mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
www.propublica.org

UnitedHealthcare tried to deny coverage to a chronically ill patient. He fought back, exposing the insurer’s inner workings.

After a college student finally found a treatment that worked, the insurance giant decided it wouldn’t pay for the costly drugs. His fight to get coverage exposed the insurer’s hidden procedures for rejecting claims.

Article is too long to really fully cover in this first post, but I do think it's worth reading. These insurance folks are snakes.

In May 2021, a nurse at UnitedHealthcare called a colleague to share some welcome news about a problem the two had been grappling with for weeks.

United provided the health insurance plan for students at Penn State University. It was a large and potentially lucrative account: lots of young, healthy students paying premiums in, not too many huge medical reimbursements going out.

But one student was costing United a lot of money. Christopher McNaughton suffered from a crippling case of ulcerative colitis — an ailment that caused him to develop severe arthritis, debilitating diarrhea, numbing fatigue and life-threatening blood clots. His medical bills were running nearly $2 million a year.

On the 2021 phone call, which was recorded by the company, nurse Victoria Kavanaugh told her colleague that a doctor contracted by United to review the case had concluded that McNaughton's treatment was "not medically necessary." Her colleague, Dave Opperman, reacted to the news with a long laugh.

"I knew that was coming," said Opperman, who heads up a United subsidiary that brokered the health insurance contract between United and Penn State. "I did too," Kavanaugh replied.

Opperman then complained about McNaughton's mother, whom he referred to as "this woman," for "screaming and yelling" and "throwing tantrums" during calls with United.

The pair agreed that any appeal of the United doctor's denial of the treatment would be a waste of the family's time and money.

"We're still gonna say no," Opperman said.

More than 200 million Americans are covered by private health insurance. But data from state and federal regulators shows that insurers reject about 1 in 7 claims for treatment. Many people, faced with fighting insurance companies, simply give up: One study found that Americans file formal appeals on only 0.1% of claims denied by insurers under the Affordable Care Act.

Insurers have wide discretion in crafting what is covered by their policies, beyond some basic services mandated by federal and state law. They often deny claims for services that they deem not "medically necessary."

When United refused to pay for McNaughton's treatment for that reason, his family did something unusual. They fought back with a lawsuit, which uncovered a trove of materials, including internal emails and tape-recorded exchanges among company employees. Those records offer an extraordinary behind-the-scenes look at how one of America's leading health care insurers relentlessly fought to reduce spending on care, even as its profits rose to record levels.

As United reviewed McNaughton's treatment, he and his family were often in the dark about what was happening or their rights. Meanwhile, United employees misrepresented critical findings and ignored warnings from doctors about the risks of altering McNaughton's drug plan.

At one point, court records show, United inaccurately reported to Penn State and the family that McNaughton's doctor had agreed to lower the doses of his medication. Another time, a doctor paid by United concluded that denying payments for McNaughton's treatment could put his health at risk, but the company buried his report and did not consider its findings. The insurer did, however, consider a report submitted by a company doctor who rubber-stamped the recommendation of a United nurse to reject paying for the treatment.

But the records reviewed by ProPublica show that United had another, equally urgent goal in dealing with McNaughton. In emails, officials calculated what McNaughton was costing them to keep his crippling disease at bay and how much they would save if they forced him to undergo a cheaper treatment that had already failed him. As the family pressed the company to back down, first through Penn State and then through a lawsuit, the United officials handling the case bristled.

"This is just unbelievable," Kavanaugh said of McNaughton's family in one call to discuss his case. "They're just really pushing the envelope, and I'm surprised, like I don't even know what to say."

Mornings were the hardest. McNaughton often spent several hours in the bathroom at the start of the day. To prepare for his meeting with Loftus, he set his alarm for 3:30 a.m. so he could be ready for the 7:30 a.m. appointment. Even with that preparation, he had to stop twice to use a bathroom on the five-minute walk from the hotel to the clinic. When they met, Loftus looked at McNaughton and told him that he appeared incapacitated. It was, he told the student, as if McNaughton were chained to the bathroom, with no outside life. He had not been able to return to school and spent most days indoors, managing his symptoms as best he could.

McNaughton had tried a number of medications by this point, none of which worked. This pattern would repeat itself during the first couple of years that Loftus treated him.

The unusual high-dose combination of two biologic drugs produced a remarkable change in McNaughton. He no longer had blood in his stool, and his trips to the bathroom were cut from 20 times a day to three or four. He was able to eat different foods and put on weight. He had more energy. He tapered off prednisone.

"If you told me in 2015 that I would be living like this, I would have asked where do I sign up," McNaughton said of the change he experienced with the new drug regimen.

In January 2021, McNaughton received a new explanation of benefits for the prior months. All of the claims for his care, beginning in September, were no longer "pending." They were stamped "DENIED." The total outstanding bill for his treatment was $807,086.

When McNaughton's mother reached a United customer service representative the next day to ask why bills that had been paid in the summer were being denied for the fall, the representative told her the account was being reviewed because of "a high dollar amount on the claims," according to a recording of the call.

With United refusing to pay, the family was terrified of being stuck with medical bills that would bankrupt them and deprive McNaughton of treatment that they considered miraculous.

They turned to Penn State for help. Light and McNaughton's father, David, hoped their position as faculty members would make the school more willing to intervene on their behalf.

Kavanaugh, who was assigned to a special investigations unit at United, let her feelings about the matter be known in a recorded telephone call with a representative of MRIoA.

"This school apparently is a big client of ours," she said. She then shared her opinion of McNaughton's treatment. "Really this is a case of a kid who's getting a drug way too much, like too much of a dose," Kavanaugh said. She said it was "insane that they would even think that this is reasonable" and "to be honest with you, they're awfully pushy considering that we are paying through the end of this school year."

When Kavanaugh called Loftus' office to set up a conversation with Pabby, she explained it was an urgent matter and had been requested by McNaughton. "You know I've just gotten to know Christopher," she explained, although she had never spoken with him. "We're trying to advocate and help and get this peer-to-peer set up."

McNaughton, meanwhile, had no idea at the time that a United doctor had decided his treatment was unnecessary and that the insurer was trying to set up a phone call with his physician.

"When we got the denial and they lied about what Dr. Loftus said, it just hit me that none of this matters," McNaughton said. "They will just say or do anything to get rid of me. It delegitimized the entire review process. When I got that denial, I was crushed."

Cates said that he does about a hundred reviews a week. He said that in his reviews he typically checks to see if any medications are prescribed in accordance with the insurer's guidelines, and if not, he denies it. United's policies, he said, prevented him from considering that McNaughton had failed other treatments or that Loftus was a leading expert in his field.

"You are giving zero weight to the treating doctor's opinion on the necessity of the treatment regimen?" a lawyer asked Cates in his deposition. He responded, "Yeah."

United, in correspondence with McNaughton, noted that its review of his care was "not a treatment decision. Treatment decisions are made between you and your physician." But by threatening not to pay for his medications, or only to pay for a different regimen, McNaughton said, United was in fact attempting to dictate his treatment. From his perspective, the insurer was playing doctor, making decisions without ever examining him or even speaking to him.

The idea of changing his treatment or stopping it altogether caused constant worry for McNaughton, exacerbating his colitis and triggering physical symptoms, according to his doctors. Those included a large ulcer on his leg and welts under his skin on his thighs and shin that made his leg muscles stiff and painful to the point where he couldn't bend his leg or walk properly. There were daily migraines and severe stomach pain. "I was consumed with this situation," McNaughton said. "My path was unconventional, but I was proud of myself for fighting back and finishing school and getting my life back on track. I thought they were singling me out. My biggest fear was going back to the hell."

The McNaughtons were well aware of the financial situation at United. They looked at publicly available financial results and annual reports. Last year, United reported a profit of $20.1 billion on revenues of $324.2 billion.

When discussing the case with Penn State, Light said, she told university administrators that United could pay for a year of her son's treatment using just minutes' worth of profit.

McNaughton's fight to maintain his treatment regimen has come at a cost of time, debilitating stress and depression. "My biggest fear is realizing I might have to do this every year of my life," he said.

McNaughton said one motivation for his lawsuit was to expose how insurers like United make decisions about what care they will pay for and what they will not. The case remains pending, a court docket shows.

He has been accepted to Penn State's law school. He hopes to become a health care lawyer working for patients who find themselves in situations similar to his.

He plans to reenroll in the United health care plan when he starts school next fall.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
The whole insurance middle man system is just f-d up. Been there with denied coverage and it's like tilting at the brick wall trying to get anything out of them.

It's depressing to think that if anything changes it's probably be for the worst.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I have United. They indeed, suck, and make life miserable for people that need help. They reject so much and barely cover anything.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
In the race to the bottom for US Health Insurance companies, United Healthcare seems to often stand above the rest.

Terrified of the fact my doctor's network (Atrius health in MA) is now owned by United Healthcare's provider wing and is thus for profit now.

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017
I hate American healthcare. This is absolutely routine behavior and how insurance companies operate. They act like they're the doctor, and set the plan of care based on how much they're willing to pay. Ive been a nurse for 7 years and see this all the time. It's disgusting.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
e75e3b8b-3925-4faf-a6je03.jpeg

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I bill insurances for medical equipment for work, deal with this type of shit every day. These fucks are pure evil.

Booshka

May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
ProPublica does great reporting, their reporting on the Hospice industry is quite damning as well.

It's all just awful and dystopian, and only people at the margins dealing with these issue's directly are able to cry out to share their stories.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
There are lots of things I hate about insurance and our healthcare. But I absolutely hate the idea of insurance companies dictating patients medical procedures. It happens all the time, especially with biologics. I hate that doctors who go along with it, and I hate the manufacturers for gouging everyone in the process.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
United, in correspondence with McNaughton, noted that its review of his care was "not a treatment decision. Treatment decisions are made between you and your physician."

Anyone who has dealt with dealing with specialty medication is making the biggest jerkoff motion in the world to this. It's infuriating to me.

I can relate to so much in this report. I have Crohn's Disease, which is similar to the ulcerative colitis that this patient has. I was giving myself Humira injections twice a month and it was doing a pretty good job of keeping me in remission for about a decade. But blood tests eventually showed that I started building up some resistance to it so my doctor recommended that I go up to 3 injections a month. It ended up denied by my insurance as "not medically necessary". Since the 2x a month plan wasn't enough for me anymore it meant I had to try a different medication. That was 3 years ago and I haven't found a medication since that's worked for me as well as the Humira did; I've been varying levels of sick ever since.

It's not just United either. I have BlueCross BlueShield and I post a lot on /r/CrohnsDisease where people with other insurance companies post similar horror stories. All of these insurance companies pull this shit. It's gotten to the point where if you need a biologic drug it's not a matter of if you'll run into an insurance complication that makes you want to bash your head against the wall - it's a matter of when. That's how common it is to get screwed over like that.

Last edited:

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Why are biologics so expensive? They mentioned that one pharmacy makes these drugs, can they be cheaper?
If I remember correctly, biologics are dramatically cheaper in Europe though some copyright in the US is set to expire this year? Don't take my word as 100% though as I vaguely remember reading about this a while back

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is awful and completely unsurprising. The only mistake is thinking they are the only healthcare provider like this.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who works in the insurance industry...that was a hard read, just absolutely horrible and inhumane, can't imagine working in an organization like that.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Insurance is a scam in capitalism. I still don't understand why we rely on such a broken system for so much.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm currently on Medicaid and have been going through some difficult medical times. Medicaid has been a godsend for me during this, and I absolutely dread what will happen if I am forced to give it up for private health insurance. Stories like this don't help with that anxiety.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Insurance is a scam in capitalism. I still don't understand why we rely on such a broken system for so much.

Years of propaganda that anything different would be Death Panels and Long Wait Lines. Ignoring the reality that those two things are already a thing.

Nov 16, 2017
Not dealing with this kind of shit is exactly why I want Medicare for All. Whatever my taxes would be is fine, so long as I don't have to fight a middleman to get treatment for myself or a loved one during an incredibly difficult time.

Not having hospitals would be awesome too. But mostly the headaches of dealing with insurance.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
ProPublica is quite honestly the only real news we have in US that pushes against corporations and state actions. Incredible piece.

Lock all millionaires up who profit from other people's misery.

Mar 11, 2020
Fucking hell this is sad. My husband constantly has to fight his insurance for ulcerative colitis. And they keep delaying his infusion or switching it around constantly. We have Cigna.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
My work insurance is switching from United to Blue Cross this year. I take specialty medication and it's actually been kinda fine insurance-wise, but I'm fully dreading some kind of fuckery once they switch over.

MrPoppins

Oct 27, 2017
Silicon Valley - CA
So fucked but not surprising to me. My mom has had a long career in medical billing. She has always told me how UnitedHealthcare is far and away the worst of the major health insurers. She is getting close to retirement so now just works part time for an esteemed neurosurgeon.

She has multiple stories of having to fight with UHC for some patients because of them trying to deny claims related to emergency brain surgeries. Like I'm talking about people who were on the emergency table after a gnarly motorcycle accident literally on the verge of death, and UHC would somehow try and find certain aspects of the procedures they deemed unnecessary to shirk covering all the costs.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
fuck private insurance, providing no benefit while driving up the cost of health care to an insane level

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
So fucked but not surprising to me. My mom has had a long career in medical billing. She has always told me how UnitedHealthcare is far and away the worst of the major health insurers. She is getting close to retirement so now just works part time for an esteemed neurosurgeon.

Eerily close to my mom (though mine is fully retired). I've heard horror stories about denials from her, and I credit her working in the field forever to her voting blue recently. Just seen too many people get screwed because of corporate greed.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: I used to work at United in a let's say very escalated department, I know one of the people named here and this shit *happens all the time*. It's specifically what got me out of insurance and into the patient side of things. On the daily I would see us deny life-saving surgeries because they were "not medically necessary" and all kinds of extreme bullshit. I worked with more than one member who wound up committing suicide as a result of denied services/medications.

It's as soul crushing as it sounds. I worked for other major insurers and they are all various levels of fuckery, but United is absolutely far and away the worse both as an employee and on the provider side.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Not dealing with this kind of shit is exactly why I want Medicare for All. Whatever my taxes would be is fine, so long as I don't have to fight a middleman to get treatment for myself or a loved one during an incredibly difficult time.

Not having hospitals would be awesome too. But mostly the headaches of dealing with insurance.

Your employer is already paying between $500 and $1500 per month for their portion of premiums depending on individual/family coverage. A single payer system should be cheaper. So, while your taxes would go up, the cost to employ you goes down and if the average premium cost per employee was added to everyone's paycheck, your take home pay could actually be larger.

Now, we can all have a good chuckle on whether or not employers would increase your pay when their costs go down, but it shouldn't actually be a larger burden on us than what we have now.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to a doctor, clinic or lab is already stressful if not painful enough.

But it doesn't compare to dealing with insurance. It's a horror show every time literally losing a half day or a full day (minimum) dealing with an insurance issue.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Why are biologics so expensive? They mentioned that one pharmacy makes these drugs, can they be cheaper?

Biologics by virtue of their production process are effectively monopolies to themselves because the complex molecule that makes them up is often a result of the different quirks of the production process that might not be immediately identifiable or transferrable across facilities. In a market like the US where they are much less regulated compared with Europe and there's a pool of people with a high willingness to pay (usually treatments are life-saving or changing), it's quite simple to see sky-high prices.

Last edited:

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
My wife has rheumatoid arthiritis and takes a biologic injection every week.

I'm always afraid they'll come up with some BS to deny coverage.

I'm in Canada but drug coverage here is via private insurance so you know someone on the other end is looking to cut costs.

I know some drug companies will cover the costs if you can't afford it or get screwed by insurance.

Don't want the bad publicity I guess.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
One of the things my dad has hammered into my head throughout my life was: Fuck health insurance companies.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Situation sounds similar to my experience with treatment for Crohn's. I'm on Stelara right now and I'm only able to get it because I'm under an assistance plan with the manufacturer. My insurance wants jack shit to do with it.

But I'll also likely be out the income range next year to qualify for the manufacturer's assistance program. What's gonna happen to my health after that point? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
United Healthcare runs a bunch of nursing homes too and the quality is just garbage. The only time the residents get quality care is when there's a "surprise" inspection due. To the point that residents know when state is coming by the sudden uptick in care.

On another note, that treatment plan the doctor was using looks promising. I hope it can help a lot of people suffering from UC (as long as their insurance covers it).

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
I have to fight with my insurance so often due to needing to visit the audiologist for assorted visits, and getting insurance to cover hearing aids? lol. I'm having to get in touch with them (Aetna) sometime soon to figure out how much the state will have to cover should the state approve me for financial assistance with them...

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
My mom was a therapist and she said while all insurance was awful, UHC was decidedly the worst about covering things.

Jul 25, 2018
I was just diagnosed with ulcerative colitis last month. I'm on mesalamine, prednisone, and imuran, currently, but I hit an extremely bad re-flare few days ago, with 15+ bloody diarrhea episodes and fainting.

This shit is terrifying to me.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I work directly with insurance all day including handling claim denials. It's a pretty obviously broken system to ANYONEt that understands it. That's the problem, they rely on obfuscating the workings of insurance so that they can continue to butter up government officials for profit without the average person realizing how fucked it is.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
This reminds me of that story about a woman who got mauled by a bear and when asked what the hardest part of the whole ordeal was she just said "dealing with insurance"

Private insurance companies and for-profit medicine are two of the most fucked up things about our society honestly. Add in the fact that hospitals all over the country are going under (in my area we just lost one community hospital about 60 miles away, and two other hospitals including one that's the third biggest employer in my county are also under risk of going under) and I really just don't see how this shit is sustainable

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Everyone with a chronic condition has stories like this, but this one is pretty extreme. The behind-the-scenes conversations revealed here are exactly what you'd expect: corporate assholes second-guessing your doctor to boost their numbers. For-profit health insurance is a parasitic industry that makes living in America measurably worse.