• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
0.2 is good fun and helps a lot going into KH3, but i'm glad i didn't start KH3 with 0.2. going a few hours without the main cast would have sucked, not as bad as the start of KH2 but it would have been a bad start to the game. for some people it would have been a day or 2 before they could have gotten to play as sora in KH3. that's not what you want.

That's fine. I wouldn't have even made it a whole prologue. I'd have interspliced it in place of the pointless riku shit. make the progression of it the culmination of "What happened to Aqua? Oh, she fell to darkness."

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So are we convinced that Sora ended up in TWEWY? I never played it, and am wondering if I should between now and the next KH game in 2042.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That's fine. I wouldn't have even made it a whole prologue. I'd have interspliced it in place of the pointless riku shit. make the progression of it the culmination of "What happened to Aqua? Oh, she fell to darkness."
Breaking up the flow with Aqua gameplay sequences like that when there's already a ton of story that needed covering outside of her fate would have just wrecked the pace of the game.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They probably put the most effort in At World's End cutscene and Let it Go.

Yeah, it's impressive work but, it's not as interesting as the original stuff they do IMO. In the end they're just showing the same sequences but in another "engine" so it doesn't do much for me. Props for the effort there though. Insane work.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
But running through it again with all the puzzles and story bosses already dead? What's the point?

Postgame content should be something like the Cavern of Remembrance.
You can do whatever the fuck you like with a postgame return world. You could easily insert like a bunch of super bosses in the place where the old bosses were. I don't know why it's one or the other with you.

Especially when your counter is "Just do a generic room"

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breaking up the flow with Aqua gameplay sequences that when there's already a ton of story that needed covering outside of her fate would have just wrecked the pace of the game.

The pace is still awful in the game, they could've perfectly rescued Aqua or show more inbetween the 4 first worlds, instead of shoving all the story to the last 2-3 hours. Don't get me wrong, i loved the finale, but it really crammed a lot of stuff that could've been evenly divided so it didn't end up like: here's disney stuff, now here's original stuff, end.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Breaking up the flow with Aqua gameplay sequences like that when there's already a ton of story that needed covering outside of her fate would have just wrecked the pace of the game.

The game's pacing is a fucking wreck already. You say this like those LONG FUCKING CUTSCENES between every disney world weren't pace killers. AND STILL HAD TO BACKLOAD THE FUCK OUT OF THIS GAME

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So why are there no FF representatives? Is Nomura just salty about FF now? That why he did the whole verum Rex thing?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's impressive work but, it's not as interesting as the original stuff they do IMO. In the end they're just showing the same sequences but in another "engine" so it doesn't do much for me. Props for the effort there though. Insane work.
Yeah I understand what you mean but I still found At World's End cutscene really impressive especially with Sora in it lol.
I mean KH3 had A LOT of CG cutscenes from Visuals Works compared to previous KH games so I understand a bit of drop in quality in certain places. I honestly don't have any problem with the Opening CG (even the clock tower scene).
The only part of the cutscene I felt was disappointing was the first part of the ending (the one in the keyblade graveyard)

Considering how much of CG cutscenes this game had, I am pretty happy with overall quality.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So why are there no FF representatives? Is Nomura just salty about FF now? That why he did the whole verum Rex thing?

He just didn't think it would've helped to put a focus on them. The cast is already way too big as it is.

It doesn't help that you never go to Radiant Garden in person this time. They still should've been shown in the ending, though. At least Leon.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Do they ever even acknowledge the demon tower giving Riku a haircut at the start? I swear that was supposed to be some hint towards something, maybe joining up with his repliku?

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
If they add another super boss in the game I think it should be Yozora in a shibuya setting. Kind of like how the lingering will fight also introduced a sneak peak of the keyblade graveyard.

I'm also happy we didn't have to play as aqua or anyone else for bigger portions of the game in between worlds. One playable character is enough and don't mess with the pacing in the gameplay too. At least cut-scenes aren't mandatory to watch in later playthroughs.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
There's a ton of stuff to nitpick about KH3.

- Poor pacing where 80% of the story is in the last 20% of the game ( all KH games are like this, but KH3 is worse due to the lack of a middle arc )
- Wasted narrative beats with Org13 even during the Disney segments ( we knew that the New 7 Princesses of Lights weren't gonna have a role in this, but I guess the game needed to justify why Org13 were messing around in new worlds instead of preparing for KBW )
- Even more wasted narrative beats used to set-up sequel ( The scenes where Axel/Ansem/etc were talking about Mystery Girl/Box were not insignificant at all )
- Kairi's fridging
- Everyone's else's meh presence and ownership of presence within the story of KH3 ( Let's be real, other than Sora, Eraqus, Terra, Replika Riku and Roxas ( and Namine even?) , I'd go so far to say that everyone didn't necessarily have a satisfying moment of their own )

And then there's the usual bad writing, dialogues, plodding pace of how people speak, how some things are not clear in their purpose ( details on how power of waking works, impact towards Sora, etc etc ), which again, is typical for all KH games.

... BUT.

In terms of an overall experience? Other than Kairi ( whom even then I'm not all that salty about because I still loved her romantic moments with Sora and the part where she saved him during the Final World/Waking the Dead phase ), I was sufficiently satisfied enough with how everything turned out. The friends who suffered for so long reunited, the bad guys were defeated and by and large every main moment was earned, even if most of the moments were only 7 or 8 out of 10 in terms of effectiveness due to how rushed some moments were or didn't have the same level of potential impact had ( Aqua been playable, Riku having a explorable world to himself, Kairi and Sora were the ones in FW, etc etc )

Loved loved loved KH3 so much and I've never been more excited for the next KH game. ( yes, I'm more excited for KH4 than I am for KH3 )

My short summary of KH3 is this: "It's not everything it could've been and should've been, but it's everything it needed to be. And that is all it needs."

I don't know about "That's all it needs", but aside from that I find this to be a rather acute review of my experience with the game. It has some baffling flaws, and you didn't even bring up disappointments I had with the combat yet, but overall I still want more (fully fledged, console experience) Kingdom Hearts. In the end, I guess that's what matters? I don't know if that's sorta what you meant with the aforementioned bit there. I'm still holding hope that the series can come out with a new title that I can embrace moreso without so many swift doubts lingering by the end credits (and throughout the post-game).

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all, Mickey Mouse cast fucking Ultima.

And it got COUNTERED.

I was so fucking sad. I was waiting for badass Mickey to make his return from KH2 so much and the game neutered the hell out of him.

He got his moment 1 v 3'ing. Marluxia, Larxene and Luxord, but it wasn't enough! It's never enough!

Edit: Catching up on the thread: Congrats on making the list of names in the game! You're a part of history now~

Last edited:

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
That's not even a lose in a cutscene in a traditional sense like the cutscene itself shows that she won that battle. It's not like a scene where after you win a boss fight the cutscene shows you straight up loss the fight.
Sure, but it completely sucks the air out of that moment. Oh hey, Aqua won. Wait no, she needs to be rescued again.

For as important a character as she is, she never had any opportunity to be anything more than a plot device. It's an issue with a lot of characters but even Yen Sid, the worst wizard known to man, had his moment of badassery.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I don't know about "That's all it needs", but aside from that I find this to be a rather acute review of my experience with the game. It has some baffling flaws, and you didn't even bring up disappointments I had with the combat yet, but overall I still want more (fully fledged, console experience) Kingdom Hearts. In the end, I guess that's what matters? I don't know if that's sorta what you meant with the aforementioned bit there. I'm still holding hope that the series can come out with a new title that I can embrace moreso without so many swift doubts lingering by the end credits (and throughout the post-game).

I could go on for wayyy longer on combat , level and world design. My focus was on the narrative weaknesses of the non-Disney plot aspects specifically.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The pace is still awful in the game, they could've perfectly rescued Aqua or show more inbetween the 4 first worlds, instead of shoving all the story to the last 2-3 hours. Don't get me wrong, i loved the finale, but it really crammed a lot of stuff that could've been evenly divided so it didn't end up like: here's disney stuff, now here's original stuff, end.
The pacing could have been better in some respects, but I actually liked that the Disney worlds were basically done when the game moved on to the core story's closure in the final hours.

The game's pacing is a fucking wreck already. You say this like those LONG FUCKING CUTSCENES between every disney world weren't pace killers. AND STILL HAD TO BACKLOAD THE FUCK OUT OF THIS GAME
I had no problem with the length of the cutscenes. I was invested in the characters and there were a lot of cool moments in them.

And why do I read every one of your posts like you're shouting all of the time?

No. Like PlanetSmasher said, the cast was already big enough and there was enough going on that their inclusion wasn't necessary. The cast of the game has changed a lot since KH1 when the number of KH OCs was tiny and the FF characters were more necessary to populate the worlds and tell the story. Come KH4, I wouldn't be surprised to see FF characters (or other characters like the TWEWY cast) make a return.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
The pacing could have been better in some respects, but I actually liked that the Disney worlds were basically done when the game moved on to the core story's closure in the final hours.

I had no problem with the length of the cutscenes. I was invested in the characters and there were a lot of cool moments in them.

And why do I read every one of your posts like you're shouting all of the time?

Cause some of it is clearly supposed to convey shouting? It's why the caps are there. You know, emphasis.

And I did. Most of the shit between the disney worlds was superfluous and unimportant. There's nothing cool about Ienzo talking with riku and mickey for fifteen minutes about Xehanort while Aeleus and Dilan stand in the background like mimes

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Asking for FF characters in this game is like asking for Darcy in Infinity War

I legitimately don't think it would've been too much to ask to show a shot of Leon looking up and smiling as people celebrated in Radiant Garden in the credits.

Just a simple acknowledgement that these characters existed and were important in Sora's journey.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I legitimately don't think it would've been too much to ask to show a shot of Leon looking up and smiling as people celebrated in Radiant Garden in the credits.

Just a simple acknowledgement that these characters existed and were important in Sora's journey.

You can replace that sentence for Darcy or Dr. Selvig or even Atnman in Infinity War and it would be the same.

It can be done, It's just not necessary...

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Just finding out there are two secret keyblades. One for collecting and playing through all the classic kingdom games and the other for gathering all the ingredients and cooking all the recipes in the game. There are still some surprises here and there despite lacking elsewhere.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so I just beat the game last night. Overall, I like it. But it still doesn't beat KH2 for me.

I do think this game was a bit....underwhelming. The combat is as great and varied as ever. However, my main problem in this game is the pacing. Both in the Disney worlds and the overall plot. It's so weird. I don't remember the previous games trying to emulate the movies all that much? Corona was the first time I noticed, as it was basically copying the movie up until the boss, in which neither Flynn nor Rapunzel joined in on (wtf). The romance between the two was incredibly rushed too, but honestly I don't know what else they could have done with that part.

However the biggest offender was Arendelle holy shit. I was looking forward to having Elsa as a party member but it was just basically a huge mountain ice maze. If you didn't watch Frozen you wouldn't have any idea who Hans was or why he was a bad guy.

And even though the plot wrapped up nicely, it was pretty anticlimactic. I didn't realize I was fighting the final boss until I beat the game. The pre-fights with all of the 13 darknesses were pretty awesome, even with the jarring cutscene interruptions in the battle when you defeated each of them.

The twist at the end with Luxu is....interesting. I'm not sure where they'll take this. Does the secret movie/ending add anything substantial? I'll go back to platinum this eventually, but I want to finish up RE2 first.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
I am personally quite fine with the pacing of the story. Something big in the middle of the story wouldn't have hurt though, but I liked the organization bits with Vexen acting as a double agent and the whole Replica project.

The pacing itself is like DDD, but with closures in the end instead of the clusterfuck of questions that the time travel introduced. I think it worked perfectly well since the last few hours was very meaty but didn't overstay its welcome.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You can replace that sentence for Darcy or Dr. Selvig or even Atnman in Infinity War and it would be the same.

It can be done, It's just not necessary...

I don't think Leon is on the same level as a comic relief side character from the first two generally unpopular Thor films. That's not fair.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Riku/Mickey save Aqua on their initial visit to the RoD, and come into conflict with Ansemnort while they're there. Aqua now has to recover, so she heads to Avalon, where Axel and Kairi are. Meanwhile, Riku, Mickey and Sora go investigating reports of Organisation activity in an assertive effort to derail Xehanort's plans.

(I really need to stop regurgitating the mental red pen scribbles I made all over the manuscript, lol)

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

They should have gotten Leon and the gang help Merlin train Axel and Kairi. Maybe then they wouldn't have ended up so terrible.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I don't think Leon is on the same level as a comic relief side character from the first two generally unpopular Thor films. That's not fair.

Leon is a side character that got his arc completely resolved and has little to offer to the current plot. So maybe like asking for Agent 13 or Valkyrie in Infinity War, I think that's a more apt comparison

I'd go as far to say that Aeleus and Dilan being mute is a far more egregious disservice to their characters, they should have been Leon'd.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
He ended up in Shibuya, we dont't know if it's TWEWY yet

Sorry, DP
It's a possible option but there's no real way of being able to tell. You should still play it regardless though as it's a fantastic game.
Whilst it is technically unconfirmed, the fact that the 104 building is shown means that the two possible options are it's the TWEWY world they've already set up in DDD or the far less likely possibility that Sora is in a completely different world with a completely different Shibuya that just happens to also have the 104.

Like, can you actually imagine that? Having to explain to Sora that yes he's in Shibuya but not in that Shibuya a different Shibuya? That would just raise the even nastier question that the series has this far sidestepped: do the seperate worlds work like parallel universes? Like, are the Pirates and Beauty and the Beast worlds identical once you start hitting the parts of the world that have nothing to do with the films? I mean, Pirates world must be pretty much the whole of earth at that time period what with the British empire existing and all that, and there's no reason to assume that B&tB is just France or whatever. Even Atlantica needs there to be a full surface world for it to work, as seen in 2, despite it initially being treated like it's just all ocean in 1. San-Fransokyo must have parallel dimensions inside of it too, so are they contained within the world? Do the doors in mostropolis act as portals to a seperate world of normal humans?

I just cannot see them blundering into that whole mess.

They're totally gonna do it aren't they?

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Whilst it is technically unconfirmed, the fact that the 104 building is shown means that the two possible options are it's the TWEWY world they've already set up in DDD or the far less likely possibility that Sora is in a completely different world with a completely different Shibuya that just happens to also have the 104.

Like, can you actually imagine that? Having to explain to Sora that yes he's in Shibuya but not in that Shibuya a different Shibuya? That would just raise the even nastier question that the series has this far sidestepped: do the seperate worlds work like parallel universes? Like, are the Pirates and Beauty and the Beast worlds identical once you start hitting the parts of the world that have nothing to do with the films? I mean, Pirates world must be pretty much the whole of earth at that time period what with the British empire existing and all that, and there's no reason to assume that B&tB is just France or whatever. Even Atlantica needs there to be a full surface world for it to work, as seen in 2, despite it initially being treated like it's just all ocean in 1. San-Fransokyo must have parallel dimensions inside of it too, so are they contained within the world? Do the doors in mostropolis act as portals to a seperate world of normal humans?

I don't know what it means. But the 104 is unique from TWEWY so it's obvious it's referring to that. So it's probably DLC or "Final Mix" with TWEWY as an entire world. That's what it sounds like to me. I don't think it's KH4 or a spin-off, it's too soon. With each world being around 2-3 hours long it makes sense to add another world and add the final mix content all together alongside it so it justifies the $15-20 they're going to ask for it. If Marvel and Star Wars happen, those two would be a pack separate from the final mix considering just how big of a deal both of them are.

What this also means is that TWEWY is probably coming to PS4, X1, and PC, which I figured would happen eventually anyway considering they already ported it on mobile.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness

I think the original idea was that the worlds were the dreams of children, formed after the real world was sundered/destroyed? Or something.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what it means. But the 104 is unique from TWEWY so it's obvious it's referring to that. So it's probably DLC or "Final Mix" with TWEWY as an entire world. That's what it sounds like to me. I don't think it's KH4 or a spin-off, it's too soon. With each world being around 2-3 hours long it makes sense to add another world and add the final mix content all together alongside it so it justifies the $15-20 they're going to ask for it. If Marvel and Star Wars happen, those two would be a pack separate from the final mix considering just how big of a deal both of them are.

What this also means is that TWEWY is probably coming to PS4, X1, and PC, which I figured would happen eventually anyway considering they already ported it on mobile.
The secret movies in KH games typically depict characters and events from a future game. The secret movie in KH2FM specifically sets up Birth by Sleep, for example.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
The secret movies in KH games typically depict characters and events from a future game. The secret movie in KH2FM specifically sets up Birth by Sleep, for example.

You have to remember this is the first time a KH game released on systems where DLC Is possible. Things won't be the same as before. We've already gotten hints of a Final Mix DLC so it only makes sense that's what this is hinting towards.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
You have to remember this is the first time a KH game released on systems where DLC Is possible. Things won't be the same as before. We've already gotten hints of a Final Mix DLC so it only makes sense that's what this is hinting towards.
Last we heard, the KH team was still debating whether to delve out a bunch of smaller DLCs or a a single, reasonably sized DLC add-on (if any DLC at all). Nomura doesn't want to spend time cranking out a ton of DLC. He wants to move on to KH4 ASAP.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand this one. Xehanort holding the x-blade under Kingdom Hearts didn't tip you off this was probably the big climax?

That's because they showed the logo for Scala ad Caelum and I thought I was going to go through an entire final dungeon. It literally went straight from that battle with those shadow things, then to armored Xehanort, then to the rest of the game. I thought I was going to have an opportunity to save somewhere in between. It wasn't until I beat armored Xehanort and immediately got thrusted into the battle on top of the castle that I realized this was it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You have to remember this is the first time a KH game released on systems where DLC Is possible. KH2, BbS, DDD, 358\2, Re:Coded, DLC wasn't possible for any of them. Things won't be the same as before. We've already gotten hints of a Final Mix DLC so it only makes sense that's what this is hinting towards.

Having a 15-20 hour Final Mix DLC is equivalent to the size of those spin-offs.

There's absolutely no way they're gonna do a 20-hour DLC. That's almost the entire length of the main game as it is.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Last we heard, the KH team was still debating whether to delve out a bunch of smaller DLCs or a a single, reasonably sized DLC add-on (if any DLC at all). Nomura doesn't want to spend time cranking out a ton of DLC. He wants to move on to KH4 ASAP.

It's obvious a Final Mix DLC or something similar will be happening. Considering the secret movie is hinting at things already in the game it only makes further sense that it's DLC. Having a 15-20 hour Final Mix DLC is equivalent to the size of those spin-offs so it makes complete sense to me. It's too soon for KH4. The game has sold over 5 million now, they're going to continue supporting it until the end of the gen. It's not really up to Nomura. DLC content is 100% coming, free and paid.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's obvious a Final Mix DLC or something similar will be happening. Considering the secret movie is hinting at things already in the game it only makes further sense that it's DLC. Having a 15-20 hour Final Mix DLC is equivalent to the size of those spin-offs so it makes complete sense to me. It's too soon for KH4. The game has sold over 5 million now, they're going to continue supporting it until the end of the gen. It's not really up to Nomura. DLC content is 100% coming, free and paid.
KH3 as a whole took me about 30 hours to finish. There's no way that we're getting a DLC that's equivalent to half to two-thirds the length of the base game.