• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
unknown.png

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps5/ - This section was added after the event this Wednesday.

Despite Cerny's talk earlier this year, there was still some doubt regarding whether or not backwards compatible games on PS5 would receive any sort of enhancement beyond loading times and easing framerate dips, but going by this it seems like we should also get some game-specific enhancements as well (similarly to how BC works on Xbox). All PSVR games run at 60FPS minimum so I'm hoping this also means they'll get some running at native 90 / 120FPS, WipEout VR at 120FPS would be the dream.

EDIT: Don't get too caught in the Disc to Digital part folks, it's not what you think. They're just saying that if a game offers an upgrade path to the PS5 version on physical, you'll have to download the entire game instead of it being something you install from the disc (and you'll still need to have the disc inserted to play it). It's not some physical --> digital program or anything, wording is just weird.

Last edited:

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Did the pandemic also hit Sony's PR and information departments? This has to be one of the most confusing, inconsistent, chaotic, information starved console releases I've seen from Sony. No transparency whatsoever.

DiscoThunder

May 7, 2019
Games locked to 30 fps with framedrops on PS4 will be be stable 30 on PS5.

Games locked to 60 fps with framedrops on PS4 will be be stable 60 on PS5.

Games with unlocked framerate on PS4 will be 120fps+ on PS5.

That's how I see it working.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna smooth out the framerate in games that get drops currently.

It's not gonna bust through framerate caps. A 30fps game is still gonna be a 30fps game. But a 30fps game that sometimes drops will hopefully now be a stable 30fps game.

Same Boost Mode as PS4 Pro?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose Playstation Plus Collection games have the highest chance of receiving this treatment. Bloodborne being on that list is a good sign.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Doubt it'll happen, but hopefully they can remove the frame-rate caps for at least some first-party games so they can max out at 60 instead of 30.

Edit: I suspect it'll actually be more involved than simply removing a frame-rate cap to be fair.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Probably only on the ones with drops or games with unlocked framerates. KH3, FFXV, Saints Row 3 Remastered, and other games like those will benefit

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
Game boost sounds like it is similar to what you get with a pro for games that don't support pro upgrades. I believe Bloodborne ran a bit better on pro

LDNStateOfMind

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Oh so I have a chance of converting my disk games to digital? Going with DE and would love to keep play no man sky without buying it again.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
It'll just smooth out frame drops in games with unstable framerates. It's not going to magically fix bad frame pacing or remove FPS caps.

Oct 28, 2017
I assume that. Bloodborne would need a patch similar to DS3 that unlocks the frame rate. I also assume that the extra horsepower would allow both games to hit 60 easily

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Oh so I have a chance of converting my disk games to digital? Going with DE and would love to keep play no man sky without buying it again.

That kinda sounds like it's more about current releases that people may still be buying on PS4.

But, I could see a dev like Hello Games not charging PS4 owners for the upgrade. Just dont expect it to be wide-spread for older games.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It'll just smooth out frame drops in games with unstable framerates. It's not going to magically fix bad frame pacing or remove FPS caps.
Yeah, this sounds like it's just talking about boost mode.
Sony haven't mentioned anything about patching PS4 games to support PS5 enhancements.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Games locked to 30 fps with framedrops on PS4 will be be stable 30 on PS5.

Games locked to 60 fps with framedrops on PS4 will be be stable 60 on PS5.

Games with unlocked framerate on PS4 will be 120fps+ on PS5.

That's how I see it working.

Same for variable rez.

Honestly that + improved loading times (not a monstruous improvement like tailored game of course but an improvement nonetheless) is enough for me, and a good reason to buy the PS5 even without any new exclusive game and just enjoy the latest current-gen only titles slightly improved.

sns97

Visited by Knack
Oct 30, 2017
Bloodborne will be the same on PS5 as it is on PS4 pro unless they specifically push a patch update for the game. But it isn't going to happen.
Please stop. It's embarrassing.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I really wonder how well boost mode will work out this time, I mean last time they only really had extra gpu to work with. Now they have a ton of extra CPU resources as well as ram on top of the massive GPU boost - hopefully we'll see a much better incarnation of it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
unknown.png

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps5/ - This section was added after the event this Wednesday.

Despite Cerny's talk earlier this year, there was still some doubt regarding whether or not backwards compatible games on PS5 would receive any sort of enhancement beyond loading times and easing framerate dips, but going by this it seems like we should also get some game-specific enhancements as well (similarly to how BC works on Xbox). All PSVR games run at 60FPS minimum so I'm hoping this also means they'll get some running at native 90 / 120FPS, WipEout VR at 120FPS would be the dream.
"But what does this ....really....mean....." "Hmmm?"

As we gets closer to launch, more info will come out.

Who woulda thunk?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao I just got done talking about this in the other thread. First party ...please confirm if you're in this camp.

*ahem* Bloodborne.

Getting confirmation for some big name games patched up will prompt me to buy a PS5 sooner, rather than later considering Demons Souls is the only one I want.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
At the very least, the PS Plus Collection has to be boosted, right?

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Boost mode likely requires patching or games made after July 2020 going by that SDK notes.

But what does "a catalogue of ps4 games" mean?

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
They're probably talking about games with dynamic resolution and unlocked framerates that will get an automatic boost from the PS5.