• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie is to the right of the party median on social issues overall. Thats a legitimate issue.
Bernie is very popular among young minorities because he speaks to both class and race issues. He's made tone deaf comments, but its still better than most white politicians, including Hillary. Also correct me if im wrong but hes had high approval from the Naacp for the majority of his career. Also given how hes ahead of the curve on yemen and now palestine he'd actually be good for minorities internationally. Stop the bombs yo.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
I actually think this is a good point. Reagan describing protectionism as a "cheap and hollow form of nationalism", was pretty spot on. Pot kettle black etc, but it's true. It was a good way for democrats to get a lot of congressional rural power in the 80s. It was being nationalist without really doing it.

Interesting that you quote Reagan to bolster your point. Regardless of the semantics, trade unions and their issues are considered left-wing and what is maligned as "protectionism" is actually keeping wages livable.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that you quote Reagan to bolster your point. Regardless of the semantics, trade unions and their issues are considered left-wing and what is maligned as "protectionism" is actually keeping wages livable.
Reagan/Bush are far to the left of today's GOP on Immigration/Trade.

Protectionism isn't about livable wages, it's about trying to avoid competition from external industries in other countries to maintain your competitive advantage artificially.

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Michigan GOP panel votes to strip power from Democratic secretary of state
Lansing — Senate Republicans are advancing a controversial plan that would strip incoming Democratic Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson of the power to enforce the state's campaign finance laws.

The Senate Elections Committee on Wednesday approved legislation that would instead shift campaign finance oversight to a bipartisan committee. The six members would be picked from a list submitted by each of the two major political parties.

The legislation is among a slew of lame-duck power play proposals by legislative Republicans, who will retain their majorities next year in the House and Senate as Democrats take over top statewide offices, including the secretary of state post that has been occupied by a Republican the past 24 years.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
Reagan/Bush are far to the left of today's GOP on Immigration/Trade.

That's beside the point - look at who was pro and anti NAFTA in the 80s for a clue how this issue is traditionally perceived. You can call being trade-cautious "right-wing" all you like, or reframe it as a social issue - it has been a left wing issue in the past.

Protectionism isn't about livable wages, it's about trying to avoid competition from external industries in other countries to maintain your competitive advantage artificially.

I was referring to how Reagan was using the term "protectionism" in that specific instance.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Pretty much everyone running in 2020 will be running on a platform influenced in part by Bernie. His impact on Democratic policies shouldn't be brushed aside.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie is very popular among young minorities because he speaks to both class and race issues. He's made tone deaf comments, but its still better than most white politicians, including Hillary. Also correct me if im wrong but hes had high approval from the Naacp for the majority of his career. Also given how hes ahead of the curve on yemen and now palestine he'd actually be good for minorities internationally. Stop the bombs yo.

I'm going with a they didnt either know any better or the issue with wages overwhelming the racial element.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
You sort of have to go back to get a lot of pro free trade quotes because everyone runs against it now. Obama ran against it for both his elections and then tried to push through the TPP in the lame duck.

But they didn't really put the facts out there (for a very long time at least) because Obama knew people are dumb when it comes to trade, but the process of sort of just going through it without getting into the details and actually making strong arguments of why it would have been a good deal made it seem sketchy, and even people who were on here (or the old place I guess) happy that Trump canceled it after he won... Hillary had to disown a deal she called the gold standards. We are getting in to really stupid territory here.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
You sort of have to go back to get a lot of pro free trade quotes because everyone runs against it now. Obama ran against it for both his elections and then tried to push through the TPP in the lame duck.

But they didn't really put the facts out there (for a very long time at least) because Obama knew people are dumb when it comes to trade, but the process of sort of just going through it without getting into the details and actually making strong arguments of why it would have been a good deal made it seem sketchy, and even people who were on here (or the old place I guess) happy that Trump canceled it after he won... Hillary had to disown a deal she called the gold standards. We are getting in to really stupid territory here.

You've certainly touched on why a lot of people on the left had a problem with both Obama and Hillary, regardless of your views on trade.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Guns, Immigration, Racial issues.
I think racial issues is legitimately something to debate that feels more like a Rorschach test to one's own feelings towards Bernie that I have no desire to litigate because I don't hate myself that much. But, immigration? To the right of my your average Dem? That's... not right and feels like projection of beliefs than actual substantial policy goals of Sanders.

Kind of feel like you're reaching here instead of pointing out economic issues you disagree with Bernie on.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's beside the point - look at who was pro and anti NAFTA in the 80s for a clue how this issue is traditionally perceived. You can call being trade-cautious "right-wing" all you like, or reframe it as a social issue - it has been a left wing issue in the past.

I was referring to how Reagan was using the term "protectionism" in that specific instance.
The Democrats and Republicans were much more ideologically mixed prior to the '90s, when the slow Dixiecrat bleed that was occurring during Reagan accellerated into overdrive in '94. Reagan's amnesty is impossible under the modern GOP because of the nationalized southern strategy realigning the parties. This resulted in a number of things over the course of Nixon/Reagan/HW Bush that don't cleanly fit into a trraditional left/right-wing axis because they're hitting different parts of sociail/economic policy combinations.

Unions are fundamentally exclusionary, they act as a cartel restricting a labor pool, which is why they've had a history of opposing international competition, opposing immigration (more competition for them on the job market) and great deal of them to non-white American workers for a long time. Even though Unions are left wing, this aspect of them isn't left wing behavior.
I think racial issues is legitimately something to debate that feels more like a Rorschach test to one's own feelings towards Bernie that I have no desire to litigate because I don't hate myself that much. But, immigration? To the right of my your average Dem? That's... not right and feels like projection of beliefs than actual substantial policy goals of Sanders.

Kind of feel like you're reaching here instead of pointing out economic issues you disagree with Bernie on.
When someone keeps saying racist shit, to believe they have issues with actually believing the shit that comes out of their mouth isn't "projection", it's acknowledging reality.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
You've certainly touched on why a lot of people on the left had a problem with both Obama and Hillary, regardless of your views on trade.
I totally get why people don't support it. Or disagree with me, which is totally fine. It's hard to expect voters to want something the politicians are afraid to talk about or endorse. John Kasich was the only person I think on either side in the last primary to actually make decent pro trade arguments.

But we really need to pick a side. I don't think it's right honestly to campaign against something then pass it in the lame duck. That's one reason people can't stand politicians and look to outsiders. We should either just chose a Sherrod Brown approach or embrace globalism. One foot in and one foot out doesn't do anyone any good.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
We won't agree, it's why I didnt bother.
Bernie Sanders on Immigration:
https://youtu.be/waZLCueCSnU

Bernie Sanders on disproportionate Black incarceration in Vermont:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/vermonts-black-leaders-we-were-invisible-to-bernie-sanders

Bernie Sanders on disproportionate drug related Black Incarceration in general:
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...-needs-black-voters-to-win-but-can#.hboAVyRy9

Bernie Sanders on not dumping nuclear waste in poor minority communities:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bernie-sanders-sierra-blanca-nuclear-waste/

So no. We're not going to agree.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Well, it's more like specific groups of people in specific states that are important to winning are against it, so that's why Democrat's talk tough on trade. In reality, the Democratic coalition as a group has never been more pro-free trade.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...agreements-more-critical-of-tariff-increases/

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017

I don't really see Bernie being to the right overall of the party on immigration either.

The party "overall", isn't great on immigration despite the narrative from the right that every dem supports open boarders. Bernie is middle of the pack really as far as I can tell.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, he's def running, just didn't want it public yet.
So we've gone from re-litigating 2016 Bernie vs. Hillary to pre-litigating 2020 Bernie vs. Beto

Someone shoot me in the fucking face
THIS

Fucking stop it, people. Stop replying to Bernie stans. Put them on ignore.

At least I flew through catching up on the past few hours of this thread.
Ask and ye shall receive!

I guess it's an improvement from last time, at least....

Don't post pictures of Ooze here. I'm serious.
8257.jpg

RustyNails

You know as much as I hate Cruz, I think this look suits him. It actually frames his face and gives it shape instead of looking like hes gonna turn into a puddle at any moment.
Agreed.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see Bernie being to the right overall of the party on immigration either.

The party "overall", isn't great on immigration despite the narrative from the right that every dem supports open boarders. Bernie is middle of the pack really as far as I can tell.
Yeah, I mean, I'm not Bernie's Biggest Fan, but he seems fairly middle of the road on immigration.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why it's taboo for politicians to have facial hair. What would Lincoln have been without his beard?

maxresdefault.jpg

Dude got 10 years younger in 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.