• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
twitter.com

Official_GDC on Twitter

“Untitled Goose Game nabs Game of the Year at the 2020 Game Developers Choice Awards! https://t.co/P7XkGiXEYA”

Congrats to House House!

k9wl9ypumyp31.png

Here are the other winners:

Best Audio

Control(Remedy Entertainment/505 Games)

Best Debut

ZA/UM (Disco Elysium)

Best Design

Baba is You (Hempuli)

Best Mobile Game

What the Golf? (Triband/The Label Limited)

Innovation Award

Baba is You (Hempuli)

Best Narrative

Disco Elysium (ZA/UM)

Best Technology

Control (Remedy Entertainment/505 Games)

Best Visual Art

Control (Remedy Entertainment/505 Games)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Look, I like the goose. It's cute. Love the memes. Good stuff.

But this isn't even a good game! It has to give you a full list of objectives because of how at odds the player instinct is from the actual design! I love small games. I love quirky games. This game just ain't it, folks. We're gonna look back and wonder what the hell the GDC was thinking.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Game was sublime and one of the few titles last year that felt wholly original. Extremely well deserved.

Edit: Nice to see Baba is You won a few awards as well. Had the best balance of challenge and satisfaction of any puzzle game I've played in awhile.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017

But this isn't even a good game! It has to give you a full list of objectives because of how at odds the player instinct is from the actual design! I love small games. I love quirky games. This game just ain't it, folks. We're gonna look back and wonder what the hell the GDC was thinking.
Any game that lists objectives is bad? What?

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
It has to give you a full list of objectives because of how at odds the player instinct is from the actual design!

This is wildly out of step with my own experience. In fact, I got several of the "hidden" post-game objectives before they were revealed to me just by naturally doing shit that I thought would be funny/fun.

The objectives don't seem like a necessary crutch at all. They just seem like a nice tool for people who prefer a more structured experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Any game that lists objectives is bad? What?

The objectives don't seem like a necessary crutch at all. They just seem like a nice tool for people who prefer a more structured experience.

Oh of course not. I enjoy the Hitman series. However, let's take the full quote

It has to give you a full list of objectives because of how at odds the player instinct is from the actual design!

The things the player naturally wants to do as the Goose: Running and honking.
The things the game actually makes you do: Crouching around and slowly taking things.

I love stealth games. This is a bad stealth game. And it's objectives are so random, so completely separate from the actual enjoyment of controlling the goose, they MUST be directly communicated. It feels like an idea that never had time to coalesce into a game. And as such, it is remarkably disengaging.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Oh of course not. I enjoy the Hitman series. However, let's take the full quote

I was responding to the idea that it was "at odds with player instinct." My point was that it wasn't at odds with my instincts or desires at all, since I did things that seemed fun to me and got rewarded for them by the game. I never felt like I was twisting myself into knots to meet the game's expectations. One of the best things about it, imho, is how perfectly the tools that the game gives you correspond with what's actually fun and satisfying to do. And I say this as someone who usually hates stealth portions in games. (Breath of the Wild is one of my favorite games ever, but I fucking loathed the Yiga Hideout and how it stripped away BotW's "solve this problem however you'd live" ethos and replaced it with obnoxiously constrained sneaking around.)

The things the player naturally wants to do as the Goose: Running and honking.
The things the game actually makes you do: Crouching around and slowly taking things.

I wanted to do all of those things, and was rewarded by the game for doing different ones at different times. There are multiple objectives that can be achieved primarily through running and honking.

And it's objectives are so random, so completely separate from the actual enjoyment of controlling the goose, they MUST be directly communicated. It feels like an idea that never had time to coalesce into a game. And as such, it is remarkably disengaging.

Not sure what to say, since this is obviously your honest experience with playing the game, but mine was the polar opposite. I was like, "Thank Christ, finally a game that wants to reward me for doing things that I inherently want to do and find intrinsically fun."

That said, there was one objective late in the game that I solved in a really obtuse and silly way and I was annoyed when the game didn't give me credit for it, but otherwise I felt completely empowered to play the way I wanted to.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Thank you for letting us know that you do not like the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Not sure what to say, since this is obviously your honest experience with playing the game, but mine was the polar opposite. I was like, "Thank Christ, finally a game that wants to reward me for doing things that I inherently want to do and find intrinsically fun."

Yeah yeah, right on. I guess it's a bit like music, either you love it or it's just background noise - and it's often hard to describe to someone why it works so well or it doesn't. So I'm baffled by the positive response and awards but happy the small team is enjoying a bit of a rest after years of work.

Thank you for letting us know that you do not like the game.

Your welcome. But I almost forget to mention, I do not like the game.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Congrats to House House and Panic. Well deserved.

I legit thought this post was mocking the other posts until you doubled down.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well at least they didn't do something stupid like announce Mario Kart Tour as Best Racing Title.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
People are embarrassing themselves. You're fine to think this game deserves goty: it's incredibly refreshing and charming. Not to mention it's probably way more helpful for indie devs to be awarded rather than large AAA studios.

That doesn't mean people can't be allowed to not like the game. The fact that a post that competently describes their thoughts is met with hostility and dismissal is ridiculous.

And if we're being honest, just saying "HONK" in regards to this game winning goty is almost begging for people to write it off as one giant meme.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Wow and already we have people trying to downplay this game's success. You can not agree with it winning the award but you don't have to go into a paragraph explaining why it doesn't deserve the praise its getting.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
People are embarrassing themselves. You're fine to think this game deserves goty: it's incredibly refreshing and charming. Not to mention it's probably way more helpful for indie devs to be awarded rather than large AAA studios.

That doesn't mean people can't be allowed to not like the game. The fact that a post that competently describes their thoughts is met with hostility and dismissal is ridiculous.

And if we're being honest, just saying "HONK" in regards to this game winning goty is almost begging for people to write it off as one giant meme.
Not a meme game, but #1 with people who like HONK memes.

Wow and already we have people trying to downplay this game's success. You can not agree with it winning the award but you don't have to go into a paragraph explaining why it doesn't deserve the praise its getting.
If people didn't expand on their opinions in this way, other posters would accuse them of shitposting. It's impossible to win.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Yeah yeah, right on. I guess it's a bit like music, either you love it or it's just background noise - and it's often hard to describe to someone why it works so well or it doesn't.

I hear you. (No pun intended.) This is probably doubly true of an unconventional game like this. It's hard to judge what you're in for and if you'll enjoy it because no one can tell you, "Oh yeah, it's just like [Game X]." This probably partially explains the polarized response in this thread.

Oct 27, 2017
I love the game but I wish it was longer. Great design, funny interactions, but too slight to leave lasting fulfillment. But it sure is fun for those three hours or so. I hope we get a sequel with a lot more content.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Love to also see Baba is You (my other favorite game of 2019) taking Best Design and the Innovation Award.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I personally don't agree and don't see the hype. I would've given GOTY to Tetris 99; an original take on a legendary game. And it actually lasts for more than a few hours :p

I am glad to see Aussie indie devs continuing to flourish, however.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Most critically acclaimed contemporary video games have a giant floating dot on your HUD showing you exactly where to go.

I fail to see what's so wrong about a game which asks you to complete challenges telling you what the challenge is. Figuring out how to accomplish the items on the list is the game. you're being way too reductive.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Winner at both the DiCE and GDCs, that's a good look for the game in a crowded field, especially for Indies in 2019. Well done House House, well deserved!

Opinions and all that, but maybe a double win at DICE and GDC will sway people.into thinking that maybe UGG is not actually an objectively bad video game if they don't enjoy it amd instead it might just not be for them. Although probably not.

Last edited:

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Good choice, Baba Is You, Untitled Goose Game (and Outer Wilds) are the best and original game designs of 2019.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Do people think this would have won Game of the Year if it wasn't for the memes? It just had those in place of a AAA marketing budget which is what usually settles awards like this, though, so all's fair I guess.

I'm definitely in the camp that enjoyed the idea of this game a lot more than the experience of it.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Haven't played the game personally but it must be quite the masterpiece to win over something like Disco Elysium. Is it really that good?

Congrats to all!