SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
The number of people filing claims for unemployment benefits dropped sharply last week as the US labor department switched to a new method of counting weekly jobless claims figures.

However, last week the labor department announced it was switching its statistical model to better reflect the extraordinary number of unemployment claims made during the pandemic.

While the fall in the latest claims numbers suggests firings are slowing, the job market remains deeply troubled. The labor department said the total number of people claiming benefits in all programmes for the week ending 15 August was over 29 million, an increase of 2 million from the previous week.

On Friday, the August jobs report will be released. The government's broadest look at the labor market is expected to show another dip in the unemployment level to below 10% as workers are rehired following the lifting of quarantine measures. The level, however, is expected to remain close to the peak witnessed in the Great Recession.

www.theguardian.com

US jobless claims drop sharply as government changes counting method

Claims down to 881,000 from 1m the previous week, after labor department said it was changing its statistical model to better reflect impact of Covid

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like administrations have been playing the numbers games with unemployment numbers for as long as I can remember. Counting and not counting certain people, whatever makes it seem better at the moment. Rarely does anyone ever seem concerned with the actual people the numbers represent.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like administrations have been playing the numbers games with unemployment numbers for as long as I can remember. Counting and not counting certain people, whatever makes it seem better at the moment. Rarely does anyone ever seem concerned with the actual people the numbers represent.
number games with everything

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Came across this earlier. Apparently, the more accurate number is 1.6 million last week.

BREAKING: 1.6 million *new* unemployment claims (regular + PUA) were filed last week, up from 1.4 million the week before.
Jobless claims remain 4.5 times as high as a year ago. They have barely come down in August.
**The US has 29 million people on unemployment aid**

Last edited:

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I remember when the GOP was claiming the Obama admin was "fixing" the jobs numbers to improve his chances of re-election back in 2012. It is amazing how everything they accused Obama of doing, Trump has done and more so. And not a peep of protest from them.

Just constant projection.

Agent Matt

Oct 31, 2017
Is this kind of like how the Covid numbers mysteriously improved the week after the hospital data started getting sent to the Trump administration instead of the CDC?

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when the GOP was claiming the Obama admin was "fixing" the jobs numbers to improve his chances of re-election back in 2012. It is amazing how everything they accused Obama of doing, Trump has done and more so. And not a peep of protest from them.

They did it in 2016 and 2017 too
--we should have expected it given how amped up team Trump was about Obama 'faking' the unemployment rate.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Is this kind of like how the Covid numbers mysteriously improved the week after the hospital data started getting sent to the Trump administration instead of the CDC?
Did they, though? John Hopkins numbers never relied on the CDC anyway and have always been sourced directly from states, and they've always been the source cited by media outlets for COVID-19.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Trump explicitly said this during his campaign.

Agent Matt

Oct 31, 2017
Did they, though? John Hopkins numbers never relied on the CDC anyway and have always been sourced directly from states, and they've always been the source cited by media outlets for COVID-19.

According to NY Times, supposedly the number of new cases went up every week for at least a month until 7/20 (when the reporting method changed), at which time they decreased. Pardon the derail.

Chunky Alien

Feb 25, 2019
1*JPIwtRDrRmHlzyGkJ91f1w.png