• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MinionZero

Jan 14, 2018
This is going to be amazing for the romhack Community. They already did wonders by reverse engineering the roms, but now sky is the limit.

I've seem some crazy romhacks out there for these games already. I imagine it will give some of them a good view of the inner workings, but I would not make too much use of the source code. You can argue reverse engineering is okay, but using stolen source code is another issue entirely.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is like the 3rd one this year right?

Maybe this is all from the same attack and being released in pieces?

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
You'll have to find or create alternatives to whatever internal APIs are available by the SNES, but sure.

Games of that era are written almost 100% in the assembly language of the target machine. To get it onto a modern system you would need to port the code to C for example, I'd assume.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I'm surprised Nintendo has the source code for these old games. Nice.
Nintendo's usually pretty good about archiving that kind of stuff.

Had to chuckle at Link's Awakening DX in particular being here considering the original black and white GB release is one of the few games Nintendo did actually lose the source code for, IIRC.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
What about the source code for Super Famicom 1988 tech demo DRAGONFLY, and what it became, PILOTWINGS ?

rsOMfU9.jpg

4QUlwxR.jpg

IatuMLN.jpg

bNWnZhp.jpg

UI3nDE5.jpg

CYZWjWv.jpg

7S4uRI8.jpg

yuvt36m.jpg

d3igvj8.jpg

Last edited:

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
This will lead to many fascinating development insights - shame it had to come from a hack like this, it it's really cool that Nintendo preserves stuff like this so well.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
This is huge: iQue proposed a mainline online Pokémon game for PC that used the GBA as the controller:

(check the thread, there are lots of details)

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Cool.

So, say someone had a Xbox one devkit, could you port starfox to that system with the source code?
You'll have to find or create alternatives to whatever internal APIs are available by the SNES, but sure.

Which in theory shouldn't be an issue because SNES emulators would have handled this already.

If you really wanted, you could just create an application that has a containerized SNES emulator packaged with the game and (theoretically) put that on Xbox or whatever really. In fact, I'm pretty sure this is how several PS1 and PSP ports to PS4 work.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have a theory about the "Donkey" prototype.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Miyamoto asked to make a game that looked like DKC and that's how we ended up with Yoshi's Island? Maybe that's why this prototype is called Donkey.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
This is huge: iQue proposed a mainline online Pokémon game for PC that used the GBA as the controller:

(check the thread, there are lots of details)

Wooooooow

I have a theory about the "Donkey" prototype.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Miyamoto asked to make a game that looked like DKC and that's how we ended up with Yoshi's Island? Maybe that's why this prototype is called Donkey.

That sounds plausible.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit up front I don't know a lot of details about all this but it sure seems like "leak" is a really prettied up word for "theft" in this case.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Is "leak" the right word for this? Or was this some sort of illegal hack? What actually happened here? What is the origin of this data beyond an anonymous person on 4chan? We probably don't know more than that at this point, huh?
An illegal release of proprietary content that was obtained through illegal means.