Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Yeah that seems fair.

Lower court judges can still be subject to the current system.

I actually feel like they should put the District Courts in the hands of the Senators directly, like the old Blue Slip rule on steroids. If it's a district court in your state, the two senators are responsible for nominating an appointee. Would be more reflective of the District courts matching the kind of state they came from.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Would you rather vote for the guy your mom wanted to fuck, or me an intellectual who masturbated so much and in a way that all my roommates knew about it.

Jan 18, 2018
I'm catching up on the drama I missed this weekend.

Disappointed in the lack of comparisons between the new forum rollout and the Hillary Clinton campaign

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I actually feel like they should put the District Courts in the hands of the Senators directly, like the old Blue Slip rule on steroids. If it's a district court in your state, the two senators are responsible for nominating an appointee. Would be more reflective of the District courts matching the kind of state they came from.
These are all great ideas

Let's do it

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Dems aren't stacking. Best we can do is hope Thomas retires under a Dem.

I'm fucking sick of reading posts like this. There are no norms anymore. The other party is a criminal organization that wants us to die starving. If we can fire up our base and take back power, there is literally nothing we should stop short of doing to make sure the enemy is never able to take power again. I'm absolutely done with the "reasoned" Democratic Party that got us into this fucking mess in the first place. Wake up.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was for saying that the staff going forward with the restructuring was similar to the Bush administration marching towards the Iraq War.
In his defense they really should have consulted more than just a "prominent" few.

I had no idea this was happening until the day of and I post here every day.

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if Kirblar's post history was scrubbed at all? If it wasn't , it is hard to see a bannable offense. I could be wrong though. Would love to see some direct links of where he crossed the line. It seems to me he wasn't yelling mods are war criminals , but making comparisons to the judgement of those in charge...

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Any MA dems in here? Who you picking in the primary tomorrow/today? I know rent control backfires and development actually works, which the globe tells me means vote Gonzalez, but idk about these state education or mbta management issues.

I wasn't paying attention to state-level politics for deval Patrick's governorship, so Idk if i should see Gonzalez's experience as the massive negative that my gut assumes it to be due to the bain association

Veritigo

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Beto's band was pretty good!

http://remezcla.com/features/music/beto-orourke-punk-band-foss-cedric-bixler-zavala/

Wasn't expecting emo (Rise, the b-side) after watching the cable access performance. A-side is straight up hardcore punk.

In any case, it's an interesting interview with Cedric Bixler-Zavala of At The Drive-In (and Beto's band).
Oh wow I had no idea he was in a band with Bixler-Zavala! I'm a huge At The Drive-In and Mars Volta fan. That's so awesome, no wonder Ted Cruz hates it.

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that these were Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn's reactions to Meryl Streep's speech blasting Trump at the Golden Globes two years ago.

mel-gibson-vince-vaughn-meryl-streep-reaction-Axx.png

Oct 25, 2017
Aww I'm sad I have to dislike Vince Vaughn.
(he's kind of been trash for a while)

Random quotes from the review:

"artfully lit humping"

"being branded a racist today is like being branded a Communist in the 1950s"

"is being bullied by black kids"

"she leaves her infant son at home to return to work for the first time is so overstated she's like a jittery crackhead"

"It's bad like lasagna in a can"

Wasn't "Three Billboards" also a movie for redhats?

Not really. It was just tone deaf made by an outside who has no concept of middle America or our history of racism. It's just a mess, but not maliciously so.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck NBC. They were covering up for Harvey.
Are you referring to this?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...arrow-relationship-1139367?utm_source=twitter

Late on Monday night, Farrow released a statement on Twitter: "I've avoided commenting on the specifics of NBC's role in the Weinstein story to keep the focus on the women and their allegations," Farrow wrote. "But executives there have now produced a memo that contains numerous false or misleading statements, so I'll say briefly: their list of sources is incomplete and omits women who were either identified in the NBC story or offered to be."

He added: "The suggestion to take the story to another outlet was first raised by NBC, not me, and I took them up on it only after it became clear that I was being blocked from further reporting. The story was twice cleared and deemed reportable by legal and standards only to be blocked by executives who refused to allow us to seek comment from Harvey Weinstein."

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see. Thanks. Never saw it, just heard about it.
Wesley Morris wrote about it for the Times:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/18/movies/three-billboards-outside-ebbing-missouri.html

Warning: It spoils major events in the movie.

One of the toys is the word "nigger." Another is the concept of political correctness. There's a scene between Mildred and a hotheaded dimwit cop — the racist — named Jason (Sam Rockwell), in which she baits his racism by calling him a "nigger torturer." He hits the roof. "Person-of-color-torturing" is what Jason says you must call it now, with exasperated lament. They volley the word and poke fun at its impropriety. You can tell that Mr. McDonagh relished the application of absurdism to the political correction (he knows "person-of-color-torturing" really is linguistic torture, maybe even for a person of color). But he also seems to like the loaded nonsense in the sound of the word "nigger." What you hear in a scene like this is a kind of careless virtuosity. It's a fun scene that's sunk by how much fun it's having with things you're not supposed to have fun with. The whole movie is like that — it's like Mildred — rude for sport and proud of it.
"Three Billboards" is a cupcake rolled in glass. It all just feels off.

Status
Not open for further replies.