Will VR be console-level mainstream by 2030?

• Yes

Votes: 273 33.2%
  • No

Votes: 550 66.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm also aware of modern social trends, with the success of Zoom/Microsoft Teams/Google Meet, and the increasing appeal of social virtual worlds which are much bigger today than ever before, as well as new audio-only social networks, and services that combine video chat with virtual worlds. I know how much engagement is going on in these spaces, I know what current services lack and how VR can fill in those very important gaps, and I know the evolutionary appeal of socializing in general that humans are all about, which is a big part of why social VR (and AR) has so much appeal - because it is the only technology that can fulfil our primate needs of being face to face.

I know my stuff.

Frankly, i've had this type of completely one sided discussions with blockchain-cultists too, and it's just impossible to have a discussion. It's a matter of my words versus their Gospel, and you can't outcompete the Bible in truth. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I swear I called buzzard an evangelist once in a nice way and I've seen them and nobody else derided with it over and over since. We should at least start throwing it out there for other threads.
Fair point. If we started (accurately) labeling a lot of the console warrior boosterism as evangelism, this forum would suddenly start looking like a Southern Baptist revival. Buzzard stands out because they're more of a lone voice, without the support of the big fanbases of the major console makers. Easier to stan a corporation than a technology I guess.

What bugs me is the total confidence of the true believer. Like I said, I tried VR and I thought it was pretty cool. I never saw myself as somebody who would buy a VR set, and one experience turned me around. Do I think it's the future of technology? I don't know. That's kind of a wild thing to be confident about. For every mobile phone there's a video landline. I lean more on the side of VR being successful over being a fad, but you don't see me on street corners declaring that the end is nigh.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Much too early. Ten years ago same people were saying by 2020.

target 2050 now we are talking

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
Much too early. Ten years ago same people were saying by 2020.

target 2050 now we are talking

I strongly believe 2030 is a very plausible range. Especially with the big techs throwing their weight behind AR/VR. In the next 2-3 years we are going to see a major push from all the tech companies with new glasses and headsets. That will tell us clearly on where we are headed.

Mar 11, 2021
Second Life is not at all the same thing. Yes, I get that it goes for the same concept, but the experience is a world apart. One is the realm of 2D displays, and the other is in VR where every aspect of the experience is transformed completely, for the better - aside from the cumbersome nature of currrent hardware. Every. Aspect. Period.

Second Life is very dated now, and was always complicated to use. Newer social platforms, which are much bigger successes, fix the pain points that it has. Second Life had a peak concurrency of around 90000 users at one time. What we know of VR is that VRChat reached 40000+ users at one time (most of which are VR users), and with the growth rate of VR, that's going to overtake Second Life's peak (whether VRChat or something else) in not too much time.

I see you're trying to pull the 'You're not informed' card right back on me, but actually, I've used Second Life in the past, and I'm aware of previous attempts like Active Worlds, which if anything, is actually closer from a technical back-end to a proposed metaverse. I'm aware of Habbo Hotel, Club Penguin, and so on.

I'm also aware of modern social trends, with the success of Zoom/Microsoft Teams/Google Meet, and the increasing appeal of social virtual worlds which are much bigger today than ever before, as well as new audio-only social networks, and services that combine video chat with virtual worlds. I know how much engagement is going on in these spaces, I know what current services lack and how VR can fill in those very important gaps, and I know the evolutionary appeal of socializing in general that humans are all about, which is a big part of why social VR (and AR) has so much appeal - because it is the only technology that can fulfil our primate needs of being face to face.

I know my stuff.
it doesn't matter how many paragraphs you write, you can't predict the future

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Frankly, i've had this type of completely one sided discussions with blockchain-cultists too, and it's just impossible to have a discussion. It's a matter of my words versus their Gospel, and you can't outcompete the Bible in truth. I guess we'll see how it goes.
This isn't about some Gospel and me always wanting to be right. If it's one-sided, it's because I know what I'm talking about.

I've already given you a laydown on how social VR isn't some pie-in-the-sky dream considering it's growing existence today across various apps and companies - not just Facebook, and I've already told you how Second Life's failure to become something for the masses is a result of it's outdated and complicated design, and how even today's more successful social virtual worlds on a screen are not in any way like social virtual worlds in VR. Social VR appeals to the innate desire to be face to face with people - something that a screen can never provide.

I also told you a brief overview of what I know about the past, current, and near-future (in the works) state of social platforms in general whether virtual world based or social media based. I can go more in-depth if you want - if you have any questions throw them my way.

Last edited:

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
Two years ago I'd say no, but the Quest 2 has me thinking yes. Wireless at a cheap price. Now just need more than FB to make those.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
It's not me predicting the future. It's me using all the data we have and extrapolating reasonable outcomes. It becomes reasonable once you've delved in deep and actually understand the industry and any relevant factors outside it. Doing this shows you which way the wind is blowing.

Where U-R is coming from - it's not from the same level of comprehension for what VR is. They have been rejecting the already-proven (in the sense that it's not a pipe dream) reality of social VR.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Fair point. If we started (accurately) labeling a lot of the console warrior boosterism as evangelism, this forum would suddenly start looking like a Southern Baptist revival. Buzzard stands out because they're more of a lone voice, without the support of the big fanbases of the major console makers. Easier to stan a corporation than a technology I guess.
I should mention there's another difference in that VR information is hard to come by. You have to dig deep and won't find it in mainstream news, and you won't often find like-minded individuals because of how few people know what VR actually is. For all the breakthroughs going on in the VR space behind the scenes, I don't believe any of them has ever been featured on a site like IGN.

Console evangelism comes from an established industry where maybe you want to push your 'side' ahead but it's already a proven industry that people understand, so there isn't much need to go on about how consoles do this, and consoles are good at that and so on.

VR is more about - at least for me - educating people when most people just don't understand it, and in the process, learning myself. I've learnt a lot over the years about the pain points of VR and what people want fixed/how it affects their perception of the technology - this lead to me further look into fixes and keep an eye on those areas, so I can relay them back to people.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
That sounds amazing let's do it.

Ok! We're agreed then. See ya in the next thread titled: "Do you think that the launch lineup for console X is the GOAT" or "Is this new game going to be the best selling one in the entire franchise?" or "This company press release says that the company is doing great!"

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I should mention there's another difference in that VR information is hard to come by. You have to dig deep and won't find it in mainstream news, and you won't often find like-minded individuals because of how few people know what VR actually is. For all the breakthroughs going on in the VR space behind the scenes, I don't believe any of them has ever been featured on a site like IGN.

Console evangelism comes from an established industry where maybe you want to push your 'side' ahead but it's already a proven industry that people understand, so there isn't much need to go on about how consoles do this, and consoles are good at that and so on.

VR is more about - at least for me - educating people when most people just don't understand it, and in the process, learning myself. I've learnt a lot over the years about the pain points of VR and what people want fixed/how it affects their perception of the technology - this lead to me further look into fixes and keep an eye on those areas, so I can relay them back to people.

Turns out the only info I needed was "Superhot VR is somehow even better than Superhot."

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017

I feel like a lot of people aren't really reading what he's saying, and are instead imagining he's saying "VR is the future, deal with it"

From a technical point of view, he's got a pretty good idea of what is currently being researched in VR, he's got a pretty good idea of technological trends.
Most or all of what he's arguing is about that kind of stuff. No one knows the future, but hearing how VR/AR are inherently anti-social, bulky, etc, and always will be, is frustratingly wrong.
And similarly hearing why something failing means something totally different will also definitely fail, is pretty dismissive.

On the note of "you can't predict the future", for some reason it's taken for granted that technology won't improve. It always comes out as "You're wrong about the future, no one can predict it except for me when I say you're wrong about it".

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
On the note of "you can't predict the future", for some reason it's taken for granted that technology won't improve. It always comes out as "You're wrong about the future, no one can predict it except for me when I say you're wrong about it".
Yeah, that part is quite annoying. I'm fine with people having an opinion that they will take to the grave with them - as long as they've actually done the research to see how accurate their take is, and can recite that research when called upon or at least something on the right trail.

The problem is that, from my experience, this is rarely the case on the internet in general. People have their rock-solid opinions, and a lot of the time, they have only assumptions backing it up, where the assumptions are based on little, none, or wrong information.

You might have seen this with the mask vs no mask debate. Wrong perceptions can skew people's thoughts, the way that the US General Surgeon tweet early in the pandemic skewed a lot of people towards thinking masks weren't needed. Likewise, a lot of the myths of VR skew people's thoughts to be negative, and because they've read/seen it a number of times out there in the open, it reinforces to them that this is the truth.

Last edited:

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Probably still a bit optimistic, but not totally ridiculous like a lot of the tech predictions I've seen. Such that I chose yes even if I'm not exactly convinced on that.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't disagree with you, the absolute feeding frenzy that would come from Facebook selling off the oculus division would ensure that VR/AR development from that house was kept alive, under a new banner, for at least a decade.

What feeding frenzy?

What company would want to buy Oculus and have to either sell the equipment at cost (Quest 2 for $1000) or sell it at a massive loss as Facebook is doing now? Especially after a company with the most money to burn on R&D and subsidizing equipment costs decided it wasn't worth the effort?

If FB cuts off Oculus that would be a massive blow to VR for the entire industry. No one will want to invest in it if FB says it's not worth it.

I'm pretty sure that would mean VR is dead in the water unless Apple comes out as strong as FB has been.

Last edited:

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I really don't see how people think it's so far fetched. Facebook is super all in on it, Sony is investing heavily, Valve is investing heavily, this statement is coming from a guy that knows the industry...

I mean, the Quest 2 may sell 15 million lifetime, is it really hard to imagine that the Quest 6 will sell between 50-100, and that there will be heavy competitors by that time? If you don't know about big tech improvements in the pipeline, you really can't talk.

Futurists, as a group, are just precious.

Momentum. Understanding where the industry is, where it's going, and where it could go. This is 9 years, not 50. Of course nobody can see the future, but when you're in a car accelerating toward a brick wall at 20 feet away, you can pretty well guess it's gonna hit it. We're all futurists, some of us are just looking at the 1000th domino rather than the one right in front of them. Of course the further away you get the cloudier it becomes, but you can bet companies like Facebook have a pretty good 10 year plan. They're already working on Quest 4.

10 years, 20 years? Hard to be exact. But it's coming. And if it doesn't? I'll still have a Quest fuckin 7.

Mar 11, 2021
I feel like a lot of people aren't really reading what he's saying, and are instead imagining he's saying "VR is the future, deal with it"

From a technical point of view, he's got a pretty good idea of what is currently being researched in VR, he's got a pretty good idea of technological trends.
Most or all of what he's arguing is about that kind of stuff. No one knows the future, but hearing how VR/AR are inherently anti-social, bulky, etc, and always will be, is frustratingly wrong.
And similarly hearing why something failing means something totally different will also definitely fail, is pretty dismissive.

If you look back at my posts in this thread, I have repeatedly stated that I don't buy that VR will blow up into a major mainstream consumer success, but that only time will tell, and that I am certainly open to it being such a success. I can't predict the future, either.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I hope so, because that will mean hardware will be better, cheaper, and way more games will be made for those platforms. As it currently stands, my PSVR has been pretty much collecting dust ever since I played Astro Bot. I just find it a huge pain in the ass with the wires, poor resolution, and accuracy that is far from ideal. All that being said, Astro Bot was still my GOTY 2018, which shows just how damn powerful the right software can be for VR in making it feel essential.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it will, It's literally the only technically exciting in gaming. The only tech pushing boundaries.

Panel gaming is boring in comparison, 4K, HDR, RT… All well and good, But the ceiling is already reached to diminishing returns.

The Only thing left, Is to be plugged straight into the matrix itself……. Which is what VR does.

Just need that ease of use comfort, And visual fidelity at the level of Alyx, For the price of the Quest. Which probably will be at the 2030 timeline.

Good to see some bullish news on it, Same gamers moaning about VR will be moaning about how 8K tv's are too expensive for next gen and can't see the difference anyway and waste of resources 🤣

Even the creator of digital currency Cordana says VR is inevitable mainstream, Because digital escapism is real and people enjoy buying digital homes and having digital marketplaces and hangouts.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Tbh I dont have the need to play VR tbh.
Unless they come up with tighter controlls, leas bulky and annoying hardware and less ressource intensive.
And even then I dont feel like I would jump on that train.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Samsung, Microsoft, Tencent...

Like, the pool of suitors is not nearly as small as you think it is.

But which of those would think it is a viable investment after Facebook, who for years has said AR/VR is the entire future of the world and their company, suddenly turns tail and says "Nope, we we wrong, it's not going anywhere, we're done"?

Personally, I know the future of everything is in AR/VR. And I know Facebook knows it as well, and they aren't going to shut down Oculus and turn away from it.

But if they did, it would be the death knell for VR.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
But which of those would think it is a viable investment after Facebook, who for years has said AR/VR is the entire future of the world and their company, suddenly turns tail and says "Nope, we we wrong, it's not going anywhere, we're done"?

Personally, I know the future of everything is in AR/VR. And I know Facebook knows it as well, and they aren't going to shut down Oculus and turn away from it.

But if they did, it would be the death knell for VR.

I mean, facebook, the company that continually eats companies, fosters 0 of them then either lets them die on the vine or consolidates them into one of their 4 successful subsidiaries.

A LOT of people would be willing to take the risk, especially companies that have already put their own R&D and time into these efforts and already have budding solutions that just need some patents, knowhow and brand recognition to be a hit.

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not me predicting the future. It's me using all the data we have and extrapolating reasonable outcomes. It becomes reasonable once you've delved in deep and actually understand the industry and any relevant factors outside it. Doing this shows you which way the wind is blowing.

Where U-R is coming from - it's not from the same level of comprehension for what VR is. They have been rejecting the already-proven (in the sense that it's not a pipe dream) reality of social VR.

To be fair, none of your "arguments" went above PR speak, and you're mentioning realities that pale in comparison to my example: Second Life in the early 2000 when every company on Earth was rushing to have its own virtual land just because if was the future. A future pushed not in marginalia on tech/business publications, but in big articles on national newspapers, just like early this year they tried to make NFTs into "a big thing" in the art world. It wasn't just that linden had a barely working infrastrutture that could be improved later: they also had a massive mindshare that VR just wishes to have, and failed to materialize even as Ready Player One was sent to evangelize.

Few of your arguments have any weight because you have barely given any, you're just trying to brush in my face the fact that you "know things" and i "know nothing", and your proof that "i know nothing" isn't that you're punching holes to what i say, but that the existence of my critique is proof that i can't criticize you, that if "i knew" i'd agree and if i don't agree then i don't know. That's the tautology logical fallacy at work, not "an argument".

And punching holes in my critique would be incredibly easy to do, considering you "know things" that obviously I don't, like linking articles from impartial sources about how VR improves person to person connection at a distance (that aren't from, I dunno, "believeinyourlordandsaVioR.com" or some really uncredited scientific journal, aren't financed by VR corps and if they are, that they have at least a decent case study and not "we gave those 10 tech students a vr headset and asked..." which is something I've found while digging for studies myself), especially all of this have to be compared to classical well known technologies like zoom. If you're right it's not hard to have real data, real arguments rather than trust me i'm deep into this.

And sure I know vr chat is a thing, and I know facebook is pushing a ton of money into making social VR a thing (because, you know, it's NOT a thing right now, at least not for the real consumer they're eyeing, which is the not-tech bros audience), and I'm 100% sure facial recognition is going to dramatically improve person-to-person interaction in games and social applications within the tiny vr tech enthusiast bubble. But that this will turn into the mainstream embracing VR as surrogate social "in presence" communication tool, in fact one that can and will make simple videocalls "obsolete" or less preferable despite the ubiquity of the hardware to run them and their simplicity, or that will fill the psychological role of going to a unique gathering that right now you can simply do within Fortnite in your cellphone... that's an extraordinary claim that calls for extraordinary evidence.

Right now, VR is failing to even convince gamers to get into it, and the argument "a better Superhot" -citing a post on this thread- is much more convincing as far as I'm concerned, and blatantly true to anybody who ever tried a headset.

Last edited:

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
And sure I know vr chat is a thing, and I know facebook is pushing a ton of money into making social VR a thing (because, you know, it's NOT a thing right now, at least not for the real consumer they're eyeing, which is the not-tech bros audience), and I'm 100% sure facial recognition is going to dramatically improve person-to-person interaction in games and social applications within the tiny vr tech enthusiast bubble. But that this will turn into the mainstream embracing VR as surrogate social "in presence" communication tool, in fact one that can and will make simple videocalls "obsolete" or less preferable despite the ubiquity of the hardware to run them and their simplicity, or that will fill the psychological role of going to a unique gathering that right now you can simply do within Fortnite in your cellphone... that's an extraordinary claim that calls for extraordinary evidence.

Right now, VR is failing to even convince gamers to get into it, and the argument "a better Superhot" -citing a post on this thread- is much more convincing as far as I'm concerned, and blatantly true to anybody who ever tried a headset.
You should get out of the pre-Quest mindset of VR being an enthusiast technology. It's always been mainstream appealing at its core. That "even gamers aren't getting into it" is just highlighting VR's cart/horse problem, where not enough core VR consumers are engaging with software to support the AAA games they complain about the lack of. Quest is the first headset to sidestep the "hardcore gamer" prerequisite, and you can see just by the popularity of certain titles, even on PCVR, that the more arcadey, more casual software out there is doing well, despite hardcore gamer bros claiming that VR's been going nowhere (because they have tunnelvision that only puts a lens on AAA games, brah).

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
To be fair, none of your "arguments" went above PR speak, and you're mentioning realities that pale in comparison to my example: Second Life in the early 2000 when every company on Earth was rushing to have its own virtual land just because if was the future. A future pushed not in marginalia on tech/business publications, but in big articles on national newspapers, just like early this year they tried to make NFTs into "a big thing" in the art world. It wasn't just that linden had a barely working infrastrutture that could be improved later: they also had a massive mindshare that VR just wishes to have, and failed to materialize even as Ready Player One was sent to evangelize.
What's more important? Hype or sustained user growth? I'd pick the latter, and while a social VR application has yet to exceed Second Life's peak, there is a clear trajectory that it will - and it took upwards of 5 years for Second Life itself to peak.

Just because there isn't a goldrush in making social VR applications doesn't mean that it's a pie in the sky dream. We're past the peak of inflated expectations for VR, so it has gone through it's own initial hype phase. We've been here before for prior computing platforms. PCs for example, were hyped up greatly in the late 70s and early 80s, but grew slowly, causing a number of companies to back away a bit. Therefore, if VR has 'failed' as you say, to materialize, so too did PCs back then.

VR and prior computing platforms failed to reach the impossible expectations set for it because that's how analysts and mainstream media do things - they overestimate in the short-term. What VR and PCs back then experienced is normal growth, and we're roughly on track.

Few of your arguments have any weight because you have barely given any, you're just trying to brush in my face the fact that you "know things" and i "know nothing", and your proof that "i know nothing" isn't that you're punching holes to what i say, but that the existence of my critique is proof that i can't criticize you, that if "i knew" i'd agree and if i don't agree then i don't know. That's the tautology logical fallacy at work, not "an argument".
I have given you statistics and facts for the industry. If you really want me to provide you links and sources to specific things other than what I will present in this thread, then I'll do so. What arguments are you not agreeing with that you want me to source? Because we disagree on such fundamental points that I can source, this very much means that I know for a fact that you are not in the know when it comes to VR. Will there be disagreements when we have the same information on the table? Maybe, but at that point you at least know all the facts, which isn't the case now.

linking articles from impartial sources about how VR improves person to person connection at a distance (that aren't from, I dunno, "believeinyourlordandsaVioR.com" or some really uncredited scientific journal, aren't financed by VR corps and if they are, that they have at least a decent case study and not "we gave those 10 tech students a vr headset and asked..." which is something I've found while digging for studies myself), especially all of this have to be compared to classical well known technologies like zoom. If you're right it's not hard to have real data, real arguments rather than trust me i'm deep into this.
Are you disagreeing with the logical conclusion that VR improves person to person connection at a distance? This isn't rocket science; it's common sense. If you know that VR makes you feel like you are somewhere else, or at least gives a kind of feeling like that, and if you know what social VR feels like, you also know it accomplishes a lot of unique social benefits.

To argue otherwise is ignoring plain facts. That's not to say it is the end-all-be-all of remote communication today, because it currently clearly lacks facial expressions and real human fidelity unlike video calls, but what we have today objectively improves on many aspects of remote communication.

If you're suggesting that this only affects the 'tiny vr tech enthusiast bubble' and that's where this post's implied skepticism of the benefits come from, well sure, it only benefits those who use it, but I don't see what you gain from saying that? We both agree that VR is niche today.

Also, I have absolutely presented the right sources in this thread. Nothing is incomplete - and if anything, one of the sources I provided is a mega collection of other sources. Whenever I posted a source in this thread, it gave the full context of what I was relating it to. Any links to VR sites like RoadToVR or UploadVR cite the original source, making them free of bias so long as you use that original source.

But that this will turn into the mainstream embracing VR as surrogate social "in presence" communication tool, in fact one that can and will make simple videocalls "obsolete" or less preferable despite the ubiquity of the hardware to run them and their simplicity, or that will fill the psychological role of going to a unique gathering that right now you can simply do within Fortnite in your cellphone... that's an extraordinary claim that calls for extraordinary evidence.
The ubiquity of the hardware running video calls was a small niche for a good while too, but it certainly got over that hump. More to the point, if you want extraordinary evidence, I will provide you extraordinary insight - because I don't claim to know the literal future, just which way the wind is blowing, and what current and past mindsets are like.

I showed a video earlier in the thread of a near-photorealistic avatar head with facial expressions. Here's a full body version of that (currently not real-time):

This is very convincing already as a video, but the nature of VR will make it moreso in a headset. This level of fidelity would make it akin to a video call. Traditional video calls start to really break apart with more than a few people, whereas VR doesn't. This makes VR a much better (and not for novelty sake, but to actually understand/read cues more accurately) solution to group video calls, aside from the headset requirement which I'll get into later.

You can play around with how video calls work, by having for example a 2D auditorium where everyone's avatars show up in seats instead of a grid layout. That can help make it easier to ground people in a certain spot, but you're still seeing small camera feeds when you have a large group in there.

You can also add spatial audio, but the reception is mixed with trials of High Fidelity's implementation - some say it feels better, and some say it feels eerie. Why? Well, you're getting cues that don't quite match up with how our ears work in real life; VR doesn't have this issue. It works as expected.

You can have 2D game environments or interactive web pages where you have a basic avatar (could even be a simple circle you drag around) and camera feeds fade in/out as you get close to other avatars, allowing for easy breakout groups and volume control. The advantage here is that it's pretty easy for non-gamers to get used to, but the 2D world becomes largely unimportant and is only a means to get from A to B.

You can have 3D game environments where you stick a video call onto a 3D avatar's head, but there will always be a large mismatch with the avatar and the camera feed, and your agency is very limited compared to VR since you don't have body language that affects the virtual world.

Those are all the ways video calls are experimenting. What is missing in all these examples? The world, the body language, and a sense of presence. No improvements can fix these for video calls (although you can improve body language a bit using cameras like Facebook's Portal camera combined with synthesizing eye contact by altering the stream contents to make a users eyes always gaze at the screen).

A video call is mostly useful for connecting with a very small group of people where the main goal is to talk and stare at each other. You can do other activities with video calls of course, but it is quite limiting when you are competing for screen real estate.

VR is as much of an activity space as it is a sit-and-chat tool. I've already listed tons of activities from VRChat in a past post so I won't go into those.

You mention the phycological role of gatherings and present the idea that people could be just fine with Fortnite on a phone - but they aren't. We have the data to back this up. We get an oxytocin release when we communicate in person, so is this effect recreated somewhat in VR? Well, you need to meet the same or at least similar communication satisfaction.

As shown from the results of this paper, you can see that people had glimpses of this in-person effect or that they could tell it was a real person even beyond an avatar. I'd also wager that it's better today with how avatar software has improved.

They also found that there were levels of social engagement that go beyond real life face to face communication, to get rid of unsatisfactory parts of communicating in real life, and further improve some of the good aspects. I know where they're coming from, as my own experience with VR is that it at times can be a more expressive reality than actual reality.

www.researchgate.net

(PDF) Investigating Social Presence and Communication with Embodied Avatars in Room-Scale Virtual Reality

PDF | Room-scale virtual reality (VR) holds great potential as a medium for communication and collaboration in remote and same-time, same-place... | Find, read and cite all the research you need on ResearchGate

Look into Stanford's Virtual Human Intereaction Lab as well as Mel Slater's work to see more in this area.

I would advise you to go into social VR yourself, and ask around, and maybe you'll even experience it yourself. Ask people if VR - and only VR - socialization feels like you are face to face with another person. With the caveat that it's not exactly the same of course, but provides similar benefits. I would easily expect the majority to agree here, and we're still so, so early on it how good social VR feels - before eye/face/hand tracking, personalized HRTFs, spatialized audio, and even just the visual presentation of the headset.

Humans evolved to bond socially face to face over many tens of thousands of years, so it shouldn't come as a shock that people are not satisfied with 2D screen interactions as a substitute for real life. People like them in moderation, and people flocked to video calls in the pandemic because let's be honest, it was the easiest and most well known immersive solution; 99.9% of the people doing video calls have never even heard of social VR or are aware that it exists, so they won't go looking for it. They therefore see video calls as the best option and may like it in moderation, but prolonged use can cause zoom fatigue because the brain is processing extra information that can't be conveyed properly on a 2D screen.

I would also like to present a thought experiment. Imagine a social activity in Fortnite, like the Travis Scott concert, played on your phone. Do you think people would say this is comparable to a real concert? It's very obvious that the answer would be a majority no, because it cannot provide a similar experience - I mean you're not even dancing for one.

Do the same for VR and it will be a different result, but admittedly there are a number of important shortcomings - that is for today anyway - those will be solved as VR advances.

VR is a much more versatile platform for communication that presents more social engagement which is a social boon and a productivity boon (as creativity often sparks in the spontaneous conversations of office culture), and given the craze over online personas and filters, it presents by far the most expressive way to represent yourself as you can become any form you want to the point of rewiring the very neurons in your brain - that's how convincing it can be.

The drawbacks of VR then are basically it's inconvenience, bulk, and side effects like eye strain/headaches/sickness. The good news is that we have a pathway to solve each of these in turn.

I showed the sunglasses VR display system a few pages back, but here's information on dealing with eye strain/headaches/sickness, by solving the vergence accommodation conflict - which would in fact make it healthier on the eyes than any 2D screen.

A primer on the conflict: https://www.wired.com/2015/08/obscure-neuroscience-problem-thats-plaguing-vr/

A good talk showcasing solutions, some of which have been demonstrated: https://uploadvr.com/douglas-lanman-facebook-imaging/

Again with the failing. It's doing as expected from industry insiders back when headsets were launching. If people have impossible standards in the first place, then those expectations are not going to be met.

www.roadtovr.com

What VR Headset Makers (not analysts) Have Actually Said About Sales Expectations

If you’re at all involved in the VR space, you likely recently saw a flurry of downtrodden headlines describing “slow,” and “modest,” holiday VR headset sales, with some even calling VR “the biggest loser this holiday.” The impetus of those headlines was a major revision of research firm...

Last edited: