• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Stay Up Be Easy
Dec 31, 2017
Forgot to mention the music. Which was pretty good. Both the original and licensed songs.

Bucked the haunting orchestra of Aliens or moody synth of The Thing.

The synth sound they went for was energetic but still scary. Reminded me of It Follows.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
A creature feature with a theatrical release. An endangered species so of course I paid to see it first weekend.

It's not Alien or the Thing.
It's not as good as Life.
Deep Rising was even better than this
Its on the level of a Deep Blue Sea and I did ultimately enjoy it.

The characters aren't memorable, the black guy dies first, Hud from Cloverfield plays the exact same character. And I couldn't tell if one characters love interest was another crew member or they were talking about someone else.

Did a good job of making the bottom of the ocean seem like a terrifying place. Reminded me of that one episode of Jonny Quest.

The monsters are what people want and for the most part it was okay. Alot less carnage than you'd expect. And the monsters do t show up a ton. There's a reason for that.

I thought it was going to end up being a simulation. A test of the crews mental stability and decision making. Why was there a spider crawling out of a drain in the middle of the Mariana Trench? And what was up with the thing about the age of the captains daughter if she was dead? I think something got cut

I wasn't expecting Cthulhu. I think the budget saved from not doing more creature attacks went into him.

Worth a matinee.

PS. If you told me this movie was a Gears expansion pack I'd believe you. Dirty industrial environments. Creatures attacking you from darkness. Even the depth suits have the COG proportions and lights around them.

PPS. If Avatar 2 is Aliens & Terminator 1 Cameron as opposed to Terminator 2 & Abyss Cameron. Shit could be terrifying in 3D.
Huh, wasn't expecting that from the trailers I saw. Might have to check this out.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
It has flashes of greatness but after the hype on twitter from certain film critics, I walked out disappointed, it was a bit boring, the story is confusing and the action and cinematography is disorienting. There are some decent scares and that's about it. Even the monsters and creature work was lacking imo.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow an actual horror movie with monsters and not some head up its own ass psychological bullshit? I'm in. Will go check it out this weekend. Thanks OP it looks good.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
The characters aren't memorable, the black guy dies first,

DistantFrequentIncatern-size_restricted.gif

Wack. Movies need to stop doing this wack shit. Gonna wait for a home release, too many movies out around this time surprisingly.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This movie is well shot and well directed, with excellent art design and real stylistic flair. The final monster is cool. All of that is diluted by a script that barely even tries to make you care about the characters.

The movie slams the accelerator just a few minutes in. It wastes no time in killing the black guy, but that's cool because he's just a token! It also wastes no time on the basics of storytelling, like the context of the deep sea setting. It's all explained in flashes of text and pictures at the beginning.

I need a little more to get invested. An opening slideshow is no substitute for establishing scenes. Perfunctory references to relationships and kids are not character development. No one gives a damn about strangers in a monster movie just because we're told that they have the bare minimum of normal human connection outside of their jobs.

Anyway, whatever, for a dumb monster movie Underwater is definitely better than average. I like Kristen Stewart, and she really shines with what she's given in this.

OP
OP
Stay Up Be Easy
Dec 31, 2017
DistantFrequentIncatern-size_restricted.gif

Wack. Movies need to stop doing this wack shit. Gonna wait for a home release, too many movies out around this time surprisingly.
Well technically
He dies third. Two mooks die right in the beginning. They get a bulkhead door closed in their faces. I think one of them was black though.

The named black character does die pretty hard though.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
I watched Underwater tonight after work, and it's safe to say I enjoyed it. Fast paced, tense and dread-inducing horror that strikes a good balance between the something that goes "bump" and the anticipation of something going "bump". Stewart did an amazing job in her role's homage to Weaver's Ripley; the only downsides to the film I would say, were TJ Miller being TJ Miller and the fact that I correctly guessed what the monster twist would be based on some of the unspoilered replies in this thread. Movie's well worth seeing in my book, and after the movie I had to drive home at night in heavy fog, which enhanced the post-movie feeling in unexpected ways for me.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'll echo what Double Toasted said, this would've made a lot of sense as a Cloverfield prequel/spinoff.
Lol they didn't explain this either: do you mean just because of the film in general, or also because of TJ Miller's character. Dunno if it would make sense for these two characters to be the same person.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol they didn't explain this either: do you mean just because of the film in general, or also because of TJ Miller's character. Dunno if it would make sense for these two characters to be the same person.
I think it would fit (minus TJ M) due to the ARG stuff from before Cloverfield about a deep sea oil rig being attacked by some monster. Replace that actor, redesign some of the creatures, and it would totally make sense to include it in that universe. Much better than the space movie or the John Goodman one.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
What's up with the random Gears of War ref in the title? Haven't seen the film, don't understand the correlation at all.

Mar 3, 2019
Underwater was okay I thought. The first half, the camera work is some of the most jarring hand held camera work ive ever seen, my eyes were having trouble focus the entire time. The second half is what saved it into a decent film, though the attempt at emotional moments from Kristen Stewart didnt feel believable at all. Not much characterization or plot development, just scene after scene of things happening until it ends. Pretty visuals when you can see them.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly enjoyed it... Up until the Razer keyboard gamer ending. It was very sparse in story and development area. Very little exposition. But it was still enjoyable. Reminded me very much of modern horror game, if you never read or watched any side information/lore and skipped optional areas lol.

Design and editing was really well done though. Gears I definitely made a joke to a friend about with Smith when he had his headband on. I did a raspy "Dom let's go". But I thought they looked more like Terran (space marines) than gears. I was really hoping this would turn out to be tied into like Cthulu mythos in some way in all honesty lol. Or like a sneak Doom film lol.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I really liked it. I thought the creature design was really creepy. It was the movie I wanted, tense and claustrophobic.

And after reading this I would have loved if this was tied to Cloverfield, it would have made perfect sense.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this last night and yeah, perfectly fine genre flick. Kristen Stewart plays a good Ripley-adjacent and this film for some reason got a big budget behind it and puts it to good use. Solid set design and creature effects. No brainer if you enjoy creature features and have a theater subscription.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I thoroughly hated everything past the first 20 or so minutes.
It would be a much better movie if they just stuck to the survival aspect. The setting is really cool and they manage to sell the claustrophobia and the intensely lethal environment well, but then, a wild goofy monster appears and it really goes downhill from there.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
When I realised the movie was ending with

Kstew nuking Cthulhu I lost my shit

What a blast of a movie

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Mildly interested. Unexpectedly, the Meg was worthwhile so I'm going to see this too.

OP
OP
Stay Up Be Easy
Dec 31, 2017
I just learned the actor who plays Isaac Clarke is in this movie (pretty sure he had no lines).

There were SO MANY scenes that seemed to be lifted from Dead Space.

It's actually amazing how many videogames this movie reminded me of while having nothing to do with any of them.

-Gears of War
-Metroid*
-Dead Space
-Starcraft. Never played it but yes the design is similar.
starcraft-2-wings-of-liberty-pc-review.jpg

That final reveal was Samus v Kraid.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I actually enjoyed Life. I'm not saying its a good movie, in many ways it was terrible, but I enjoyed watching it.

Life was alright, I think people tend to only remember the few standouts like Alien(s) and Predator and such and forget the average monster movie is abjectly awful.

I just learned the actor who plays Isaac Clarke is in this movie (pretty sure he had no lines).

There were SO MANY scenes that seemed to be lifted from Dead Space.

It's actually amazing how many videogames this movie reminded me of while having nothing to do with any of them.

-Gears of War
-Metroid*
-Dead Space
-Starcraft. Never played it but yes the design is similar.

All those games were just liberally borrowing from Alien/Aliens and other horror /sci-fi movies in the first place though.

Wojo

Oct 28, 2017
Buffalo
Saw it. The movie was a throwback to late 80s underwater creature features like Deep Star Six and Leviathan.

Not sure at all why OP was comparing it to Deep Rising or Deep Blue Sea. Horrible comparisons.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Oh man this movie seemed just like a sci fi channel movie. Every cliche ever was there. Could guess the death order and how they would die right off the bat.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it tonight, loved it (I'm a sucker for underwater horror).

Acting is quite good (KS impressed me bh), visuals and fx are splendid, and the mood/ setup is the closest we've gotten yet to a silver screen adaptation of Soma.
Also loved the monster design and the final wist.
Script itself is by the numbers, but serviceable.
Only low points are dialogues at times, and TJM.

Highly recommended.

PS: it's -much- better than Life, DS6 or Leviathan. Possibly better than Deep Rising (a guilty pleasure of mine) and Deep Blue Sea too, but not really in the same vein, as there it's the tongue in cheek humor and dialogues that sell these other movies, while in Underwater it's the setting, atmosphere and mood.
The oppression and physiological effects of the depth and isolation/ terror can be felt with KS, and the Director slows down the pace where needed to let the audience share these feelings.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Had nothing to do on Sunday so I caught this. The theater was surprisingly packed, which was odd, but the film was solid. Delivered what I expected, had some nice gore and better-than-anticipated effects work, and I thought the film was worth the price of admission alone for the [monster spoiler[
"Cthulhu" reveal

That was really well done and looked ace. Overall, not a bad way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon.

And anyone questioning the monster design, the director outright states it is what you thought it was here, despite what the script may have implied: https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie...-director-confirms-saw-thought-saw-final-act/. Spoilers, obviously. Article sources this YT clip:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Life is a completely shit movie. If I saw it in theatre I would've walked out during the hand strangling scene because of how bad it was.

DS6 is awful too, saw it a few months back because a few people mentioned it in the UW trailer thread iirc.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Haha wtf did I just watch? Just nonsense, no explanation, 5 minutes in everything starts, not even a single "lore dump" bam bam. It feels like a really bad walking simulator survival horror game.

Love it.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Underwater is amazing but I've heard poor things about Life.

Haha wtf did I just watch? Just nonsense, no explanation, 5 minutes in everything starts, not even a single "lore dump" bam bam. It feels like a really bad walking simulator survival horror game.

Love it.

Guess you missed the reading of the words and newspaper articles with all the lore. I hate to be that person but it is sort of like Demon's Souls/Dark Souls where the lore is laying around if you want to read it.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I liked it, didn't do anything particularly new or original but it was pretty damn solid for what it was while wearing it's influences on it's sleeve.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Yea Gears is an easy movie to make. It's basically the Expendables but they fight the locust.