• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Danlord

Oct 29, 2017
Looks very promising. I'm really liking the output of Unity development that's happened over the past couple of years. I remember a bunch of high-profile hires such as graphics programmers from DICE I remember and I felt quite optimistic about how that'd help Unity in the face of strong competition from Unreal Engine so it's nice to see the fruits of their labours with these big new systems.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's so weird to see MM being attributed to TLOU2 specifically when it's been used in other games/engines this gen and the person involved is directly related to the last prominent game that incorporated it.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird to see MM being attributed to TLOU2 specifically when it's been used in other games/engines this gen and the person involved is directly related to the last prominent game that incorporated it.

Probably the myriad of,"TLoU2 can't be the real deal!" even from some notable people in the industry itself. So now everyone wants to know how and its going to be associated with TLoU2.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Because those games didn't implement it as effectively. TLOU2 has blown people away with its animations system to the point where some people aren't even sure if it's real, hence people want more animations in games on that sort of level. It's essentially a prime example of the potential of Motion Matching.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Probably the myriad of,"TLoU2 can't be the real deal!" even from some notable people in the industry itself. So now everyone wants to know how and its going to be associated with TLoU2.
The general animation of the non scripted parts is believable, as there are even flaws:
EzbQOMk.gif

Motion matching covers pretty much everything.

It's just some things are so very obviously scripted like...it'd be funny to see just how badly the demo would break if the demo person tried to do anything but this if there's even any control at all.
VBTSspQ.gif

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't this just look even more embarrassing for Eidos Montreal when a range of studios are getting in on this technology and their people are in the corner talking about how it can't be real?

pALPwQ2Lm29OSufZYajBDv8SDYP4M_MP67ZNDCFT0358NyPMYko9Ffhk4ttzyvb3L4ESjm3uyvBbBnv2dhu9pl9ydu0HlwM8bWQSBS0E=w435-h246-nc

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't this just look even more embarrassing for Eidos Montreal when a range of studios are getting in on this technology and their people are in the corner talking about how it can't be real?
First, one person doesn't represent the thoughts of the entire studio, second, pretty sure he was referring to stuff like the second gif above, not motion matching as a concept.

is Unreal Engine 4 gonna have it?
You can already download a plugin for it.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

pALPwQ2Lm29OSufZYajBDv8SDYP4M_MP67ZNDCFT0358NyPMYko9Ffhk4ttzyvb3L4ESjm3uyvBbBnv2dhu9pl9ydu0HlwM8bWQSBS0E=w435-h246-nc
To be fair, I think it was only the studio head who said that. I don't know anything about him but chances are, he is more of a business person and not really up-to-date on new methods and techonolgies. I'm sure the animators at Eidos Montreal were well aware of what motion matching is.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The general animation of the non scripted parts is believable, as there are even flaws:
EzbQOMk.gif

Motion matching covers pretty much everything.

It's just some things are so very obviously scripted like...it'd be funny to see just how badly the demo would break if the demo person tried to do anything but this if there's even any control at all.
VBTSspQ.gif
What's scripted about that?

Oct 31, 2017
I watched that GDC presentation at the time and found the tech interesting... But I had no idea that it was going to be implemented outside of Ubisoft productions. Not so soon, anyway.
I also had no idea it was used for TLoU2.

Seems like one of these things the industry is anxious to benefit from as soon as possible.
And I can see why. Excellent results with (comparatively) less work for the animators.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What's scripted about that?
The animation, the reactions, the positioning, hell, likely even the timing of each arrow shot. Ask yourself what would happen if that occurred anywhere else in the room, it cuts directly into a cinematic, ok,
-What if Ellie didn't have a machete equipped
-What if she never went into the store
-The health bar going very conveniently to the last sliver of health
-The enemy drops a perfect number of arrows?

There are so many valid questions pertaining to that scenario that can only lead one to assume that it's very heavily scripted for the sake of that demo's presentation.

But that is an unofficial, unfinished plugin that hasn't been updated in four months. Would be nice to see Epic add in a complete, fully-integrated solution.
I imagine that something's in the works. At least I HOPE so.

I watched that GDC presentation at the time and found the tech interesting... But I had no idea that it was going to be implemented outside of Ubisoft productions. Not so soon, anyway.
I also had no idea it was used for TLoU2.

Seems like one of these things the industry is anxious to benefit from as soon as possible.
And I can see why. Excellent results with (comparatively) less work for the animators.
Guerrilla Games is looking into it for Horizon 2.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
In particular? All the contextual animations in that short gameplay demo looked a bit too polished compared to the current industry standards, to the point some people suspected they were canned to make the demo look good, rather than actual real time gameplay.
ND, (and other devs), have also done this before, e3 demos are well documented at this point that it's odd that people would assume otherwise. Are they planning on making a game that's vaguely as dynamic as that demo? Yes, will it be that smooth polished and choreographed even in the hands of the best players? Nah.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The animation, the reactions, the positioning, hell, likely even the timing of each arrow shot. Ask yourself what would happen if that occurred anywhere else in the room.

I like how in every TLoU II thread you come and point out things are fake.

Anyway, I am pretty sure the entire presentation was rehearshed and running a specific set of animation scripts to make the best showing for E3. That said, it's quite the leap to assume that the game would break if the player demoing didn't take the exact path through it as was shown off.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The animation, the reactions, the positioning, hell, likely even the timing of each arrow shot. Ask yourself what would happen if that occurred anywhere else in the room.

Probably a very similar thing, just like the animation at the end of the original Last of Us gameplay reveal demo, which can occur throughout the game.

15288604772106694.gif

Likewise, this contextual hitting against the door animation from the demo simply seems like a more advanced version of the following collision animation from Uncharted 4.

AerEAFy.gif

kNjf78t.gif

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I like in every TLoU II thread you come and point out things are fake.

Anyway, I am pretty sure the entire presentation was rehearshed and running a specific set of animation scripts to make the best showing for E3. That said, it's quite the leap to assume that the game would break if the player demoing didn't take the exact path through it as was shown off.
No it's not:

These are a thing that happen because of necessity, not because of nefarious means. The game isn't finished yet.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Just the fact other games use it and don't move in anyway as well is just cause for people not to get overly excited about this.

No other game does pretty much anything else as good as TLoU2 either. That hour and twenty minute video breaking it down made it very clear that you still need huge focus on animation and huge resources to do what TLoU2 is doing.

As for the legitimacy of the demo. The game really will be cutting to and from two timelines, now if it's in that way exactly or not, who can say. But it could certainly be that the task of that level was to kill the lead baddie with the pickaxe. He's the one that guts the dude. He's bigger than everyone else. He clearly stands out.

Maybe once you kill him, no matter where you are, the final killing blow is scripted and used to flashback.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like how in every TLoU II thread you come and point out things are fake.

It's not only a leap, it's most likely completely false since not only did Neil already state they played the demo countless times in countless different ways until they got the best looking outcomes for the trailer, but there were also live demonstrations of the game at E3, and nothing broke or looked off. It was fully playable.

Simply put, you don't play your demo over, and over and over again in countless different ways for the best looking outcomes, if there's only a few particular ways to play it in the first place.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Sigh. Is this gonna be another thread where Crossing Eden has like 80% of the posts and makes the thread all about himself?

Not a personal attack, but sometimes it's hard to read a thread when it's one person against the world repeating the same points at nauseam, it doesn't make for interesting conversation.

The tech looks amazing btw.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I think the OP meant to say "Ubisoft Tech".

Naughty Dog are amazing and they implemented this well but they didn't develop the tech.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Sigh. Is this gonna be another thread where Crossing Eden has like 80% of the posts and makes the thread all about himself?
Please point to where I made the thread about myself.
SbOhaBl.png

You could always contribute something besides "It looks amazing" you know.

I remember seeing that video last year. And yea, I do stand corrected. The caveat is, it is a still an assumption and not a fact until someone verified states the limitations of the E3 2018 build.
No dev in their right mind would ever state this especially not so close to the demonstration itself. At most it'd be implied, note we didn't even get an alternate look at the original game's e3 demo until months after the fact.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Just the fact other games use it and don't move in anyway as well is just cause for people not to get overly excited about this.

No other game does pretty much anything else as good as TLoU2 either.
Speak for yourself.
I'm interested in the tech itself and what it allows; I don't care if e very developer around is going to match 1:1 what Naughty Dog did (which is clearly unlikely, given their level of expertise and unlimited budget).

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Speak for yourself.
I'm interested in the tech itself and what it allows; I don't care if e very developer around is going to match 1:1 what Naughty Dog did (which is clearly unlikely, given their level of expertise and unlimited budget).
I think you misunderstood a little. I'm not saying people shouldn't get excited, but people shouldn't think it means TLoU2 quality animations for everything, or really probably anything else. They've been ahead of the game in animation for like a decade.
Isn't this very thread about how that technology works?
This tech isn't for making animations, it's for making blends between them smoother.

Basically it takes the animation playing, with the one you queue up, and finds the frames that are closest so the jump is as small as possible.

In the breakdown by the EA animator, he said this is traditionally just done with the position of the pelvis and the feet, because the more data points, the more complex the coverage you have to plan for, but it seems TLoU2 is using more points.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
No it's not:

These are a thing that happen because of necessity, not because of nefarious means. The game isn't finished yet.

We get it, you hate the fact that TLoU II has brought this kind of tech Yo everyone's attention, but is it necessary to keep derailing every MM thread into a "TLoU II has scripted and fake animations" thread? There was a thread about an interview with Neil explaining how they plan E3 demos, I'm guessing you were posting there too so if you want to keep discussing that topic, I believe that thread would be best suited for it.

On-topic: It's going to be interesting seeing more games start adopting this tech, sure, it'll take time for several studios to implement it correctly, but I'm looking forward to seeing more fascinating stuff like this. A shame it's not as feasible in fighting games though, given how canceling animations is a staple of the genre.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

No other game does pretty much anything else as good as TLoU2 either. That hour and twenty minute video breaking it down made it very clear that you still need huge focus on animation and huge resources to do what TLoU2 is doing.

As for the legitimacy of the demo. The game really will be cutting to and from two timelines, now if it's in that way exactly or not, who can say. But it could certainly be that the task of that level was to kill the lead baddie with the pickaxe. He's the one that guts the dude. He's bigger than everyone else. He clearly stands out.

Maybe once you kill him, no matter where you are, the final killing blow is scripted and used to flashback.
Few games animate as well as Naughty Dog games with or without this tech

Let's not forget that they have been on the forefront of highly contextualised animations for years, like Drake changing movement animation over different surfaces or landings, contextual fighting animations in UC4, small touches like hands on surfaces or leaping into a Jeep from different angles which change the animation, increasing the amount of breakables to a huge degree - down to stuff like sandbags leaking in UC4. There is a huge combination of tech and detail that they have been at the forefront of for years that have gone into this

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I think you misunderstood a little. I'm not saying people shouldn't get excited, but people shouldn't think it means TLoU2 quality animations for everything, or really probably anything else. They've been ahead of the game in animation for like a decade.
That's high key revisionist history when it comes to gameplay animation, their cinematics were ahead of the competition yes.

We get it, you hate the fact that TLoU II has brought this kind of tech Yo everyone's attention
No I don't. If that's what you're taking away from my posts then you're not paying attention to anything i'm saying.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Please point to where I made the thread about myself.
SbOhaBl.png

You could always contribute something besides "It looks amazing" you know.

No dev in their right mind would ever state this especially not so close to the demonstration itself. At most it'd be implied.

Yes, devs sometimes do discuss the E3 builds post (successful) game launches. Given the controversy their demo is generating, I hope that in time, they talk about this E3 build candidly.

And as for implication, I don't deny, given the history of the E3 demos in general, that all of them are feature incomplete and is shown in the best light. But your prior claims in the prior TLoU II thread, calling the animation 'fake' and claiming that a segment/segments if U4's stage demo doesn't match up with retail release, has me wary when it comes engaging you in good faith (unless it was a title from another publisher, "Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!" :P) given I am not interested in being party to spreading of misinformation, willingly or otherwise.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This tech isn't for making animations, it's for making blends between them smoother.

Basically it takes the animation playing, with the one you queue up, and finds the frames that are closest so the jump is as small as possible.

In the breakdown by the EA animator, he said this is traditionally just done with the position of the pelvis and the feet, because the more data points, the more complex the coverage you have to plan for, but it seems TLoU2 is using more points.
That is where a lot of the skepticism is coming from though, because Ellie doesn't seem to ever move back into a "default" combat stance, it all flows naturally. Which is what this tech helps achieve

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
That's high key revisionist history when it comes to gameplay animation, their cinematics were ahead of the competition yes.
No, no I really don't think it is. And it's hardly some alien opinion either. It's pretty clear from this thread that you don't think as highly of their work, and that's certainly fine, but I'm hardly alone in thinking since UC1, they have been a step ahead in animation work.

Further back and I would favour Team ICO though.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I got from this thread is that Naughty Dog does indeed consist of a mixture of wizards and dev gods.

Oct 31, 2017

Basically it takes the animation playing, with the one you queue up, and finds the frames that are closest so the jump is as small as possible..
That's a bit dismissive and inaccurate.
As the long GDC presentation explained in detail, it actually procedurally generates physics-based animations starting from limited data sets. Animations that take into consideration weight, balance, center of gravity, ecc.
And of course it generates transitions between different states.
It's conceptually rather similar to the Euphoria system, even if starting from an entirely different codebase (and apparently far less demanding).

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, devs sometimes do discuss the E3 builds post (successful) game launches. Given the controversy their demo is generating, I hope that in time, they talk about this E3 build candidly in due time
Doubting we get anything but passing mentions. I wish otherwise because it's fun to look behind the curtain.

And as for implication, I don't deny, given the history of the E3 demos in general, that all of them are feature incomplete and is shown in the best light. But your prior claims in the prior TLoU II thread, calling the animation 'fake' and claiming that a segment/segments if U4's stage demo doesn't match up with retail release, has me wary when it comes engaging you in good faith (unless it was a title from another publisher, "Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!" :P) given I am not interested in being party to spreading misinformation, willingly or otherwise.
Did you miss the part where I literally said other demos do the same and literally pointed to an e3 demo from Ubisoft. Accusing me of fanboyism in this context is an agressively stupid thing to do, in fact, to make you feel better, here's one such example from a Ubisoft demo, because APPARENTLY I can't discuss anything without being even jokingly accused of fanboyism because I'm not constantly doing a whataboutism about other studios, even better, he's holding an axe too:
43dCkGp.gif

Did you also miss the part where people claimed "But that part does happen!" and never EVER provided footage of it happening? Funny how that works...

No, no I really don't think it is. And it's hardly some alien opinion either.

It's pretty clear from this thread that you don't think as highly of their work
If you think I don't think highly of ND's work then you sincerely need to get a grip. I don't think highly of misinformation and revisionist history.

and that's certainly fine, but I'm hardly alone in thinking since UC1, they have been a step ahead in animation work.
Nah it is, I'd rather not play list wars with listing out the games that had better gameplay animation than ND's titles the year of their release. Yes they invested in good tech last gen like the contextual animations for Nathan Drake in Uncharted 3 and ofc the explicit set pieces and cinematics but it wasn't "oh it's an ND game, literally everything else looks worse." That's just not correct.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The animations in TLOU2 are pretty insane, so it's not surprising that despite it not being the pinoeer of the tech, it's being associated with it.

ND has always been pretty ahead of the game in terms animations in game and in cutscenes. Given how accurate the 99% of the UC4 demo was to the actual game, I have little doubt that aside from the end transition, TLOU2 will be like the demo as well.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
That's a bit dismissive and inaccurate.
As the long GDC presentation explained in detail, it actually procedurally generates physics-based animations starting from limited data sets. Animations that take into consideration weight, balance, center of gravity, ecc.
It's conceptually rather similar to the Euphoria system, even if starting from an entirely different codebase (and apparently far less demanding).
Well that's how the EA Senior Animator explained it in his TLoU2 gameplay breakdown video.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
This is interesting

Shame Ubisoft couldn't hang onto these dudes. We perhaps could've have seen TLoU2 quality gameplay animations a few years earlier.

Worth noting, doesn't sound like there's any bad blood here. Just things didn't work out.