DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
The Federal Aviation Administration said on Monday it has opened an investigation into the Boeing, opens new tab 787 Dreamliner after the planemaker said some employees had committed "misconduct" by claiming some tests had been completed.

The FAA said it is investigating whether Boeing completed the inspections to confirm adequate bonding and grounding where the wings join the fuselage on certain 787 Dreamliner airplanes "and whether company employees may have falsified aircraft records."

The agency said "at the same time, Boeing is reinspecting all 787 airplanes still within the production system and must also create a plan to address the in-service fleet."
In the email, Stocker said that an employee saw what appeared to be an irregularity in a required 787 conformance test.

Stocker said in the email that after receiving the report, "we quickly reviewed the matter and learned that several people had been violating Company policies by not performing a required test, but recording the work as having been completed."

Stocker said Boeing promptly informed the FAA "about what we learned and are taking swift and serious corrective action with multiple" employees.
He added, "our engineering team has assessed that this misconduct did not create an immediate safety of flight issue."

Boeing said in April it expects a slower increase in the production rate and deliveries of its 787 Dreamliner widebody jets as the company wrestles with supplier shortages "on a few key parts."

A Boeing quality engineer recently criticized some of the manufacturing practices on the 787 and 777 widebody programs and testified last month before Congress.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression the 787 was a very reliable plane. Been in service for over a decade.

Insane they're not taking extreme caution with their working aircraft after all the 737-max problems.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
If people are skipping tests and lying about it then the company culture is in the toilet. That's the kind of thing that takes years to change

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression the 787 was a very reliable plane. Been in service for over a decade.

Insane they're not taking extreme caution with their working aircraft after all the 737-max problems.
The worry is less that the plane per-se is bad, but that things at Boeing have regressed to a point where the FAA does not believe that Boeing is capable of safely building new ones, with many corners cut in the production process. recent evidence with other aircraft does seem to bear this out.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know anything about engineering or science, but I wonder if there could be accumulated cyclic fatigue on the carbon-fiber bits of the plane fuselage, similar to what happened to the Titan submersible. If Boeing didn't test enough cycles, or ignored signs of stress, could it lead to loss of cabin pressure at high altitude?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like Boeing self-reported, which is good. Perhaps, finally, years too late they're taking safety more seriously and making it more of a priority. At this point, if they don't realize that safety is an existential issue for them then they're even dumber than they seem.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's got a pretty much spotless safety record

Yep! Logically, I realize that, and that if anything does happen, statistically it probably won't happen to mine. Anxiety isn't always logical, though.

Plus, selfishly, I just don't want any issues with flights being cancelled or rescheduled or whatever.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
Boeing is about to launch their Capsule that also has been plagued by technical set backs. I know it's not on topic but I hope all goes well.

I'm also surprised that there isn't a thread or prob I just don't check correctly.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Yep! Logically, I realize that, and that if anything does happen, statistically it probably won't happen to mine. Anxiety isn't always logical, though.

Plus, selfishly, I just don't want any issues with flights being cancelled or rescheduled or whatever.
If it helps at all, I flew in one last year and it was really nice. Very modern plane, very smooth experience.