Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Dems flip a special election that causes R's to panic like not two days ago
Holy shit guys DEMS IN DISARRAY

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

Lindsey Graham tells @DanaBashCNN that Trump only will listen to you if you're nice to him. "He can be as dark as charcoal and lilly white, it doesn't matter as long as you're nice to him. You can be the pope and criticize him, it doesn't matter, he'll go after the pope."

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
President Donald Trump personally made the decision to curtail the testimony of former chief White House political strategist Steve Bannon before the House Intelligence Committee, according to two people with firsthand knowledge of the matter.

Trump acted to limit Bannon's testimony based on legal advice provided by Uttam Dhillon, a deputy White House counsel, who concluded that the administration might have legitimate executive privilege claims to restrict testimony by Bannon and other current and former aides to the president, according to these same sources.

But Dhillon has also concluded that Bannon and other current and former Trump administration officials do not have legitimate claims to executive privilege when it comes to providing information or testimony to special counsel Robert Mueller, according to the sources.
http://foreignpolicy.com/2018/01/18/trump-ordered-bannon-to-limit-testimony/

LinktothePastGOAT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

051117trump-angry.jpg

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
November is a long way away. There will be poll movement in both directions between now and then. Way too early to panic.
Yup - especially when there's a government shutdown about to happen like, right now. That's going to hugely affect polling numbers for everyone.

I think it's funny the worrywarts caution us not to get excited about polls for far-off elections, and then proceed to panic about polls for far-off elections.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take it over, say, whatever the hell Flake is doing

100% agree.

But it's not, it's top down. Bottom up is starting locally, making changes there, then expanding upwards. Top Down is using a big, wide hammer (state government to solve local issues, national policies to fix state issues, etc.) to address issues. You're arguing for the latter. (because local communities won't fix this on their own because they explicitly don't want to.)

There are different axis here. From an authority standpoint, it's top down because the government is doing it as part of a larger plan, yeah it's top down. But I am working under the assumption that all of these options are being controlled by government. The Foxconn deal and the potential Amazon deal are top down in that sense as well.

I am thinking along the axis of the actual implementation. Along that line I would consider starting with infrastructure to be bottom up and starting by bringing in a large employer top down.

Holmes

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all so annoying the polls last month were as useless as the ones today. The election is in 10 months. Obviously the numbers won't be the same all the time, they'll go up and down

jfc

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
What happens if, in the absence of a CR, Trump simply ignores it and continues to run the government at full steam?

What are the remedies available to Congress?

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing surprising me is that Fox News hasn't blamed Hillary for a pending shutdown ...... yet.

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018
Wow, I had no idea there was a bill going into the House on sexual harassment. Seems pretty good.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/co...dmark-sexual-harassment-overhaul-bill-n838436

The most consequential proposal would prohibit lawmakers from using taxpayer funds to settle claims. The accused must reimburse the U.S. Treasury within 90 days of a settlement, and if they do not their wages will be garnished. If that's not enough, a members' retirement account and Social Security could also be garnished. Lawmakers would also have to use a new certification process to prove such settlements are not paid out of their congressional office accounts.

The bill also creates a legal office to represent complainants similar to the existing one that provides counsel and representation for members of Congress.

It also prohibits employment retribution, allowing complainants to keep their job while the process proceeds, by working remotely or taking paid leave.

To overhaul the complaint process, which has often been called cumbersome and degrading for the victim, it removes the requirement that a nondisclosure agreement be signed in order for someone to open a complaint.

Furthermore, any confidentiality agreement must be agreed upon by both parties. It also removes a mandatory 30-day counseling stage and 30-day mediation stage that has often intimidated accusers from moving forward. Instead, an investigation is opened immediately and mediation is voluntary.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100% agree.

There are different axis here. From an authority standpoint, it's top down because the government is doing it as part of a larger plan, yeah it's top down. But I am working under the assumption that all of these options are being controlled by government. The Foxconn deal and the potential Amazon deal are top down in that sense as well.

I am thinking along the axis of the actual implementation. Along that line I would consider starting with infrastructure to be bottom up and starting by bringing in a large employer top down.
Those are both top down, the only difference is the direct public spending vs subsidized private spending distinction.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
The HFC having the nerve to post this when they're blocking the CR in the House is fucking hilarious. My God, what a mess.

They're opposed to the CR because it's another stopgap measure that gets in the way of the draconian budget they already passed last year and even more draconian appropriations cuts they'll make in the upcoming year

Status
Not open for further replies.