• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread will actually tie into a different one I've been wanting to make for a few weeks now. It started when I saw threads celebrating (or studying) the depiction of different ethnicities, cultures, races, and nationalities in games. I wanted to make one about Indians in gaming- and then I realized that Indians basically have no representation in video games. It's absolutely and utterly shocking- we're talking about a seventh of the world's population here, one of the largest countries in the world, and depictions of India in video games include Dhalsim in Street Fighter and Great Tiger in Punch Out. Oh, and Gandhi in Civilization, if that counts.

Which is the larger problem- Indians don't get much, if any, depiction in video games (and, indeed, any media). The depiction Indians get is always stereotypical, and extremely harmful. I am talking about Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, which depicts Indians eating a stew of bugs and monkey brains, Apu from The Simpsons, which has single handedly done more to hurt perception of Indian people in pop culture than any other factor I can think of, Raj from the Big Bang Theory- that depiction continues to hurt the stereotype about Indian people in western media- and generally, just the fact that when Indian people are depicted in media, they're either store clerks or cab drivers, with a typically thick accent and broken English, and that's that. When India is depicted in western media, it'll always be this land of cows and snake charmers and bazaars on the streets- this bizarre mosaic image of India that is stuck in, honestly I don't know what century, but it's certainly not this one.

So, generally, yes- India and Indians do not ever get depicted properly in media (and games, which I will now stick to for this thread, because this is a thread on the gaming side). In and of itself, I am fine with that, whatever- I don't need a game to have an Indian character or be set in India for me to get into it. Of course, the issue is that when Indians are depicted in games, they're always harmful caricaturized stereotypes.

And then there is Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

First, I want to get some things out of the way- Uncharted nails having two strong female leads in a AAA game without resorting to titillation and pandering. I absolutely love how well they nailed that depiction, and in a time when so few other games manage to get it right, I'll give it credit for that. And that's where my appreciation ends.

Naughty Dog is one of the best, most influential prestige studios in the industry. When they do something, people take notice, and people pay attention. In the lead up to the game's release, they often talked about how much research they did into recreating India authentically.

giphy.gif

gif2.gif

That was all horse shit. The Lost Legacy is another further typically stereotypical depiction of the country, which just further fuels and harms the negative misconceptions people in the west hold about the place. The Lost Legacy depicts the Western Ghats (a mountain range along the western coast line of India) as this bizarre, failed, war torn state with crumbling buildings, insurgents running rampant on the streets, with bombs dropping from above on to the city as the Indian military tries to contain the insurgency, and people lament about not having running water and functioning toilets. Basically, it's like what I would imagine an actual failed state to be like- except they turn and say 'this is India'. This place with weird bazaars on the street, impromptu curfews, a local war lord ripping the place apart, ruined and crumbling cities, insurgents wantonly breaking into civilian homes to beat them up and torture them, and setting up check points on the street, with bombs being dropped by the Indian military, they say this is India.

But, but, but, you know what, I would be willing to let this go. I mean, yes, it would disappoint me that Indians typically get no accurate portrayals in media, and when they do, they are always stereotypes, even, apparently, coming from a studio like Naughty Dog- but I get that someone wants to tell a story, so they took some creative liberties and artistic license. That's fine. I mean, after all, Wolfenstein tells the story of a world where Nazis won, while they categorically did not- that's just the story setup. So, sure, Naughty Dog is just taking liberties with its depiction of India in Uncharted, right?

Except:

With Uncharted, we've always had to lean on the kind of fantasy side of reality. So we really wanted to make sure we were being as authentic as we could. We had a consultant that we brought in-house to make sure that we weren't going to be doing anything that was going to offend anybody, that we were doing everything as legitimately as we could in terms of the history and the religious aspect of that. In terms of the environmental stuff, we still spent a lot of time diving into research and what the reality of what the location is like. At the same time, we were approaching it from what we wanted to achieve from a design and art perspective. 'What's the aesthetic that we're looking for?' 'What are the different kinds of environments that we want to be exploring in the game?' then sort of fit it into the very different locations in that space, which kind of led to some really awesome kind of variety in the ruins and those jungles we were talking about.

So, this is their idea of an accurate portrayal of India.

It's hugely disappointing to me. It's a let down. I feel Naughty Dog has acted irresponsibly. Maybe you feel I am being too hyper sensitive here. But, in an era when we are vying for accurate representations of all sorts of people and diverse groups in media, and we are actually seeing accurate portrayals of people where we previously didn't, the fact that India and Indians are still stuck being depicted as exotic foreigners from a country of snake charmers is an actual, legitimate bummer (especially since, all it does is feed the stereotype and misconceptions even more- if all media you are exposed to shows India and Indians in a certain way, and you have no personal exposure to the country, what reason do you have to doubt it?). The fact that one of the most influential developers in the industry had an actual chance to take a rich setting and culture and do it justice, and instead decided to resort to the stereotypical portrayal and depiction that westerners largely hold to, is distasteful to me.
This is without me getting into the smaller problems (the languages being spoken are not only regionally inappropriate, they actually have different people speak different languages altogether- because obviously, to a person in the west who doesn't understand any of the Indian languages, how are they any different anyway?)

This is without me going into what they did with Chloe (an Australian woman who they spontaneously decided to retcon into being Indian by mysteriously making her half-Indian)- because, of course, having an actual, accurate, healthy portrayal of an Indian character that's not westernized, or not relying on the crutch of a popular, established character, is impossible.

None of this is to say that India doesn't have problems- it does, and, in fact, I've said in this post itself that it has a lot of the same problems that the game brings up. And you know what, if Naughty Dog ha wanted to respectfully deal with the plight of poverty in Indian rural belts, or the insurgencies in Kashmir, I would have lauded them for it. This is not that- it's a mishmash of every harmful stereotype and misconception of the country, basically strung together because it furthers commercial appeal to an audience that doesn't know better, and because they needed a canvas for 'war torn exotic country with culture'.

In the end, it basically comes down to, Naughty Dog had a story in mind, they wanted to tell that story, they figured India is 'exotic' and 'mysterious' enough that they could shoehorn the story into it, especially since it tied with people's perception of the place, and called it a day. It's especially disappointing to me because they, of all developers, were ones I expected to be more responsible. But nope.

TL;DR:

• India and Indians barely get represented in media and video games to begin woth
  • When they are, the depictions are stereotypical and harmful
  • Indians have all of a half dozen prominent representations in video games in a 30 year long history of the medium, and they have almost all, without exception, been further feeding these stereotypes
  • Naughty Dog is one of the most influential and respected studios around- and when it set a game in India, I had reason to be hopeful and excited
  • I was wrong to be hopeful and excited, because their depiction of India and Indians is every bit as stereotypical as any of the others
  • The wait for accurate depictions of India in western media that aren't fueled by harmful fantasies and misconceptions continues.

Last edited:

OriginalJonty

Editor at TheSixthAxis
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I'm actually starting this tonight and will keep an eye out for this. I come from an Indian family and spent quite a lot of time in the country staying with family so I'll be interested to see how misrepresented it all is.

Oct 25, 2017
I understand where your dissatisfaction comes from, but taking issue with them turning the setting into a conflict-filled one for the sake of the game seems like a weird tack. The United States is regularly turned into an amped up version of itself for video games (from GTA to Far Cry) so this doesn't seem to be unequal treatment, and I don't hear people talking about how those are what the US is actually like. If someone thinks India is actually a worn-torn warlord-run country, that's their own ignorance at fault, not Naughty Dog.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand where your dissatisfaction comes from, but taking issue with them turning the setting into a conflict-filled one for the sake of the game seems like a weird tack. The United States is regularly turned into an amped up version of itself for video games (from GTA to Far Cry) so this doesn't seem to be unequal treatment, and I don't hear people talking about how those are what the US is actually like. If someone thinks India is actually a worn-torn warlord-run country, that's their own ignorance at fault, not Naughty Dog.
I actually do address this in the OP. Like I say, I'm fine with a fantasy depiction for the sake of the story. Except:

• It is harmful when every depiction of India is along these lines in western media- the United States gets plenty of actual, accurate, normal depictions outside of the fantasy takes on it
  • Naughty Dog has stated that this depiction is 'authentic and respectful' and a product of a lot of research

Deleted member 13250

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But in that quote they specifically say it's fantasy and want to be authentic as it could be, not as they should be. They were telling a story with a war mined rebel army. Are you saying you're upset that Indians are being misrepresented as war mongers?
EDIT: It seems we just read the quotes differently. Need more context.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But in that quote they specifically say it's fantasy and want to be authentic as it could be, not as they should be. They were telling a story with a war mined rebel army. Are you saying you're upset that Indians are being misrepresented as war mongers?
I'm saying that I don't understand why every single depiction of India in video games or western media has to ultimately come down to tropes and stereotypes, without fail.

Oct 25, 2017

I was agreeing with you until I read the part in the op with the interview on how this was their accurate portrayal. That actually pisses me off more than anything in the game itself. How delusional or ignorant are they.

SuperSonic

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the contradiction with their interview. Did they get the history and religion part wrong? Does Ganesh not look like Ganesh?

Deleted member 13250

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was agreeing with you until I read the part in the op with the interview on how this was their accurate portrayal. That actually pisses me off more than anything in the game itself. How delusional or ignorant are they.
This right here is where I'm confused and need more context. I read the quote as saying they were accurately portraying Indian culture and religion, not that it's a place full of war...

OriginalJonty

Editor at TheSixthAxis
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I'm saying that I don't understand why every single depiction of India in video games or western media has to ultimately come down to tropes and stereotypes, without fail.

I think it may be down to representation in the media in general. Indians probably make up a very small percentage of game developers/TV show/movie writers in western media.

The only mainstream actor of Indian/Pakistani origin that that I can think of that doesn't take on stereotypical roles anymore in western media is Riz Ahmed. Other representations are, as you pointed out, stereotypical of South Asians.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the contradiction with their interview. Did they get the history and religion part wrong? Does Ganesh not look like Ganesh?
The interview says it's an accurate portrayal of the location.

In terms of the environmental stuff, we still spent a lot of time diving into research and what the reality of what the location is like.

That's a problem to me. Especially because, again, the once in a blue moon time India does get represented in media, this is what we get.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So there is a fictional conflict and that's harmful to India's image?
No, that's not the point, I don't care if anyone wants to talk about India's dirty laundry, I care about

The once in a blue moon time India does get represented in media, this is what we get.

I think it may be down to representation in the media in general. Indians probably make up a very small percentage of game developers/TV show/movie writers in western media.

The only mainstream actor of Indian/Pakistani that doesn't take on stereotypical roles anymore in western media is Riz Ahmed. Other representations are, as you pointed out, stereotypical of South Asians.
I guess Aziz Ansari as well. But yes, you are right, it's infuriating, because on the whole, we are moving towards accurate portrayals and representations. For some reason, India and Indians seem to be exempt from that.

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The user was warned for this post. Thread whining and dismissive drive-by posts are not tolerated. If you don't want to discuss a subject, don't enter that thread.
I remember when people would just play the game and not get offended by its content. It was usually only the out of touch Parents and Elderly that got offended by games. Now people my age are looking for reasons to take issue with a game outside the gameplay itself. Sorry, I just miss when gaming was a simplier time.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
The Lost Legacy depicts the Western Ghats (a mountain range along the western coast line of India) as this bizarre, failed, war torn state with crumbling buildings, insurgents running rampant on the streets, with bombs dropping from above on to the city as the Indian military tries to contain the insurgency, and people lament about not having running water and functioning toilets.
Pretty sure the intro of the game doesn't take place in the Western Ghats. They don't go there until they find the map. Don't think it's ever directly stated where they are at in the beginning.

Oct 25, 2017
As others are saying, I don't see the inherent contradiction.
Fiction is about improbable or impossible or heightened dramatic events. When you're talking about creating an authentic world you aren't talking about that stuff, you're talking about how much attention they put into the setting. They're talking "accuracy" the same way a historical epic would talk about nailing costumes or a city or an environment, not "and then this actually happened".

OriginalJonty

Editor at TheSixthAxis
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I remember when people would just play the game and not get offended by its content. It was usually only the out of touch Parents and Elderly that got offended by games. Now people my age are looking for reasons to take issue with a game outside the gameplay itself. Sorry, I just miss when gaming was a simplier time.
Or, you know, we'd like better representation of our cultures and people too instead of apparent stereotypes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the intro of the game doesn't take place in the Western Ghats. They don't go there until they find the map. Don't think it's ever directly stated where they are at in the beginning.
No matter where in the country it is, unless it is in the North-eastern pockets, or in Kashmir, the representation becomes inaccurate.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Except, that's not what the quote really said. They were trying to be authentic and realistic to the story and gameplay elements they had in mind. In other words, they wanted a war torn city landscape and also massive ruins to explore just outside that. These locations do not really exist in real life so they had to adapt them to real locations while attempting to be as "authentic" as possible. At the end of the day, it is a game. And, it wouldn't be fun to explore a rural, modern day Indian city with no massive ruins to explore.

I remember a time when us blacks were told to shut up and enjoy our lot in life picking cotton...

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think it highly misguided to judge a games setting beased on your interpretation of an interview.

Deleted member 23965

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"people lament about not having running water and functioning toilets". That is pretty much the India I know, a country that is really backward in human development indices and whose upper middle class is absurdly blind to this fact. I live in a fairly well-off area in one of the relatively well-off cities of India. We get one hour of running water, once in 2 days, which needs to be stored and used judiciously. Either that or dig your own bore well or rely on bottled water. The prevalence of bore wells has depleted the underground water to such an extent that not only is it impossible to strike water at reasonable depths, unusual seismic events have resulted from this. Access to sanitation is India is on par with sub Saharan Africa. The Western Ghats are definitely a very peaceful area, I would chalk the violence to creative license. Same as Far Cry 4 and Nepal.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I get your point, but at the same time, towns and NPCs are usually exaggerated in games. Uncharted games, especially, have taken liberties. After all, they are games where a supposedly well adjusted group of people go on a murderous rampage.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"people lament about not having running water and functioning toilets". That is pretty much the India I know, a country that is really backward in human development indices and whose upper middle class is absurdly blind to this fact. I live in a fairly well-off area in one of the relatively well-off cities of India. We get one hour of running water, once in 2 days, which needs to be stored and used judiciously. Either that or dig your own bore well or rely on bottled water. The prevalence of bore wells has depleted the underground water to such an extent that not only is it impossible to strike water at reasonable depths, unusual seismic events have resulted from this. Access to sanitation is India is on par with sub Saharan Africa. The Western Ghats are definitely a very peaceful area, I would chalk the violence to creative license. Same as Far Cry 4 and Nepal.
Yeah, I'm not saying that's not an issue at all (and to this day I'm too afraid to drink tap water, even in North America, because of the situation in India). I'm using that as an example to point out how the entire depiction seems to be a bundle of stereotypes and tropes.

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Or, you know, we'd like better representation of our cultures and people too instead of apparent stereotypes.

Video games aren't meant to be taken seriously though, nor is it supposed to be 100% representive of any culture/people. I still love Temple of Doom even though I know the way they depict India culture is way exaggerated.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get your point, but at the same time, towns and NPCs are usually exaggerated in games. Uncharted games especially have taken liberties. After all, they are games where a supposedly well adjusted group of people go on a murderous rampage.
Again, I have no issues with stories taking liberties with their settings, I say so in the OP itself. My larger problem is that India barely gets represented in games, and when it does, this is what we get.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Video games aren't meant to be taken seriously though, nor is it supposed to be 100% representive of any culture/people. I still love Temple of Doom even though I know the way they depict India culture is way exaggerated.
You either stop with these dismissive comments, or you'll get a time-out.

Fair warning to everyone considering going on about how "they miss the old times": don't even start. If you don't want to discuss a thread's subject, stay out of it.

OriginalJonty

Editor at TheSixthAxis
Verified
Oct 30, 2017

At the same time in my family's town in Punjab water is running 24/7. Powercuts happen now and again though. India has problems no doubt and poverty needs sorting out.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the problem, for most people, the media they are exposed to does ultimately subconsciously inform their perception of people and places. If everything you see tells you that a certain place or group of people is a certain way, you begin to tend towards believing it by default, because that's all your mind knows (it's called soft prejudice). That's why gay people had, and still have, this image of being over the top flamboyant for most average people, because that's how they were depicted in all media for the longest time.
You and I might be able to put aside media depictions with reality, but most people do not. And we're left with media that absolutely refuses to portray India or its people properly, no matter what.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Again, I have no issues with stories taking liberties with their settings, I say so in the OP itself. My larger problem is that India barely gets represented in games, and when it does, this is what we get.
True. I do wish more games would choose India as a setting and try to do it realistically. I rarely see Indians depicted in a realistic light. Hopefully in the coming years we'll see more Indian game studios/writers.

It really does become an issue because everyone around the world starts to treat Indians like they are all silly/clueless people.

Oct 25, 2017
Except, that's not what the quote really said. They were trying to be authentic and realistic to the story and gameplay elements they had in mind. In other words, they wanted a war torn city landscape and also massive ruins to explore just outside that. These locations do not really exist in real life so they had to adapt them to real locations while attempting to be as "authentic" as possible. At the end of the day, it is a game. And, it wouldn't be fun to explore a rural, modern day Indian city with no massive ruins to explore.

I remember a time when us blacks were told to shut up and enjoy our lot in life picking cotton...

Actually there are many such places in the world right now. Yemen, Syria (tomb raider did this but I never played more than intro so can't comment), Iraq etc. When they did the reveal at psx I initially thought it was somewhere in the middle East.

Also I think it would have been pretty fun to traverse a city

Deleted member 23965

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I'm not saying that's not an issue at all (and to this day I'm too afraid to drink tap water, even in North America, because of the situation in India). I'm using that as an example to point out how the entire depiction seems to be a bundle of stereotypes and tropes.

Judging from the situation in Flint, that is a wise choice. I have lived in Hyderabad and Bangalore, two of the most livable cities in India. Even in these cities the lack of water and sanitation is clear for all to see. About the rural hinterland the lesser said the better. The only places in India where the impoverished, backward in human development indices stereotype doesn't fit is the South Western state of Kerala and the North Eastern state of Mizoram.

OriginalJonty

Editor at TheSixthAxis
Verified
Oct 30, 2017

Yet we're now in an era where games are tackling serious issues. Look at Hellblade for example, a fantastic game that explores mental health issues in a well done way. Sure no ones looking at Sonic Mania for political and social meaning but when people and cultures are getting represented incorrectly I think it's fair for people of that culture to call it out.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True. I do wish more games would choose India as a setting and try to do it realistically. I rarely see Indians depicted in a realistic light. Hopefully in the coming years we'll see more Indian game studios/writers.

It really does become an issue because everyone around the world starts to treat Indians like they are all silly people.
I think the only notable 'not harmful' popular depiction of an Indian person that I can think of is Aziz Ansari in Master of None.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Remove the interview from the OP entirely. My point still stands.

Okay, but my point still stands.

You said yourself that there were sections in India that are war torn. You do have a point about the misrepresentation of India as a whole by gaming media. As an Arab I can relate with misrepresentation of brown people . Uncharted didn't just stereotype Indians, the little girl especially was used as a way to humanize Chloe and was integral to the plot.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You said yourself that there were sections in India that are war torn. You do have a point about the misrepresentation of India as a whole by gaming media. As an Arab I can relate with misrepresentation of brown people . Uncharted didn't just stereotype Indians, the little girl especially was used as a way to humanize Chloe and was integral to the plot.

And this is what I am talking about. That's it. That's my point, that's the gist of my argument, and Uncharted is just the latest (and most prominent) example I have in a long line of examples.

I have no issues with the little girl (she's actually a fairly accurate portrayal), I used that GIF to show off the bizarre bazaar they use at the start of the game, which, again, ties into the stereotype.

MDanishU

Oct 27, 2017
Houston
You are conflating things here. There was a FICTIONAL conflict here that changes the REALITY of what that location would be like. The game is framed with that in mind.

I understand what you mean about wanting more settings that are completely accurate to the reality of what is present now. I'm from Pakistan and I also wish there was better representation of south Asian culture and people in Games.

I just think the reason you are criticizing this game is a little misguided... your main argument is "this conflict doesn't happen in this part of the country, so the game is representing India poorly" when yes this conflict isn't there IRL, but Uncharted isn't IRL. The things unrelated to the conflict I found were pretty well represented.

Deleted member 13250

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see. I think others like myself are just taking exception to using Uncharted as an example considering you spend a lot of time dissecting it's war torn setting when a) its fictional and b) its only in the first hour of the game. How does the rest of the games setting resonate with you?

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Here's the problem, for most people, the media they are exposed to does ultimately subconsciously inform their perception of people and places. If everything you see tells you that a certain place or group of people is a certain way, you begin to tend towards believing it by default, because that's all your mind knows (it's called soft prejudice). That's why gay people had, and still have, this image of being over the top flamboyant for most average people, because that's how they were depicted in all media for the longest time.
You and I might be able to put aside media depictions with reality, but most people do not. And we're left with media that absolutely refuses to portray India or its people properly, no matter what.

I agree, I shouldn't assume everyone has the ability to put aside reality from fiction, my bad. In that case I can understand why you take issue with this.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are conflating things here. There was a FICTIONAL conflict here that changes the REALITY of what that location would be like. The game is framed with that in mind.

I understand what you mean about wanting more settings that are completely accurate to the reality of what is present now. I'm from Pakistan and I also wish there was better representation of south Asian culture and people in Games.

I just think the reason you are criticizing this game is a little misguided... your main argument is "this conflict doesn't happen in this part of the country, so the game is representing India poorly" when yes this conflict isn't there IRL, but Uncharted isn't IRL. The things unrelated to the conflict I found were pretty well represented.
No, I feel like I have made my point poorly if so many people think that is what I am saying. My main argument is that South Asia rarely gets major representation in games to begin with- and when it does, we get a bundle of stereotypes like Lost Legacy.

Deleted member 23965

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yet we're now in an era where games are tackling serious issues. Look at Hellblade for example, a fantastic game that explores mental health issues in a well done way. Sure no ones looking at Sonic Mania for political and social meaning but when people and cultures are getting represented incorrectly I think it's fair for people of that culture to call it out.

As far as the socio-economic depiction goes, none of the stuff is out of line. The game depicts the reality for majority of the country, you can check the HDI report released by the United Nations Development Program to confirm. The military stuff is just there for gameplay purposes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see. I think others like myself are just taking exception to using Uncharted as an example considering you spend a lot of time dissecting it's war torn setting when a) its fictional and b) its only in the first hour of the game. How does the rest of the games setting resonate with you?

I probably communicated my point poorly, then. The wartorn setting is just another stereotype that i being associated with India in prominent media again- that was all I meant. I only spent as much time dissecting it because I didn't want someone to come in and point to Kashmir and say 'but this happens in India, it's accurate, what's your problem?'

Deleted member 23489

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In all this wall of text you keep throwing around the word stereotypical depiction of the people and yet you hardly talk about what exactly you have a problem with? All I can see is this excerpt:

"The Lost Legacy depicts the Western Ghats (a mountain range along the western coast line of India) as this bizarre, failed, war torn state with crumbling buildings, insurgents running rampant on the streets, with bombs dropping from above on to the city as the Indian military tries to contain the insurgency, and people lament about not having running water and functioning toilets. Basically, it's like what I would imagine an actual failed state to be like- except they turn and say 'this is India'. This place with weird bazaars on the street, impromptu curfews, a local war lord ripping the place apart, ruined and crumbling cities, insurgents wantonly breaking into civilian homes to beat them up and torture them, and setting up check points on the street, with bombs being dropped by the Indian military, they say this is India."

Obviously ND isn't claiming India is anything like that. This is a hypothetical scenario with a made up insurgency. In order for this to be an Uncharted game there needs to be a big conflict? I am middle eastern and it never crossed my mind to be offended at the depiction Yemen. Should those from Brazil, Machu Picchu, and various other areas featured in Uncharted games be offended because tanks don't drive through buildings in their streets like depicted in a video game?

Frankly, being offended because there is a bazaar and a pickpocket is kind of absurd... I've been to India and those things are plentiful. Claiming these images as harmful is not fair. I am very certain most people playing these games don't go on thinking that India is some unsafe war torn country with insane warlords and oppressed people. I am sorry that you didn't get the peaceful modern image of India that you wanted, that would not fit into an Uncharted game. I get that being offended is fashionable nowadays but it seems like every developer needs to be robbed of their creative freedom, tiptoeing around as to not offend anyone. Can't even portray a villain nowadays.

OriginalJonty

Editor at TheSixthAxis
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
As far as the socio-economic depiction goes, none of the stuff is out of line. The game depicts the reality for majority of the country, you can check the HDI report released by the United Nations Development Program to confirm. The military stuff is just there for gameplay purposes.

I agreed earlier about the poverty issues. I think what the OP's intention with the thread was to say that people of South Asian are mired in stereotypes when it comes to representation. I think that point got lost with the focus on conflict.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In all this wall of text you keep throwing around the word stereotypical depiction of the people and yet you hardly talk about what exactly you have a problem with? All I can see is this excerpt:

"The Lost Legacy depicts the Western Ghats (a mountain range along the western coast line of India) as this bizarre, failed, war torn state with crumbling buildings, insurgents running rampant on the streets, with bombs dropping from above on to the city as the Indian military tries to contain the insurgency, and people lament about not having running water and functioning toilets. Basically, it's like what I would imagine an actual failed state to be like- except they turn and say 'this is India'. This place with weird bazaars on the street, impromptu curfews, a local war lord ripping the place apart, ruined and crumbling cities, insurgents wantonly breaking into civilian homes to beat them up and torture them, and setting up check points on the street, with bombs being dropped by the Indian military, they say this is India."

Obviously ND isn't claiming India is anything like that. This is a hypothetical scenario with a made up insurgency. In order for this to be an Uncharted game there needs to be a big conflict? I am middle eastern and it never crossed my mind to be offended at the depiction Yemen. Should those from Brazil, Machu Picchu, and various other areas featured in Uncharted games be offended because tanks don't drive through buildings in their streets like depicted in a video game?

Frankly, being offended because there is a bazaar and a pickpocket is kind of absurd... I've been to India and those things are plentiful. Claiming these images as harmful is not fair. I am very certain most people playing these games don't go on thinking that India is some unsafe war torn country with insane warlords and oppressed people. I am sorry that you didn't get the peaceful modern image of India that you wanted, that would not fit into an Uncharted game. I get that being offended is fashionable nowadays but it seems like every developer needs to be robbed of their creative freedom, tiptoeing around as to not offend anyone. Can't even portray a villain nowadays.
No, again, my problem is that every single depiction of India is stereotypically harmful. Without fail. This game is another example.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I find it bizarre that none of the houses and doors and cars in the game have Swastika symbol on them. You'll be hard pressed to find a village or even a small town here without them in real life (I have one on my door). Yeah I know the stigma around the symbol, but that is not the accurate portrayal of those villages in the game.