• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible. I'm sure someone's probably done it - I'm trying, it just is a lonnnng download and a lonnnng verify. If I get some results and nobody else has posted any I'll report back.

I have it loaded now, finally. In editor playback, I get around 30fps on a Tesla T4, 64GB of RAM. I'll try building.
💪👏🙏

I wonder how big it's going to be once packaged( if successful )

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Not on deformable characters like humans :(.

Yeah, and it will also likely not be applicable for vegetation if you want to make it sway.

Nevertheless, if they can have "rigid body" characters and vehicles animated with Nanites, it's already impressive, and it will save a lot of the geometry budget for the soft body stuffs.

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
Unreal 5 continues to look amazing. Feels like the character (Echo)'s face and scarf looked better in the 2020 UE5 video though. Bloody lol at those PC system requirements

J75

Sep 29, 2018
That tech demo is amazing. Drooling over those visuals. Can't wait till we start seeing some retail games of that fidelity!

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
I'm getting so triggered by people in the thread saying "the vault animation looks bad" when as a game developer I'm over here completely gobsmacked by the possible applications of the Motion Warping tools they used to make it, and how easy it would be to do complicated animation work with them now.

Y'all have no clue how hard it is to make something like that, and are also viewing this entire presentation through the wrong lense. This presentation is for developers, and isn't meant to be completely polished on every little bit.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The framerate is awful.

Got a horrible feeling we're going to be back in 30fps-land on consoles again once UE5 games start releasing.

They already promised 60 FPS and betetr res coming down the line. Don't forget Fortnite even started in 30 Fps, lower res and worse graphics and things shifted after.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
The framerate is awful.

Got a horrible feeling we're going to be back in 30fps-land on consoles again once UE5 games start releasing.
Of course we are, gonna need a mid-gen upgrade or to play on PC if you want 60fps

I can imagine Gears 6 being a showcase for a 60fps UE5 title

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
If you think about it, UE4 compared to UE4 now is a completely different beast, I'm sure UE5 will even be more impressive as it gets constantly updated.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
If TSR is going 1080p->4k couldn't Series S pull something like 720-900p->1440p or so?

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The framerate is awful.

That'll be up to developers and how they design their games. It can happen, but I wouldn't use this as a reference. Remember, at the end of the day, it's just a tech demo to show how what the engine can do. An actual game would be much different.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
This could be the biggest leap in visuals since...I don't know, forever?
And people are complaining :D

It does remain to be seen if enough resources are left to handle characters with deformable mesh and stuff like foliage on top of Nanite though.
And how it can scale for higher framerates or less powerful hardware.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
This could be the biggest leap in visuals since...I don't know, forever?
And people are complaining :D

It does remain to be seen if enough resources are left to handle characters with deformable mesh and stuff like foliage on top of Nanite though.
And how it can scale for higher framerates or less powerful hardware.

Well. It's the max leap reached sicne you can bring your source models costing millions or billions of polygons without needing to butcher them by hacks and other approximated methods (normal, height maps and so on), which were smart back then but they aren't needed now. the same thing happened last gen with PBR eliminating the need for baked light maps for each surface.
Lumen, just like RT will eliminate the need for baking light data too and will free up artisst to focus on creating other things instead of doing more hacks.
This is basically cinema quality we are getting now.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Well the scariest part that confirmed our fears is that the Valley Of The Ancient Demo is 100 GB, more than a full game. So yeah, a full game with such quality woudl require 1 or 2 TBs or even more.

This is size of raw assets not size of runtime assets on disc. They give some value for assets size on this page.

For example, using the Unreal Engine 5 sample
Valley of the Ancients
, Nanite meshes average 14.4 bytes per input triangle. This means an average one million triangle Nanite mesh will be ~13.8 megabytes (MB) on disk.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
This engine will define this generation like UE4 for defined the last one... so many great games were made with UE4, I seriously can't wait to see what the developers will do with UE5.

Final Fantasy VII-3 will looks glorious and divine. ( yes Part 3 not part 2 ).

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Combing over the documentation right now and both Nanite and Lumen are quite limited at this point:

Nanite is currently limited to rigid meshes. These represent greater than 90% of the geometry in any typical scene for projects and is the initial focus of Nanite development. Nanite supports dynamic translation, rotation, and non-uniform scaling of rigid meshes, but does not support general mesh deformation, whether it is dynamic or static. This means any position of a Nanite mesh in a way that is more complex than can be expressed in a single 4x3 matrix multiply applied to the entire mesh.

Deformation not supported includes, but is not limited to:

• Skeletal animation
  • Morph Targets
  • World Position Offset in materials
  • Spline meshes
Nanite meshes also do not currently support:

• Custom depth or stencil
  • Vertex painting on instances
    • This specifically means per-instance painted colors using the editor's Mesh Paint mode.
    • Vertex colors imported on the original mesh are supported.

The following materials, with the following settings cannot be assigned to Nanite meshes. They will either be disallowed or will have no effect on Nanite meshes if used.

• Any Blend Mode besides Opaque
    • This includes Masked and Translucent blend modes
  • Deferred Decal
    • For example, using a Nanite mesh for Mesh Decals
    • Decal meshes projected onto Nanite meshes is supported
  • Wireframe
  • Pixel Depth Offset
  • World Position Offset
  • Custom Per-Instance Data
  • Two Sided
Materials that use the following will not render correctly when applied to a Nanite mesh and may appear visibly broken.

• Vertex Interpolator node
  • Custom UVs

The following rendering features are not currently supported:

• View-specific filtering of objects using:
    • Scene Capture with:
      • Hidden Components
      • Hidden Actors
      • Show Only Components
      • Show Only Actors
    • Minimum Screen Radius
    • Distance culling
    • Anything filtered by FPrimitiveSceneProxy::IsShown()
  • Forward Rendering
  • Stereo rendering for Virtual Reality
  • Split Screen
  • Multisampling Anti-Aliasing (MSAA)
  • Lighting Channels
  • Raytracing against the fully detailed Nanite mesh
    • Ray Tracing features are supported but rays intersect the coarse representation (called a proxy mesh) instead of the fully detailed Nanite mesh
  • Some visualization view modes do not yet support displaying Nanite meshes

Fast camera movement will cause Lumen Scene updating to fall behind where the camera is looking, causing indirect lighting to pop in as it catches up.

Lumen Surface Cache covers the 200 meters from the camera position. Past this, only screen traces are active for global illumination.

• Lumen Global Illumination cannot be used with Static lighting in lightmaps. Lumen Reflections should be extended to work with global illumination in lightmaps in the future, which will provide a way to further scale up render quality.
  • Foliage is not well supported in this Early Access build because of the heavy reliance on downsampled rendering and temporal filters.
  • Lumen's Final Gather can add significant noise around moving objects and is still under active development.
  • Translucent materials are not yet supported for Lumen Reflections.
  • Translucent materials will not have high-quality dynamic global illumination.

There aren't that many use cases where you could make games with interesting game design and be constrained to Lumen and Nanite. While it may be true that over 90% of the geometry in a given scene uses rigid bodies, that doesn't mean that it represents 90% of geometry that the player will notice or interact with, and honestly highlighting how nanite can virtualize what is essentially environment geometry comes across as a bit dismissive regarding the relevance of the use of soft bodies in many video game scenarios, not to mention organic environments in different climates/biomes that just wouldn't be work well if they were restricted to rigid body geometry (hence the new demos showing same barren landscapes they showed before).

No forward rendering support is also disappointing but expected. I know most devs use deferred these days but it's still nice to have options, especially if transparency/translucency is gonna be prominent in a project's scenes.

No two-sided materials is unfortunate as well considering how many artist tricks are reliant on such behavior.

I hope the screen tracing does a good enough job of compensating for the shortcomings of the proxy meshes because they don't look anywhere near the quality of the original meshes.

So yeah, while I'm excited for the potential of this engine, I do not foresee many games this generation making exclusive use of Nanite and Lumen for geometry and lighting respectively.

There's a lot to like about UE5 though. It's very, very accessible and the workflow is painlessly streamlined. Couldn't ask for better on that front.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
Combing over the documentation right now and both Nanite and Lumen are quite limited at this point:

There aren't that many use cases where you could make games with interesting game design and be constrained to Lumen and Nanite. While it may be true that over 90% of the geometry in a given scene uses rigid bodies, that doesn't mean that it represents 90% of geometry that the player will notice or interact with, and honestly highlighting how nanite can virtualize what is essentially environment geometry comes across as a bit dismissive regarding the relevance of the use of soft bodies in many video game scenarios, not to mention organic environments in different climates/biomes that just wouldn't be work well if they were restricted to rigid body geometry (hence the new demos showing same barren landscapes they showed before).

No forward rendering support is also disappointing but expected. I know most devs use deferred these days but it's still nice to have options, especially if transparency/translucency is gonna be prominent in a project's scenes.

No two-sided materials is unfortunate as well considering how many artist tricks are reliant on such behavior.

I hope the screen tracing does a good enough job of compensating for the shortcomings of the proxy meshes because they don't look anywhere near the quality of the original meshes.

So yeah, while I'm excited for the potential of this engine, I do not foresee many games this generation making exclusive use of Nanite and Lumen for geometry and lighting respectively.

There's a lot to like about UE5 though. It's very, very accessible and the workflow is painlessly streamlined. Couldn't ask for better on that front.
Also read all of this and came to similar conclusions.

No forward rendering makes me scratch my head a bit. Like, it took some time for UE 4 to get at least some sort of good transparency solution with actual specularity. It would be a shame to have all that awesome stuff and not be able to create something as basic as good glass or having to fake specularity with cubemaps or something.

Honestly, I expect more from Lumen in the future than Nanite. It's been a long time coming for UE to get something that resembles a good realtime lighting solution. Lightmaps and Unreal have been nigh on inseparable for literal decades now and all the dynamic stuff has been, frankly, rather limited or some cases, dropped from support entirely (SVOGI, ambient light cubemaps, LPV...)

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Out of Grass, leave and hair they think Nanite can work on other type of geometry but it is for future versions.

Ec4toUTU8AQIj_N

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Nanite is great for architectural visualization where you are given polygon exports of big CAD files from various vendors/architects/engineers etc. Just drop it in there and UE5 does its magic nomatter how heavy the source file is.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The framerate is awful.

Dunno why they released this video in this state, considering basically all the other videos are running incredibly smooth.

I'm not sure if it's fair to judge the performance of all games off of this single video.

Regardless of what that particular video's showing, this also comes down to the game engine's utilization by the devs. Not all Unity games run poorly. Not all UE4 games really well. I wish every PC game made in UE4 ran as well as Days Gone, but that's just simply not the case.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
What about object/character interaction with the physics mesh?

If the objects/physics are restricted to rigid bodies/dynamics that's possible. Not much more than that though.

Also read all of this and came to similar conclusions.

No forward rendering makes me scratch my head a bit. Like, it took some time for UE 4 to get at least some sort of good transparency solution with actual specularity. It would be a shame to have all that awesome stuff and not be able to create something as basic as good glass or having to fake specularity with cubemaps or something.

Honestly, I expect more from Lumen in the future than Nanite. It's been a long time coming for UE to get something that resembles a good realtime lighting solution. Lightmaps and Unreal have been nigh on inseparable for literal decades now and all the dynamic stuff has been, frankly, rather limited or some cases, dropped from support entirely (SVOGI, ambient light cubemaps, LPV...)

Completely agree. Hopefully it gets much better with time. Given how the tech works though, they have their work cut out for them; it won't be easy and I certainly don't envy their rendering engineers.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
I imagine the Series S will become a 720p

Of course we are, gonna need a mid-gen upgrade or to play on PC if you want 60fps

I can imagine Gears 6 being a showcase for a 60fps UE5 title
This is what i expect and hope for honestly. good to see tech continue to push forward.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Out of Grass, leave and hair they think Nanite can work on other type of geometry but it is for future versions.

Ec4toUTU8AQIj_N

Those future improvements are not guarantees; they're still being researched. I hope they do eventually get there though.

Also, there are a lot more porous, fibrous, and granular objects than grass, leaves, and hair. Those are just examples.

OP
OP
Rolento

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
captureg8kby.png

No idea what I'm doing but... it looks great!

Learn about blueprints or materials and have fun from there.

As a visual scripting person primarily using GameMaker, Unreal quickly became my new go-to mostly because of how non-code (or visual coding) friendly it was. Just take it one step at a time.

Here's a good resource to start with:
learn.unrealengine.com

Epic Developer Community

The Epic Developer Community offers announcements, tutorials, showcase projects, forums and learning materials. Read about the latest developments.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
The framerate is awful.

GOOD

Without 30fps console games we won't see any significant jump in graphics quality for an entire generation.
So it took a while, but the demo, when packaged and built, weighs in at 24.8GB.

SnTdj8W.png
That's awesome! How is the performance? Same ~30 frames or better?

Can you upload the goodies somewhere? 👀

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Learn about blueprints or materials and have fun from there.

As a visual scripting person primarily using GameMaker, Unreal quickly became my new go-to mostly because of how non-code (or visual coding) friendly it was. Just take it one step at a time.

Here's a good resource to start with:
learn.unrealengine.com

Epic Developer Community

The Epic Developer Community offers announcements, tutorials, showcase projects, forums and learning materials. Read about the latest developments.

I'll look into it!