• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
universonintendo.com

RUMOR | Próximo hardware da Nintendo terá retrocompatibilidade física e digital com jogos do Switch

Nintendo pode permitir que jogos sejam melhorados em seu novo sistema

"One of the topics of greatest doubt among current Nintendo consumers and even enthusiasts curious about their next hardware is the question of compatibility with current Nintendo Switch games on this new console.

Awaited as a potential 2024 release by Nintendo, the next system could come with the encouraging news that it will feature this physical (in cartridges) and digital backward compatibility not only available to players and producers — but would also allow developers to study improvements for the current titles in the Nintendo Switch library.

This information was shared by PH Brazil during the most recent episode of the podcast for the Pokémon franchise as traditionally happens every year.

PH Brazil is currently a content creator and also a games journalist who has already brought a lot of information about Nintendo's or partners' movements in advance and with precision in the past. Taking its history into account, there is a high chance that this information will become fact when the console is announced.

Nintendo does not comment on rumors and there is no announcement regarding the new hardware so far.

Stay tuned for more news!"

Enhanced TOTK...I need.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Physical BC will be so welcome. I've remained about 99% physical with my switch games and it'll be great to carryover the 50 or so carts I have into this next generation.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Physical BC will be so welcome. I've remained about 99% physical with my switch games and it'll be great to carryover the 50 or so carts I have into this next generation.
It's been so bizarre when Nintendo, the company who has historically been best with BC, who's already said they wanted to use their new Nintendo account to "preserve your purchases going forward", had people doubting if they'd offer BC on the successor to the third best selling game console of all time.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Well, that's awesome. Switch 1 games being BC will keep me entertained on Switch 2, 1st year release, which most likely will have a few heavy hitters

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
LET'S GOOOOOOOOOO! Fuck I hope this is true! Id replay Tears of the Kingdom and actually go back and beat She of Calamity if this is true!

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
If that's true then BotW/TotK about ot get another few Years of multi-million sales for sure as they won't be obsoleted until the next game which is probably 2-3 years away at least.

Xeno games gonna have a bigger pop-in distance. For sure.

Maybe something like 120hz support for the likes of metroid dread/Mario Kart 8 deluxe

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
My hot take is that I don't really know why there was any doubt about this. After the N64, Nintendo's always been good about backwards compatibility: Wii was backwards compatible with GCN, Wii U was backwards compatible with Wii, GBA was backwards compatible with GB/GBC games, DS was backwards compatible with GBA games, and 3DS was backwards compatible with DS and even DSi games. The only real exception thus far has been the Switch itself, which makes sense because it's a totally different beast from the 3DS and Wii U. I suppose Switch 1 games getting enhanced sounds neat.

One thing that has sucked is Virtual Console constantly being rebooted every platform. Hopefully everything on NSO right now is available day 1 on Switch 2.

Last edited:

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Hoping this is exactly as rumoured. I believe in BC for sure, but wasn't sure how it would be implemented - Thought there might be a possibility for digital only. If it includes physical I am super curious about the implementation. Are they including Switch 1 architecture or have they found a software solution?

Still also curious to see if Switch 2 carts will physically differ from Switch 1 carts, like the small notch we saw on 3DS games compared to DS ones.

Promising news about the ability for devs to enhance Switch 1 titles though, that's the real megaton here!

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Anyone able to check this podcast to know what was actually said? The article has an awful lot of "coulds" which isn't news.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This was the most likely scenario but encouraging to hear. The source reputable though?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
OIP.zO266ZJJZE28t5txIGrFDgAAAA

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
1) It was always very, very clearly going to be BC. Nintendo has made it extraordinarily clear since literal day 1 that the current gen Switch would be the foundation of what would come next, and every decision they've made regarding architecture, infrastructure, and services/accounts has clearly kept that goal in mind.

2) Anyone who ever thought digital BC but not physical or vice versa was even a thing that was plausible literally just never had any idea what they were talking about, lol.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I was going to saw "quick, everyone be surprised" but the amount of people online who seem to think that this was never going to happen is way too high even when history shows it was always meant to be in

Oct 25, 2017
The reason I've been banking some switch games, betting big they'll run nicely on a Switch 2. Don't break my heart Ninty. I'm about 70/30 physical-digital on Switch (mostly due to it being a HUGE PAIN to deal with three switches in the household who all wanna play games), which has been making me super nervous.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Why do I feel like we're going to have to pay for these enhancements lol

I mean I hope not but if anyone would do it would be Nintendo

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some of Nintendo's recent releases had me thinking they intended to fix the obvious tech issues with the next console, Tears of the Kingdom being the obvious example. I guess I'm kinda happy that it will be possible. I expect them to make it a crappy process though. Like, they will either charge for the upgrades or they'll be too slow with the next gen patches or they simply won't patch some games that could use a performance boost.

Apr 20, 2022
Damn Switch sales are going to continue going strong if they really are going to be enhanced in Switch 2. TOTK and BOTW at 60hz 1080p-4k is the dream

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
The Switch 2 is going to be the best selling console ever, mark my word

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been so bizarre when Nintendo, the company who has historically been best with BC, who's already said they wanted to use their new Nintendo account to "preserve your purchases going forward", had people doubting if they'd offer BC on the successor to the third best selling game console of all time.
Nintendo has happily allowed my purchased Virtual Console library from the Wii/Wii U days to rot. Recent history they have been disappointing with BC.