Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh ok thanks. I just looked up hdmi 2.1 and it sounds good. Guess I'll wait for the new sets then before I buy.
I don't think we have confirmation on Sony's 2020 OLED sets evening having 2.1.

if you're looking for OLED with 2.1, LG's OLEDs all have it. Their 2019 and 2020 sets.

You'll see a lot of y'all in here about the LG C9 and CX.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
No complaints at all about my LG C7 OLED. I'm interested in what HDMI 2.1 offers for next-gen so I may get another this year or possibly next year.

Oct 28, 2017
As FlatpanelsHD reported from CES 2020, two of Sony's new LCD TV ranges for 2020 will feature an HDMI 2.1 port capable of receiving 4K at 120 frames per second (4K120) - and 8K60 for 8K TVs. These are the 8K Z8H (Z8H) and the 4K X900H (XH90) ranges.

Last year's Sony 8K Z9G (Z9G) will carry over into 2020 and also feature an HDMI 2.1 port for 4K120 and 8K60.

In addition, X900H (XH90) will be the first Sony TV to offer support for HDMI 2.1's VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) and ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode). The former is variable refresh rate for smoother, lag-free gameplay via a PC or game console (must also support VRR). The latter allows the TV to automatically switch into 'Game' mode when it detects a game via HDMI. These features will be added through a future software update for X900H (XH90) only.

Oct 28, 2017
Sony's A8 OLED as well as X950H (XH95) and X850H (XH85) LCDs will not feature an HDMI 2.1 port capable of 4K120 but they will feature a single optional HDMI 2.1 feature that can be supported on HDMI 2.0 ports. This feature is eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel), which supports lossless audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD (with/without Atmos) and DTS-HD MA (with/without DTS:X). HDMI eARC is also supported in most other 2020 Sony TVs and some previous TV models.

One source of confusion has been Sony's decision not to include an HDMI 2.1 port in its X950 (XH95) range, leading some to speculate that it can be firmware updated. This is not correct, according to Sony.

TheTyrantShow

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
Anything with HDMI 2.1 because TVs without it now won't be updated to get it later

• eARC: Improved Audio Return Channel adds mandatory lip sync correction and support uncompressed full resolution multi channel audio, including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. If you are not using speakers or sound bar, eARC doesn't matter.
  • 10K: There may be few 8K flagship models shipping next year, but they will be priced well above most people's budget. But if you want the absolute best and have the money, yes, HDMI 2.1 will be worth waiting for.
  • HDR10+: HDMI 2.1 supports Dolby Vision-like dynamic HDR (HDR10+) to standard HDR10 format. I think Samsung and few others support HDR10+ already, but I think only via smart TV apps and not external sources. Correct me if I am wrong as I am hearing conflicting information. Anyway, this could help standardize HDR once and for all.
  • QMS: Change resolutions and frame rates immediately, without the annoying blank screen that lasts few seconds as the mode changes.
  • 120 Hz: HDMI 2.1 brings 120 Hz at 4K. This matter far more to PC or gamers.
  • Variable Frame Rate: With HDMI 2.1, games can send new frame when they are rendered

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
i bought a samsung ks 8000 in 2016 and feel like i already should upgrade my tv for next gen. sigh
The ks8000 is a good tv, but I upgraded because it got outdated quick. Edge lit screens don't compare to FALD, miniLED, or oled TV's. I picked up an oled and didn't look back. I don't see oled being beat until microLED becomes a thing in several years

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone have a home audio system by Polk? Was wondering what is a good choice television that blends in with their equipment seamlessly.

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
OP specifically states they are looking for a 4K tv under $1000. Several people immediacy suggest the LG C9.

Maple-Rebel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 15, 2018
The B9 is more reasonable priced, at least for the 55 inches. I got mine for 1400 Cad, so something like 1000 to 1100 in the states. So with a good sale it's in striking range of 1000. If I didn't find this sale, I was going to wait for the Sony 900h to go on sale later this year.

OP
OP
Rated-G

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
I'm back, and I've still been keeping an eye on potential TVs to upgrade to, and I've been looking at the Sony x900H (Don't worry I still have the LG recs in mind as well).

Anyone have any experience with this tv? Recommended? No? It seems to have good reviews, it's very affordable, and has HDMI 2.1. I don't intend to use the smart features as I have an Apple TV 4K that would cover most of what I need there. The main caveat I've seen is that it doesn't have variable refresh rate. I know that's likely a ymmv type feature for people, but still. Would it be worth holding out for something that has that? Is there anything I'm missing here? I still intend on upgrading my audio receiver soon, so I wouldn't be using the TV speakers. I plan on getting both a PS5 and Xbox Series X, and I currently have an XB1X so I would have 4K content to take advantage of.

Really if it's crucial to wait for certain features to become more standard, I'm okay with that, but I'd really like to upgrade THIS year to enjoy the new consoles, and the idea of having the TV ready before getting them is enticing.

Namikaze1

Oct 25, 2017
I'm back, and I've still been keeping an eye on potential TVs to upgrade to, and I've been looking at the Sony x900H (Don't worry I still have the LG recs in mind as well).

Anyone have any experience with this tv? Recommended? No? It seems to have good reviews, it's very affordable, and has HDMI 2.1. I don't intend to use the smart features as I have an Apple TV 4K that would cover most of what I need there. The main caveat I've seen is that it doesn't have variable refresh rate. I know that's likely a ymmv type feature for people, but still. Would it be worth holding out for something that has that? Is there anything I'm missing here? I still intend on upgrading my audio receiver soon, so I wouldn't be using the TV speakers. I plan on getting both a PS5 and Xbox Series X, and I currently have an XB1X so I would have 4K content to take advantage of.

Really if it's crucial to wait for certain features to become more standard, I'm okay with that, but I'd really like to upgrade THIS year to enjoy the new consoles, and the idea of having the TV ready before getting them is enticing.
HDMI2.1 features like VRR is being unlocked in X900H via a firmware update later this year. We don't know when but Sony has stated on the product's page it's coming.

Sep 21, 2019
LG C9, ALL THE WAY!

They are the best TVs on the market right now. The 2020 models don't warrant the increase in cost, and you can get a C9 for a good deal now.

OP
OP
Rated-G

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
LG C9, ALL THE WAY!

They are the best TVs on the market right now. The 2020 models don't warrant the increase in cost, and you can get a C9 for a good deal now.

My main concerns with the C9, as exciting as OLED is, especially coming from a nice plasma screen, is the burn in risk. That seems to be one of its lowest scoring attributes, and I want to be able to enjoy the occasional 6+ hour gaming session without having to worry about hud elements burning in. With my plasma currently I get a little retention but I use a pixel flipper or do something else and it's gone within 30 minutes.

Not to mention my only options for buying are either through Best Buy or Amazon and neither seem to have that model available.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went from a Panasonic VT25 Plasma to an OLED (LG C9) last year, and am very happy with the new TV. I did look at several high end LCD's with local dimming, but wasn't impressed. Even with a high number of zones, the black level wasn't consistently good (depending on what was on the screen), and they sometimes exhibited weird artifacts.

BTW, if you're interested in a fantastic comparison of the C9 and CX, have a look at the following video:

www.youtube.com

LG CX (2020) vs C9 (2019) OLED TV Comparison

We compare the picture quality of the LG CX vs last year's LG C9 OLED TV to help you decide if you should go for the 2020 or 2019 model. Topics covered inclu...

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Wish I could buy a "cheap C9" like some people recommend, but there's literally no stock anywhere so there's no option but the brand new CX. Hopefully I can find a deal when next gen hits at the end of the year.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I've always like Sony. Also, if you want OLED, LG are one of the best OLED TVs you can find, but also, Sony uses LG OLED panels on their TVs, so you can't go wrong with either Sony or LG.

My only issue with Sony TVs right now is Android TV. I don't trust Google at all, because they stop supporting everything they put out so fast. I have an Android TV, and I fear it will be obsolete next year. LG Web OS, it's nice, but I don't know how much support it has, though.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
I've always like Sony. Also, if you want OLED, LG are one of the best OLED TVs you can find, but also, Sony uses LG OLED panels on their TVs, so you can't go wrong with either Sony or LG.

My only issue with Sony TVs right now is Android TV. I don't trust Google at all, because they stop supporting everything they put out so fast. I have an Android TV, and I fear it will be obsolete next year. LG Web OS, it's nice, but I don't know how much support it has, though.

Web OS is hands down the best TV OS out, IMO. So well designed and has all the apps I could look for.

As for Sony OLED's I'd stay away at the moment since they don't support HDMI 2.1 which is a big check mark for next gen.

Sep 21, 2019
My main concerns with the C9, as exciting as OLED is, especially coming from a nice plasma screen, is the burn in risk. That seems to be one of its lowest scoring attributes, and I want to be able to enjoy the occasional 6+ hour gaming session without having to worry about hud elements burning in. With my plasma currently I get a little retention but I use a pixel flipper or do something else and it's gone within 30 minutes.

Not to mention my only options for buying are either through Best Buy or Amazon and neither seem to have that model available.

I played over 175 hours of FFXIV on my OLED with zero issues.

Only thing is to not use it as a PC monitor with icons and taskbar on. Hide all icons and the taskbar to prevent burnin if you use it as a monitor.

I had slight burnin after 2 years because of PC icons. Now I hide them all.

Using it for gaming will be completely fine. I even have the TV light maxed. No issues ever.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I played over 175 hours of FFXIV on my OLED with zero issues.

Only thing is to not use it as a PC monitor with icons and taskbar on. Hide all icons and the taskbar to prevent burnin if you use it as a monitor.

I had slight burnin after 2 years because of PC icons. Now I hide them all.

Using it for gaming will be completely fine. I even have the TV light maxed. No issues ever.
Even that's not a guarantee imo. I hide task bar on my B7, but I never hide desktop icons, and I'm not careful with it at all. 10,000 hours and 3 years later still no burn in. It's definitely a YMMV thing.

OP
OP
Rated-G

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Do not buy a television based on a "promised" feature.
Wait until it actually arrives (if it does) and the implementation is known to be good.

Definitely goes without saying!

As far as burn in, I've seen a friend go through two B9 models and a C9 because he had elements from Borderlands 2's hud, and a Rocket League's hud get burned in, despite short gaming sessions and varying content. He's currently using a CX and hasn't had that problem so far, but I've seen mixed responses from others about experiences with burn in. I'd love to go OLED but I do play games a lot so it's definitely a concern.

I'm also in a place where this would potentially be more of an entry 4K option for me, being able to splurge on a better, bigger option down the line while moving whatever I get this year to the bedroom.

Sep 21, 2019
Even that's not a guarantee imo. I hide task bar on my B7, but I never hide desktop icons, and I'm not careful with it at all. 10,000 hours and 3 years later still no burn in. It's definitely a YMMV thing.

The burn in I had was very slight and only really noticeable on an all grey screen. I cant imagine you wouldn't see some burn in with light cranked to 100 on a 10% grey screen.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
The burn in I had was very slight and only really noticeable on an all grey screen. I cant imagine you wouldn't see some burn in with light cranked to 100 on a 10% grey screen.
Nope, none at all. Red, purple, gray, max brightness. Clean as can be. I used to check it every week and then every two weeks, and now once a month or so. Still flawless. This is why I think panel variance is a factor in regards to burn in.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]

Anyone have any experience with this tv?
Review for this set has been on high demand by commentors. My friend got it last week (55"), to my eyes it looked great. HDTVTest's review just came out, coincidence?

kdoll08

Oct 25, 2017
For you guys looking for info on the Sony 900H tv's Rtings.com just came out with their review. Unfortunately they have no info on the HDMI 2.1 VRR since it has not been implemented yet and is waiting on firmware.

www.rtings.com

Sony X900H Review (XBR55X900H, XBR65X900H, XBR75X900H, XBR85X900H)

The Sony X900H, also sold as the X90CH at Costco, is a great 4k TV for nearly any type of content. It has a VA panel with an excellent contrast ratio and a full-...