Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Having beaten the game I am sort of indifferent about it. Its not bad, a very fun single player game in fact. But I think the other numbered KH games are better. Even 1, though obviously not in terms of raw gameplay. BBS too, but its essentially 0 (I grew to like BBS a lot when it hit consoles).

There aren't many worlds, but seeing their size it makes sense why. However, they don't push the story forward at all. During the first hour of Pirates I fell asleep, there was barely any gameplay. I have to rewatch those few cutscenes soon because this wasn't a joke. I think the game misses some KH worlds, like Radiant Garden, Scala, a proper Twilight Town or even Traverse Town.

The worlds are hit and miss. Olympus was great. Toy Box was meh with too much mech stuff going on and I didn't like the mall much. Tangled was great. Frozen was wtf is this about (its not good). BH6 was good, Monstropolis was good, Pirates was good in scale but if I look back all I did was collect crabs to power up, do a few ship battles and fight the boss. And watch a string of bad cutscenes going nowhere. There isn't much reason to go back to any world with newly acquired skills, the wallrun is sort of deus ex machina and cheap tbh.

Then it funnels you through the story, which is cutscene -> battle cutscene until the credits. Thats fine and dandy but as much as the other players I had legit questions about the character building and usefulness of Kairi and Lea for example. And Xehanorts motive? I don't know.

As for the gameplay, I was deliberately avoiding attractions and Links because its boring, easy and automated. This could use a rebalance. I wasn't too hot on keyblade transformations either but its personal, I have used the Kingdom Key throughout the game. Good thing you can upgrade them to keep them relevant. Perhaps KH2 FM was a fluke, because that gameplay hasn't been rivaled by any other entry.
Speaking of gameplay and Kingdom Hearts 2, there is no explanation really why Sora cannot dual wield blades other than he lost some of his power in DDD. But obviously in general he is stronger than he ever was gameplay wise. Dual wielding would have been the perfect icing on the cake for the combat IMO.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Riku is just a norted 2nd Riku Replica. What in the game implies Vanitas time traveled?
It is implied that Vanitas were revived thanks to the huge amount of negative energy in Monsters inc. If I'm not mistaken.

Welp.

Something is off for me. So if he's just a 2nd Riku Replica why didn't they make 10 of those and call it a day? Also the negativity revived Vanitas doesn't make much sense either. Why wasn't another creature of negative energy/darkness etc created since Vanitas was dead?

Not that any of this matters in the end but still.

Last edited:

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Welp.

Something is off for me. So if he's just a 2nd Riku Replica why didn't they make 10 of those and call it a day? Also the negativity revived Vanitas doesn't make much sense either. Why wasn't another create of negative energy/darkness etc created since Vanitas was dead?

Not that any of this matters in the end but still.
The secret reports have Vexen saying that they're using old prototypes (Xemnas, Ansem, Young Xehanort) and a few new models (Dark Riku, Xion, Roxas). It doesn't sound like he had a lot of time

I don't know the answer to the Vanitas thing, sorry.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I don't have a problem with a 2nd Riku Replica but the Vanitas explanation isn't very satisfying to me either. It would be one thing if Vanitas was just the physical embodiment of all negative thoughts, but he's specifically Ventus' darkness. It makes sense having Unversed be there, but why would children's screams and sadness or whatever randomly recreate something as specific as Vanitas?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I don't have a problem with a 2nd Riku Replica but the Vanitas explanation isn't very satisfying to me either. It would be one thing if Vanitas was just the physical embodiment of all negative thoughts, but he's specifically Ventus' darkness. It makes sense having Unversed be there, but why would children's screams and sadness or whatever randomly recreate something as specific as Vanitas?

The Unversed are made from Vanitas, they are Vanitas.
e0e0bff8c573426f11ab14ee1e430b724f095995r1-540-279_hq.gif

The remaining Unversed just came together and reformed hi,

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little baffled that Riku Replica killed himself for Namine when they could probably just create new replicas.

alpha13a

Jan 2, 2019
My idea for the next kh

Prologue title spin off introductory.

No space with gummiship

But, an open world world with elements, FF and TWEWY

Main protagonist yozora

Main party, playable characters sora riku and yozora

Main world history
Mix between the plot of versus 13 and TWEWY

Together with yozora, Sora and Riku will live a minor parallel adventure to act as a prologue for kh4

In this open world world there will be portals / pages of the book of prophecies to enter some disney worlds

Disney worlds can only be completed with riku and sora

To advance in the main story you will have to complete the various Disney portals

Oct 25, 2017
He's not. He's lying and just a replica. He says as much as he's dying, and the 1st Replica says so too. He wants to convince you that's he's real when he's just a copy. That's why they specifically used him in the Big Hero 6 world and in the second Baymax story.

It's both.

He's from the past and a replica. Roxas says as much. "Most of the Organization members traveled here from the past as hearts. And you had replicas ready and waiting for each of them."

Dark Riku's heart traveled from the past and was in a new replica body created by Vexen.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yeah Im
Not saying it's a plot hole or anything. Just that it kinda sucks that everyone without a body got one except him.

Sora also didn't get a body :P

It's both.

He's from the past and a replica. Roxas says as much. "Most of the Organization members traveled here from the past as hearts. And you had replicas ready and waiting for each of them."

Dark Riku's heart traveled from the past and was in a new replica body created by Vexen.

So he is our Dark Riku and a replica. Makes sense

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Now this makes me wonder... How did the original Replica Riku even take Riku's form? You need a heart to give a Relica a form, do you not? Or did the fabricated memories Naminé provided give it a heart?

I'm also still not clear on Master Xehanort and Terra-Xehanort's deal. Which one is the recompleted form? This would mean one of them is from the past, and Apprentice Xehanort is still missing. I'm gonna assume Nomura forgot or chose to ignore this, I suppose.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Now this makes me wonder... How did the original Replica Riku even take Riku's form? You need a heart to give a Relica a form, do you not? Or did the fabricated memories Naminé provided give it a heart?

I'm also still not clear on Master Xehanort and Terra-Xehanort's deal. Which one is the recompleted form? This would mean one of them is from the past, and Apprentice Xehanort is still missing. I'm gonna assume Nomura forgot or chose to ignore this, I suppose.

Isn't Terranort from the past because he hasn't aged? We know nobodies age so it has to be him before the amnesia thing. The recompelted thing is really confusing since killing Xemnas and Ansem should make Terranort not Master Xehanort like it's implied.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
It's both.

Isnt Dark Riku just past Riku replica who thinks he's real Riku? That's what I thought.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't Terranort from the past because he hasn't aged? We know nobodies age so it has to be him before the amnesia thing. The recompelted thing is really confusing since killing Xemnas and Ansem should make Terranort not Master Xehanort like it's implied.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too, but as you said, we're supposed to get Terra-Xehanort reformed instead of Master Xehanort... It being past Terra-Xehanort would diminish Terra breaking free too, cause he'd have only been the guardian for a little while, as compared to if he was the guardian for more than ten years.
Isnt Dark Riku just past Riku replica who thinks he's real Riku? That's what I thought.
This is my understanding of it too. Didn't Replica Riku say "That's me" or something to that effect?

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
BdrerSw.gif

I really tried to get the camera to stay still on Baymax, but those aerial dodges lol

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too, but as you said, we're supposed to get Terra-Xehanort reformed instead of Master Xehanort... It being past Terra-Xehanort would diminish Terra breaking free too, cause he'd have only been the guardian for a little while, as compared to if he was the guardian for more than ten years.

This is my understanding of it too. Didn't Replica Riku say "That's me" or something to that effect?

Oh yeah, he did.

That would means he's Riku replica from before Namine brainwashed him

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Xigbar, Saix, Marluxia, Larxene, Luxord all chose to be Nobodys again, theyre not replicas and they're not from the past. So did Vexen and Demyx.

Terra-Xehanort is not a replica or from the past

Master Xehanort isnt a replica or from the past

Vanitas isn't a replica or from the past

Xion, Dark Riku, Ansem, Xemnas, Young Xehanort are in replica bodies

Xemnas, Ansem, and Young Xehanort are specifically from the past

How is that most of the organization traveling from the past as hearts into replica bodies?

What is Roxas' line in Japanese?

Aly

Oct 27, 2017

Exactly but I guess they also didn't want Terra to be the only one of the trio to age. It's funny because there is still clearly a bit of Terra in Xemnas/Ansem although Ansem takes more from Master Xehanort. I've said this before but it's interesting how Terranort, Ansem SoD, and Xemnas are basically their own people at this point.

Zaverious

Oct 25, 2017
The older Terra-Xehanort not being in this game and DDD is so stupid lol It's like they refuse to have an older Terra interact with Ventus and Aqua yet you build up to this.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This is the same series that on like, five occasions made Sora look like a 14 year old again after KH2 was released. Nomura is deathly afraid of aging the cast.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah older Terranort would've been an interesting situation curious to see if the Ultamania addresses it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
I can head canon Terra being the same age due to time travel shenanigans. Aqua looking the same confuses me more since Riku definitley aged in the Realm of Darkness.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Was the you need a strong heart to become a non Dusk Nobody retconned? How did Ansem's lot guarantee they would become them? Is it just another silly thing which you can't think too hard about?

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Was the you need a strong heart to become a non Dusk Nobody retconned? How did Ansem's lot guarantee they would become them? Is it just another silly thing which you can't think too hard about?

I think the official wording was "strong will." And if they already became (people shaped) Nobodies once they probably felt pretty confident they would become Nobodies again. Assuming you're talking about Marluxia, Larxene, Luxord, Saix, etc.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I think control of the process makes a difference since they did it under controlled circumstances (but yes also don't think too hard about it).

Notable that Apprentice Xehanort/Ansem was the only one to split into a fully self-aware Heartless *and* Nobody (though obviously his Heartless needed to possess Riku before taking full physical form again). Presumably the rest of them didn't have that much inherent darkness before becoming Nobodies and playing with it at will.

Deleted member 29464

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think the official wording was "strong will." And if they already became (people shaped) Nobodies once they probably felt pretty confident they would become Nobodies again. Assuming you're talking about Marluxia, Larxene, Luxord, Saix, etc.
I guess that kinda makes sense.
I think control of the process makes a difference since they did it under controlled circumstances (but yes also don't think too hard about it).

Notable that Apprentice Xehanort/Ansem was the only one to split into a fully self-aware Heartless *and* Nobody (though obviously his Heartless needed to possess Riku before taking full physical form again). Presumably the rest of them didn't have that much inherent darkness before becoming Nobodies and playing with it at will.
I forgot about this, makes me wonder if anybody else could keep their form... Well as much as Ansenort did considering he needed to possess Riku. Would Luxu? I'm probably thinking about this too hard.

I also do not get the people saying Terranort isn't from the past. How are there two present Xehanorts?

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that kinda makes sense.
I forgot about this, makes me wonder if anybody else could keep their form... Well as much as Ansenort did considering he needed to possess Riku. Would Luxu? I'm probably thinking about this too hard.

I also do not get the people saying Terranort isn't from the past. How are there two present Xehanorts?

If he was from the past then he would need to return there. That's how the time travel that Xehanort's group was using worked.

Most likely due to the presence of two hearts, both Master Xehanort and Terra came back after Xemnas was defeated, but Xehanort somehow managed to maintain control of Terra's body. That's really the only explanation that makes sense right now.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
If he was from the past then he would need to return there. That's how the time travel that Xehanort's group was using worked.

Most likely due to the presence of two hearts, both Master Xehanort and Terra came back after Xemnas was defeated, but Xehanort somehow managed to maintain control of Terra's body. That's really the only explanation that makes sense right now.
Same logic by which he was in Braig *and* Terra at the end of BBS, I think.

Deleted member 29464

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

What if Terranort is a replica and Terra wasn't sent back because he wasn't the one defeated, it was Xehanort? Does that work? I don't remember the fight well.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017

I imagine Master Xehanort has some degree of control over anyone that is (or has been, in this case) as vessel of his, like when he sics Saix on Axel in Dream Drop Distance without even saying a word.

Oct 27, 2017
What if Terranort is a replica and Terra wasn't sent back because he wasn't the one defeated, it was Xehanort? Does that work? I don't remember the fight well.
I think the whole thing is just a plot hole that stems from Nomura wanting old man Xeahnort to be the villain for the game.

Even though the game logic up to this point has said Terranort is the entity that should exist at this point in time, and even though a multi stage boss battle vs Terranort then old man Xeahnort would have made perfect sense, Nomura just really wanted the old man as the antagonist.

Which sucks because without Leonard Nimoy the old man is way less imposing than in BBS.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it is kinda strange that everyone but Master Xehanort felt more boss worthy. Like the Xemnas, Ansem, Young Xehanort combo felt way more imposing to me along with Vanitas and Terranort.

Deleted member 29464

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think the whole thing is just a plot hole that stems from Nomura wanting old man Xeahnort to be the villain for the game.

Even though the game logic up to this point has said Terranort is the entity that should exist at this point in time, and even though a multi stage boss battle vs Terranort then old man Xeahnort would have made perfect sense, Nomura just really wanted the old man as the antagonist.

Which sucks because without Leonard Nimoy the old man is way less imposing than in BBS.
Leonard Nimoy was Xehanort! Damn, no wonder I enjoyed the old voice actor more. The idea of these famous voice actors voicing KH original characters always makes me laugh when I imagine them reading the scripts.