• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Had a thread on Monday about my car accident. Guy hit me when I was stopped at the light. He was taking a right and over turned and hit me.

GEICO called me today and told me my car is totaled.. they will cut me a check once I sign. The check is double than what I was expecting but they took out $1,000 for deductible. I feel like I shouldn't sign yet because I shouldn't have to pay the deductible when the accident wasn't my fault at all. But I needed a rental that same day and insurance guy told me that was the only option so I can get a rental. If I would have fought it with the other persons insurance company it could have been days for a rental.

So I'm other words what do you think I should do? I mean the check is a lot more than I was expecting and the faster I sign the faster I can get my check since I only have my rental covered until the 5th(next Saturday) and need to get another car pretty soon.
But can possibly get extra $1,000 if I can have them talk to each other's insurance but that could take awhile..if that's even an option at this point

my first accident so fucking confused lol

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
you should not pay deductible if you're found not at fault. do you have a police report or something documenting that?

edit: as others below have said, you may have to pay it upfront and then your insurance will go after the other driver's insurance and reimburse you

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you can do anything about the deductible, that's in your coverage. There are usually options with no deductible but they cost more money. It is what is, get your check and get a new car

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
you should not pay deductible if you're found not at fault. do you have a police report or something documenting that?
The deductible is there for a reason--you pay it any time you go through your own company.

Depending on your state, you may get the deductible back via subrogation, but that's a process that takes time and cooperation from the other side.

Here's State Farm's page on subrogation, for example: https://www.statefarm.com/claims/auto/subrogation-deductible-recovery

Oct 27, 2017
Talk to the other drivers insurance company and see what they will pay out. If the other insurance company pays, then obviously you don't have to worry about the deductible but they may arrive at a different estimate.

Generally, you compare the estimate that each insurance company gives minus the deductible from your own insurance.

It's all a bunch of running around and phone calling bullshit but that's the process.

Oct 27, 2017

The deductible is there for a reason--you pay it any time you go through your own company.

Depending on your state, you may get the deductible back via subrogation, but that's a process that takes time and cooperation from the other side.

Here's State Farm's page on subrogation, for example: https://www.statefarm.com/claims/auto/subrogation-deductible-recovery

This is likely the answer. Until the other driver's insurance pays out, you will almost certainly be responsible for the deductible. When your insurer subrogates (re: sues) the other insurer/driver and is compensated for the payout, then you will be reimbursed for your deductible.

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
Depending on the laws, you should be able to get reimbursed for the deductible. It happened to me before. I just had to wait a couple months for the reimbursement check.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Op next time you renew your insurance, get a lower deductible for scenarios like this. I pay a little more per month for my insurance but my deductible is only $200.

You might get your deductible back after your insurance is reimbursed by the at fault driver's insurance.

scurker

Oct 25, 2017

This.

You filed through your insurance, you pay for the deductible. If you filed through the offending party's insurance you would not have to pay for the deductible.

Since it sounds like you have GEICO, they do have a payment recovery process - you could probably call and ask about this to ensure that they're aware and you should eventually be reimbursed if the other party is at fault.

Oct 30, 2017
My wife had a similar accident. We paid the deductible up front and my insurance company went after the other driver. Low and behold, her insurance was expired and my insurance company ended up going after her and sent info to the state DOT to revoke her license. They ended up getting her to pay weekly until the deductible was paid back to us, but went after her for the cost of the repairs, in the range of $7000.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Op next time you renew your insurance, get a lower deductible for scenarios like this. I pay a little more per month for my insurance but my deductible is only $200.

You might get your deductible back after your insurance is reimbursed by the at fault driver's insurance.
What is the difference between having a higher deductible or a lower deductible?

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
What is the difference between having a higher deductible or a lower deductible?
When you go through your insurance you pay your deductible first then your insurance covers the rest. If you're not at fault you get reimbursed the deductible eventually but after your insurance gets it from the at fault person.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
If shit goes wrong, it's the difference between paying $400 up front instead of $1000.
When you go through your insurance you pay your deductible first then your insurance covers the rest. If you're not at fault you get reimbursed the deductible eventually but after your insurance gets it from the at fault person.
I see. Then I gotta start saving up some emergency deductibles in my savings account.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Mine was deducted out of my car.. like so they want to give me $8,900 right now but with that deductible makes it a check for me for $7,900.. I mean I thought my car was only worth $3,500 to $4,000 max so not bad but annoying trying to figure this out
That doesn't sound too bad, but maybe if you plan to buy a different used car, you might have some troubles. I've heard the used cars market is impacted heavily, such that the prices of the used cars are higher than before. $8,000 might not be enough.
Your health insurance also probably has some sort of deductible, I'd make sure you check that out too.
Will do.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. If it's not your fault, their insurance should be paying for it. You shouldn't have a deductible, bruh. Unless you just have to pay it and they'll reimburse you, but you should be asking them that question, not us.

You shouldn't be on the hook for anything here.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in a similar situation. My neighbor sideswiped my parked car. She admitted to it and gave us her insurance info. I called Geico and they told me the neighbor is not answering their calls.

So I called my insurance and they told me to put the claim in through them and they'd then go after Geico. Just paid my $500 deductible and I guess I have to wait for subrogation to play out.

Am I likely to get my money back? We own our house and neighbor rents. We don't really know them and they are annoying (smoke weed on their porch during the day, pretty sure the one guy sells drugs). I'd rather just let the insurance companies deal with it if possible.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. If it's not your fault, their insurance should be paying for it. You shouldn't have a deductible, bruh. Unless you just have to pay it and they'll reimburse you, but you should be asking them that question, not us.

You shouldn't be on the hook for anything here.
You're paying your insurance company to do the work for you. If you file with the other insurance company, nothing comes out of your pocket.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
You're paying your insurance company to do the work for you. If you file with the other insurance company, nothing comes out of your pocket.

And if it wasn't his fault, he should've filed with the other company, no?

All I know is, every accident I've ever had that wasn't my fault, I didn't pay anything out of pocket.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
And if it wasn't his fault, he should've filed with the other company, no?

All I know is, every accident I've ever had that wasn't my fault, I didn't pay anything out of pocket.
He could have, but he didn't have to. It's certainly more leg work for yourself if you file with the other company.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
He could have, but he didn't have to. It's certainly more leg work for yourself if you file with the other company.

I don't remember it ever being much of a hassle. Not more than filing with your own, anyways. In any case, I'm gonna be playing phone and e-mail tag for a while and be frustrated with how long it takes to get my whip out the shop lol

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
The most important thing is that your insurance company isn't listing you as being at fault or partly at fault.

As long as that's the case then pay your deductible and hope your insurance reimburses after they haggle your neighbors insurance company.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Take the money. Your deductible is high, but its still all part of the process.
Ask your insurance to haggle it out over the extra $1000 if the other party is at fault - its what they are paid to do

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should be dealing directly with the other driver's insurance, not yours. That's why you exchange information. You risk your premium going up if your insurance ever has to do anything, even if it's not your fault. You never want to call them unless you have to.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Have you managed to get a hold of the other person insurance? It seems you never gave an update on that. You should not be charged a deductible if it goes through the other person insurance. The same for the rental. It seems you are either not listening to what people are saying in the other thread, or you are not being honest about this thread.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
You should be dealing directly with the other driver's insurance, not yours. That's why you exchange information. You risk your premium going up if your insurance ever has to do anything, even if it's not your fault. You never want to call them unless you have to.
This another great point. It's not just the deductible that you have to pay, your insurance record will show that you made a claim. A large claim since the car was totalled. So expect to see a big increase in your insurance rate. This won't happen if you actually went through the "supposedly" at fault driver insurance. This assuming you don't live in a no fault state like Michigan.

OP
OP
Blake the drunk
Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Have you managed to get a hold of the other person insurance? It seems you never gave an update on that. You should not be charged a deductible if it goes through the other person insurance. The same for the rental. It seems you are either not listening to what people are saying in the other thread, or you are not being honest about this thread.
Got a call from them this morning just asking for the police report number, address etc and said they will call when they have more info

Nov 23, 2017
I had two claims with my insurance. Neither accident was my fault.
First accident, the other person had the same insurerer and it was all handled internally. The repair shop took forever with my car, but I got a rental for the whole time without a charge.
Second accident, it was a drunk driver with some really cheap ass policy from some other state. I had the car towed to my house initially to wait for the insurance to tell me where to take it. It took a few weeks for that to happen with the city leaving a notice on the car for dumping (at least there was no fine), and insurance finally got it towed to a shop for estimates. It was totaled and I got way more than I was expecting for it. I received a check in the mail not too long after.
Neither time did I pay a deductible or do much of anything than talk to them on the phone. I did have to hassle them a bit after the city notice because they were still trying to track down the other person's insurance policy. Initially they said I could pay for the tow, but I put my foot down and said no. So it got done for free. I didn't need a rental because I already had a primary vehicle.
A good company is worth it in times like these. They handle all that stuff and you wait for them to sort it.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
OP if you are not at fault why isn't the other drivers insurance paying you?

Sounds like in order to get a rental he needed to initiate things with his own insurance.

I would imagine in a state that assigns fault you have an avenue to get reimbursed for all your damages. Have you talked with your insurance company about this? Is there a police report citing the other party as being at fault?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Also bear in mind that they can't always get that money back from the other party. In my case, the person that caused the wreck didn't have insurance at all, and easily caused upwards of 20-30K in damage in the blink of an eye. My insurance tried, but they weren't able to get anything from them, so I never got the deductible back. But I was only out a couple hundred bucks on a couple thousand in repairs, so I wasn't all that upset about it.