• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/04/24/health/us-birth-rate-decline-2023-cdc
There were about 3.6 million babies born in 2023, or 54.4 live births for every 1,000 females ages 15 to 44, according to provisional data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics.

After a steep plunge in the first year of the Covid-19 pandemic, the fertility rate has fluctuated. But the 3% drop between 2022 and 2023 brought the rate just below the previous low from 2020, which was 56 births for every 1,000 women of reproductive age.

The highest rates have, over time, been shifting towards women in their 30s whereas before it used to be with women in their 20s," Hamilton said. "One factor, of course, is the option to wait. We had a pandemic, or there's an economic downturn, let's say – women in their 20s can postpone having a birth until things improve and they feel more comfortable. For older women, the option of waiting is not as viable."

Meanwhile, births continued to shift to older mothers. Older age groups saw smaller decreases in birth rates, and the birth rate was highest among women ages 30 to 34 – with about 95 births for every 1,000 women in this group in 2023. Women 40 and older were the only group to see an increase in birth rate, although – at less than 13 births for every 1,000 women – it remained lower than any other age group.

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
No one can afford to have kids, financially or for their own wellbeing mentally. Everyone's being churned into a paste by the machine and simply don't have the money or energy.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
s0zXbE9.png

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Wife and I can't afford children even if we wanted them. It's no surprise that no one is having children.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
For reference, the average daycare cost for one child (in Denver) is $1,500/mo. For daycare.

Who can afford that, and on top of everything else? Of course no one wants kids in this 2024 silent depression.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
For reference, the average daycare cost for one child (in Denver) is $1,500/mo. For daycare.

Who can afford that, and on top of everything else? Of course no one wants kids in this 2024 silent depression.
Whew that's expensive we pay a little over $1k a month, that doesn't include activities that we have them in outside of that.

Oct 25, 2017
I got married right out of college and ended up divorced RIGHT before we were planning on starting a family.

Every day I realize how grateful I am I didn't end up a single parent or even married to that specific person with kids. When you consider the skyrocketing costs here in the US now, I don't know if I ever want them. Which is insane to me because being a dad was everything I wanted in my early 20's.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Welcome to European levels.

I have a son and wouldn't want to change that. But if I would live in the US with your health care and costs for daycare, no parental leave. I would also not consider a child. Pro life my ass.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
It's so strange. Why wouldn't people want to have kids in this corporate first hellhole? Just cant put my finger on it... oh yeah the present is unlivable dog shit and the future promises to be worse.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Even as my wife and I start really considering that we're at a point in our lives where we want kids, it's such an absurdly difficult thing to even make sense of financially.

Oct 28, 2017
I've always been interested why immigration is seen as the answer. Sure, it increases the overall tax base and is eventually a net positive to the economy but what specifically about immigrants makes them more likely to have children than the native born population?

It just seems like a giant patchwork to avoid making conditions for the population better and enforce a race to the bottom. Meanwhile continuing to operate a permanent exploited class of workers globally in less developed countries for the chance of a golden ticket to a developed country.

mookie1515

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I were in a decently comfortable 'if it happens it happens' mode, and well it happened. Absolutely treasure being a parent but, my wife and I both work full time and I couldn't even fathom having the energy or money for a second child.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I are on a great financial position. The best ever. We are both 35, we have careers and we have our own house and zero debts. We've always both been against kids but recently we had an "itch" of what if and older age. We still decided against it, not financially but because we didn't want to bring a life into this world in this state. Don't get me wrong, I am not a nihilist. I love and enjoy life and wish it'd go on forever (healthy of course!) but the state of the world is depressing and I have a disdain for SOME other human beings that I wouldn't want to imprint on my kids. We went with "fuck no" although we are open for discussion; the clock is ticking though! Meanwhile we'll keep traveling and getting great food.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
Our childcare costs are €35k per year. We are both working good jobs but it's still such a huge drain. Once they are in school it'll be like having another income.

But aside from the money the stress of having kids is nuts. I feel out parents generation didn't have to deal with half the shit we have to think about. I remember my father saying he had never changed a nappy.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Even ignoring the financial component I'm just too mentally unstable for it. For a lot of human history I feel like I probably wouldn't have been allowed to participate in normative society though, so someone like me not reproducing isn't too atypical.

If it was something I really wanted to do and I had a spouse who also did, I could always move to a LCOL area I suppose. I'm not against ever having kids, it's just not something I see happening realistically.

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been interested why immigration is seen as the answer. Sure, it increases the overall tax base and is eventually a net positive to the economy but what specifically about immigrants makes them more likely to have children than the native born population?

It just seems like a giant patchwork to avoid making conditions for the population better and enforce a race to the bottom. Meanwhile continuing to operate a permanent exploited class of workers globally in less developed countries for the chance of a golden ticket to a developed country.
The most pro family countries in the world also have low fertility rates. People just don't want to have kids.

Money seems like a factor but so does modern day women empowerment.

OP
OP
CrazyDude

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017

Since declining birth rates are a global problem, a lot of these developing countries are going to suffer exponentially when their shrinking youth population start moving to rich countries. Immigration is a temporary solution for rich countries to the detriment of developing ones.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I,have 2 kids and I love them, but I would have zero if I was young today.
I have a 2-and-a-half-year-old 'oops baby' whom I love to absolute pieces and would die for. But knowing what I know now I would absolutely not choose this for myself in the circumstances my partner and I were in. Because damn has it been hard, and that's with it not being quite as nightmare inducing raising kids in Australia as opposed to the US. The amount of stress this has added to my partner and I's relationship, both from a lack of energy, lack of money, and lack of time has been quite debilitating. I'm happy despite all of that, but boy is this not the life I imaged for myself even half a decade ago, and having our baby has single handedly put owning a home from a reality we could have achieved this year, to probably another decade away at least.

I don't blame anyone for choosing not to have kids, particularly these days.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since declining birth rates are a global problem, a lot of these developing countries are going to suffer exponentially when their shrinking youth population start moving to rich countries. Immigration is a temporary solution for rich countries to the detriment of developing ones.
it's pretty much only a problem in developed nations. Developing and undeveloped nations tend to have high birth rates, hence why global population is still going up

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think those in charge understand how expensive it is to raise children. Do you know how much a month of daycare alone cost for one kid?

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Everyone's time and energy is currently spent on working for a meager paycheck just to be able to have their own basic survival necessities like shelter and food addressed. So yeah, not shocking news.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Money seems like a factor but so does modern day women empowerment.

Money only goes so far. Just throwing money at programs is one of those 'necessary, but not sufficient' things in the equation.

Culture really matters. It's not just women's empowerment and education, though that definitely plays a part.

South Korea, Japan, Singapore, all have calamity-level birth rates despite spending a lot, because once you get into ideal, high-intensity parenting cultural noms and pressure you just run out of time and energy. People can't do it or do it once and swear off doing it again.

More on this at the link below. The podcast ep was excellent, but here you can get the transcript and go right into the cultural conversation, which I thought was the most profound section.

My wife and I didn't have kids because we're both just wholly unsuitable parents when put up against expectations from our peer group and we knew it.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In BC, Canada, daycare is pretty cheap now. It's like $400 unless you go for a super premium place.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also the global population will peak eventually. Countries need to start implementing policies to deal with a contracting population.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
I don't think those in charge understand how expensive it is to raise children. Do you know how much a month of daycare alone cost for one kid?

It is not just an issue of costs. Nordic countries for example have plenty of social programs, benefits and safety nets for mothers and people still are not having children.
As hard as it might be for people in power to accept, it feels like there simply cannot be such thing as an industrialized and urbanized society that also has high fertility rate.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Living in the US and maintaining a good career as well as some semblance of a healthy marriage/relationship is hard enough. Having even a single child would sink my wife and I (and we know it).

Pass.

Miedo

Oct 27, 2017
I live in Tokyo , and have two children . We just had a second child a few months ago and my wife went back to work as of today .

Daycare is 200 dollars a month for the both of them as second kid onward is free . The other child's daycare is still heavily subsidized as it only costs 200 dollars or so . Medical care for my children is free, we get a stipend every month from the government of about 200 dollars per child , and they just made it so in Tokyo high school tuition will now be effectively free.
I can't even imagine how my family would survive if we had to pay for these things like people do in America .

Yet the birthrate is even lower here due to the work culture just being horrible. I made my wife promise she will only work an hour of overtime a day instead of the 3-4 she used to do when we only had our first child .

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
declining birth rate is a good thing overall. Just doesn't fit with infinite growth, capitalism and the way retirement is paid for by those in work.

Dont' make poeple have more babies, fix the system. Ironically the system being a key driver to the lower birth rate