underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr4OTPFtLrA

Download

This fangame has been in development for over 7 years and is fully releasing now. The devs say the game is between 6 and 9 hours long, with multiple routes just like Undertale has. The soundtrack contains 135 tracks, which is actually a good bit more than what Undertale had!

Undertale Yellow is a prologue to Undertale, featuring the human with the yellow soul, Clover. It's got a new cast of characters and new locations, and features a Flowey that's more friendly than usual. I played a good bit of it and it's really impressive, can't wait to sink more of my teeth into it!

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Toby Fox is a hard act to follow but sure, looks fun.

I do love me some fangames.

(Go play some pokemon ones, there are a million of them and a surprising number of them are actually finished)

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like adding fangame or riding in the name undertale unofficially for a game that's been in development for over 7 years should just be it's own game "inspired by" at that point.

Unfortunately I feel like those things take away interest because those terms normally relate the quality / dev time of smaller projects.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Something feels a little weird to me about people making fangames based on an indie like Undertale. Like they're trying to put an oversized fingerprint on a thing that's small and personal. I mean, if Toby Fox is fine with it, then cool. I don't have much interest in playing though.

OP
OP
underFlorence

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
it was a typo by OP, right?

Right?
Undertale came out in 2015, and this game's first demo came out in 2016 - 7 years old. So yeah, it's been in the works for a while.

image.png

I've personally completed the first two areas now and while there's a few small bits of criticism (it feels like it doesn't build up the bosses as much), the other side of it is that it spends some of that time expanding on familiar (and new) areas. So far the area layouts and characters have been almost entirely original, and I appreciate that a ton. The bullet patterns are also very cute!

Can't wait to play more of this tomorrow, it really does get me into that whole Undertale/Deltarune vibe.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Something feels a little weird to me about people making fangames based on an indie like Undertale. Like they're trying to put an oversized fingerprint on a thing that's small and personal. I mean, if Toby Fox is fine with it, then cool. I don't have much interest in playing though.

Considering Toby Fox started out making Earthbound fan games, I'd be surprised if he was insulted by this or something.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Considering Toby Fox started out making Earthbound fan games, I'd be surprised if he was insulted by this or something.
Be that as it may, and while I certainly hope he doesn't find this insulting, I do tend to share the same feeling as the person you replied to. It's a strange thing, like someone other than David Lynch making Eraserhead 2. In my head I'm like "fuck yeah, more of [thing I love]" but can't help but feel strange when it's someone taking the mantle from such an auteur. To your point, though, if this leads this fan to go on to create a great original work then I'm happy to see them taking this journey.

Still interested to hear impressions, though. Doesn't look bad!

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
Be that as it may, and while I certainly hope he doesn't find this insulting, I do tend to share the same feeling as the person you replied to. It's a strange thing, like someone other than David Lynch making Eraserhead 2. In my head I'm like "fuck yeah, more of [thing I love]" but can't help but feel strange when it's someone taking the mantle from such an auteur. To your point, though, if this leads this fan to go on to create a great original work then I'm happy to see them taking this journey.

toby fox granted permission to make this back in 2016

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
This looks really good. I'll def try it out. Hopefully its good enough that I can obsess about it until the next chapters of Deltarune drop

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
toby fox granted permission to make this back in 2016
That's great! Not my main point though. Having his blessing definitely bolsters this effort, but I personally still have some reservations considering so much of what I loved about Undertale was that it was a product of Toby Fox, his writing, illustrations, humour and music, and not someone else. Don't want to come off as a naysayer; I will remain cautiously optimistic about it.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018

Fangames of indies has been a thing forever though. See: Touhou, I Wanna Be The Guy.

When a world is so good people like doing their own expansions/takes on it.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like adding fangame or riding in the name undertale unofficially for a game that's been in development for over 7 years should just be it's own game "inspired by" at that point.

Unfortunately I feel like those things take away interest because those terms normally relate the quality / dev time of smaller projects.

They didn't want to make their own IP though, they wanted to make an undertale game, thats their passion. Much like how people will spend years just churning out Fallout or TES mods. People love being creative in these worlds and sharing them with the community.

I think its awesome. Do what you love and people will probably love playing it.

Last edited:

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
They didn't want to make their own IP though, they wanted to make an undertale game, thats their passion. Much like how people will spend years just churning out Fallout or TES mods. People love being creative in these worlds and sharing them with the community.

Eh, I think its awesome. Do what you love and people will probably love playing it.

I'm not saying they should have done what I'm saying, but just pointing out I can see it being hard for a game that has had so much work and hours poured into it being overlooked because of those stigmas.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018

Yeah, and Earthbound is a Nintendo game. Totally different thing. I'm specifically talking about fan games based on indies.

Fangames of indies has been a thing forever though. See: Touhou, I Wanna Be The Guy.

When a world is so good people like doing their own expansions/takes on it.

Again, if the creators are fine with it, cool. I'm not rattling my saber and saying they shouldn't exist. I'm just not personally interested.

OP
OP
underFlorence

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
That's great! Not my main point though. Having his blessing definitely bolsters this effort, but I personally still have some reservations considering so much of what I loved about Undertale was that it was a product of Toby Fox, his writing, illustrations, humour and music, and not someone else. Don't want to come off as a naysayer; I will remain cautiously optimistic about it.

Yeah, while the writing here is very much in the same vein as EarthBound/Undertale/Mario RPGs in that general writing style, it's obviously still done by different writers. One difference is that Undertale is very character-focused, with the bosses getting a ton of scenes to interact with the player in each area. While some of that is here, this game seems far more focused overall on expanding on the Underground.

I think one thing this game does very differently from a lot of other Undertale fangames is that the established cast of Undertale is basically absent. Toriel is there for like 3 minutes before the plot goes in its own direction, and Snowdin went by without any familiar NPCs, too. Instead you get to see entirely different parts of these areas, with their own inhabitants and their own stories, and even fleshing out the world itself by having the third area not be Waterfall but something entirely new instead. It feels like something that could reasonably take place a few kilometers away from Undertale, and I think this really gives the game its own voice in a way not many fangames can do.

The one established character that is very present here is Flowey. Because, obviously, the player character is going to die at the end, they can't be the one saving. Instead, Flowey is still the being with the most Determination during this time and is the one who actually saves the game at the save points. There's an interesting characterization of him here because he's almost outright friendly towards the player! It's a different side to him, but it makes sense if you consider that Flowey experimented with a lot of different ways of "playing the game" in the past. In fact, a new human falling down is probably immensely exciting to him because it's finally someone new to interact with, to figure out what makes them tick and whatnot. So his tutorial is in earnest and he saves for you, but you can still see the impatience aspect of Flowey in how he gets annoyed if you save at the same save point multiple times, and in how he's manipulating you into moving on as fast as possible so he can see the new stuff. It's like a player getting a new expansion to their favorite game and wanting to see all the new stuff as fast as possible.

And obviously all of that is based off groundwork laid in Undertale but I think the execution of it is immensely well done so far.

I'm not saying they should have done what I'm saying, but just pointing out I can see it being hard for a game that has had so much work and hours poured into it being overlooked because of those stigmas.

The game caused folks to inadvertantly crash GameJolt when it came out due to all the site traffic so I think as far as fangames go, it's gonna do very well for itself. Reception from folks in the community has been very positive so far, and while it's probably not gonna appeal to folks who haven't played Undertale, it also does a lot of neat things that are only possible due to its relation to Undertale.

Sorder

Sep 19, 2023
Feeling kind of weird about this. Are there any sources on Toby Fox being okay with it? Doing fan games of small indies like Undertale feel, I don't know...

OP
OP
underFlorence

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
Feeling kind of weird about this. Are there any sources on Toby Fox being okay with it? Doing fan games of small indies like Undertale feel, I don't know...
Forgot the actual source but Toby's stance has been "as long as you don't make money off it, go for it" since Undertale came out. I think someone e-mailed him with that question back in the day? Plus, all the stuff about Toby starting out making EarthBound rom hacks and posting the first bits of progress of Undertale on an EarthBound fan forum.

Also, I think Undertale very much has passed the realm of "small indie" at this point. It wouldn't surprise me if it's outsold the likes of EarthBound, which was a big inspiration for it, at this point. Not that it'd make going against the creator's wishes okay if Toby *wasn't* okay with fan content, but Undertale feels to me like it's in that upper indie echolon along with stuff like Among Us or Hollow Knight where it's as popular as your average AA game.

Jun 21, 2019
Just finished the pacifist route, cried a lot, I'm genuinely blown away by how good this was. You can feel the love for the original game throughout every moment, but it isn't afraid to diverge into its own story that stands on its own. I can see where some people may be turned off, but for me, this was easily a 10/10 experience. Everyone on the dev team deserves praise for delivering such a wonderful experience.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Just finished the pacifist route, cried a lot, I'm genuinely blown away by how good this was. You can feel the love for the original game throughout every moment, but it isn't afraid to diverge into its own story that stands on its own. I can see where some people may be turned off, but for me, this was easily a 10/10 experience. Everyone on the dev team deserves praise for delivering such a wonderful experience.

God I have so much going on in my life please don't let me add this game to my plate too lol your review is really tempting me

Jun 21, 2019
God I have so much going on in my life please don't let me add this game to my plate too lol your review is really tempting me
If you enjoyed Undertale it is absolutely worth a shot, even if you don't enjoy everything I feel like there's at least something here for everyone, but from my experience, it hit all the notes I wanted. Even excluding the story and characters, both of which were great in my opinion, the art, music, and battles were incredible, I constantly found myself taking screenshots of background art and pausing completely just to listen to each new track.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Watched a streamer playthrough most of it and it's incredibly impressive. I do find it funny that it ends up being longer than Undertale itself and I'm curious what a violent route looks like. Only complaint is that it tries to match Toby's NPC humor and that's just hard to match.

Jun 21, 2019
Watched a streamer playthrough most of it and it's incredibly impressive. I do find it funny that it ends up being longer than Undertale itself and I'm curious what a violent route looks like. Only complaint is that it tries to match Toby's NPC humor and that's just hard to match.

I felt a little bit similar in regards to the NPC humour bit, though I feel like they started to diverge a bit into their own style of humour towards the latter half of the game and it gelled a lot better.

OP
OP
underFlorence

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
I'm a bit into the Steamworks now, and gosh, the Dunes was an immensely good area. While the first midboss suffers from a weird control setup that I hope gets changed, everything else was pretty dang excellent! Music was on top too, the midboss and boss themes for that area are great.

I also love the Steamworks so far, it's sorta combining the vibes of Hotland, the CORE and True Lab into something that still feels unique but also instills a big sense of dread given what one knows from Undertale. The aesthetics in this area are also sooo good, and the unique battle themes! Really excited to see this through.

Rabbit

Feb 24, 2018
I thought it was very well done. I love most of the characters, especially Martlet. The spritework is excellent, it has a kickass soundtrack, and the humor was great too. Kudos to the creators, I think they did a fantastic job with this.

Oct 25, 2017
It's been long enough since UNDERTALE, and the complete DELTARUNE is so far away I think I'll check this out- will be a nice game for the holiday period

OP
OP
underFlorence

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
Got a good bit further in and beat the Steamworks boss. Gotta say, so far this game really has constantly improved as it has gone on. The Ruins area is neat but you can also tell it was one of the earliest areas conceptualized, then Snowdin gets pretty good as the team seems to also figure out more fun NPC interactions. Then the Dunes are suddenly an entirely new area with its own customs and history, which is super cool to see, the bosses become more interesting and there's a lot of characterization to be found, as well as the first hints at the overarching plot.

The Steamworks then are a bit lighter on the NPCs, given that they're abandoned and all, but I still love the vibes. Feels a bit like Old Aperture from Portal 2 to me, with the optimistic attitude towards a future that never shook out like that. And the robots were pretty great, too. The vending machine is a particular favorite of mine. The end boss of the area was also great, and I think the different Soul mechanics really improved after their first attempt in the rhythm miniboss, which suffers largely from a poor controls setup.

This point is also when the story seriously starts to unfold. I'm playing this game simultaneously with my GF over a Discord call and it's immensely fun to theorize and put the pieces together as things are happening. It's honestly kinda brought me back to 2015 when UT first came out, or 2018 and 2021 with Deltarune.

OP
OP
underFlorence

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
Just beat the Pacifist route and... gosh. Definitely brought me to tears, some absolutely beautiful writing going on at the end there. The final boss is also such a cathartic experience. Just. Aaaa.

Gonna definitely also do No Mercy soon but I'm also excited to sit on this for at least a little bit. Such a good ending. Hits you right in the guts.

The endgame in general was really cool. With how much of the second part is wholly original, when I came upon Hotland and went through the actual same paths that Frisk takes (for the first time in the game since the very beginning) while the music started up, that was such a good feeling. The game really earned that at this point.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I don't like about Deltarune is how it shifted to a party based game. I liked Susie in the first episode but was ready to move on by the second. It feels like having two side kicks constantly jabberinh kind of hijacks things abit too much.

This is kind of a return to you playing an avatar travelling the world kind of situation which is much more consistently engaging.

OP
OP
underFlorence

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
One thing I don't like about Deltarune is how it shifted to a party based game. I liked Susie in the first episode but was ready to move on by the second. It feels like having two side kicks constantly jabberinh kind of hijacks things abit too much.

This is kind of a return to you playing an avatar travelling the world kind of situation which is much more consistently engaging.
I'd also say that, as much as I enjoy Deltarune theorizing, it's nice to enjoy something in this world that's a complete package where there's nothing left up to future chapter theorizing.

In other news, I started a No Mercy run with my gf and, ouch, this game really makes it hurt a good bit more... every enemy now has a unique hurt-looking sprite when at low health, unique dialogue and flavor text when at low health, *and* for pairs of encounters they have unique dialogue and flavor text when you kill one of them, showing the other monster reacting to the death. Really makes it hurt all that much more, tbh.

Made it to the end of Snowdin and the Martlet boss fight there is honestly one of the best-designed fights I've seen out of anything Undertale-related yet. It's difficult but feels entirely fair and well-telegraphed throughout, with novel bullet patterns to boot. Also the music slaps. Based on how the fight ends and YT thumbnails I unfortunately saw I know she'll have a bigger role but this fight already felt like a great first battle.

Version 1.1 Patch Notes
OP
OP
underFlorence

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
And that's No Mercy done! I was immensely impressed with the bosses, honestly, though I'm also really glad I only got to the final boss after 1.1 came out. Doing that without repeatable healing via an ACT would've been impossible lmao.

Oh yeah I should mention: 1.1 is out. Adds some more accessibility in an easy mode that grants higher DEF + a way to disable the timing element of the rhythm fight (making it control more like Mad Mew Mew from Undertale Switch).

With all that out of the way... gosh am I impressed with this! I know there's also a Neutral ending that's wholly different which I'll get to in the following days, but this game has just had such a vice grip on my mind for the entire past week. I already praised the Pacifist ending immensely and now I get to do the same for the No Mercy ending in a wholly different way.

Explicitly making this ending of all of them non-canon is an interesting move but it pays off immensely. Making this the only ending where Clover actually, well, lives, and gets to leave the Underground with their mission of vengeance fulfilled is so interesting. Some moments that particularly stuck with me:

* Specific monster hurt sprites and dialogue for killing the other monster in a fight. Makes it hit so much more to constantly be reminded of how they react to the deaths of each other.

* Also gotta shoutout Mo. Going from "Hey I'm not gonna judge you for murdering some guys. Allegedly." to Clover even freaking him out enough for him to get outta there is fun.

* The Ceroba fight gimmick of having attacks that are easiest to dodge when hugging the edge of the box and then in the second half making the box deplete your max HP is such a cool idea. Really made me think about where to move and how to dodge them! It also made me use the "Press-X-to-go-slower" mechanic properly for once.

* Clover bossing Flowey around during the Steamworks created such an interesting dynamic between the two! Also getting actual Friendliness Pellets is super cute.

* The Axis fight was just perfection. First of all, love the inversion where Axis is now defending our shots with a trash can lid. It wasn't actually all that hard compared to the bosses before and after him because, even though the bullet patterns are super hard and use orange and cyan obstacles quite aggressively, it's essentially a waiting game until Axis slips up and reveals that he killed the previous fallen human. And that in turn gets Clover pissed enough that their LV, aka their capacity to hurt, goes up from like 12 to 19 just from that information. Really cool way to make them gain LV without fighting, especially because the robots don't actually, well, grant LV.

* Martlet! It's so good. Having her connection with the Lab that was previously just largely there for flavor come into relevance is super cool, and I looooved her DT-powered design. It's really neat how she shows up throughout while avoiding murder because, well, she can fly. The fight was also really neat and chaotic, though that was largely rebalanced by the invincible dodge you get.

* The charged big shot being a laser is also incredibly cool, gotta say.

* "You are filled with a sense of justice." after overriding Flowey's control over the safe feels immensely earned. They could've invoked that line at any earlier point but finally getting it here really somehow feels cathartic in spite of all that's happening.

Aug 17, 2022
This is cool but.....seven years on a fan game (that's longer that the game it's based on) you release for free? Jesus, just make your own game and try to make money.

Last edited:

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
This is cool but.....seven years on a fan game (that's loner that the game it's based on) you release for free? Jesus, just make your own game and try to make money.

Think of it as a love letter to the original game, some people love some games so much that they don't want to abandon that world when the game is over, so they create more of it themselves. Also, the experience you get by creating a game like this is a great baggage for any game developer.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
I played Undertale when it first came out and don't remember a ton. How much plot do I need to know going in?

Jun 21, 2019
I played Undertale when it first came out and don't remember a ton. How much plot do I need to know going in?
I think that so long as you remember the broad strokes, you should be fine, it's largely an original story taking place within Undertale's world and building upon ideas from it. You might miss some references and callbacks but the story can stand on its own for the most part.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is cool but.....seven years on a fan game (that's longer that the game it's based on) you release for free? Jesus, just make your own game and try to make money.

A lot of people use these as jumping off points. You give yourself a project, sometimes you do it for free while you're learning, and then do something formal when you've gotten your feet wet n' all that.

Aug 17, 2022
A lot of people use these as jumping off points. You give yourself a project, sometimes you do it for free while you're learning, and then do something formal when you've gotten your feet wet n' all that.

Yeah totally. It's not making a fan game (or anything creative, for that matter) that I'm commenting on.

It's taking seven years to get your feet wet. These folks are clearly talented, would love to see some original work. But hey, they can do what they want.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Yeah totally. It's not making a fan game (or anything creative, for that matter) that I'm commenting on.

It's taking seven years to get your feet wet. These folks are clearly talented, would love to see some original work. But hey, they can do what they want.

I mean just look at Tamriel Rebuilt, a mod for Morrowind that the modding team has been working on for 22 years now (still has yet to be completed). xD