• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
DENVER (AP) — The United States has issued its first passport with an "X" gender designation — a milestone in the recognition of the rights of people who don't identify as male or female — and expects to be able to offer the option more broadly next year, the State Department said Wednesday.

The U.S. special diplomatic envoy for LGBTQ rights, Jessica Stern, called the moves historic and celebratory, saying they bring the government documents in line with the "lived reality" that there is a wider spectrum of human sex characteristics than is reflected in the previous two designations.

"When a person obtains identity documents that reflect their true identity, they live with greater dignity and respect," Stern said.

The department did not announce to whom the passport was issued. A department official declined to say whether it was for Dana Zzyym, an intersex Colorado resident who has been in a legal battle with the department since 2015, saying the department does not usually discuss individual passport applications because of privacy concerns.
Zzyym (pronounced Zimm) was denied a passport for failing to check male or female on an application. According to court documents, Zzyym wrote "intersex" above the boxes marked "M" and "F" and requested an "X" gender marker instead in a separate letter.

Zzyym was born with ambiguous physical sexual characteristics but was raised as a boy and underwent several surgeries that failed to make Zzyym appear fully male, according to court filings. Zzyym served in the Navy as a male but later came to identify as intersex while working and studying at Colorado State University. The department's denial of Zzyym's passport prevented Zzyym from being able to travel to a meeting of Organization Intersex International in Mexico.
The department now also allows applicants to self-select their gender as male or female, no longer requiring them to provide medical certification if their gender did not match that listed on their other identification documents.

The United States joins a handful of countries, including Australia, New Zealand, Nepal and Canada, in allowing its citizens to designate a gender other than male or female on their passports.
apnews.com

United States issues its 1st passport with 'X' gender marker

The United States has issued its first passport with an “X” gender designation for people who don’t identify as male or female.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Rad! Always appreciate seeing victories like this. Good to keep in mind there is more than just bad news.

Jaymes

Sep 18, 2021
Can the gender and sex things just be removed all together? Not just passports, but all formal identification, be it bank statements, employment applications, driver's license, etc. I just don't want my perceived gender to be what defines me and despise the expectations it places on me. Hopefully more countries follow soon.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Can the gender and sex things just be removed all together? Not just passports, but all formal identification, be it bank statements, employment applications, driver's license, etc. I just don't want my perceived gender to be what defines me and despise the expectations it places on me. Hopefully more countries follow soon.
No as it impacts who can search the persons.

I imagine the past 10 months between Biden's inauguration and now have been executive leadership creating the rules for the various departments to follow with the addition of neither.

Jaymes

Sep 18, 2021
No as it impacts who can search the persons.

I imagine the past 10 months between Biden's inauguration and now have been executive leadership creating the rules for the various departments to follow with the addition of neither.
Aren't most security personnel male? Bouncers at night clubs search everyone regardless of gender. I even know at least one woman who enjoys the big, hunky bouncers getting their hands on her. Obviously this stuff can get quite awkward, but the segregated searches by gender is mostly tied to heterosexual norms, that are becoming increasingly outdated. Not everyone is straight and neither are all security personnel straight. I'd personally prefer not to get searched, but for the safety of others, I don't always get that choice. At the end of the day, I don't care what sex or gender my doctor, GP, medical or security personnel are, as long as they do a good job. More intimate stuff like massages could be awkward if you're attracted to the person providing you the service, but it's best just to relax and allow them to be professional to make it as least awkward as possible.

FinalRPG

Oct 27, 2017

No that's like when instead of allowing gay marriage, some people argued to get rid of marriage completely. People should be given MORE rights, not less. This is the correct approach.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
Argentina also adopted the neutral gender this year.
The President's son came out as non binary just after that.

Jaymes

Sep 18, 2021
No that's like when instead of allowing gay marriage, some people argued to get rid of marriage completely. People should be given MORE rights, not less. This is the correct approach.
I just view the whole Mr, Ms, Miss and Mrs things to be an outdated from of patriarchy where nobody cares about a man's marital status, but for some reason obsess over a woman's. Removing the gender or sex box, removes the expectations of them meeting a certain set of criteria for social appearances. I'd rather be known for my first name and possibly surname, then known by my gender. My name identifies me, not my gender; my gender presentation varies and it's like listing my sexual preferences or musical preferences on formal documentation as far as I'm concerned. My penis is not my identity, although it being their determines how hospitals might operate on me and unfortunately what they're limited to prescribing me.

Removing the pigeonholes, removes the pressure to meet any of those expectations. Comparing it to marriage is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison because marriage is about security and showing a devoted commitment to each other (however superficial that may be). Being male, female or X is just about meeting a criteria that feels like a remnant of patriarchy (although you could argue the same about marriage, except gay marriage gives that notion the middle finger).

FinalRPG

Oct 27, 2017
I just view the whole Mr, Ms, Miss and Mrs things to be an outdated from of patriarchy where nobody cares about a man's marital status, but for some reason obsess over a woman's. Removing the gender or sex box, removes the expectations of them meeting a certain set of criteria for social appearances. I'd rather be known for my first name and possibly surname, then known by my gender. My name identifies me, not my gender; my gender presentation varies and it's like listing my sexual preferences or musical preferences on formal documentation as far as I'm concerned. My penis is not my identity, although it being their determines how hospitals might operate on me and unfortunately what they're limited to prescribing me.

Removing the pigeonholes, removes the pressure to meet any of those expectations. Comparing it to marriage is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison because marriage is about security and showing a devoted commitment to each other (however superficial that may be). Being male, female or X is just about meeting a criteria that feels like a remnant of patriarchy (although you could argue the same about marriage, except gay marriage gives that notion the middle finger).

I think it's fair that you feel that way, but other people do identify with their assigned gender and you're asking to take that away from them. This approach of allowing an unspecified answer seems the best way to appease both groups.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
The same people who are angry and sensitive about this are the ones who forced our state to remove weight from drivers license because it gave them heartache.

Jaymes

Sep 18, 2021
I think it's fair that you feel that way, but other people do identify with their assigned gender and you're asking to take that away from them. This approach of allowing an unspecified answer seems the best way to appease both groups.
I guess for the passport thing, then fine, but I really would like to see the gendered titles like Mr and Miss disappear. It would make transitioning easier for some people. All I'd need to do is add a "y" into my first name and voila, it looks feminine. First names mean more to me then titles unless they're a doctor or something else important. Maybe I just have unresolved gender issues. The X however reminds me of crossdressing (such a confusing term when they're my clothes), but I'm nit picking now.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that's very rad. Small list of countries too, don't see the USA on the good side of that coin often lol

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear this. May be able to get my passport fixed before my driver's license.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I see where you are coming from. It'd be nice to have pronouns instead or something alike, maybe?

Dec 12, 2017
Aren't most security personnel male? Bouncers at night clubs search everyone regardless of gender. I even know at least one woman who enjoys the big, hunky bouncers getting their hands on her. Obviously this stuff can get quite awkward, but the segregated searches by gender is mostly tied to heterosexual norms, that are becoming increasingly outdated. Not everyone is straight and neither are all security personnel straight. I'd personally prefer not to get searched, but for the safety of others, I don't always get that choice. At the end of the day, I don't care what sex or gender my doctor, GP, medical or security personnel are, as long as they do a good job. More intimate stuff like massages could be awkward if you're attracted to the person providing you the service, but it's best just to relax and allow them to be professional to make it as least awkward as possible.
This is a passport. In many countries a man physically searching a woman would still be extremely problematic unfortunately. This allows for way more transparency at least

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
How would this be removing rights though?
Gender quota in government is a huge topic in Germany (1/3 female is not really representative, given that more people are identifying as woman than man). Do I really want it to be more difficult for female identifying people to go into higher positions such as parliament, leading company positions etc.?

You could argue that the removal would lead to a higher amount of woman in leading positions or more male in pink jobs, but I think that's not what would actually happen.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Wonder if I can change this out with my current passport. Hmm.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That is great news. It's like having they them pronouns, my gender/genitals are not something strangers need to know from documentation.