• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
So hold on. The least "Resident Evil" title (5 was brightly lit and co-op focussed) was also the best selling one out of all those?

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it's not a straight classic style like some are hoping for.
I can see it easily eclipsing RE7. Especially if the reviews are there.
It has Leon and the Nostalgia factor behind it. Like they have to sabotage it like MVC:I at this point to hurt it's sales.

I think it'll also depends on Marketing. The marketing for MvsC: I was almos non-existent and RE 7 definitely had a lower budge one than the other main entries.

Katori

Oct 30, 2017
Good stuff for RE7. Hopefully they will continue to do more creatively interesting entries and not just farm out first-person stuff.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about 1 million but they did say they made back its development cost back in February (2.5million shipped but they did say how many units was the break even point)
Oh ok, so it could be anywhere from 1 million to 2.5 million to break even. Either way they've made decent profit from it, which is good. Too bad the rest of their offerings underperformed this year.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Who the hell is buying RE5/6 but not RE4? And how do people not have like 3-5 different copies of RE4?

RE7 doing alright, they should still go back to third person though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this means we still get an action RE game that expands on the mechanics of RE6.
tumblr_olfw1zAIWN1w1nb8jo7_400.gif

jsGWqyC.gif

mkU5Y6V.gif

CMdXpjv.gif

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope this means we still get an action RE game that expands on the mechanics of RE6.
RE6 has such good shooting mechanics. Countering, diving, rolling, all came together to create a really good experience mechanically. Honestly, it's too good a system to just abandon. Improve the level design and narrative and you're good to go.

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
For being offshoots, the Revelations games also do pretty damn well sales wise.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
How do you think the numbers would look though for games like REmake and 0 if the same amount of people actually playing video games now were back then when both were released? Because with that in mind, RE7 actually looks comparatively bad. I also wonder how RE5 would have looked without the co-op crap.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I wish I could figure out how to play RE6 so that my gameplay looked like the GIFs people always post.

Me playing RE6 is like a drummer trying to jam while submerged neck-deep in Vaseline. Nothing moves, works, or sounds the way it's supposed to. Even trying is pointless. I don't understand how high-level play in RE6 is accomplished. It never looks like that when I play. It's awful.

It's apparently me who is awful. I am the problem. Somebody fix me, please. I can't live like this.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Keep RE horror focused and give RE6 mechanics to a Dino Crisis reboot game.
Jawmuncher approves.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
RE6 has such good shooting mechanics. Countering, diving, rolling, all came together to create a really good experience mechanically. Honestly, it's too good a system to just abandon. Improve the level design and narrative and you're good to go.
Then why not just make a new action IP...something like where it's tons of non-stop action fighting hordes of zombies. You could even have a mall as the setting.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could figure out how to play RE6 so that my gameplay looked like the GIFs people always post.

Me playing RE6 is like a drummer trying to jam while submerged neck-deep in Vaseline. Nothing moves, works, or sounds the way it's supposed to. Even trying is pointless. I don't understand how high-level play in RE6 is accomplished. It never looks like that when I play. It's awful.

It's apparently me who is awful. I am the problem. Somebody fix me, please. I can't live like this.

Resident Evil 6: Mechanics Guide

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Then why not just make a new action IP...something like where it's tons of non-stop action fighting hordes of zombies. You could even have a mall as the setting.

Don't even try to compare Action RE to Dead Rising. That's like the furthest thing form each other.
They share zombies and absolutely nothing else. Outside small things like "you can use guns".

As for a new IP that's always a big gamble. Part of the action RE appeal is from the universe its tied to.
Which just goes back to needing to blame Mikami and co for the shift RE4 brought. You can only do so much when even the daddy of Survival horror thought action would be a good move for the series.

Enough of that though. I will say. If capcom gave me a Dino Crisis that gameplay wise played like RE6 i'd leave RE alone when it comes to requesting action.
DC was a multi-million sellers that's been dormant for awhile. So it coming back in such a sense would be safer than a new IP while also still getting some of the perks tied to that.

Oct 25, 2017
the Resi5 and 6 numbers are unbelievable, every time :D especially 6 as it was quite universally panned.
RE5 regardless of certain fans opinion was not only a great campaign it was one of the best co-op experiences ever.

RE6 was riding off that.
it had amazing mechanics(particularly in Chris' campaign that used them), the two faces of the franchise and was absolutely a jampacked title with loads of value and 4 separate campaigns.
Also had an amazing marketing push like 5.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dam 5 did so dam well. I hope they don't abandon 7's style just because it hasn't had the same impact previous titles did. Hopefully they can reduce costs and make the next game better/sell better

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Resident Evil 5 is still on the top. Easily one of the best Co-op games of all time. Singleplayer not so much.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing RE6 sold so well. I wonder if that poisoned the well for RE7 in the way Assassin's Creed Unity did.

You'd think RE7 would at least sell as well as the PS3/360 releases of RE6.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why Capcom would change the formula after 6 considering those sales? I mean, I know the reception wasn't that good but those numbers...
That's because the negative reception of 6 had nothing to do with the direction they took with 7, as much as certain fans like to claim the contrary and pat themselves on the back thinking their complaining is what birthed 7. Capcom stated several times that they're proud of 6, but they had to do a soft reboot with 7 because they directed themselves into a corner with 6. They went global with RE6, there was no where left to escalate (unless they went to space probably lol) so they accepted they had to go back to a small scale situation with the next game so that they could start the escalation all over again.

Last edited:

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
For those that want Steamspy data added:

Resident Evil 0 = 3.3 million
Resident Evil (2003) = 4 million
Resident Evil 4 = 7.8 million
Resident Evil 5 = 11.6 million
Resident Evil 6 = 9.5 million
Resident Evil 7 = 4.6 million
Why? PC software sales is already included in their report.

DL (Full-game download) includes PlayStation®Network, Xbox Live, Wii Ware and all digital download units
on Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and PC etc.

and for RE0, i see only 2.95M:

NXNmp0r.png

iNurQIO.png

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I can only hope Capcom opts to go back down the RE4/5 path. Those two games have such stellar gunplay and it was a shame to see it go away in 6. Unfortunately for me, I think Capcom will continue with the RE7 path. At least the longtime fans seemed to like that one.

OP
OP

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's because the negative reception of 6 had nothing to do with the direction they took with 7, as much as certain fans like to claim the contrary and pat themselves on the back thinking their complaining is what birthed 7. Capcom stated several times that they're proud of 6, but they had to do a soft reboot with 7 because they directed themselves into a corner with 6. They went global with RE6, there was no where left to escalate (unless they went to space probably lol) so they accepted they had to go back to a small scale situation with the next game so that they could start they escalation all over again.

Could have gone outer planetary... or at the very least space station territory.

I just want to see Chris punch a space station, okay?

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They went global with RE6, there was no where left to escalate (unless they went to space probably lol)
Going to space is the classic horror series jumping the shark moment. Or "son of/next generation." Somehow going to space worked for Mario though, but that might be the only time.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to see if 8 has higher numbers coming off the positive reception of 7.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
So hold on. The least "Resident Evil" title (5 was brightly lit and co-op focussed) was also the best selling one out of all those?

Seems to me they need a side series kind of just being a sci-fi shooter based in a cool location. Maybe furuee Revelaitons will be more action oriented.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
I'd like to see Revelations continue the action RE trend going forward. The numbered titles could follow RE7's footsteps. There's potential for both types of Resident Evil.

OP
OP

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, your data is already incorrect. See RE0 shipment data, for example. It's 2.95M (original + remaster) – not 3.3.

That's with the Steamspy data.

As stated in the OP

"As of September 30, 2017

Resident Evil 0 = 2.95 million copies sold ( 1.25 million GC, 1.7 million HD)
Resident Evil (2003) = 3.45 million copies sold (1.35 million GC, 2.1 million HD)
Resident Evil 4 = 6.9 million copies sold (1.6 million GC, 2.3 million PS2, 2.0 million Wii, 1.0 million HD)
Resident Evil 5 = 10.5 million copies sold (7.2 million 360/PS3, 2.3 million Gold, 1 million HD)
Resident Evil 6 = 8.2 million copies sold (7 million 360/PS3, 1.2 million HD)
Resident Evil 7 = 4.1 million copies sold

Source: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

Note: Steamspy sales are not included as it is unknown which games Capcom counts Steam sales with and which ones they don't."

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
That's with the Steamspy data.

As stated in the OP

"As of September 30, 2017

Resident Evil 0 = 2.95 million copies sold ( 1.25 million GC, 1.7 million HD)
Resident Evil (2003) = 3.45 million copies sold (1.35 million GC, 2.1 million HD)
Resident Evil 4 = 6.9 million copies sold (1.6 million GC, 2.3 million PS2, 2.0 million Wii, 1.0 million HD)
Resident Evil 5 = 10.5 million copies sold (7.2 million 360/PS3, 2.3 million Gold, 1 million HD)
Resident Evil 6 = 8.2 million copies sold (7 million 360/PS3, 1.2 million HD)
Resident Evil 7 = 4.1 million copies sold

Source: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

Note: Steamspy sales are not included as it is unknown which games Capcom counts Steam sales with and which ones they don't."

again, software sales on PC are always included in that report.

DL (Full-game download) includes PlayStation®Network, Xbox Live, Wii Ware and all digital download units
on Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and PC etc.