• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I think people have warmed up to it over the years, but the chorus of "Kid B-Sides" comments when it released was resounding. Which is odd to me since it sounds nothing like Kid A at all.

I remember when it came out and that sentiment was definitely there simply because it released six months after Kid A and was recorded during the same studio sessions. Some of the songs had been heard during the Kid A release. Pitchfork's review of the record even claimed the b-sides thing... while giving it a 9/10. The album objectively reviews better than a good deal of their releases.

i wouldn't say it was maligned for it, it simply was a great album that was a victim of its own circumstances of being released so close to a record that was both a radical departure and beloved.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm the only one on planet earth who likes Green Day's Father of All Motherfuckers.

It's the best GD album since 21CB imo. But nobody will ever be on board with that. I guess the really gross album art didn't help.

Father_of_All.jpg

So maybe it's not that unfairly maligned bc it sure is ugly.
As a huge Green Day fan, this album is awful.

Vourlis

Aug 14, 2022
United States
Honestly I think Bowie's farewell Blackstar album is fucking great and severely misunderstood / underappreciated...it kind of just came and went in the market, but some of his songs on there, especially Lazarus, is just as good as some of his other best songs.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
St Anger isn't as bad as everyone says it. I actually like the drum sound and Sweet Amber, The Unnamed Feeling, Dirty Window and Invisible Kid are cracking tunes.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is like... Weezer: The Thread for me. I've enjoyed 90% of their output in some way and I think they're unfairly hated on by people who only listened to their first two albums and then heard Beverly Hills on the radio.

HK-48

Jan 14, 2021
England
Metallica Load and Reload - great albums. Heravy bluesy rock things, if overlong. Not on the same level as their early 4 albums or black album buit still great. They have such a swing and a groove to them

Lulu (Lou Reed/Metallica) has some amazing moments, just trapped within a pretty bloated package of an avant-garde album.

I feel that way about The X Factor. It's the most depressingly down-to-earth Maiden album.
Yesss it's such a dark, moody and brooding album. Really underrated. Very refreshing compared to the previous 2 albums before it

dphrygian

Oct 28, 2017
Texas
Absolutely agreed on Load/Reload, Artpop, and Crash Love.

For some reason, I've always remembered Modest Mouse's "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" as being generally poorly regarded, but the Wikipedia reception section says otherwise. Anyway, it's a great album.

I also liked Coheed & Cambria's "non-canon" album "The Color Before the Sun" more than most; I don't really care about the band's sci-fi concept, I just like their songs and it had some good songs.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals

Going from Beautiful People to Dope Show threw many for a loop. Following up smash-hit industrial/goth with Bowieque space-glam/concept was a hell of a choice.

But I contest that this is the absolute best Manson album of all time. Certainly the most listenable from front to back.

The flow from one song into the next like for example Rock Is Dead into Disassociative is akin to Pink Floyd at the top of their game.

The industrial kids felt abandoned by Animals (who Manson quickly ran back to with Antichrist), but I'll always remember it as his creative & talent peak.

TrashyPanda

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm the only one on planet earth who likes Green Day's Father of All Motherfuckers.

It's the best GD album since 21CB imo. But nobody will ever be on board with that. I guess the really gross album art didn't help.

Father_of_All.jpg

So maybe it's not that unfairly maligned bc it sure is ugly.

Green Day is my favorite band, and I listened to this album a few times as a result. I think the best thing I have to say about it is that it's only 26 minutes. The only song that I found to be genuinely good is Graffitia.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Christina_Aguilera_-_Bionic_%28album%29.png

Was poorly received at release, although I think opinions improved over time

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
You have my sword, Machina is amazing, and their last great album!

I keep checking the Smashing Pumpkins subreddit from time to time just in case a miracle happens and a solid release date for the Machina 1 & 2 reissue is announced, I just want that one final thing so I can finally stop caring about that shithead Billy Corgan and the terrible music he puts out nowadays.

it's crazy now I think of it... the last i heard of the reissue/remaster was on a vlog from billy himself about how he was right in the middle of remixing it.

was the same vlog he announced Oceania so that had to be... about 2011 or 2012? yikes

Stibbs

Feb 8, 2023
The 518
IDK if this can counts cause its just personal opinion and such and its more of a "so bad its good", But i'll admit it

I actually really like Billy Idol and Cyberpunk, its such a weird fucking album considering his usual work, but I unironically really love tracks like Wasteland and Concrete Kingdom. He's so sincere about everything even if its so silly and stupid

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea didn't have all the best Zwan songs on it, but I always thought it was an underrated record. Shame that we'll probably never get anything else from those sessions since Billy hates Pajo/Paz/Sweeney

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
81ma7XiCrvL._SL1425_.jpg

* ahem *

Machine Messiah and Tempus Fugit are great songs though

Tales is my favorite Yes album but it is always ridiculed. Also because Rick Wakeman kept telling he ate sandwiches while playing it live because he felt it was so boring.

I would kill for a good Tales Tour live recording.

About Drama, it is great and it features some of Squires best bass work. Howe and White are also on fire. I love (the intro of) Does it really happen?

View: https://youtu.be/GL68VE-Qi7Y?feature=shared

Apparently, as read on the Yes website of Harry Potts Steven Wilson was keen on remastering Drama also because he loves it but Geoff Downes would not allow it:

In a Jul 2018 interview, asked how the albums in The Steven Wilson Remixes were chosen, Downes replied, "Those were chosen, I think, because they're the only ones that could be found. [...] I don't know if he'll do any more, though, since he tends to look at the defining albums from a band's history."
In his Dec 2015 newsletter, Wilson said:

There was talk about me doing "Drama", an album I really love and that would sound great in 5.1, but not all the members of that line up are keen for the album to be remixedā€”which is totally understandableā€”and I wouldn't want to do something without the band being behind it.
The one band member opposed to Wilson doing Drama could have been Downes judging by this Sep 2015 tweet: asked if Wilson would be doing a Drama remix, Downes replied, "I bloody well hope not!" Although in a Jul 2014 interview, Downes said, "I would like to hear Drama in 5.1, the album was heavily overdubbed at the time, and so it would reveal a lot of detail". But, in an Aug 2016 interview, he said the multitracks for Drama couldn't be found, also saying, "I know Steven Wilson does a very good job" of the 5.1 mixes

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Amnesiac is maligned? By whom?

[citation needed]

www.metacritic.com

Amnesiac by Radiohead

Amnesiac by Radiohead album reviews & Metacritic score: These eleven tracks were recorded during the same sessions that produced 2000's 'Kid A,' but are a bit more song-like and a bit less electronic....

Look at some of the ho-hum reviews towards the bottom, particularly from Rollingstone and The Wire. Look at the section of the wiki

Some dismissed Amnesiac as a collection of Kid A outtakes.[71] The Pitchfork critic Ryan Schreiber wrote that its "questionable sequencing ... does little to hush the argument that the record is merely a thinly veiled B-sides compilation".[64] Another Pitchfork writer, Scott Plagenhoef, felt the sequencing worked by creating tension, heightening the power of the more experimental tracks.[71] However, he felt the more conventional marketing created a sense of "ordinariness" compared to Kid A and the impression that Radiohead had bowed to pressure from their record label.[71]

Some critics felt Amnesiac was less cohesive than Kid A. The AllMusic critic Stephen Thomas Erlewine wrote that it "often plays as a hodgepodge", and that both albums "clearly derive from the same source and have the same flaws ... The division only makes the two records seem unfocused, even if the best of both records is quite stunning."[59] Another AllMusic critic, Sam Samuelson, said Amnesiac was a "thrown-together" release that might have been better packaged with the live album I Might Be Wrong as a "complete Kid A sessions package".[72]

Jetsun Mila

User requested ban
Banned
Apr 7, 2021
tcBKDSC.png

DJ Shadow - The Outsider

Dude put together one of the best Hyphy albums of the 2000s and, like all his records as he explores new styles, so many folks looked past the insane number of collabs and amazing lyrical work and complained that it wasn't another Entroducing.
For me it's actually The Less You Know, the Better. There are some absolutely strong tracks on that album, and I feel like it's a great 35 minute album, only that it is actually an hour long.

THAT SAID:
QsMZs9U.png

In the music circles I'm in the consensus is somewhat "It's the right direction but the next albums are better" but I think this is their best one.

VaBTqEw.png

Yes, it's not as good as the albums from the Peter Gabriel phase, but this is still really strong Progressive Rock. Same with Trick of the Trail and Wind and Wuthering. I don't understand these who make a hard cut between the two phases.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
Sepultura Against. The first post Max album. I always thought it was good. Not on Roots or Chaos AD level but still good. In fact all those post Max albums are Ok. But it took them until about A-Lex to really find their own sound without him.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
www.metacritic.com

Amnesiac by Radiohead

Amnesiac by Radiohead album reviews & Metacritic score: These eleven tracks were recorded during the same sessions that produced 2000's 'Kid A,' but are a bit more song-like and a bit less electronic....

Look at some of the ho-hum reviews towards the bottom, particularly from Rollingstone and The Wire. Look at the section of the wiki

Every piece of creative work has its critics, though. You can find middling or bad contemporary reviews for just about anything thought of as a classic.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Chris Cornell's Scream received savage reviews upon release, but I really think it's a really interesting album.
Was going to post this, the record as a whole just flows (every track is connected), sounds amazing and is catchy as fuck.

Great album imo i usually crank it up at home when listening to it.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
39084.jpg

Donkey by CSS. I know it's not as irreverent as their debut, but I've listened to it just as much.

Christina_Aguilera_-_Bionic_%28album%29.png

Was poorly received at release, although I think opinions improved over time

It had the worst timing. She kept talking about working with indie bands like Ladytron at the same time iamamiwhoami was posting videos that people thought might be her. Then the album comes out and it's pop accused of chasing Lady Gaga at the height of her fame with all the indie produced songs relegated to the bonus tracks.

I think it's a fun album, but that was a rough time to be a Christina fan lmao.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Every piece of creative work has its critics, though. You can find middling or bad contemporary reviews for just about anything thought of as a classic.

Of course. But that pulls the fun out of this post, lol. Its all subjective, but just wanted to point out Amnesiac wasn't always highly acclaimed even though it was effectively the same album as Kid A just split apart by the bands own admission.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
www.metacritic.com

Amnesiac by Radiohead

i mean if Kid A is a stone cold classic, look at the Metacritic average:

www.metacritic.com

Kid A by Radiohead

Kid A by Radiohead album reviews & Metacritic score: Seemingly unwilling to stick to a successful formula, Radiohead follow their breakthrough album 'OK Computer' with this much more experimental work (recorded du...

The ho-hum reviews are even more scathing.

The internet music press was a much smaller pool and usually resulted in lower review averages than what we get nowadays. probably a topic for a different thread through.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I think Bowie's farewell Blackstar album is fucking great and severely misunderstood / underappreciated...it kind of just came and went in the market, but some of his songs on there, especially Lazarus, is just as good as some of his other best songs.
God yeah, Blackstar is amazing. And it hits real hard given the timing of its release. Not sure I've seen many people who don't rate it, though, but if those people exist then they are fools!

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
music.youtube.com

The Love Movement

The Love Movement is the fifth studio album by American hip hop group A Tribe Called Quest, and their last album released during group member Phife Dawg's lifetime. Released on September 29, 1998, by Jive Records, it is a concept album, exploring the lyrical theme of love. Musically, it is a...

I love this album, despite it mostly being radio jams. Find my way lives rent free in my brain even today. But surprisingly, apparently people fucking hate this album.
People hated Nas' It Was Written when it first came out because it's nothing like Illmatic. Now I see people debating that it's better than that.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
That U2 album that appeared on everyone's iPhone. I'm not saying it was a great album or anything, although I enjoyed some of it, but feel the backlash and hate was out of proportion to the fact you were given something for free.

Funny how this particular bit of marketing, that someone obviously thought was a masterstroke, went so comically wrong.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
The Smashing Pumpkins already came up here but I'd maybe add Adore to the list. The people that like that album like it a lot, but the people who came in expecting another Mellon Collie were mostly scratching their heads. With the distance of time I think it's much more roundly appreciated, though.
Good shout. I think Adore is fantastic, but it's such a departure from Mellon Collie that it definitely caught a lot of people out.

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
Amazing to see so much Amputechture love in here, it was definitely the first one on my mind! It's a challenging, incredible album for sure and stands out in TMV's catalogue. That album run from Deloused to Bedlam is still unmatched in my eyes, they're the GOAT.

As for another pick, I love The King Of Limbs , I think it's in the top 5 Radiohead albums. I really enjoy the afrobeat inspired, frantic electronic beats they've got in there, and the From The Basement session they did? Great stuff.

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea didn't have all the best Zwan songs on it, but I always thought it was an underrated record. Shame that we'll probably never get anything else from those sessions since Billy hates Pajo/Paz/Sweeney
Billy's got the rights back and says he's working on the box set with another 70 or something recorded songs on itā€¦

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
NS5qcGVn.jpeg

and lot of of their post 2000 stuff is underrated too. unfortunately the last album (the "sequel" to Melon Collie and Machina) was pretty mid though

You have my sword, Machina is amazing, and their last great album!

I keep checking the Smashing Pumpkins subreddit from time to time just in case a miracle happens and a solid release date for the Machina 1 & 2 reissue is announced, I just want that one final thing so I can finally stop caring about that shithead Billy Corgan and the terrible music he puts out nowadays.

Fuck yeah. Even though there's one or two 'skips' on it, I still adore that album. Too bad they didn't condense it just a little bit, because it could have been an all killer no filler album like SD or MATIS (how insane is it that they managed to do a double album that is all killer no filler? Still blows my mind thirty years later.).

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
NS5qcGVn.jpeg

and lot of of their post 2000 stuff is underrated too. unfortunately the last album (the "sequel" to Melon Collie and Machina) was pretty mid though

I agree though I get the complaints about production. I was going to list Adore, but don't recall if that was actually maligned or just not liked by people wanting more MCIS. Their post Oceania work is awful though.

tcBKDSC.png

DJ Shadow - The Outsider

Dude put together one of the best Hyphy albums of the 2000s and, like all his records as he explores new styles, so many folks looked past the insane number of collabs and amazing lyrical work and complained that it wasn't another Entroducing.

I still hate this album (beyond This Time) but maybe I just hate hyphy or whatever. It's such a jarring, chaotic sound and it's never clicked even when I try to revisit it.

Apr 7, 2018
Surprised to see Green Day talk and nothing about Warning. I got into the band in 01 and everyone told me to ignore that album because it's terrible. I ignored them and loved it.

I'd also throw Weezer Green on here because it was well received at the time but now I hear a lot of hate. It's a great power pop record.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I was also going to post 80s Rush, but also add Grace Under Pressure, which is my personal favorite work of theirs. People like to bemoan Getty Lee getting too much into synths like many other rock artists at the time, but as someone who's a big fan of the sound of that era in general, I feel it's a great blend that compliments the rest of their sound.

OP
OP
Servbot24

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As for another pick, I love The King Of Limbs , I think it's in the top 5 Radiohead albums. I really enjoy the afrobeat inspired, frantic electronic beats they've got in there, and the From The Basement session they did? Great stuff.
The first half of TKOL is legitimately great. Then the second half it feels like they just got bored, abandoned the theme and gave up.

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
devo synthpop album "shout", hated for being not devo and being an excuse to leave a label but side two is just a streak of hits: here to go, jurisdiction of love, puppet boy, and please please.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
That U2 album that appeared on everyone's iPhone. I'm not saying it was a great album or anything, although I enjoyed some of it, but feel the backlash and hate was out of proportion to the fact you were given something for free.

Funny how this particular bit of marketing, that someone obviously thought was a masterstroke, went so comically wrong.
If you're not going to say it, I will.

Songs of Innocence is a great album, and stands up there with U2's second tier albums (beneath TJT and AB.) The songs range from fun and light, to deeply moving and beautiful. Iris (Hold Me Close) is literally one of their best songs.

Honestly, U2's post AB (or post 90s) output in general is unfairly maligned. The critical and commercial success they have found decades after the founding of their band and their TJT/AB peak is nearly unparalleled.