• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you own a gun/firearm?

• Yes

Votes: 140 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 215 24.6%
  • Nope, but I know someone who does

Votes: 374 42.8%
  • I'm not in America, but want to see the results

Votes: 144 16.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

My father grew up in the country and was/is an avid hunter. He gifted me a SIG of his for home protection when I purchased my home. I've probably taken it to the range twice in a decade lol. I don't like hunting (hurting) animals and I just don't care about guns in general.

That being said, I'd turn it in tomorrow if there was a buy-back program similar to what happened in Australian. Additionally, I am in a high-crime area in Baltimore city with my wife & child, so it's not unreasonable to own one. There are a decent amount of break-ins and shootings nearby, even on my street but thankfully we've never experienced one.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I mean, I know some people who do, uncles and coworkers and whatnot, but no one I actually spend time with regularly. I don't think anyone in my actual social circle or my immediate family has so much as thought about buying a gun. And I'm in Texas. It's really a wildly different world between the average person in any urban/suburban environment who don't have guns, rural people or occasional hunters who have some hunting weapons, and then the minority of gun people who own small personal armories.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Canadian and no guns but I think they are kind of interesting as small mechanical devices. Too bad they're used for murdering people. I'd probably buy a CZ Shadow 2 or something if I could & wasn't afraid of misuse.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
No, I never will. Never been into guns. 15ish years ago I was considering getting my license to carry, but decided against it, and I'm glad I don't have it or any guns esp now with kids. I just think there's a high enough likelihood that I'd accidentally kill myself at some point that I don't want a gun. Knowing the 1:1 relationship between gun ownership and the likelihood of someone in your family being killed by a gun, I don't want guns in my house.

I know people with guns, but living in MA in a generally anti-gun area, not very many. A few of my close friends have guns, two are into hunting, one has one just to have one in his safe. I definitely know a few people who have large collections of guns but they're not friends, just people I know.

Nobody in my immediate family has guns. Just not gun people really, even though both of my parents are Republicans they were never gun people.

I'd imagine most americans know someone with a gun, though, they might not know that they know someone, but just sheer numbers alone it's tough to not have someone in your regular circle who isn't a gun owner. I live in the state with the lowest gun ownership in the country (Massachusetts), and despite living in a city, with progressive friends, I know many people with guns and have several close friends who have/inherited/own guns.

Last edited:

never

Oct 28, 2017
I never owned a gun and thought it was dumb to... then I got shot at by a drunk neighbor. I went to court and in court they used my lack of gun knowledge against me to get the guy a lesser charge. Since then I decided it was important to at least understand guns, because if they were going to be used against me in that way, I should at least understand them.

So I've been to a range a few times, my wife owns some guns. I now have a much better understanding of them.
I'd also be perfectly happy with overturning the second amendment.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Always thought about it but I've never been comfortable around guns even when I was in Boyscouts and every adult was incredibly strict about every little detail and nuance so we wouldn't hurt anyone. Anything that can do easily destroy and kill in an instant will never be something I feel I'd be ok with, even fully locked up.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I don't own a gun but I know several people who do. There are essentially 3 general categories of gun owners in my experience.

The first group are the self defensers. They usually own a pistol for home defense that they keep locked up and that's it. They tend to not engage in gun culture.

The second group are hunters who typically have a small to medium collection. The collection usually tracks with the deer season weaponry that's allowed (rifle, bow and arrow, muzzle loader, etc.) They participate in gun culture to a variable extent.

The last group are full on gun nuts. They collect weapons of all kinds. My theory, based on observing people I know who are in this group, on why they collect is that it is the only way that these people can feel like they have power.
Yep. I don't own a gun, but my dad and sister are both in that first group (home defense). They're locked up 24/7, and the hopeful idea is that they'll never see the light of day.

I have no real issue with that or with responsible hunters who own a gun or two, it's the gun nuts with the "Come and take it" mentality who think that owning a bunch of guns and assault rifles makes you a badass that are truly ridiculous.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Yep. I don't own a gun, but my dad and sister are both in that first group (home defense). They're locked up 24/7, and the hopeful idea is that they'll never see the light of day.

I have no real issue with that or with responsible hunters who own a gun or two, it's the gun nuts with the "Come and take it" mentality who think that owning a bunch of guns and assault rifles makes you a badass that are truly ridiculous.
Yup. They're also the ones looking for a reason to use them and will light up a school.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
My dad has a few hunting rifles. They're kept locked in a gun safe and never accessed. He used to go hunting with an old friend every few years but I don't think he's done so in nearly a decade, he had a falling out with that friend. I don't own any, nor do I plan to.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Canadian. No never. Canadian problem: the American flood of guns through Quebec into Ontario is what feeds gangs in Canada.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
No, and I don't want one, but the way this country is going they may end up forcing my hand.

Edit: Been considering non-lethal firearms though, and I have an aluminum bat in the closet that's intended for multiple purposes.

Edit 2: I live in Louisiana, so of course practically everyone I know has at least one gun. my father has at least one revolver and a shotgun, possibly more, and my brother-in-law is in law enforcement and has practically an army's worth of guns at his disposal. Another brother-in-law is the outdoorsy type so similarly has a whole cache of artillery to his name.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
For the record, I have fired guns at a range on several occasions. I think it's a fun thing to do, to rent a gun and fire it at a range, and then leave without a tool designed for death in my possession. I tell people who own guns that I've been to a range and the first thing they do is ask what I'm thinking of buying. I'm not. If anything, firing at a range only hardened my position that anything 9mm or larger is way too much firepower for the average mook to have in their possession. No one should have access to something designed to damage the human body like that unless it's part of their job.

Im on this line. Shooting guns are fun! But its designed to kill people and I don't need it in my home or life. Only way I would get a gun is if I could store it elsewhere for target practice like a locker at the range.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada's actually one of the worst countries in terms of gun ownership too. The USA is just on another level entirely. Nowhere else compares.
Not sure I understand the "actually" or the "too" here, relative to my post? As you said, the USA is on another level.

Screenshot-20220525-103757.jpg

Our firearm death rate is also much lower and unexceptional, despite a 'high' volume of guns. Canada is big on hunting in its rural communities (unfortunately), though, and that partly explains gun ownership.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
Yes I have two firearm's. I didn't grow up in some rural area ,I've never been hunting and I didn't grow up around guns. I got my first gun around age 18 for self defense because friends and acquaintances started getting murdered. I got rid of my guns at 25 when my daughter was born. My personal exposure to violent crime had dropped so I didn't feel a need for a gun anymore given the risk of an accident.
Shorty after getting rid of my guns I had a very close relative commit Suicide with his handgun. One of his friends had committed suicide with that same relatives handgun less than a year earlier.
When my father-in-law died some years ago he left his gun and we purchased one other. I am pro gun control as are plenty of gun owners but we don't don't matter the industry does

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I used to own a Glock 34, which is geared towards target shooting, which is how I used it. I got bored of it and wound up selling it. Of course I live in MD, so I had to go through an FFL to make the transfer. It's not like I sold it to some rando on the street.

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
Nope. Though I briefly owned one for about two years. A few years ago my wife and I bought a new place in Baltimore. Even though it was a nice house, and a pretty nice neighborhood it was still Baltimore, and I actually purchased a shotgun for home protection. I bought non-lethal ammunition, and never fired it once. When we moved from Baltimore I gave the gun to the police. Don't plan on ever purchasing one again.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I understand the "actually" or the "too" here, relative to my post? As you said, the USA is on another level.

Screenshot-20220525-103757.jpg

Our firearm death rate is also much lower and unexceptional, despite a 'high' volume of guns. Canada is big on hunting in its rural communities (unfortunately), though, and that partly explains gun ownership.
What I'm saying is, the USA is so far and away worse than anything else that everyone else on the top ten looks tame in comparison.

Last edited:

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My dad recently bought a .22 so begrudgingly I have to vote yes.

Thankfully he is not happy about it either and keeps it locked up but it's there for worst case scenarios I suppose.

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, Texas here. No gun, none of my close friends do, or at least they never talk about it.

At work, one coworker is a shooting instructor in the weekends, and a few others talk about hunting.

Only one of my uncles has guns, and one of my cousins is a gun nut, but haven't spoken to him in years.

I've personally only held a real gun like once or twice, including the one time I went skeet shooting.

Feb 9, 2018
I don't, but I was raised in a white conservative Republican family and there's a lot of other white conservative Republicans in the area, so I know more than a few people who own guns and even carry them around everywhere.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Used to own the old family shotgun but only fired it yearly or so to make sure it worked. Now my sister has it as my current country is hunting guns only.

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm saying is, the countries the USA is so far and away worse than anything else that everyone else on the top ten looks tame in comparison.
Ah ok. Either way I was more speaking to my individual experience, that I feel privileged to not know anyone who owns guns. And I think that's a privilege more common in Canada than our neighbour to the South, of course.

This is not to suggest that my experience is shared by every Canadian. Particularly if you live in the interior of BC or the prairies, you're going to likely know someone who owns a gun for hunting.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any qualms about owning guns but we haven't found it necessary.

I was tempted to buy a shotgun early in the COVID shutdowns in like March 2020 when we were all staring into the abyss of the unknown and there was panic in the air.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Father has ye olde shotgun that he's fired maybe 3 times in as many decades (two of those times to punch holes in something that you really didn't want to do by hand) and keeps well separated for the ammo.

Friend and spouse have a few guns and does the range quite often. Is not the type that's NRA friendly but also is fairly pro gun.

I myself have ended up all the way over at Anti-2A as of maybe 10 years ago. I've shot guns myself several times, and am actually a far better shot than you'd expect (outshooting the friends who do have guns and shoot regularly) but target practice is not a valid reason to keep around dangerous weapons.

In the end any gun you have in your house is more likely to cause harm to someone in the house or to be used to threaten someone than to actually fend off a real threat. No matter what I may feel about the odds of a gun in my own home ever being used to harm me or someone I love I do not want to play dice against those odds.

Last edited:

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
No. I've always been interested since I enjoy shooting them at ranges or out in the country, but I never felt comfortable having one in the house while I had roommates (less control over who is in and out of the house), and now that I have a kid around to worry about I'm even less comfortable (also, my wife would object as vehemently as I imagine the average Era poster would). It also doesn't help that guns and ammunition can be pretty expensive so I've always felt pretty discouraged from making a hobby out of gun ownership (feels like you're burning through money each time you fire or have to reload).

I have plenty of friends and family that own guns. They typically keep them locked up in safes afaik.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
No, and as far as I know no one I am close with has one either. I've considered it, primarily because this place grows more fucking terrifying every day and it's clear we're all just on our own out here in this shit country, but it isn't something I would bring with me anywhere; just to have at home and be trained on using in the event that things really went to shit. That said, my wife has major depression and frequent bouts of suicidal ideation, and while my lows aren't nearly as bad as hers, I'm not to terribly better. I utlimately don't think it would be wise for either of us to have easy access to a killing machine in our home.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
No, but I'm pretty sure the majority in my extended family does. I'll list who I know of off the top of my head.

My father. I believe just a pistol. Keeps it in a safe with ammo in his closet. Navy & Coast Guard vet. Probably the only one I know who's properly trained to use it, though I don't know how long it's been since he's practiced.

My mother. This is actually a "maybe." I say "maybe" because she specifically said she HAD to go buy one once Biden was elected president. She and my dad are still married though so I don't know why she believes she needs one. She wouldn't carry it on her person.

Father-in-law. Wife told me a very weird story where he came in drunk one night from talking with neighbors and he passed his pistol to HER and said something along the lines of "Got in an argument with the neighbor. You may need to protect yourself." :|

Grandmother-in-law. She says she has a pistol next to her bed. Don't know how capable she is of using it, but I'm sure it's loaded because whenever we visit she has us "close the door so your kids don't get at it." Always makes me nervous.

Pretty sure my brother and my wife's brother does. I think my brother inherited rifles from an uncle and my brother-in-law I'm sure has one in case "them folk" or "the guvment" comes for his stuff.

Ugh.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No, but I do have friends who have one. I've shot guns at a range a few times but I don't have any desire to actually own a gun whatsoever. Not something I feel comfortable having around.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Nope.

My dad's side of the family and my sister/brother-in-law do but I have zero interest in one. There's no need. It's all just selfish hobbyists.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
No. There's no need. There's really no situation that would be improved by me having a gun. For "home defense" - which has never been necessary and probably never will - I have a couple of pepper spray canisters.

Every American knows someone with a gun.

Statistically, yes. There are many more guns than people in the US. Off the top of my head, I know at least 5 people who own handguns. And several more who own hunting rifles.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Yes I own around 7 guns, and there's a several more I would like to own.

I'm not really interested in home defense or anything like that and mostly have historical or mechanically unique firearms.

My Luger P08 is not really the best option for stopping an intruder considering it's an antique.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I've fired a few for clay pigeon shooting but have never owned one. Don't want one and don't want them in my house. My old roommate was a hunter and WW2 enthusiast and he had a ton of guns. All locked up but still made me feel uneasy.

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018
Yes.
2 - 9mm Pistols
1 - .38 Special
1 - 20 ga Shotgun
1 - Semi auto 12 Gauge
1 - O/U 12 gauge.
1- AR-15 built by my dad.

None used for home defense. All under lock and key at all times, unloaded in gun safe. No one in my family except for me knows where the key is.
I have thought about getting rid of the AR. I have shot it twice, and its fine. But hitting a paper target with a rifle like that is just boring, and those are the only options for me in my area. Also, my dad built it, so there is some emotional value to the gun.

The only gun I take out often is the over - under for sporting clays. I got about once a week. I don't think I have shot those pistols in years.

Pro - gun control. There is a lot that needs to be done. I would love some kind of registry/license for each gun (similar to a car).
Hard to do when you can build your own or 3D print your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.