• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
For the record, NateDrake and John Linnenman from Digital Foundry had mentioned that BC is likely to be a bit more vanilla than this write-up suggests, in that it's not going to natively do anything for games that go past their current bounds, so games that are virtually flawless already like Smash or Super Mario Bros. Wonder aren't going to go past 1080p60 without some kind of update to go past those numbers. For games with a more checkered approach to resolution and/or framerate, however, the extra power on the new system can be put to use to put those on the upper boundaries more frequently and consistently, so games like Bayonetta 3 or Xenoblade 2 would be running and looking a lot better by default without needing to be updated by the developer.

They also suggested that any update to games to get them past those bounds are being encouraged to be worked on as new releases by Nintendo themselves, but there were no solid details about the hows and wheres of that because I don't think they genuinely knew what the path forward was for those, other than mentioning that they really hope that the eShop gets a huge overhaul to make visibility on what's Switch 1 or Switch 2 easy to understand as the current eShop design is pretty lacking for extended view options. I have to imagine that Nintendo will offer both bespoke SKUs as well as upgrade paths for existing owners, as they're not strangers to that, but I do think that regardless, something like that 4K60 version of BOTW is not going to be a simple and free update just for sticking your game card into your new system.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This always seemed like it was very obviously going to be there to me based on their history and their past comments, hell, really the ONLY thing they've said about future consoles is specifically about how having all previous purchases on the same account will help with console transitions. That's basically just saying BC will be there without directly saying it as it makes no sense in any other context.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
Dev being responsible for possible enhancements(Which I guess was a given) means very few Switch 1 titles will see improvement I feel.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Back compat being in the Switch 2 seems obvious since a long time. All the rumors and comments from the leadership point to that.

Question is if it will be basic back compat that just runs the games in the original form, or if it enhances them in any way. Personally I'm just happy that it is present at all, but obviously wouldn't say no to enhancements.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The answer will be either "because Nintendo!" or "of course they want you to rebuy everything again!" (a money-making ploy so obvious that Nintendo, MS, and Sony all forgot it several times and the entire PC and mobile markets missed it entirely).
It's particularly dumb because in the past several generations the only system without backwards compatability from them has been the Switch, and there are very obvious reasons why making it backwards compatible with the Wii U or 3DS would have been unfeasible. Other than that the portables have always been backwards compatible, and the consoles have been backwards compatible since the Wii

Oct 25, 2017
Why in the world would they not support physical BC? Are you expecting them to use UMDs instead of cartridges? Have you forgotten how the 3DS handled multiple types of cartridges?
Nintendo is paranoid enough to change it to avoid this

www.gearrice.com

MIG-Switch, the cartridge that hacks any Switch without voiding the warranty - Gearrice

A few days ago we were talking about the existence of a cartridge that allowed run backups on a Nintendo Switch OLED. Well, the product is called MIG

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
It always seemed obvious to me. I think the bigger question was if they received enhancements or performed better.

www.gearrice.com

MIG-Switch, the cartridge that hacks any Switch without voiding the warranty - Gearrice

A few days ago we were talking about the existence of a cartridge that allowed run backups on a Nintendo Switch OLED. Well, the product is called MIG
They clearly didn't give a crap about the R4 when making the 3DS, which was far, far, far, far, far more prevalent than the MIG-Switch will ever be.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
The answer will be either "because Nintendo!" or "of course they want you to rebuy everything again!" (a money-making ploy so obvious that Nintendo, MS, and Sony all forgot it several times and the entire PC and mobile markets missed it entirely).
Its kind of funny how much people have logic go over their heads when using both of those excuses, especially the latter when the topic of their legacy content as they think that Nintendo would drip feed the old games all over again, people it's a subscription, by design you have to "rebuy" everything no matter what so there is no point in resetting it

Also the "because Nintendo" excuse would be somewhat valid if not for the fact that 1) Their recent history shows they always add BC (the only exception is the Switch and that is because it was meant to be a clean slate for the foundation of later), people legit try to use the fact that their first consoles did not have BC as a very dumb counterargument

and 2) Ever since the NX was a thing that they claim they would keep the information going forwards, they even had slides for that
That's ok.

I'm not sure why people get so mad when people doubt this either.
Is less being mad and more annoyed about how despite very single news or rumour about it showing it will have BC people will just dismiss it with "lol nintendo" every single time

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
My hot take is that I don't really know why there was any doubt about this. After the N64, Nintendo's always been good about backwards compatibility: Wii was backwards compatible with GCN, Wii U backwards compatible with Wii, GBA was backwards compatible with GB/GBC games, DS was backwards compatible with GBA games, and 3DS was backwards compatible with DS and even DSi games. The only real exception thus far has been the Switch itself, which makes sense because it's a totally different beast from the 3DS and Wii U. I suppose Switch 1 games getting enhanced sounds neat.

One thing that has sucked is Virtual Console constantly being rebooted every platform. Hopefully everything on NSO right now is available day 1 on Switch 2.
If there's BC, then there's the existing NSO apps. Otherwise you're pondering them letting you play all your Switch software except the ones they ask you to pay a subscription for. It wouldn't make any sense. People would have to hold onto their old Switch models just for them.

Switch BC with the previous gen is a weird one. It's not so much people should've expected the old games to work, but they showed on multiple occasions to be able to access your old purchase data and offer you free or discounted versions of games you've previously purchased. But they offered nothing. And I'm not sure I am all that mad about it because then you kind of fuck over the people that purchased physically. So I just kinda throw my hands up.

1) It was always very, very clearly going to be BC. Nintendo has made it extraordinarily clear since literal day 1 that the current gen Switch would be the foundation of what would come next, and every decision they've made regarding architecture, infrastructure, and services/accounts has clearly kept that goal in mind.

2) Anyone who ever thought digital BC but not physical or vice versa was even a thing that was plausible literally just never had any idea what they were talking about, lol.
1 - agree completely

2 - if you think about it, they've done this before. DSi and 3DS can play GBA games and Wii U can play GameCube games, but they are inaccessible because the hardware required is missing. I don't think they would do this with the immediate successor to the Switch. I do think they will do this eventually, or maybe make it an added piece of hardware. That depends on if they continue selling carts and whatever is reading current carts can fit the old ones too.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
For the record, NateDrake and John Linnenman from Digital Foundry had mentioned that BC is likely to be a bit more vanilla than this write-up suggests, in that it's not going to natively do anything for games that go past their current bounds, so games that are virtually flawless already like Smash or Super Mario Bros. Wonder aren't going to go past 1080p60 without some kind of update to go past those numbers. For games with a more checkered approach to resolution and/or framerate, however, the extra power on the new system can be put to use to put those on the upper boundaries more frequently and consistently, so games like Bayonetta 3 or Xenoblade 2 would be running and looking a lot better by default without needing to be updated by the developer.

They also suggested that any update to games to get them past those bounds are being encouraged to be worked on as new releases by Nintendo themselves, but there were no solid details about the hows and wheres of that because I don't think they genuinely knew what the path forward was for those, other than mentioning that they really hope that the eShop gets a huge overhaul to make visibility on what's Switch 1 or Switch 2 easy to understand as the current eShop design is pretty lacking for extended view options. I have to imagine that Nintendo will offer both bespoke SKUs as well as upgrade paths for existing owners, as they're not strangers to that, but I do think that regardless, something like that 4K60 version of BOTW is not going to be a simple and free update just for sticking your game card into your new system.
Mate, the person didn't imply magic updates that somehow raise the resolution or framerate cap, what John and Nate talked about is literally what the article in the OP is saying too.

Ablacious

Dec 23, 2018
I thought backward compatibility was a technical issue with how textures are done. I guess they solved it a seamless, "Nintendo"-like enough way?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

www.gearrice.com

You are assuming both that Nintendo is paranoid about some shitty piracy device that is pretty terrible at doing its only purpose and that they do not possess the ability to identify and stop people from using it. And obviously the situation with the 3DS proves that they do not care about these devices

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Cool but not something I'll probably use. Ready to move on from anything switch tbh

Mate, the person didn't imply magic updates that somehow raise the resolution or framerate cap, what John and Nate talked about is literally what the article in the OP is saying too.
I didn't imply they mentioned anything about those updates at all? Folks were talking about this meaning larger improvements and that's just a clearer explanation for what's happening by default, since this piece doesn't really mention anything about the extent of what's happening if you download or pop your game card in the new system. I can't imagine why that deserved any hostility at all.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico

www.gearrice.com

The worst this can cause is automatic bans going rampant due to people using pirated games and playing them connected to the internet, which will make people less likely to buy it... at least the casuals.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
OIP.zO266ZJJZE28t5txIGrFDgAAAA
Why would you doubt this, Nintendo has the best track record when it comes to backwards compatibility of the Big 3. If anything, the Switch 2 having backwards compatibility with Switch 1 games was a pretty safe assumption.

Gambit61

Oct 26, 2017
Hope this means we can eventually patch in higher res/60fps in BC titles with homebrew. Ended up dropping several games because they ran so bad on Switch. Yeah there's emulators but they usually have bad framepacing/stutter which also bothers me lol.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Hoping this is true.

Even if not enhanced I'll gladly welcome it. Built a MASSIVE switch library. :)

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
Hopefully Nintendo does it for all of its ever green first party titles, if nothing else, to encourage more software sales.That 1.2B software Switch's sales could always go up.
Sony only did it for a select few, i expect Nintendo will only do it very selectively as well, have no doubt they will sell new versions of some games too (like a 4k raytraced zelda collection etc…)

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't imply they mentioned anything about those updates at all? Folks were talking about this meaning larger improvements and that's just a clearer explanation for what's happening by default, since this piece doesn't really mention anything about the extent of what's happening if you download or pop your game card in the new system. I can't imagine why that deserved any hostility at all.
You said it's be "more vanilla than this write up," then proceded to explain the exact thing in the OP as the vanilla.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
For the record, NateDrake and John Linnenman from Digital Foundry had mentioned that BC is likely to be a bit more vanilla than this write-up suggests, in that it's not going to natively do anything for games that go past their current bounds […]

They didn't suggest this. The speculated. Unless Nate wants to say otherwise it's just that - speculation, ie. not "more likely", just a guess.