• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The 2016 election is such an embarrassing indictment on the American media and its people that'll never be erased, even if (insert favorite candidate here) won 75% of the vote.

How could we be so fucking stupid?
My eyes rolled back so fucking much when Andrea Mitchell opened the nightly news with news about Comeys letter.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, guess fucking what. We already offered $25 billion for the wall and DACA either this year. Trump said no because it wasn't harsh enough! Steven Miller said no! So spare me your bullshit about this being Democrats' fault.

I'm not that interested in assigning blame, at least not in high stakes legislative negotiations. To a first approximation, of course, nearly all bullshit in the political process is down to some Republican transgression or other, in this case a willingness to hold people who are American citizens in all but name hostage in a legal limbo to build a thoroughly useless and racist wall.

But if we liked $25 billion for the wall and DACA in January, I don't know why we should refuse $5 billion for the wall and DACA now that our negotiating position has improved.

They won't pass DACA, this hypothetical exists only in an imaginary world where they're rational actors and not stupid xenophobes.

I think there's a reasonable chance that this is true, but if it is, isn't playing along and letting Trump torpedo yet another bipartisan compromise good politics? If voters like compromise and Trump is only pretending to be willing to compromise, call his bluff.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I believe the AG actually is responsible for it staying open this long (Trump wanted to close it, likely to try to head off any investigations, but the AG intervened and prevented them from doing so).

Yeah the reporting i heard said Trump/Co wanted to shut it down sooner. So the AG held it up to be shut down with government supervision.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the AG actually is responsible for it staying open this long (Trump wanted to close it, likely to try to head off any investigations, but the AG intervened and prevented them from doing so).

basically it's being dissolved and the government will handle the documents and where the remaining money goes (to real charities)

To prevent them from just stuffing it back into Trumps pocket. Which is what they were trying to do privately and be able to hide the documents and money.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Trump has had one stupid policy position since his stupid announcement, and it's that damn freaking wall. Under no circumstances do you give him his stupid wall when we literally hold the cards on all funding issues. You don't hand your opponent signature legislation. It's idiotic.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That wall is just gonna turn into a violent symbol of unrest if it ever gets build. History has shown us shit like that always goes bad.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
Should we reconsider whether we should take the wall-for-DACA trade?

The wall is symbolism - it's security theater. It wastes a bunch of money, it employs construction workers in Texas and Arizona and New Mexico in a make-work program, it pisses off landowners in the border area, but it doesn't make border enforcement any more effective or brutal. It's a sop to conservative vaguely Freudian psychology about the country being figuratively penetrated by outside forces. It doesn't affect anything that matters on a national scale.

And DACA is, well... 800,000 kids and young adults who are living in legal limbo and delaying trips home and applications to college and everything else until things get sorted out, wondering whether they'll have to return to a home they can't even remember. It's real shit. It's a lot of people. And, incidentally, if you've been bitching about democrats not taking power plays seriously, it's nearly a million new voters in a blue-leaning constituency.

I don't have a dog in the DACA fight; I'm not a recipient and I don't personally know anyone who is. But I do have a pre-existing condition, and I have to say that if Democrats were unwilling to trade the wall for protecting my health care, and in the long run my life, I would be fucking livid.

One fact that often gets overlooked in discussions about why the wall is a terrible idea is the creation of access roads during construction. Roads will have to be built all along the US-Mexico border in areas that previously were desert so construction materials can be delivered. The drug trade already makes use of underground tunnels and turning hazardous desert into a paved road will only serve as a distribution gift to the cartels.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

McConnell says that after Schumer rejected his offer, "I'm in conversation with the White House on the way forward" for a gov't funding bill that Trump will sign.

"I believe incoming Speaker Pelosi has little latitude to make a deal," McConnell says with a grin, hinting she's worried about her left flank.

REPORTER: "Are you convinced we won't see a shutdown over Christmas?"

McCONNELL: "Yeah, I am."

McCONNELL says he's negotiating with Schumer to expedite "some kind of package" on judges and executive nominations before the holidays.

"We've got a lot of them stacked up."

Manu Raju @mkraju

GOP and Democratic senators, emerging from private lunches, make it clear they believe the only way to avoid a shut down is to pass a short-term CR to keep government open until early next year. Just asked Richard Shelby about a short-term deal, he said it's "looking toward that"

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Trump has had one stupid policy position since his stupid announcement, and it's that damn freaking wall. Under no circumstances do you give him his stupid wall when we literally hold the cards on all funding issues. You don't hand your opponent signature legislation. It's idiotic.
^^ this

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
So we're just going to live in a permanent fucking situation where a government shut down is likely every other month?

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO at McConnell implying Pelosi will have trouble whipping votes and getting something through her caucus.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
McConnell speaks for Pelosi now? That's going to go over well. If Schumer gives them all their toxic judge appointments, AGAIN, he can fuck off too.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017

Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

McConnell says that after Schumer rejected his offer, "I'm in conversation with the White House on the way forward" for a gov't funding bill that Trump will sign.

"I believe incoming Speaker Pelosi has little latitude to make a deal," McConnell says with a grin, hinting she's worried about her left flank.

REPORTER: "Are you convinced we won't see a shutdown over Christmas?"

McCONNELL: "Yeah, I am."

McCONNELL says he's negotiating with Schumer to expedite "some kind of package" on judges and executive nominations before the holidays.

"We've got a lot of them stacked up."

Manu Raju @mkraju

GOP and Democratic senators, emerging from private lunches, make it clear they believe the only way to avoid a shut down is to pass a short-term CR to keep government open until early next year. Just asked Richard Shelby about a short-term deal, he said it's "looking toward that"

I don't know why Trump and McConnell keep making the argument that Nancy being worried by progressives is somehow the reason she doesn't want the wall. She never wanted to begin with so it doesn't matter if she does have to worry about other Democrats. Also a CR bill will just make it harder to pass it in next year because the House Dems are in control and red state Dem senators don't have to care.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
LMAO at McConnell implying Pelosi will have trouble whipping votes and getting something through her caucus.
That's rich coming from the man who stays up until 4am writing bills in crayon on cocktail napkins and couldn't pass a bill the GOP had campaigned on for seven years.

I don't know why Trump and McConnell keep making the argument that Nancy being worried by progressives is somehow the reason she doesn't want the wall. She never wanted to begin with so it doesn't matter if she does have to worry about other Democrats. Also a CR bill will just make it harder to pass it in next year because the House Dems are in control and red state Dem senators don't have to care.
The more poignant point is there aren't really many red state senators left. The only one who would face any immediate repercussions is Jones, who seems to appreciate that he's on borrowed time.

McCaskill, Donnelly, Heitkamp and Nelson lost. Manchin, Tester and Brown don't have to worry about re-election for another six years (and Manchin, probably never again). Same with Casey, Baldwin and Stabenow whose states will probably go to the Democrat in 2020 anyway. The only other red state senator is Gary Peters from Michigan who, see the last sentence.

A lot of the crummy judicial deals were made because 1) Schumer really doesn't have much if any leverage with that and 2) he wanted to burnish the red state Democrats' "moderate" credentials. Election's over and number 2 is out the window. He still doesn't have much leverage for appointments, but at least with standard legislation there's really nothing McConnell can wield against him and the other Democrats.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

89c.gif

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Seriously fuck whatever Sarah Sanders says. Listening to her is like listening to a Ronald McDonald clown hired to represent McDonalds after an Ecoli outbreak. "Fake news, our food is healthy *Do do dodo do do do do do do do*"

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Dow just dropped in the negative. Still a chance for some green but I really thought we'd jump 300 points after a 500 points loss yesterday.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Lol at mcturtle. There will be no wall. You will never live to see a Republican majority. If you are lucky you will live long enough to see a Democrat majority undo everything you shat our and continue progressing.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Transcript for Comey's second interview was released: https://judiciary.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Comey-interview-12-17-18-redacted.pdf

Mentions 'Clinton' 60 times.

Also this bit:

Mr. Gowdy : So, again, I'm trying to understand. It is not the FBI's job, unless I'm mistaken, to correct false statements that political figures say to one another. So why did you send two Bureau agents to interview Michael Flynn?

Mr. Comey : Because one of the FBI's jobs is to understand the efforts of foreign adversaries to influence, coerce, corrupt the Government of the United States. So they were sent there as part of that counterintelligence mission to try and understand why it appeared to be the case that the National Security Advisor was making false statements about his conversations with the Russians to the Vice President of the United States.

giphyftc8g.gif

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
So many assholes are soon to be gone from our lives come January, Gowdy being one of them.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Lol at mcturtle. There will be no wall. You will never live to see a Republican majority. If you are lucky you will live long enough to see a Democrat majority undo everything you shat our and continue progressing.
People always talk about pissing on Trump's grave but if the day turtle man dies isn't a day celebrated by millions of Americans, I'm going to be very disappointed. He's one of the greatest villains this nation has ever seen.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Capuano salty af that he got mauled by Ayanna:
https://www.wbur.org/news/2018/12/18/capuano-exit-interview

On being the target of "angry" voters:
It's not me. It's whoever was in office in a place that has progressives. That [has] a lot of young people that don't have a clue what happened yesterday, never mind five or 10 years ago. I get all that. And that's fine. That's not a problem to me. My hope is that it ends up something positive. My hope is that the people who came out to vote for the first time or one of the few times from this primary continue to vote and learn these issues and figure out how to actually change the system. Changing a few of the players in the system is insufficient.

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.