• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed this game, but felt it was a little too long. By the time I reached the ice region I felt like I was rushing through the story and content just to get to the ending.

Didn't help that the story was pretty vanilla. Every region was basically the same plot. The enemy has been possessed by the enemy army's power, use your ring and they turn good and join your forces. Rinse and repeat.

But I digress… still was a great game. I played through ogre battle 64 for the first time about a year or two ago, and this felt like a modern day sequel.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Deep into Bastorias. Absolutely cruel how many more units you get than you can use. Would be nice if there were like 15 unit formations instead of 10...
It's a pain to keep 10 units around the same level without grinding as it is, 15 would stress me out.

I enjoyed this game, but felt it was a little too long. By the time I reached the ice region I felt like I was rushing through the story and content just to get to the ending.

Didn't help that the story was pretty vanilla. Every region was basically the same plot. The enemy has been possessed by the enemy army's power, use your ring and they turn good and join your forces. Rinse and repeat.

But I digress… still was a great game. I played through ogre battle 64 for the first time about a year or two ago, and this felt like a modern day sequel.
The writing in this game has no real ambition, it's about as basic and bland as your can make it. I've skipped everything on my true zenoiran run. It's a shame because everything else is so good.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Finished the game at a little over 50 hours. Great game; probably my favorite so far this year. It was great having a spiritual sequel to Ogre Battle 64 only, uh, 24 years later.

It did seem somewhat silly to unlock a ton of optional characters in the final optional level, once there's nothing really to do with them. I wish I could've recruited Elgor earlier in the game; I loved his crazy mouse face sprite and somewhat sympathetic motivation.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's a pain to keep 10 units around the same level without grinding as it is, 15 would stress me out.

The writing in this game has no real ambition, it's about as basic and bland as your can make it. I've skipped everything on my true zenoiran run. It's a shame because everything else is so good.

I played in Japanese, and the root material is pretty bland as well--standard affair stuff. Not bad per se, just boring.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Ok, this is gonna be a messy post.

I need to talk about the balancing, or relative lack thereof.

I consider doing a second run, because game is cool, but am at a point where I'm not sure what would be the point given how the game balancing works, no matter which difficulty I'd choose.

I mean I would definitely try different characters, different comps, doing stuff in different order, etc.

But the game is just way too "imbalanced" as it is. And I'm not sure it could be fixed with some minor stat updates or adding different difficulty settings.

Let me explain.

First off, let me get this straight, this is not an "tHe GaEm iS tOo eAsY" or "tHe GaEm iS tOo hArD" post. That's not my point, game difficulties mostly serve their purpose, even if not everyone will be satisfied.

No, there are multiple fundamental issues in how the game works, in how the battles are deeply asymetrical despite superficial symmetries.

And it all ends up in a pretty unsatsfying difficulty, no matter which setting you choose.

I won't list all the specific stuff, being able to choose which squads fights (even at zero stamina as long as they're in range!), being able to see the perfect forecast (!), being able to spend items and/or valor points, all while the enemy only uses some rather basic formations, composed of basic AI setups (items, conditions), only having the advantage of spamming units, powers, and having "super squads" which are only "super" in that they have bloated stats which pretty much means nothing if you have a goodenough setup.

Sure you have some limitations, like item usage limit, valor usage limit, not being able to use a valor power when engaging (all while being able to use "unlimited" items ... ahem), but most of the time, even if you need to manage multiple BS at once, you always feel in great control, and that's not a satisfying feeling in a strategy game. You rarely have to truly adapt once you know what you're doing. And I'm not talking about kwnowing the map. I'm talking having good teams which can curbstomp 99% of the enemy squads.

It's really telling when the main increase in difficulty from higher tiers does not come so much from higher stat or better composed enemies, but from item usage limits, items which are already in limited supply in any given game in the first place (between money and shop inventories), giving the feeling of a redundant limitation, even if needed.

Honestly, as much as I enjoy this game, the balancing really feels ducttaped together when you start digging into it. And that's pretty disappointing.

It utlimately kinda works at a superficial level, but feels like some major changes would be needed to improve it to satisfying levels, like removing the forecast as a potential example, but then again that would bring some major issues with the whole point of tweaking your squads before battle, and would often be more tedious than fun, trying to see what happens and retrying afterwards, meh.

Honestly I'm not sure how they could improve the balancing without some major rework on how the battles play out (such as having much more symetrical battles) and that's a bummer.

I think the game works very well enough as an RPG with strategy elements (despite the lackluster story), but kinda fails as a strategy game.

Oh well, I probably need to think about it a bit more.

I had a great time with it as some weird form of FFT successor where you break up the game to the point of shattering it to pieces with broken squads, but ultimately probably won't remember it as a masterpiece.

Have fun Era, it's a good game, just really messed up in some important aspects, methinks.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've noticed on TZ is the drastic increase in Valor skills by the enemy AI. More Arrow Rain, more Provoke, more Gravity. These help prevent you from being full strength coming in to battles or mess up your carefully plotter maneuvers to blitz garrisons.

The stat boosts also do just enough that boss fights tend to beat up your units. No more getting a garrison with a ORKO and immediately moving on, that unit lost two people and needs to sit and heal for a while. The five item limit also helps, as you're prioritizing saving up some Wind Faerie Charms to cancel out assists, using an Herb for post-battle heals, and trying to save a Liquid Fortune for the final boss. Units get beat up when you can't just top them off whenever.

At least for the way I play, TZ has brought some fun challenges.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Game would massive benefit from some post launch love but it's vanilla ware not their style. Doubt they're gonna give it dlc or a remix rerelease.
Even the lack of something like letting you replay with everything scaled to max level is a bit sad.

I did massively enjoy it but a lot of things stick out in a way that if they hit things better this would be a monster of a game vs just good.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
One thing I've noticed on TZ is the drastic increase in Valor skills by the enemy AI. More Arrow Rain, more Provoke, more Gravity. These help prevent you from being full strength coming in to battles or mess up your carefully plotter maneuvers to blitz garrisons.

The stat boosts also do just enough that boss fights tend to beat up your units. No more getting a garrison with a ORKO and immediately moving on, that unit lost two people and needs to sit and heal for a while. The five item limit also helps, as you're prioritizing saving up some Wind Faerie Charms to cancel out assists, using an Herb for post-battle heals, and trying to save a Liquid Fortune for the final boss. Units get beat up when you can't just top them off whenever.

At least for the way I play, TZ has brought some fun challenges.
Yeah that's cool in that in kinda adds a challenge but just feels like you're being hammered by artillery fire in a way you couldn't yourself were you in the enemy's position.

The latest FE probably spoiled me but it felt great that the game was mostly symmetrical beside the usual 1v3, the typical trigger conditions, and of course rewinding.

Here it just feels a bit too much like you're playing a different game than the enemy.

Stuff like stats for example, you can't really compare them due to how they have four tiers of units, therefore sure a two star « mini-boss » will have higher stats than you on higher difficulties, but they're mainly garrison holders where some zero star enemies spam out with stats barely comparable to your units (with poor items and general composition).

So it kinda feels like a game of attrition which kinds of reminds of some old RTSes, all while being a simplistic « tactical » game still.

It's weird.

Not to mention the whole « 5 items per battle » which spices up things but kinda defeats the whole point of the game showering you with items all while still having a theoretical finite number of items available per game. It all feels so self contradictory.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
What are some other games like this?

I've seen Symphony of War coming up a lot of time while looking up for something similar. It's currently on sale too. I haven't started it yet, so cannot say how similar it really is though.

store.steampowered.com

Save 40% on Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga on Steam

Enter Tahnra, a land savaged by war. You, a fresh academy graduate with humble beginnings, will grow to lead a grand army against a corrupt adversary. Gather heroes, form bonds, and lead your force in turn-based battles. Make use of tactics, terrain, morale and more to bring peace to the land!

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Ogre battle apparently. But personally haven't really played anything like this game mechanically before.
Not Tactic Ogre right?
I've seen Symphony of War coming up a lot of time while looking up for something similar. It's currently on sale too. I haven't started it yet, so cannot say how similar it really is though.

store.steampowered.com

Save 40% on Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga on Steam

Enter Tahnra, a land savaged by war. You, a fresh academy graduate with humble beginnings, will grow to lead a grand army against a corrupt adversary. Gather heroes, form bonds, and lead your force in turn-based battles. Make use of tactics, terrain, morale and more to bring peace to the land!
Thanks.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Not Tactic Ogre right?
Yeah not tactics ogre but the really old game Ogre Battle
ogre-battle.png

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Ogre Battle and Ogre Battle: 64 are the only games that have similar map movement and battle formations. They do it far better though, including the stories. The only real advantage this game has is that it's New and Pretty.

I will say that some aspects of recruitment of special characters can be VERY obtuse, and you get locked out of some based on your choices. There are also multiple class upgrades for each unit type, as well as some hidden ones. There's also a Chaos/Law stat that affects how a unit interacts with things, i.e. sending a high chaos unit to a peaceful town is actually kind of negative for you, and same for sending a high Law unit to a chaotic town. It also punishes you in some subtle ways for just curb-stomping enemies with your most powerful unit.

... and now I need to go replay them, damnit. I still have a N64 with Goldeneye and Ogre Battle 64, but no idea where to find the first one nowdays.

Last edited:

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
How similar are you wanting?

If it's specifically using customized RPG parties as units in a strategy game to auto-battle at each other for combat, then Ogre Battle, Symphony of War, and Soul Nomad are the only other ones I can think of.

But if you're more interested in the forming and tweaking lots of parties aspect and don't really mind how exactly they fight each other, there are tons more options. Lots of strategy games have you put together parties/squads to move around maps as single units, they just usually go to an instanced top-down tactical battle when units fight rather than doing the turn-based auto-battle stuff.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you!! It's been a long time since I've experienced a little withdrawal from a game. The last one was Hades and I hate this feeling.
Ogre Battle is prequel to Tactics Orge, basically. Same devs, similar story elements (not sure if technically the same world), similar mechanics.

As for similar games, that's tough, because it's quite an unique combination.

I'd say along the two big inspirations are Ogre Battle and Fire Emblem (all of them, even if this is a weird series in terms of mechanics continuity, the elements Unicorn imports are pretty much present in all games). Yet it also feels a lot like FFT due to how the game leans more into the « RPG » aspect than the « strategy » aspect (building powerhouses trumps strategy every day all day in this game like in FFT).

Aside from that all these games are turn-based, checkerboarded maps, soldier vs soldier games, even if you deploy a dozen of them in larger missions. They're also fairly linear games, with minimal « exploration » mechanics, if any. So it is hard to compare them to this « open-world real-time simulation-RPG ».

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
just got the dreadnought she's so cool totally in the " damn i get the discounted version of her" which is still insanely strong but not as cool
saw you can cheese it way earlier but i wanted to tackle it on my own setup thankfully that mode is pretty easy since you don't need to actually outright beat the other unit
She still absolutely slaps. With her and Berengaria, you don't really need hoplites anymore. Also, her rite of covenant scene is hilarious.

Ok, this is gonna be a messy post.

I need to talk about the balancing, or relative lack thereof.

I consider doing a second run, because game is cool, but am at a point where I'm not sure what would be the point given how the game balancing works, no matter which difficulty I'd choose.

I mean I would definitely try different characters, different comps, doing stuff in different order, etc.

But the game is just way too "imbalanced" as it is. And I'm not sure it could be fixed with some minor stat updates or adding different difficulty settings.

Let me explain.

First off, let me get this straight, this is not an "tHe GaEm iS tOo eAsY" or "tHe GaEm iS tOo hArD" post. That's not my point, game difficulties mostly serve their purpose, even if not everyone will be satisfied.

No, there are multiple fundamental issues in how the game works, in how the battles are deeply asymetrical despite superficial symmetries.

And it all ends up in a pretty unsatsfying difficulty, no matter which setting you choose.

I won't list all the specific stuff, being able to choose which squads fights (even at zero stamina as long as they're in range!), being able to see the perfect forecast (!), being able to spend items and/or valor points, all while the enemy only uses some rather basic formations, composed of basic AI setups (items, conditions), only having the advantage of spamming units, powers, and having "super squads" which are only "super" in that they have bloated stats which pretty much means nothing if you have a goodenough setup.

Sure you have some limitations, like item usage limit, valor usage limit, not being able to use a valor power when engaging (all while being able to use "unlimited" items ... ahem), but most of the time, even if you need to manage multiple BS at once, you always feel in great control, and that's not a satisfying feeling in a strategy game. You rarely have to truly adapt once you know what you're doing. And I'm not talking about kwnowing the map. I'm talking having good teams which can curbstomp 99% of the enemy squads.

It's really telling when the main increase in difficulty from higher tiers does not come so much from higher stat or better composed enemies, but from item usage limits, items which are already in limited supply in any given game in the first place (between money and shop inventories), giving the feeling of a redundant limitation, even if needed.

Honestly, as much as I enjoy this game, the balancing really feels ducttaped together when you start digging into it. And that's pretty disappointing.

It utlimately kinda works at a superficial level, but feels like some major changes would be needed to improve it to satisfying levels, like removing the forecast as a potential example, but then again that would bring some major issues with the whole point of tweaking your squads before battle, and would often be more tedious than fun, trying to see what happens and retrying afterwards, meh.

Honestly I'm not sure how they could improve the balancing without some major rework on how the battles play out (such as having much more symetrical battles) and that's a bummer.

I think the game works very well enough as an RPG with strategy elements (despite the lackluster story), but kinda fails as a strategy game.

Oh well, I probably need to think about it a bit more.

I had a great time with it as some weird form of FFT successor where you break up the game to the point of shattering it to pieces with broken squads, but ultimately probably won't remember it as a masterpiece.

Have fun Era, it's a good game, just really messed up in some important aspects, methinks.
Let's not pretend FFT and the various FE games are in any shape or form balanced. FFT has Cid, summoning and various abusable skills. FE has eugenics, pair up reclassing, early prepromotes, warp staves, infinite boots, bonus exp to name a couple. It shouldn't be a strike against UO, especially when you're scored to do well. Speedrunning tactics should be fun to see.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Aside from Ogre Battle and Ogre Battle 64, there's also Dragon Force & Soul Nomad which have the whole "watch in real time the battle simulation" aspect. Soul Nomad also has you mapping out who goes where on the grid. It's grid based movement though.

Dragon Force is really kind of its own thing though.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOcSm5NgyXk

I also played a game on PSP called Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection, which was surprisingly good! Recommended if you still have a Vita or PSP.

View: https://youtu.be/OSpo0MIQQF4?t=513

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Eh, the game isn't balanced worse than any other single player tactical rpg. I wish the game were harder, but there isn't some unique balancing issue here. It really is mostly a matter of difficulty.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Got this for 30 bucks, so I figured I'd take the plunge. Love strategy RPG's like FF Tactics and Fire Emblem, so maybe this can scratch that itch.

Hopefully the Switch version is a good port.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Hate to say it, but I'm kind of getting fed up with Drackenhold.

Getting mobbed by dragon riders in this slow-ass desert is a pain, and it feels like I have hardly any units suited for fighting dragon riders even though the game just throwing them at me

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
Just finished the last story mission and holy damn the number of NPCs who want to talk before I'm "allowed" to leave the zone is high ^^;
One more trophy and I have the Platinum.

I thoroughly enjoyed this game, I spent more than 80 hours so far, as well.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I'm toward the end of the ice region and I put it on hold for dragon dogma 2 but tbh I kinda dread going back to it. It's a trpg without tactic and the plot is worse than the worst Fire Emblem (At least Conquest is so bad it becomes funny). Funny people were arguing this game wanted to appeal to waifu lovers like persona, but the cast is so flavorless I don't think people even care about the "romances".

It's mostly salvaged by the amount of customization and I Seuss Vanillaware lovely presentation.

Alszem

Jan 1, 2018
Any comments on the card game that comes with the Monarch edition? (General quality, fun factor, etc.)

Thanks!

Salty_Piers

Oct 28, 2017
When I get into fights, I tend to just randomly mash different positions, equipment, tactics, etc until I get the best outcome. Am I doing something wrong? It doesn't feel like I'm thinking through the fights very much and still winning. I wish there was an option to hide the battle damage preview

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
When I get into fights, I tend to just randomly mash different positions, equipment, tactics, etc until I get the best outcome. Am I doing something wrong? It doesn't feel like I'm thinking through the fights very much and still winning. I wish there was an option to hide the battle damage preview

I did something similar as well. But it's not really random. You just have to see what kind of units you are fighting and where their position is.

Sometimes I know where to position my guys vs the enemy and sometimes I do what you do until I get a good outcome

Salty_Piers

Oct 28, 2017
Anything I should know before starting this? Gonna start it on my Switch today.
Hardest difficulty is very manageable if you've played tactics games before, I suggest trying it out. There are a ton of tutorials but they do a good job logging the tutorials for reference later. I like the English VO. There is an option to autopause, I suggest turning on all the auto pause options. Enjoy the amazing gameplay, art, and sound design ✨️

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
It is an amazing strategy game and to play it on the highest difficulty because the default difficulty is really low

Hardest difficulty is very manageable if you've played tactics games before, I suggest trying it out. There are a ton of tutorials but they do a good job logging the tutorials for reference later. I like the English VO. There is an option to autopause, I suggest turning on all the auto pause options. Enjoy the amazing gameplay, art, and sound design ✨️
Can you change difficulty at any time or is it locked? Thanks for the tips!

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Can you change difficulty at any time or is it locked? Thanks for the tips!
After the first clear there's a bonus difficulty that locks you in once you pick it. Other than that one, you can freely switch. The only differences between the first four difficulties are stat boosts for the enemy, a small increase in how many Valor skills they'll use, and Expert has a limit of 10 items per battle.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
70hrs and im about to wrap up the last 2 side missions then the final one usually pretty quick but this game i just wanted to do every piece of content, it's crazy how much loot is in this game it's among one of the many surprises i was not expecting and the amount of build options they allow with all of them

just like everyone else agree the story being so basic in comparison to everything else is it's weakest point

also... never found that one cleric with a mask i think shes the only unit im missing and maybe a wolf dude?

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
70hrs and im about to wrap up the last 2 side missions then the final one usually pretty quick but this game i just wanted to do every piece of content, it's crazy how much loot is in this game it's among one of the many surprises i was not expecting and the amount of build options they allow with all of them

just like everyone else agree the story being so basic in comparison to everything else is it's weakest point

also... never found that one cleric with a mask i think shes the only unit im missing and maybe a wolf dude?
That one requires beating the game a special way.

You have to defeat Galerius before you rescue Scarlett. Easiest to do on Story Mode, use Berengaria to summon mercs that match the Lv. 38 Liberation fight south of the Gran Corrine. Once done, you have access to the highest level sigil fight which you can similarly cheese. Once your party is leveled, you take on the final fight.

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
Currently at the end of Cornia. I have for the moment 4 units. How many units you use near the end of the game ? I don't see me manage 10 units.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
It is an amazing strategy game and to play it on the highest difficulty because the default difficulty is really low
Nah, as a strategy game it's kinda lacking. It's a good « RPG » with strategy elements though.

I mean as long as you don't care about the plot. Or choices & consequences.

It's a game where you don't strategize as much as build OP units (which is fun, but not what people usually call strategy).

And it looks lovely (bar the blatant objectification issues).

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I'm toward the end of the ice region and I put it on hold for dragon dogma 2 but tbh I kinda dread going back to it. It's a trpg without tactic and the plot is worse than the worst Fire Emblem (At least Conquest is so bad it becomes funny). Funny people were arguing this game wanted to appeal to waifu lovers like persona, but the cast is so flavorless I don't think people even care about the "romances".

It's mostly salvaged by the amount of customization and I Seuss Vanillaware lovely presentation.
The game is all about building OP stuff to circumvent the BS the game often throws at you.

It's lacking strategy but is still fun in an « Imma gonna break this game into tiny little pieces » kinda way.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Currently at the end of Cornia. I have for the moment 4 units. How many units you use near the end of the game ? I don't see me manage 10 units.
I have six total with only the final battle left. One is pure Archer support, three are for attacking, and the other two have dropped off a bit, so I'll use them to defend the main base if needed.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, as a strategy game it's kinda lacking. It's a good « RPG » with strategy elements though.

It's a game where you don't strategize as much as build OP units (which is fun, but not what people usually call strategy).

Seems like a semantic disagreement here where if you insist that only moving units around a map in thoughtful ways is considered strategy leads to a scenario where it feels like a lot of games we'd consider part of the strategy genre wouldn't be called strategy anymore.

As far as I can tell I don't think that's a very common distinction I've encountered in gaming within the larger genre of all strategy games. Building up how your team/unit/setup works has also always been a part of it and even to a degree where I feel you've had games like this one strongly emphasize this type of gameplay. Like when you talk for example hero item and skill builds in a dota match you're not making a distinction that, that part of it is RPG, same as for starcraft 2 build orders being something else just cause it's not moving units around.

I dunno but that's maybe just me in my circles of language in the end again it just seems like a semantic disagreement where I'm definitely more used to things outside of unit movement being part of strategy.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Seems like a semantic disagreement here where if you insist that only moving units around a map in thoughtful ways is considered strategy leads to a scenario where it feels like a lot of games we'd consider part of the strategy genre wouldn't be called strategy anymore.

As far as I can tell I don't think that's a very common distinction I've encountered in gaming within the larger genre of all strategy games. Building up how your team/unit/setup works has also always been a part of it and even to a degree where I feel you've had games like this one strongly emphasize this type of gameplay. Like when you talk for example hero item and skill builds in a dota match you're not making a distinction that, that part of it is RPG, same as for starcraft 2 build orders being something else just cause it's not moving units around.

I dunno but that's maybe just me in my circles of language in the end again it just seems like a semantic disagreement where I'm definitely more used to things outside of unit movement being part of strategy.
I dunno where I'm from (and around SRPG circles) it seems like there's a common admission that there's an inner tension within the genre between the two poles of « strategy » and « RPG », which aren't strict opposites per se, but where games tend to « fall » into one of these two poles.

FFT is known to be an « RPG on a grid » for example. And this game is in the same vein, as in building OP units being the name of the game, whereas games such as TO (especially the remade version) and older FE games lean more on the strategy part where it's not so much about having « super-units » but rather using the toolkit which is your army as efficiently as possible.

But of course there is strategy here much like in FFT. It's just that the RPG part is much more prevalent IMO.

dred

Oct 27, 2017

There's a lot of strategy that goes into building your units. I think it's unfair to the game to gloss over that. To me it's similar to a game like Tactics Ogre where a lot of the strategy comes from tinkering around in menus, which I enjoy quite a bit. Even still, I found the strategy that comes from moving units around the map and executing to be enjoyable as well.

Not trying to discredit your opinion at all, but I quite enjoyed the balance and strategy feel of the game throughout.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno where I'm from (and around SRPG circles) it seems like there's a common admission that there's an inner tension within the genre between the two poles of « strategy » and « RPG », which aren't strict opposites per se, but where games tend to « fall » into one of these two poles.

FFT is known to be an « RPG on a grid » for example. And this game is in the same vein, as in building OP units being the name of the game, whereas games such as TO (especially the remade version) and older FE games lean more on the strategy part where it's not so much about having « super-units » but rather using the toolkit which is your army as efficiently as possible.

But of course there is strategy here much like in FFT. It's just that the RPG part is much more prevalent IMO.
Both TO and FE are Tactics RPGs. Arguing which has more strategy elements is arguing semantics.

Like Holundrian said, unit movement =/= strategy.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Single player strategy games are pretty much all easy without some sort of modding, using the difficulty to claim that this isn't a strategy game doesn't make sense.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
There's a lot of strategy that goes into building your units.
Of course.

But that's not what players of the genre usually call « strategy ».

There's a reason some of the most hardcore fans of strategy games prefer titles like Advance Wars where there is little-to-no RPG aspect (in the usual sense anyway).

Anyway, game is fun, is all that matters.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Just got the platinum trophy, think I'm done with this one for a while. It's a good game, the pacing is great and the three styles of missions (liberation, side, main) help spice things up. My biggest issue is that True Zenoiran isn't available from the start, the game on expert is way too easy and I say this as someone who barely plays strategy games. I rarely, if ever, had to think deeply about my moves. Shame since the game is so long that I'm not inclined to replay it. Hard modes hidden behind needing to beat the game first continue to be my bane.