• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Visually stunning, but squeezing through walls and convenient climbing markings aren't good idea of showcasing next gen. The former especially needs to completely die next gen.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
TFW most of the reactions to this will be from influencers who don't know much if anything about game development. 😢

Visually stunning, but squeezing through walls and convenient climbing markings aren't good idea of showcasing next gen. The former especially needs to completely die next gen.
Pay attention to what's being said during those segments. That's the important bit.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
This is actually pretty big news. Maybe turn your sound on.

Oh
I watched it, it's cool. But it's not a game......so it's not a big deal to me the actual consumer. It's fantastic tech and a lot of thought was out into the next iteration of UE. But at the end of the day I'm smashing the X button come splash screens to get the game.

for a gamer it's a really long video of basically saying, you don't have to worry which console you get.....next gen is here and it's great

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
I wake up late on Wednesdays and I see a literally industry-shaking announcement.

This is absolutely impossible. So much of the current development pipeline is based on retopography, poly count budgets, draw call budgets, light baking and so on.

This just...gets rid of them.

They're gone.

Entirely.

I cannot even fathom this shit. Every developer I know is fucking losing their minds.

yeah, I dont think people realise how much time and back and forth this solves on the back end.
Linear AAA games can come back to tight 80 person studios instead of needing 100+ grunts massaging light maps and generating LOD's

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018

This is just a tech demo in form of interactive third person "game". You should focus on the tech and features cause that's is the only important thing in that demo.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I still am absolutely shocked that they just drop in zbrush models without any extra work. I'm not sure it's even fully sunk in yet. It's huge for the player and huge for the developer.

PS5 and UE5 whew

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
To be honest I'm still in the diminishing returns camp. Sure it's impressive but not mind-blowingly different, the lighting looks good but everything else to my eyes isn't that different from a really great UE4 game. In my opinion of course.

I don't think we'll impress me until about 3 years in and even then I'll be team diminishing returns. 😆

I think the textures being better may make a huge difference. It really takes you out of the experience when you are next to a wall and it looks all blurry. But as with all of this, I think we'll need to see it with our own eyes on our own tv to judge.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
quixel.com

Quixel Limestone Quarry

Discover the building blocks of Epic's UE5 demo "Lumen in the Land of Nanite". This unique, highly-detailed collection contains a large set of jagged cliff faces, limestone rocks, quarry outcrops and giant slab formations.

The entirety of the Quixel Megascan library is free to anyone who uses Unreal Engine.

https://quixel.com/megascans/collec...nt&category=natural&category=limestone-quarry
Meant the actually playable demo with levels, characters et all.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Also, make sure to watch with a decent pair of headphones during the cave sound commentary part. You'll understand why.

DemiOrpheus

Banned
May 9, 2020
just to clarify, no, a PS4 Pro could absolutely not run this

visual fidelity and graphics are more than just buzzwords like 4k too

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Megatextures returning in big style with super high texal density and polygons being virtualized. That's the game changer from having a fast SSD.

These techniques and concept were always there, but now we're finally at a point where we can get real world benefit from it that far surpass conventional techniques.

Deleted member 60772

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
While I'm sure the Series X will be able to run this kind of graphics quality as well, this really is another marketing win for Sony. This is trending all over social media, connected to Ps5. No one is talking about XBox.

Makes that Inside Xbox from last week look even worse by comparison.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
just to clarify, no, a PS4 Pro could absolutely not run this

visual fidelity and graphics are more than just buzzwords like 4k too
PS4 and Xbox One absolutely will run UE5, this was called out several times. Maybe not to the degree of the tech demo given how taxing and limiting it already was on the hardware they chose, but it will run.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw a dev talking about how big some of the Zbrush files can be and now I'm picturing a world returning to floppy's or console cartridges for games, except they're 2TB SSDs

DemiOrpheus

Banned
May 9, 2020
Cerny was absolutely correct when he stressed how important the SSD was, that flying section would not be possible on a mechanical hard drive

Man I can't wait to see Spider-Man 2 on this thing

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It's impossible to know exactly how the tools will work, but I imagine that because the geometry is being virtualized, hitting a target framerate means telling Nanite to generate fewer triangles on screen from the original geometry. There's still likely significant overhead that doesn't change from Nanite, but fewer triangles will be rendered which means less work for the GPU. Same with lighting to some extent, there are numerous quality settings involved.

However, your son is correct in that 30 FPS isn't going away any time soon. If you can make something look better while still maintaining a "cinematic" frame rate, devs and consumers alike are going to be in for it.

Thanks for the reply. Your last paragraph crushed my son's dreams a little :)

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I hope they update their loc branch so that the whole text export is not alphabetically sorted mixing dialogue, items and other stuff.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Unless UE5 maxes out the SSD on a PS5, so it is then beyond all other systems, the Series X will more than manage, maybe even surpass it.
Maybe, but even ignoring the SSD advantage, thanks to its higher clocks the PS5 has the advantage (about 22%) in some areas like pixel fillrate or triangle rate, the latter was actually one of the most important aspect of this demo.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Lord have mercy. That was unbelievable! I was non-stop thinking how a next gen Uncharted/God of War/Horizon will look on the PS5...shit is gonna be unreal (no pun intended)

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No pop-ins allowed but I can't help it. This was what I needed to see! Oh my...
Gave me some of that Uncharted 4 at times, now I'm just trying to imagine it running on this engine on PS5.

Feb 6, 2019

A butt length strand of straight or wavy hair would need maybe 25 segments to look smooth, which would be 50 polygons if the hair is flat and always faces the camera (which is good enough to look very realistic with a good shader) A human has generally 90-130k strands of hair, (redheads usually have less, generally blondes have most, brunettes in the middle).

In CG they usually do a lot less strands and make them 2-4x thicker than real so the hair still looks full. A character with 50,000 individual strands of hair with 25 segments each would have 2.5 million polygons of hair. If they have very curly hair it'd need more polygons but you could use less strands, since curly hair looks fuller, so let's say 4 million polygons for a curly haired character with very long butt length hair.

Female game characters hair is usually shorter, like mid-back length or shoulder lengthso you wouldn't need as many segments so let's say 1m to 1.5m polygons for a typical female character with totally polygonal hair.

Male characters with Nathan Drake style hair would only need 250-350k polygons, or longer male hair like Dante from DMC5 500k polygons.

Those numbers are just for the full-detail, close-up shots.. take into account hair LOD systems which cut down the amount by a large margin.

Sorry for the long post but overall, I'd say CGI level fully polygonal hair rendering for main characters is very likely attainable, CGI level hair physics not so much.

Last edited:

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Cerny was absolutely correct when he stressed how important the SSD was, that flying section would not be possible on a mechanical hard drive

Man I can't wait to see Spider-Man 2 on this thing
Except it's the GPU that was stressed and bottlenecked, not the SSD. There's nothing that indicates anything PS5-specific is required to handle this that couldn't be handled by PC or XSX.
What? Lol dude you won't have to wait that long. You know there are so very competent studios with other engines. Let's just wait till Sony and Microsoft show there games next month
It will be no sooner than 2022

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Should Samus not be allowed to morph into a ball to fit into a tunnel?
It will happen, but unlike last gen, it won't be to hide loadings.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
I'm struggling to see how people think this looks so much better than other stuff we've already seen like Cyberpunk, StarCitizen, Etc.

Looks great, but also as expected based on what's already out there.