Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I bought a bike the other day. I'm really excited about it, I used to be really into mountain biking but my bikes were just from Target or Walmart or whatever, and the last time I rode beyond just going back and forth from school was over a decade ago.

My new bike is the first road bike I've ever owned, and I spent a few hours riding different bikes around the block and talking about the differences between different models with the owner (it's a small local shop). He was really helpful and I love the bike, it's way more comfortable than any I've ever ridden and I wasn't expecting how different a road bike feels from a mountain bike, I was shocked at how light it is and how fast I can go on it.

Everything was going great, I was super excited to ride it home (shop is only about a mile from my apartment so I walked over) but when I went to check out the owner says "Hey, I'd love to sell you the bike today, but just so you know we're having a huge store-wide sale next week and it will be $70 off. If you want it now I can sell it to you, but if you don't mind waiting you can just pay a deposit and pick it up next Friday with the discount."

I tried to reason with him for a few minutes that this didn't make any sense. If the bike was just going to sit in his shop with a "Sold" sign on it for a week, why not just sell it to me now with the discount? He said he couldn't do it. Usually I would have pressed it more since it makes no sense to me, but he was super chill otherwise and had just spent a ton of time helping me out so I just went with it.

Two days later it's still bugging me though. It just seems so arbitrary. If it was a big box store I could totally understand and I'd appreciate the heads-up. But this is the owner of small shop that employs like three other people. He has the power to do whatever he wants. Like I said in the thread title, he just seems really unreasonable to me, I can't understand why he's so adamant about the sale date and why he wants this bike I've half paid off taking up space in his shop.

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017
Dude gave you the heads up on a pending sale even though you were up for buying it at the non-sale price? And you think he's doing you a disservice?

Okay!

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems reasonable to me, not sure what is wrong with waiting a week. Even though the guy owns the shop, he may not dictate the sales price/time.

You seem to be the unreasonable one in this story.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The sold sign shows other people that his shop is active. Its gives the impression that the shop is busy and might entice other people to make purchases of their own.

Or at least thats how I would see it if it was my store. it also could just be a manufacturers sale.

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Dude gave you the heads up on a pending sale even though you were up for buying it at the non-sale price? And you think he's doing you a disservice?

Okay!

Never said he's doing me a disservice, just don't understand what he gains from having a sold bike taking up space in his store for a week.

How far in advance does he tell people about the impending sale? Would I still be the unreasonable one if half his show floor is bikes that are sold but waiting to be picked up during the sale window?

Maybe it's an incentive from the manufacturer for a particular period only.

Nope, everything in the store is 10% off next weekend.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, since he mentioned the price with the discount, I would've found the same bike or equivalent at that price or lower at another location - online or otherwise.

Edit* 10% off? There's coupon codes for better than that for most places.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ehh there are all kinds of accounting and tax reasons that small businesses have to shift sales around. Maybe he's reacting to a wholesaler or manufacturer incentive "sell Y number of X brand in a given week and we'll kick something back?"

There's a difference between unreasonable and just not up for explaining the reason to someone he's already doing a favor for.

You can buy a good bike at a good price. Don't pass it up because you're huffy.

Oct 25, 2017
China
He wants the store busy on promotion day to intice other buyers. Dont be unreasonable and support the indie retailers. Your being paid $70 after all.

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

Agree to disagree. If I was running a business I'd prefer to have a showroom full of items people can actually buy than to hold onto items I've already sold.

He wants the store busy on promotion day to intice other buyers. Dont be unreasonable and support the indie retailers. Your being paid $70 after all.

I seriously doubt watching me spend thirty seconds paying off the remaining balance and leaving the store is going to convince anyone else to spend money.

timmbp

Oct 25, 2017
Just because it's a small shop doesn't mean he can do whatever he wants. Dude has other people to answer to as well.

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Just because it's a small shop doesn't mean he can do whatever he wants. Dude has other people to answer to as well.

Dude owns the store, not sure who these other people would be.

Personally, since he mentioned the price with the discount, I would've found the same bike or equivalent at that price or lower at another location - online or otherwise.

Edit* 10% off? There's coupon codes for better than that for most places.

Nah, people are overblowing or misunderstanding my reaction. He's a super cool guy and while it is mildly annoying I really don't care much. Which should be clear, since, as I said in the OP, I'm buying the bike from him. Honestly I thought it was more funny than anything, since, and apparently I'm insane for thinking this, I still don't get how he benefits from having a bike taking up space in his shop until the arbitrary sale date.

I'd feel slimy going to a different shop after he spent so much time helping me find a bike that fit me and adjusting it for my height and stuff, and the price seems competitive. Not sure what you mean by "most places" but a Google search didn't pull up any coupons I could use anywhere for the bike.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
How about the time I took a spicy hot dog challenge and the bar owner disqualified me for eating the pepper on the side before the two-minute counter began?

I should get extra fucking credit for that. Man, I was pissed. He was unreasonable for sure

This guy sounds like he just wanted to give you a sale?

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK

Nah, people are overblowing or misunderstanding my reaction. He's a super cool guy and while it is mildly annoying I really don't care much. Which should be clear, since, as I said in the OP, I'm buying the bike from him. Honestly I thought it was more funny than anything, since, and apparently I'm insane for thinking this, I still don't get how he benefits from having a bike taking up space in his shop until the arbitrary sale date.

I'd feel slimy going to a different shop after he spent so much time helping me find a bike that fit me and adjusting it for my height and stuff, and the price seems competitive. Not sure what you mean by "most places" but a Google search didn't pull up any coupons I could use anywhere for the bike.

I get where you are coming from but you labelled the guy as unreasonable. Would you have preferred he let you take it same day for full price rather than structure the transaction to save you 70 dollars?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017

First thing I do is shop around. It's possible that store had the lowest price for that particular bike but I highly doubt that. I'm a penny-pincher tho. I don't even like spending an extra 1$ if I don't have to. It sounds like you got really great service there of course and I'd prob. feel a bit bad too lol I also have no clue why they would do a sale like that. My local bike shop often has many bikes that have the 'Sold' poster hanging off them. So this seems like it might be common enough.

I only go into my local place for a new tube if I have to. Usually I just go to the Dollar Store and buy a patch kit for 50 cents. :)

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017
Some manufacturers set strict limits on retail pricing. He could potentially lose the entire line by breaking the sale date if someone found out.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
OP, the dude is doing you a favor offering you the sale price if you wait. No need to whine about it. I'm sure he has his reasons. If nothing else this way he gets full price out of impatient customers.

You want to talk unreasonable? A local game store offered a discount on Halloween if you came in in costume. I showed up in my Ash Ketchum costume (which admittedly wasn't very elaborate: jeans, blue jacket, black shirt, and a hat with a hand-drawn green swoosh thing on it) and the owner said it wasn't good enough. Dude didn't give me the discount.

Oct 29, 2017
This is pretty common with stores where they do a "pre-sale", not sure what's so unreasonable about it. Dude probably can't go below MAP (minimum advertised price) if it's not during sale or something.

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
business partners, distributors, creditors, the tax man, etc.

How would his creditors or the "tax man" know? I didn't think it was necessary to explain the guy's backstory but he's retired (I guess that's debatable since he now owns a store, but he considers himself retired anyway), biking was always a hobby and the impression I got was he opened the store just to keep himself busy. He's the owner/ operator, he doesn't have business partners.

Distributors would have been a fine explanation, but as I've explained that's not the case here, he has a periodic sale (not completely sure but I think it's quarterly) where everything in the store is 10% off.

I get where you are coming from but you labelled the guy as unreasonable. Would you have preferred he let you take it same day for full price rather than structure the transaction to save you 70 dollars?

Like I said, if I owned the store I would view it like "This bike is sold, no one can buy it, I have a small store, the sale is mere days away, what do I gain from holding on to this in the meantime?" And I'm not worried about this at all, but in addition to there being no upside on his part that I can see he's technically running the risk of the bike being stolen before I pick it up, or damaged by another customer, or me finding a better deal within the week time period. What if another customer came in and also fell in love with the bike and offered to pay full price? I think it'd be shitty of him to sell it he's already agreed to sell it to me. But why hold onto if he won't let anyone else buy it?

I appreciate him doing it. I meant unreasonable as in "I don't get his logic," I don't think he's being unfair or anything like that. And like I said, I thought it was more amusing than anything. I was expecting reactions to more along the lines of "Oh yeah, that is kind of goofy." If I was that bothered by it I wouldn't be buying the bike from him. Just struck me as odd.

This is pretty common with stores where they do a "pre-sale", not sure what's so unreasonable about it. Dude probably can't go below MAP (minimum advertised price) if it's not during sale or something.

What would be stopping him?

Some manufacturers set strict limits on retail pricing. He could potentially lose the entire line by breaking the sale date if someone found out.

Clearly they're fine with him doing blanket sales of 10% off everything he carries. Not sure why they would dictate specific dates he is allowed to do this, and it seems very unlikely he'd be able to coordinate dates that every manufacturer whose products he carries is appeased.

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I can't believe I actually looked this up since it seems obvious, butbike manufacturers don't set prices for stores. Some of you guys are ridiculous. Maybe you've never been to a bike store but most sell used bikes as well.

Some manufacturers get pissed when their products get sold below MAP and either make trouble or stop selling their product to that store.

I'm not saying that's definitely the reason but it could be one. The guy's not being an asshole just to fuck with you lol. Why would he do that?

You'll have to point out where I insinuated he was an asshole. I've stated multiple times I really liked him.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he seems unreasonable, not on purpose though, like his brain was getting confused or something. He was trying to be nice with you by selling you at a lower price today but the store owner by not lleting you get it out before the date, and then his brain crashed.

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah he seems unreasonable, not on purpose though, like his brain was getting confused or something. He was trying to be nice with you by selling you at a lower price today but the store owner by not lleting you get it out before the date, and then his brain crashed.

Thank you, that's how I felt. Super chill guy, extremely nice and helpful. When I said "Won't the bike just be sitting here for a week?" he just said "Yeah!" in a tone like "Where else would it be?" If his hands were tied that'd be completely fine, but it's like he didn't get why I would think it's strange. Even if he doesn't want to divulge the exact rules he has to abide by it's one thing to say "Yeah, I know it's silly, but that's how I'd have to do it" and another to act like I'm being weird for suggesting it's a little arbitrary.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's an example of entitlement lol. I understand how you think it makes no difference, but the store-owner doesn't owe you anything, probably hates you now, but was just trying to help you out. They want to keep their prices and sales organized. It would look weird if the owner gave you a discount today, but didn't give the same discount to the next customer - it'd be like he's running the sale for favorites or a week early if he gave it to everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you, that's how I felt. Super chill guy, extremely nice and helpful. When I said "Won't the bike just be sitting here for a week?" he just said "Yeah!" in a tone like "Where else would it be?" If his hands were tied that'd be completely fine, but it's like he didn't get why I would think it's strange. Even if he doesn't want to divulge the exact rules he has to abide by it's one thing to say "Yeah, I know it's silly, but that's how I'd have to do it" and another to act like I'm being weird for suggesting it's a little arbitrary.

Yeah, he just probably wasn't expecting you to ask if you could't take it now and that confused him.

And im surprised at some of the responses, you can get discounts at a lot of stores everytime, even big chain stores.

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
That's an example of entitlement lol. I understand how you think it makes no difference, but the store-owner doesn't owe you anything, probably hates you now, but was just trying to help you out. They want to keep their prices and sales organized. It would look weird if the owner gave you a discount today, but didn't give the same discount to the next customer - it'd be like he's running the sale for favorites or a week early if he gave it to everyone.

Haha! Not sure why everyone is being so ridiculous about this. I spent like three and a half hours at the store, a lot of it spent talking to this guy. He'd pull a bike down, adjust it to my height, have me peddle it in place so he could fine-tune it, he actually rode around the block with me once to see what my posture was like. We were talking about random stuff the whole time while he was making adjustment or rechaining a bike up or whatever. As I've repeated many times he super chill, I'm going back to him for any repairs, I'm going to buy a helmet and some other stuff when I go back on Friday. I'm paraphrasing a bit here but the entire conversation was basically:

"I'd love to sell you the bike now, but just so you know there's a store-wide sale next week and this bike will be $70 off. I can sell it now for full price or if you don't mind waiting you can put a deposit down and pick it up Friday."

"Oh, OK. Uh, so you'll just have it here until then?"

"Yeah, I'll put a "Sold" sign on it, it'll go back up on the rack and if you want to come test-ride it again you're more than welcome."

"Oh, alright, I was just thinking if it's just going to sit here anyway you might be willing to give me the discount now."

"Well, the sale starts next Friday, so that's when the signs will go up and we'll be advertising it."

"Alright then, I guess I'll see you Friday then."

Followed by another ten minutes of talking about random stuff as I paid the deposit and he walked me out.

Even without a play-by-play, you assume he hates me... why exactly?

As far as it looking weird for him to give me the discount early, are you regularly told by store owners that you can purchase something for a discount a few days later? Not at a chain store, but by the store owner of a mom and pop? Because I shop locally often and it's a first to me, which qualifies it as "weird" by my personal definition.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would assume there's some sort of back end technicality w/ his suppliers and a possible promotion and say "oh thanks for the heads up."

Nothing about his behavior is weird coming from working for large retail chains.

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I would assume there's some sort of back end technicality w/ his suppliers and a possible promotion and say "oh thanks for the heads up."

Nothing about his behavior is weird coming from working for large retail chains.

I agree, it would be perfectly normal... coming from a large retail chain.

You are the one in the wrong.

I'm ask him to forgive me when I pick the bike up, hopefully I haven't callously ruined our relationship before it could properly begin with my entitlement.

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
Ehh there are all kinds of accounting and tax reasons that small businesses have to shift sales around. Maybe he's reacting to a wholesaler or manufacturer incentive "sell Y number of X brand in a given week and we'll kick something back?"

Yeah, I guess this is what's going on. Dude must have his reasons, or he would sell his stuff at full price given the chance.

Congratz on the bike dude, I want a new one but I'm kinda broke right now. XD

Jan 29, 2018
He just saved you 70 bucks be greatfull how many shop owners tell their shoppers to come back when it's cheaper and offer to hold it for them

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I'm ask him to forgive me when I pick the bike up, hopefully I haven't callously ruined our relationship before it could properly begin with my entitlement.

I'm guessing you are being sarcastic....

You sound like a child.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Haha! Not sure why everyone is being so ridiculous about this. I spent like three and a half hours at the store, a lot of it spent talking to this guy. He'd pull a bike down, adjust it to my height, have me peddle it in place so he could fine-tune it, he actually rode around the block with me once to see what my posture was like. We were talking about random stuff the whole time while he was making adjustment or rechaining a bike up or whatever. As I've repeated many times he super chill, I'm going back to him for any repairs, I'm going to buy a helmet and some other stuff when I go back on Friday. I'm paraphrasing a bit here but the entire conversation was basically:

"I'd love to sell you the bike now, but just so you know there's a store-wide sale next week and this bike will be $70 off. I can sell it now for full price or if you don't mind waiting you can put a deposit down and pick it up Friday."

"Oh, OK. Uh, so you'll just have it here until then?"

"Yeah, I'll put a "Sold" sign on it, it'll go back up on the rack and if you want to come test-ride it again you're more than welcome."

"Oh, alright, I was just thinking if it's just going to sit here anyway you might be willing to give me the discount now."

"Well, the sale starts next Friday, so that's when the signs will go up and we'll be advertising it."

"Alright then, I guess I'll see you Friday then."

Followed by another ten minutes of talking about random stuff as I paid the deposit and he walked me out.

Even without a play-by-play, you assume he hates me... why exactly?

As far as it looking weird for him to give me the discount early, are you regularly told by store owners that you can purchase something for a discount a few days later? Not at a chain store, but by the store owner of a mom and pop? Because I shop locally often and it's a first to me, which qualifies it as "weird" by my personal definition.

I was joking about him hating you, unless you were really trying to haggle but seems that's not the case.

I'm just saying: if he gave you the discount a week early - it'd be fucked up if he didn't give it to everyone. He was doing you a favor letting you know that you could save some money if you wait for that promotional period. He is within his power to give you $70 or even $200 off if he wanted to, but the negatives don't outweigh the benefits for him. Especially if you went and posted the discount on Yelp or FB - then some other people came in the store asking for a discount and showed him your social media, ya know.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's doing you a favour, plus if you start playing fast and loose with the accounts when you're a small business it will bite you in the arse.

There's nothing unreasonable about it at all.

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
He just saved you 70 bucks be greatfull how many shop owners tell their shoppers to come back when it's cheaper and offer to hold it for them

Think I've repeated this enough at this point but since no one seems to be reading the thread:

I am grateful.

I like the guy a lot.

I'm going back to him for repairs.

I'm already planning on buying more stuff from him when I pick the bike up.

Unless I've moved away from the area the next bike I buy will be from him.

I'm not all that bothered by the situation, just thought it was a funny and odd interaction and that other people may have similar situations they could share.

I'm guessing you are being sarcastic....

You sound like a child.

Explain to me how I'm "in the wrong."

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Business is business, small stores can have the same promotional/rebate terms as large ones.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Think I've repeated this enough at this point but since no one seems to be reading the thread:

I am grateful.

I like the guy a lot.

I'm going back to him for repairs.

I'm already planning on buying more stuff from him when I pick the bike up.

Unless I've moved away from the area the next bike I buy will be from him.

I'm not all that bothered by the situation, just thought it was a funny and odd interaction and that other people may have similar situations they could share.

Explain to me how I'm "in the wrong."

Everyone else already has.

Go and buy your bike. Enjoy it. Have fun.