• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 110527

Mar 11, 2022
hoooooooooooooly shit i am hella excited to watch this when i get off work!! Noclip always brings the goods

LuciusAxelrod

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Doom 4 looks terrible! Everything from the snail's pace movement, to imps taking 3 shotgun blasts to die, to totally blinding the player for several seconds after taking a hit. It's like an FPS from my nightmares.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Doom 4 looked a bit slow, but I appreciate the horror aspects it looks like it was going for. Something 2016 and Eternal completely lost.

And I think I much prefer the enemy design from Doom 4, or at least the section with the Doom 4 assets showing off what would be Doom 2016 gameplay. I've never been a fan of the Doom 2016/Eternal enemy designs.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just surprised they didn't keep any of the designs for monsters or for generic grunts

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
If you told me that Doom 4 footage was cancelled Doom-themed DLC for Rage, I'd believe you lol. And thats ignoring what sounds like the score from that game being used as temp audio

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so glad they scrapped this and we ended up with 2016 and Eternal. One of those times where the right timeline won out.

Deleted member 110527

Mar 11, 2022
Yeah really looking forward to watching this. Love the NoClip on Doom 2016

yes, that was a joy to watch. as someone who's been a lifelong fan of id and has dived pretty deep into their history, it's cool to see a new group of personalities emerge from it while still making such quality games.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I'm glad we got 2016 instead but it still would have been cool to see them take another crack at the Horror angle. Really enjoyed 3 when I finally got around to playing it

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, whether some of that stuff in Doom 4 would have been changed down the line... its a really bad showing - from the awful screen effect when you get hit, to imps just acting really annoying to fight (constant teleporting) to weapons seemingly dealing bad damage. And the generic zombie? goon looked awful. Basically it looks like a generic FPS with dark areas to evoke "horror". The only horror is the proposition of playing that tech demo lol.
After people bounced off Doom 3 for being more "horror" (I actually loved Doom 3) I dont blame them for ultimately going the complete opposite direction for 2016. I love that game even more, so at least for me it was the right choice.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I prefer the Doom 2016 that we got but I'd still have played that scrapped version and wouldn´t mind a spin off or new IP with a grounded take on a demonic invasion. Could be fun.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
So happy they scrapped that. The OG concept Doom 4 was everything I hated about the 7th gen and how homogenized every game was.

Military theme - check
Brown aesthetic- check
4 weapon load out - check
Regenerating health - check
Same generic weapons found in every game - check

Doom 2016 was incredible and it kickstarted fun FPS games again.

Oct 27, 2017
So happy they scrapped that. The OG concept Doom 4 was everything I hated about the 7th gen and how homogenized every game was.

Military theme - check
Brown aesthetic- check

Totally agree, but I'll nitpick a bit, that Wolfenstein: The New Order in 2014 appropriately enough for the grandfather of modern FPS kicked things back in the right direction before Doom solidified it. But neither here nor there, Doom 2016 was fun as fuck. I loved Eternal even more, absolutely sublime game.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Totally agree, but I'll nitpick a bit, that Wolfenstein: The New Order in 2014 appropriately enough for the grandfather of modern FPS kicked things back in the right direction before Doom solidified it. But neither here nor there, Doom 2016 was fun as fuck. I loved Eternal even more, absolutely sublime game.
I agree. I have TNO in my backlog and need to play it. Loved TNC, but TNO is definitely on my list. It also has a meaty story mode which was kinda rare to see in an fps game in 2014.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm really glad they changed direction and stripped back the story for Doom '16, and really sorry they u-turned and made Doom Eternal a total lore wank.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
I agree. I have TNO in my backlog and need to play it. Loved TNC, but TNO is definitely on my list. It also has a meaty story mode which was kinda rare to see in an fps game in 2014.

Kinda envy you, TNC was great, but TNO was even better. The first level is a bit of a rocky start, but it quickly becomes *insanely* good after that. Not a short game either for an FPS as I recall.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
rA22myE.png

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
If that Doom 4 had been released, it would be officially the worst shotgun ever. Even worse than Doom 3's.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
That super shotgun's.... everything hurt me on a spiritual level.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, the Call of Duty comparisons that were rumored back in the day were right on the money. Basically they were going for Doom 3 + COD4....and it looked boring as hell.

Military theme - check
Brown aesthetic- check

Agree completely. Latter half of the PS360 era was probably my least-favorite era for games during my lifetime. The rise of indie games and the tiny trickle of interesting games managing to still come out of Japan were the only saving graces.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Still sad we never got a real RAGE 2. The original is one of my top 3 favorite FPS to play. (the others are FEAR and... Well, probably Timesplitters 2.)

Military theme - check
Brown aesthetic- check

But DOOM was always military themed!

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to know what they had in mind for the story of Doom 4 after the greater story focus in 3.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Going from the dynamic lighting of DOOM 3 to practically none in 4 would've certainly been an interesting thing to do.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, the Call of Duty comparisons that were rumored back in the day were right on the money. Basically they were going for Doom 3 + COD4....and it looked boring as hell.

Agree completely. Latter half of the PS360 era was probably my least-favorite era for games during my lifetime. The rise of indie games and the tiny trickle of interesting games managing to still come out of Japan were the only saving graces.
Yup. Same exact boat as you. I remember the dark days of the digital storefronts which rarely had a decent indie game. Castle Crashers and Scott Pilgram were few and extremely far between. We've come a looooony way from getting either poor quality flash games or simplified single screen pre NES style games.