• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I literally just replayed TLL for the Platinum and went through its own train section just yesterday. Fun set piece.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Two loops, first section of the chapter and the tunnel. It's really interesting! Also Uncharted 2 is one of my all-time favorite games. Unfortunately it made the rest of Uncharted mediocre.

Noobcraft

Nov 23, 2017
I knew about the loop from messing around with glitches, but I never thought about the environment changes aspect. Fun video.

Wesley

Jan 10, 2018
There was a section on this at GDC. You can watch it on YouTube for free!

Starts at 6:40 and then is discussed again at 35:30.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Two loops, first section of the chapter and the tunnel. It's really interesting! Also Uncharted 2 is one of my all-time favorite games. Unfortunately it made the rest of Uncharted mediocre.
I prefer LL... It was well paced and ended before I got bored of it.

There was a section on this at GDC. You can watch it on YouTube for free!

Starts at 6:40 and then is discussed again at 35:30.

Thanks. I love these behind the scene tricks.
It makes you appreciate the dev's efforts coming up with them.

Wesley

Jan 10, 2018
There is also some really cool stuff happening with the boat in... I wanna say Uncharted 3? Where the boat is moving in the ocean, and there are containers moving on the boat. There's even other water on the boat, maybe a pool of some sort? So they have all these layers of water simulation and other character physics happening. They're nuts!

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading when it came out that it was some sort of procedural streaming for the first part, not a loop. I remember it wrong maybe ?

trikster40

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's LL? Everybody keeps talking about it in this thread but I can't figure out what game it is.

This section was awesome in uncharted 2, great vid!

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
The train level(s) is still one of the greatest action game sequences of all time. The sheer scope of it, and how they played around with the extreme linearity of it, is genius.

What's LL? Everybody keeps talking about it in this thread but I can't figure out what game it is.

This section was awesome in uncharted 2, great vid!

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The environments in the UC2 train levels still amaze me to this day. It all feels so seamless.

The Lost Legacy is worth checking out if you're interested in this thread. That's all i'm saying about that

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I remember watching a behind the scenes of this segment years back. Uncharted 2 is still one of my most memorable gaming experiences ever. Beat the whole thing in like 2 sittings.

Ah thanks, I've got that in my backlog!
Definitely get around to it when you can. It might even be better than Uncharted 2. It's easily among the best of ND's output. Takes a lot of the excellent gameplay refinements of UC4 but trims the fat and has a good adventure romp storyline with great chemistry between the leads.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This is a bit like having a magic trick or illusion explained to you: once you know it quickly ruins everything! I suppose it's the huge advantage of linear games compared to open world games - all the smoke and mirrors you can use.

U2 is a great game though and the best in the series by a long way.

Cugel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 7, 2017
I will always remember the camera work when it slowly turns to the helicopter coming crashing on you and it is stopped at the last minute by the entrance of a bridge that the player does not see coming because of said camera work

Wesley

Jan 10, 2018
This is a bit like having a magic trick or illusion explained to you: once you know it quickly ruins everything! I suppose it's the huge advantage of linear games compared to open world games - all the smoke and mirrors you can use.

U2 is a great game though and the best in the series by a long way.

As long as I don't know the 'trick' before, it adds value for me. I want to play a game without thinking about technical aspects or game design decisions... but afterwards I love going back and seeing this stuff. I guess one problem is that once you start understanding these things you might play the game for the first time thinking, 'Well how did they do that...' and it can break the immersion for you. I spend a long time playing video games looking for level of detail (LODs) swaps. When I notice a LOD pop, when it kicks in, what's been changed; or if I don't notice it, I end up moving back and forth trying to spot it. I'm dumb.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017

Hogwash. Uncharted 3 is the GOAT, such a personal and concise story that was just dark enough. It's a shame it was basically re-told in 4. I'd kill for a tear into a universe where Hennig and Stashwick's Uncharted 4 made it to retail.

That said, the train in 2 is easily the most memorable set piece in the series. Such technical wizzardry.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is really cool. I had read about how this level was made, but never saw a video.

Are the 'flying camera' controls something that can be unlocked in game? I know Uncharted is famous for having a ton of cheats, but this is something I feel like they would reserve for devs.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i didn't think they could ever top the train level

but in LL when i jumped off the train onto a car and drove the car and and jumped back onto the train...and the game kept going, SEAMLESSLY, i realized i was wrong

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
It's endlessly fascinating how developers kind of "cheat"/trick their way into creating all kinds of different segments/congent in games.