• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't have to be another dual screen with a bottom touch screen. Hell, bring back the Game Boy. I know I'm in the minority on this but I really like the dichotomy we've had in the Nintendo space for the past 30 years of console and handheld. I like having two Nintendo platforms on the market with discrete catalogues and experiences. Plus the Switch doesn't feel like a handheld to me and I believe Nintendo views it the same. Anyone else share what I at least get the sense is this unpopular opinion?

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not, holy shit. This would be the best way to sabotage Nintendo and their prospects. You'll get your handheld experiences on the Switch. You'll get all of that without having to buy a separate piece of expensive hardware. Why ask for the exact opposite of that?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As long as every single one of those games come out on Switch too, knock yourself out.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason why I want a 3DS successor is because I just cannot imagine Etrian Odyssey without the double screen :(((

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I think the Switch is as portable as it needs to be. I for one look forward to getting to consume all of Nintendo's output without have to look at multiple platforms.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
They need to keep supporting the 3DS, make a successor to the 3DS, keep supporting the Switch, and also make a successor to the Switch. I want Nintendo supporting 4 platforms at the same time.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If only Nintendo had another console that had battery power, could be charged and doesn't have to be tethered.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want a Switch in the form factor of a 3ds. Plays all switch games but is backwards compatible with 3ds.

It's not that I don't think Switch is suitable to be the only Nintendo platform going forward. I think it is actually great for that. BUT I really need a redesigned Switch that is more suitable as a portable. It can still be dockable and have the same tv interactions as the switch. It just won't be built around the joy con size limitations and be more like a traditional Nintendo handheld.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I personally REALLY liked the 3D effect in games that utilized it. Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem especially.

Unfortunately I think the 3DS will be the last time we ever see that without needing to wear a headset. I would take a 3DS successor in a heartbeat but I don't think it can happen because the Switch is meant to be both a handheld and home console.

VR does interesting things with 3D, and I do like what I've tried from PSVR, but having to wear a headset is tiring, nauseating, and kills your ability to do literally anything else without taking it off first.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
No. Switch is perfect for current needs. Maybe you need a switch mini, but I cannot think of a good reason for me to have two consoles and a games library split across them, when the Switch does such a good job of being portable and playable on my tv.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Nope. I just want more AA switch games

Oct 27, 2017
Even more unpopular opinion: I want them to keep supporting the 3ds.

Not gonna happen after this year and next year, of course, but I would want them to. I'm basically always travelling and never in a fixed place for too long, so the only kind of gaming I can do is portable gaming, and that has been my base for 6 years now.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
No I usually hate having to buy 2 nintendo devices a generation. Just want all their games on 1 hardware

Even if the switch isn't as portable friendly as I would like it to be

Oct 25, 2017
I think every generation requires reminding that Nintendo....how best to put it....doesn't actually view its users as needing to be hard-wired to their product/software 24/7.

The home console platform and the handheld platform were always a matter of choice, it was just a bonus that most of us here would get both - Nintendo had a foot in both markets so they covered all bases here.

But again, time 'away from gaming' isn't viewed as a positive these days by most gaming companies - we're supposed to be locked in to an eco-system 24/7 if not actually using the content for all that time.

The Switch is at least a nod in the direction of the 'always connected' video game fan.

Any more Nintendo consoles at this point - when the Switch already pulls double-duty - and Nintendo knows that they'll lose that 'I'm going to fit in some gaming time after work/at the weekend/when the children/spouse are otherwise occupied' demographic that's serving them so well now.

I am not sure they are prepared to let that happen right now.

I hate the terms hardcore and casual so I'm purposely not using them and definitely don't want to be seen as meaning anything to do with these loathsome outdated terms,

But the fact remains, a console that fits with everybody; over two or more systems or services that seeks to have everybody conform and fit to them, on their terms?

I know what I'd rather have right now.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'm good.
Maybe you'll get a Switch Mini eventually, but I don't see an entirely different console being produced.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I want a Switch with non-removable joycons, proper d-pad and better ergonomics.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean

- yes, I would buy a 3ds successor. I still think there's something valuable about the form factor, size, inputs, price of software etc that makes it unique enough from the switch and something that hasn't been replaced by the switch (I still use my 3ds a lot). If devs still have game design ideas involving inputs etc that switch can't match then bring it.

- The switch absolutely is a portable console. What it does is different to 3ds and provides a dif appeal imo, but I think it's a bit mad to say otherwise (love my switch also)

Put me in the both are as good as each other camp then but yea, I'd like a successor or even just more regular software than this year on the 3ds. I wouldn't see the appeal in one with no dual screen though?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Part of the reason I bought the Switch was because of the idea of them combining their hardware so I really hope they don't.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Sounds like you want a Switch mini, also known as a Switch that....doesn't switch lol. In all seriousness I get it but it completely undermines the entire point of the Switch.

optimiss

May 17, 2018
I'd like a Gameboy successor that is 2D only, indie game/VC heavy, and gets like 40 hours of battery life.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Another handheld so soon aside from the handheld console hybrid that is the Switch... another handheld would basically delay Pokemon further. And I want pokemon on console already.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Hell no! All focus and development should be on the Switch and only the Switch.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I get what you mean but I would be good if they just bring a bunch more stuff over from 3DS to the Switch since I never brought my 3DS on public transport, both the 3DS and Switch are home consoles for me.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. I've wished every 3ds game since the switch released were multiplat. I use the switch as a handheld almost exclusively. I just want to see more mid-budget games released on the switch. For example, I'd have been fine paying 50 for a port of ever oasis or hey pikmin that changed basically nothing but resolution

I do hope that they keep doing top down Zeldas, 2d metroids, and weird experimental versions of franchises, but it seems like the best way for me to continue getting Nintendo games is if they make the hybrid thing work and progress towards minimizing droughts

Plus the switch is already too flat to be very uncomfortable. I don't want to go back to a system that's smaller in other dimensions as well.

Sometimes I miss the stylus and clamshell design, but in practice I'm currently playing all my Nintendo games on a 720p game boy

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
Me too. I don't find the Switch portable enough for the needs that the 3DS covered. Also, it doesn't have StreetPass, which makes it automatically inferior to the 3DS for carrying it around :P

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
It doesn't have to be another dual screen with a bottom touch screen. Hell, bring back the Game Boy. I know I'm in the minority on this but I really like the dichotomy we've had in the Nintendo space for the past 30 years of console and handheld. I like having two Nintendo platforms on the market with discrete catalogues and experiences. Plus the Switch doesn't feel like a handheld to me and I believe Nintendo views it the same. Anyone else share what I at least get the sense is this unpopular opinion?

Nintendo definitely has stressed that they view it as a home console, that can also be taken with you places.
Its design definitely does not prioritize handheld play, or quick play sessions.

However, it's really hard to beat mobile phones in that space. So instead, we'll just keep getting more 3DS stuff for a while, rather than a successor.

If they every come out with a Switch that can fit easily in and out of pockets, I'll buy it in a heartbeat, though.
I keep using my 3DS and Vita daily because how great it is to have portable consoles that don't need to have a carrying case, or be put into a bag.
It's less conspicuous, especially if I'm just playing to kill time.
And with Vita particularly, the comfort of playing it and the battery life in sleep mode is significantly better than Switch.

So I feel you, OP, but it's just not a good idea to risk a new handheld when they can just keep selling the Switch and 3DS as their high and low end systems.
I like dual screen gameplay, and I like 3D. I also liked the Vita, and I just gotta acknowledge that the era of dedicated handhelds is over. The age of heroes is gone.

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The loss of dual screened clamshell design is the biggest thing I'm going to miss. Plus I could probably count the number of times I've used switch in handheld mode on my fingers. It's too large for my tastes to use as a handheld. Docked for life.

Not looking forward to Pokémon/fire emblem /Layton/phoenix wright/lots of other stuff going back to a single screen.

But they're not going to support a third device alongside switch and mobile.