mix of games I still have access to today despite them being delisted. All purchases within days/weeks of Double Dragon. I was then told that their database doesn't go back that far. So realizing I wasn't going to get anywhere I asked if the issue could be escalated. I was given a case number and told a supervisor would contact me within 24-48 hours.

So that gets me to today, obviously I was never contacted by a supervisor so I requested another call back. I told the rep I had a case number and would like for the call to escalated. But nope, we start the whole process over again. I play along. Mostly it's me being put on hold. But I get the same response. No record of this purchase. I ask if there is anyway online for me to check my purchase history going back that far. I was directed to "order history" tab on your account page. But my experience with that is awful. I can only scroll back a few months before it just locks up. There is no way to filter for specific dates. A very frustrating design. (If anybody knows of a better way please let me know. I would love to be able to search through my nearly 20 years of Xbox purchases for moments just like this)

So again I ask to speak to a supervisor. They ask if I would like a call back while the supervisor did some research but I declined. I said I'll hold. So that I did. I put the phone down on speaker and just let it sit. Occasionally I would ask if anybody was still there and I would immediately get a response. Still researching. I was on hold for over an hour and 15 minutes before I got to speak to the supervisor. This is close to a 2 hour phone call at this point. Mostly just me sitting on hold though.

The supervisor starts the whole process over again. I'm trying to explain as best I can the situation. He cuts me off and asks if I can redownload the content from the Xbox 360 by scrolling through the download history. (Anybody who has done this knows what an absolute pain it would be to find one purchase 10+ years ago) I told him that I can not because the content has been delisted so therefore it doesn't show the title of the content in my download queue. It lists it as "content not available"…among hundred of other pieces of content that are no longer available.

At this point over 2 hours on the phone, I was hung up on. I was kind of stunned to be honest so I hurriedly requested another callback. I get another rep. I don't even say anything about my previous experience. I just tell him my name and that I have a case number. He takes the number and immediately says "I'm sorry sir I can not hear you…can you repeat" *click* hung up on again. lol Apparently I have been put on a blacklist of sorts.

I don't even know what to think at this point. I've had some trying customer service issues over the years but this one is right up there. I tried to request a callback again but apparently I've hit my limit of requests for the day. It tells me to try back tomorrow.

Again, I have no delusions of this of ever getting resolved. So I have no idea why I'm wasting my time over a $10 purchase 15 years ago. It's not worth the hassle. I did DM @XboxSupport on twitter but haven't gotten a response. I doubt I follow up anymore. Just wanted to vent here, I guess. Hopefully this is just one bad hiccup on our way to an all digital future. Thanks for reading.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft's support when it comes to delisted content is shockingly bad - I have to keep a doc on my Google drive with links to stuff like the Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Telltale Series episodes since they do not appear in the store or in the downloads when managing content on the console. Same for WWE game DLC from 2K15 to 2K17 and some backwards compatible games lately I've noticed like SOULCALIBUR. Whenever I've taken it up with support they have been less than interested, which is very depressing given how Microsoft try to tout themselves as good at preservation with the whole BC program etc. Sorry you've had issues with them too, hope you get your game back somehow.

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
Did you folks download the game via the store and/or Marketplace Web site? Or did you go to Download History under Account Management from the console itself?

If you did the former, try the latter. Sorry if you have a long list to scroll through, though.

I actually do have the link to the marketplaceplace website (from my exported spreadsheet) where it used to reside but the page is no longer there. Since the game was delisted it is just a generic "oops" page now.

As far as scrolling through my purchases on my 360…that is basically impossible. Anything delisted just shows up as "content not available" in your download history. There are hundreds of those now. No dates attached.

And even if I could find the one that corresponds to Double Dragon, I don't have hopes that it would work because I'm not convinced it is still sitting on a server anywhere. I have all of my games downloaded on an external drive. When I did the license transfer, some were still stuck in trial mode until I loaded up the game and clicked the "unlock full version" within the game. This triggered a redownload and the games worked. Even delisted ones like Marvel vs Capcom 2, TMNT 89, etc. This doesn't happen with Double Dragon though. When you click the "unlock full version" you get a system level error that the content does not exist. Seems it's gone gone.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
The last time I checked - around 6 to 7 months ago - all the delisted content was still in my download history. "Content not available" usually corresponds to other downloads like game trailers etc.

I specifically checked for the Capcom fighting games, X-Men, Outrun, Sega Rally etc.
However...I got some error code when I scrolled through my history. Downloads worked but the error code kept popping up.

However...the record keeping is hilariously bad, I can agree with that. Since the the Xbox Marketplace was merged with the Microsoft Store I've been missing years of my purchase history.

From 2008 to 2012 I used another email address so I don't have any receipts to proof that I bought something from that time. Luckily I printed the Xbox.com purchase history like two months before it was removed. The list shows all the content, sorted by type and the purchase date. I don't think that helps however, as you said....if they don't keep the records I can never proof I bought something.

The new purchase history on account.xbox.com takes hours to load on any browser if it loads at all. Last year I had to contact support because new purchases were not visible in my account so I could not print any invoices. I had to manually upload all confirmation emails so they could add the purchases to my account.

Since the stores were merged, games randomly disappear from my owned games list too. This has happened for years and is still happening. Every 2 to 3 months something goes missing. It took a year to get Dead Space 2 back for example.

I've had to contact support several times and all I got were tips for workarounds, like using old store links or switching console regions.

In the last two weeks more than 20 games went missing from my owned games list on Series X.

This has been fixed but other stuff remains missing.

Often it doesn't make any sense. I had no problems with Tales from the Borderlands after the game was delisted. After it was relisted however, episodes 2 to 5 were gone from ready to install. I've reported this multiple times through the console dashboard.

There's other stuff as well. I always have to laugh when people praise Microsoft's preservation efforts. They can't even manage a digital store and keep track of the purchases of their customers. Sony and Nintendo are often criticized regarding their low efforts regarding the preservation of digital content, I have no idea why Microsoft is always overlooked in this regard.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
Funny timing this thread, just plugged my 360 today and re downloaded a bunch of stuff that I was really missing. Some of them have been delisted. So just scrolled trough my download history and in a matter of seconds had Out Run 2, Smash TV, Marvel Origins and others ready to play. Stuff that I have bought 10 years ago. Felt great.

OP
OP
Komarkaze

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
So I was just wondering if the OP was able to get DD working or if anybody else is having this problem? Again…sorry for the bump.

Whoa, blast from the past! Sorry to hear about your trouble redownloading this game. I was able to resolve my issue back then, and did the same for the rest of my XBLA games on my current 360.

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
Thought I'd share this one final update. After a few days of going back and forth with XboxSupport on twitter, I get this message.

"Hello again, we'd like to inform you that Please inform you that the game Double Dragon is no longer available in the store and cannot be downloaded even if it was purchased on your account.
Have a great day!"

So…yea…not a great situation here obviously. This is a bad precedent to be setting. I'm more upset at their inaction over this obvious problem on their end than I am in losing the content. Hopefully this is just a one off thing.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Thought I'd share this one final update. After a few days of going back and forth with XboxSupport on twitter, I get this message.

"Hello again, we'd like to inform you that Please inform you that the game Double Dragon is no longer available in the store and cannot be downloaded even if it was purchased on your account.
Have a great day!"

So…yea…not a great situation here obviously. This is a bad precedent to be setting. I'm more upset at their inaction over this obvious problem on their end than I am in losing the content. Hopefully this is just a one off thing.
That shit ain't right, and I'm sorry to read of the absolute pain in the ass you went through to get to this conclusion.

I don't give a damn if the legalese covers them, there's no way you should lose access to content you paid for.