• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Supraland deserved this reward more than Goose game but nobody from the press even played it (and I doubt that many other developers played it) so it was expected to be ignored.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
but why

it's a fun game but there was so much incredible and genre defining stuff in 2019

nah, that's just a era made up thing. far stronger than 2018 and one of the best years of the generation.

A difference of opinion (held by MANY) is an Era made up thing? Totally wrong. The masses outside ERA would easily prefer 2018 over 2019 too (Red Dead II, Spider-Man, God of War, etc.).

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
but why

it's a fun game but there was so much incredible and genre defining stuff in 2019

nah, that's just a era made up thing. far stronger than 2018 and one of the best years of the generation.
2018 had God of War, RDR 2, Spider-Man...Among others. But I don't think anything else really needs to be said. The narrative of 2019 being a "meh" year is something I've heard on plenty of gaming podcasts. So it's certainly not an "Era" thing.

EDIT: On topic...I thought Goose Game was okay. Didn't make my top 10 from 2019, though.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
The goose won best character....
Casper Darling wasn't even nominated...

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Well deserved.

Congrats to the teams at House House and Panic for taking a risk with such a wild idea and nailing it. Haters must have no joy in their hearts.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I know I made the thread that's kind of poking at the fact that Mario Kart Tour won Best Racing but there are some very ignorant and childish posts in this thread.

Goose Game is a very well-designed game. It is interesting and incredibly fun and it skyrocketed to gaming pop culture relevance.

"Wow, 2019 sucked" and "This is sad!" are ignorant and stupid posts. Quit it.

Oct 25, 2017
A difference of opinion (held by MANY) is an Era made up thing? Totally wrong. The masses outside ERA would easily prefer 2018 over 2019 too (Red Dead II, Spider-Man, God of War, etc.).

There is no way that you can gauge what the "masses" think, so in the end it's just your opinion. Which is fine, but it's not any kind of consensus, so don't try to make it that

2018 had God of War, RDR 2, Spider-Man...Among others. But I don't think anything else really needs to be said. The narrative of 2019 being a "meh" year is something I've heard on plenty of gaming podcasts. So it's certainly not an "Era" thing.

EDIT: On topic...I thought Goose Game was okay. Didn't make my top 10 from 2019, though.

USA-centric podcasts and sites saying that 2019 was or not a "weak year" is not really any consensus. Era even less so. Outer Wilds and Disco Elysium make 2019 a better year than 2018 by themselves (and 2018 was a pretty good year too!)

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know I made the thread that's kind of poking at the fact that Mario Kart Tour won Best Racing but there are some very ignorant and childish posts in this thread.

Goose Game is a very well-designed game. It is interesting and incredibly fun and it skyrocketed to gaming pop culture relevance.

"Wow, 2019 sucked" and "This is sad!" are ignorant and stupid posts. Quit it.

I do think it's a terrible choice. And I think 2019 was super weak. I'm free to have that option, and it's not ignorant or childish.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Fantastic choice. Untitled Goose Game is not just the most unique game I've played in years, but it's a beautifully crafted piece of art that gripped me with every single aspect of it's total package. Graphics - beautiful, sound design - stunning, gameplay - novel and hilarious. Well deserved.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
There is no way that you can gauge what the "masses" think, so in the end it's just your opinion. Which is fine, but it's not any kind of consensus, so don't try to make it that

USA-centric podcasts and sites saying that 2019 was or not a "weak year" is not really any consensus. Era even less so. Outer Wilds and Disco Elysium make 2019 a better year than 2018 by themselves (and 2018 was a pretty good year too!)
I'm not sure what metric you wanna use to say 2019 was better...If you wanna argue that more "regular" folks liked 2019 more (to your point about consensus), that would certainly be wrong. Considering the amount of people who bought the AAA titles in 2018. Personally, the way I look at it - in 5 years, gaming media will look back and gloss over 2019. But 2018 and 2017 will be remembered for the amount of amazing games they had. 2019 just had lots of good games.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
360.jpg

I really do love everything about this game, memes included. :)

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic game. Well deserved. Sometimes less is more and Goose Game really demonstrates how far a charming concept and tight focus on a small number of systems can still be a GOTY tier experience.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what metric you wanna use to say 2019 was better...If you wanna argue that more "regular" folks liked 2019 more (to your point about consensus), that would certainly be wrong. Considering the amount of people who bought the AAA titles in 2018. Personally, the way I look at it - in 5 years, gaming media will look back and gloss over 2019. But 2018 and 2017 will be remembered for the amount of amazing games they had. 2019 just had lots of good games.

The metric is my opinion, just like everybody saying that 2019 was a "weak year" is also an opinion. There's no way to create any consensus there.

I also strongly disagree about 2018 being remembered as a strong year against 2019. 2019 had way more unique, interesting and important stuff.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

2019 is easily my favorite overall year in gaming in a hot minute. Most years I'm barely scraping together a list of 10 that I feel are even worth anything. 2019 had me cutting games from my top 10 list for the first time in years.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
The metric is my opinion, just like everybody saying that 2019 was a "weak year" is also an opinion. There's no way to create any consensus there.

I also strongly disagree about 2018 being remembered as a strong year against 2019. 2019 had way more unique, interesting and important stuff.
That is fair then. I just don't see those experiences in 2019. I have yet to play Disco Elysium (at the top of my list). But the rest of the stuff - Goose, RE:2, DMC 5, KH3, Poke'mon: Sword, Yoshi, Fire Emblem - all just ran from good to great for me. And some were just massively disappointing.

2019 is easily my favorite overall year in gaming in a hot minute. Most years I'm barely scraping together a list of 10 that I feel are even worth anything. 2019 had me cutting games from my top 10 list for the first time in years.

Yeah...Difference in opinion I guess. Like I mentioned above, 2019 didn't do much for me. Probably the least memorable year for games since 2014 for me.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
I've a feeling this will quickly turn into a millennial x Boomer situation.

If u ask me, a little over the top this award. I mean, it's a good game and a funny meme, but that's not enough to make GOTY...

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Goty winner is fine , but the category winners are awful.

But Control winning best Action game over DMC5 and Sekiro..... Just ... what ?

Fallen order for best adventure game ? Why is there such a huge western bias in the awards.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently any given game of the year award can only be one of four possible games, or people get extremely upset. Deserved, I wouldn't pick a AAA game either.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic. The team must be proud.

Edit: OOF some embarrassing posts already

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I don't care about awards or whatever, but Goose Game was like THE most boring thing I played this year. It was cute for about 15 minutes.

It's neat that something this small won though. I prefer experimental weird shit to typical AAA cinematic games tbh

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
Resident Evil 2, Sekiro, Death Stranding, DMC5, etc...

Nope, the goose game.

When the meme becomes all that matters.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
All these ranting posts about "journalists" and press not playing, and memes being the only thing that wins. DICE is voted on my members of the industry, game developers and publishers. This isn't a fan vote. This is what game makers believed the game of the year was. There are a ton of other awards that are fan voted, or press based, or whatever. I love having this perspective, and I find it especially interesting when it's different from "consensus" picks.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Here are the rest of the Winners:
Game of the Year

Control

Death Stranding

Disco Elysium

Outer Wilds

Untitled Goose Game (Winner)

Action Game of the Year

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

Control (Winner)

Devil May Cry 5

Gears 5

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Adventure Game of the Year

Death Stranding

Luigi's Mansion 3

Resident Evil 2

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Winner)

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Family Game of the Year

A Short Hike

Dragon Quest Builders 2

Ring Fit Adventure

Super Mario Maker 2 (Winner)

Yoshi's Crafted World

Fighting Game of the Year

Dead or Alive 6

Jump Force

Mortal Kombat 11 (Winner)

Samurai Shodown

Racing Game of the Year

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled

DiRT Rally 2.0

F1 2019

Mario Kart Tour (Winner)

Trials Rising

Role-Playing Game of the Year

Disco Elysium

Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers

Kingdom Hearts III

Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield

The Outer Worlds (Winner)

Sports Game of the Year

FIFA 20 (Winner)

Madden NFL 20

MLB the Show 19

NBA 2k20

NHL 20

Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year

Anno 1800

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Winner)

Oxygen Not Included

Slay the Spire

Total War: Three Kingdoms

Immersive Reality Technical Achievement

Asgard's Wrath

Blood & Truth (Winner)

Pistol Whip

Stormland

Westworld Awakening

Immersive Reality Game of the Year

Asgard's Wrath

Blood & Truth

Pistol Whip (Winner)

The Curious Tale of the Stolen Pets

Trover Saves the Universe

Outstanding Achievement for an Independent Game

A Short Hike

Disco Elysium

Sayonara Wild Hearts

Untitled Goose Game (Winner)

What the Golf?

Portable Game of the Year

Call of Duty: Mobile

Grindstone

Sayonara Wild Hearts (Winner)

Sky: Children of the Light

What the Golf?

Online Game of the Year

Apex Legends (Winner)

Destiny 2: Shadowkeep

Tetris 99

Wargroove

Outstanding Achievement in Game Design

Baba Is You (Winner)

Disco Elysium

Outer Wilds

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Slay the Spire

Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction

A Short Hike

Control (Winner)

Disco Elysium

Outer Wilds

Untitled Goose Game

Outstanding Achievement in Animation

Days Gone

Death Stranding

Devil May Cry 5

Luigi's Mansion 3 (Winner)

Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction

Concrete Genie

Control (Winner)

Death Stranding

Resident Evil 2

Outstanding Achievement in Character

Control (Jesse Faden)

Death Stranding (Cliff Unger)

Death Stranding (Sam Porter Bridges)

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Greez)

Untitled Goose Game (The Goose) (Winner)

Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition

Arise: A Simple Story

Control (Winner)

Erica

Golem

Mortal Kombat 11

Outstanding Achievement in Audio Design

Death Stranding (Winner)

Mortal Kombat 11

Resident Evil 2

Sayonara Wild Hearts

Outstanding Achievement in Story

Control

Disco Elysium (Winner)

Outer Wilds

Telling Lies

The Outer Worlds

Outstanding Technical Achievement

Concrete Genie

Control

Death Stranding (Winner)

Metro Exodus

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Say what you will, but Goose Game captured the cultural zeitgeist hard. I've not seen so many people talking about a game in a long time. People adored it whether they played it or not.

And between that and being such a delightfully original idea, I can understand somewhat why it won this as a "developer" award.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
All these ranting posts about "journalists" and press not playing, and memes being the only thing that wins. DICE is voted on my members of the industry, game developers and publishers. This isn't a fan vote. This is what game makers believed the game of the year was. There are a ton of other awards that are fan voted, or press based, or whatever. I love having this perspective, and I find it especially interesting when it's different from "consensus" picks.

And those same industry members often say how they don't have too much time to play games. There were a lot more better choices but it is what it is.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil 2, Sekiro, Death Stranding, DMC5, etc...

Nope, the goose game.

When the meme becomes all that matters.

I enjoyed UGG more than RE2 or Sekiro and DMC5 was awesome but really just a refinement of what has come before. The only game on your list that was genuinely innovative was Death Stranding and plenty of people loathe it.

There's absolutely no reason why something as unique as UGG shouldn't be GOTY.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Not even close to game of the year. It's a good game, and has produced cute memes, but this feels more like a popularity contest winner.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
I enjoyed UGG more than RE2 or Sekiro and DMC5 was awesome but really just a refinement of what has come before. The only game on your list that was genuinely innovative was Death Stranding and plenty of people loathe it.

There's absolutely no reason why something as unique as UGG shouldn't be GOTY.

There's one reason. It's not the game of the year. I can enjoy a lot of games more than most AAA, but I know they're not the GOTY.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Goty winner is fine , but the category winners are awful.

But Control winning best Action game over DMC5 and Sekiro..... Just ... what ?

Fallen order for best adventure game ? Why is there such a huge western bias in the awards.
DICE almost always has a Western bias because it's voted on by mostly US developers. Which is why Goose Game winning is a nice thing actually, because it would not be a friends vote.
Although Control winning best action game and Fallen Order best adventure is not particularly strange. That (close to) happened here as well.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Days Gone
Death Stranding
Devil May Cry 5

What?

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Well deserved win for Untitled Goose Game and House House. Nice to see recognition from people in the industry.

As expected, there's a lot of people here saying it won only because of the memes and I'm just assuming they either haven't played the game or were stanning super hard for their favourite that they can't see the forest for the trees.

UGG achieves everything it sets out to do in the game to a very high level with pretty much zero waste. It's a good lesson in focusing on one idea and getting it spot on. It's also a rather amusing game.

Days Gone
Death Stranding
Devil May Cry 5

What?
Luigi's Mansion 3 is a beautiful looking game and the animations are excellent, I see nothing wrong with that selection?

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Honk!

Honestly, what I am more surprised, is that a game that falls more on the comedy side won. I don't think I can recall last time a game that relied more on humor than drama/serious stuff won. Portal 2, maybe?

Last edited:

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
If you're counting PR and marketing sure..

Also no goty candidate was particularly outstanding this year

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
Goose Game is a charming game and I enjoyed my time playing it but it's not a game I'd have considered for game of the year personally. That said I'm happy to see an Australian made game win an award like this so congrats to the team at House House.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Was 2019 really that bad? Damn.
Shut up, the game is crazy good, with a tight a very focused design and it's pure unadulterated FUN.

Remember when games weren't a secon job? Or a "press-the-analog-stick.while-this-off-screen-narration-explains-the-conecpt-of-love-to-you" game? They were fun.

Last edited: