• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I mean i dont think it either but it all relies on the response at this point knowing how gaf went down. Everyone just on edge after that.

Yeah, it's understandable, but it's also a case where knowing history makes people leap to the worst possible scenario.

This is probably what will happen. Like Public Office, you need to rotate people in and out in order to prevent things from getting corrupted over time.

Vote for Pixieking for mod!

:p

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I don't think that Era is going to explode and die, it just might have a massive shake-up in order to "reboot", and have some more contingencies in place. But it's really bedwetting to think it's gonna get nuked in some way because of this, imo.

What needs to happen is just, remove the bad actors, write up a COE and establish some hard guidelines around diversity and inclusion. and have any mod join and accept the conditions bases on those principles, which I would recommend by built by a round table of the greater community to ensure we can make sure we create an inclusive space not tolerant to bad actors.
This is my one go to place I enjoy to read, I would really hate to see it fall apart from stupid choices.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AtDi89m.png

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
The irony of being banned for that...

But, since the mods are otherwise occupied, I think I should say that we should maybe keep the non-politics talk to a minimum.

(See! I'm mod material, I am! :p )

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I'd love to run for mod! My platform in its entirety:
Ban homophobic/transphobic/racist/misogynistic/literal Nazi shit on sight with strict enforcement and actual bans instead of 1 day timeouts for being an irredeemable asshole that we shouldn't want on this forums in the first place. This isn't a business. We shouldn't be coddling people to try to keep their web traffic. Ban deplorables. Period.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
It's easier to convince other countries to change when you've also committed/on track to zero carbon. Right now, China can say that the United States isn't serious, so why go completely green? Sometimes you have to lead by example.

You're just never going to convince countries heavy reliant on fossil fuels for revenue. Quite a few countries in the Middle East, Africa and LATAM would collapse. Russia wouldn't survive either.

To maintain influence you're going to see world powers keep buying fossil fuels. The Chinese are already too heavily invested in Africa to let that all go.

A Green Transition bail-out fund sounds like a grand idea that'll never be implemented (like the Green Climate Fund that's already running out of revenue).

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
You're just never going to convince countries heavy reliant on fossil fuels for revenue. Quite a few countries in the Middle East, Africa and LATAM would collapse. Russia wouldn't survive either.

This confuses me. I've lived in Kuwait and Jordan, and both countries have a fuck-ton of sun every year. Could they not shift to solar and export excess energy produced to nearby countries? I don't know enough about solar energy storage and to know if it's feasible or not - the most I know is that homeowners can sell their excess produced back to the local energy company.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Poliera Discord invite DM for me please. Didn't realize we even had one (and it will finally push me to set up Discord for both PoliERA and FFXIV).

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Click Me!

The link above takes you to a site that shows the current amount of coal plants in the world. And the ones that will be built soon. Outside of Europe and North America, it's all coal and oil.
This confused me. I've lived in Kuwait and Jordan, and both countries have a fuck-ton of sun every year. Could they not shift to solar and export excess energy produced to nearby countries? I don't know enough about solar energy storage and to know if it's feasible or not - the most I know is that homeowners can sell their excess produced back to the local energy company.
While I can't speak to those two countries in question, but storage and transmission are the real issues with solar and wind. With other traditional power sources, you can control how much power is generated, and when. Not so much with solar and wind. To say nothing of the storage question.

There is literally not enough lithium in the world to make enough batteries to support mass solar and wind power in the electrical grin just for the US, let alone the entire world. Realistically, the fight against climate change is going to be in CO2 capture and removal, not in stopping it's production.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Click Me!

The link above takes you to a site that shows the current amount of coal plants in the world. And the ones that will be built soon. Outside of Europe and North America, it's all coal and oil.

While I can't speak to those two countries in question, but storage and transmission are the real issues with solar and wind. With other traditional power sources, you can control how much power is generated, and when. Not so much with solar and wind. To say nothing of the storage question.

There is literally not enough lithium in the world to make enough batteries to support mass solar and wind power in the electrical grin just for the US, let alone the entire world. Realistically, the fight against climate change is going to be in CO2 capture and removal, not in stopping it's production.

Ah, fair enough. :(

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Oh right, I forgot about the whole not-being-enough-lithium or other REMs on the planet to go green thing. So yeah, we're collectively just plain fucked. Like there's no way to prevent it at this point.
This confused me. I've lived in Kuwait and Jordan, and both countries have a fuck-ton of sun every year. Could they not shift to solar and export excess energy produced to nearby countries? I don't know enough about solar energy storage and to know if it's feasible or not - the most I know is that homeowners can sell their excess produced back to the local energy company.
I'm sure it's technically possible, but why spend billions in infrastructure of solar plants, massive international power line systems and huge chunks of short-term electrical storage to sell for cash if you can just churn out barrels of oil for money instead? The technology isn't quite there yet for a huge power network like that, either, on transmission namely. Oh, right, and the fact that war in the middle east can happen at the drop of a hat if someone wants it to.

Storage tech is improving but that's mostly being discussed for local/regional needs. Storing even a minute's worth of power for an entire country would require, like. Well. You get the idea.

If a sort of massive international power transfer system already existed, the middle eastern oil powers could just as easily export solar energy though, you're right. There had been general proposals to create massive solar farms in in the Sahara to power Europe but it's never gone anywhere.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
This confuses me. I've lived in Kuwait and Jordan, and both countries have a fuck-ton of sun every year. Could they not shift to solar and export excess energy produced to nearby countries? I don't know enough about solar energy storage and to know if it's feasible or not - the most I know is that homeowners can sell their excess produced back to the local energy company.
a major factor in the fossil fuel industry's resiliency is how decent of an energy storage method the damn substances are. you can transport oil enormous distances way way more easily than renewably-produced electricity. I don't think the middle east is gonna be able to sell western countries bottled solar power- it would require a bigger miracle breakthrough than making the whole grid run on local distributed production.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

Swordman already gave further details but on top of transmission and storage issues you're going to need quite a bit of water to keep the panels clean which in the desert isn't easy + outsourcing energy production to less-stable regions isn't all that popular for Nat Sec reasons + fossil fuels are just more profitable and they're not just used for power production.

edit: oo-er seems like a regular here got caught up in the Mod mess!

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, the Nuclear question is going to cause a lot of political headaches in the future. We see all the trouble with Iran today. Turkey is slated to have it's first Nuclear plant in 2023. Widespread nuclear use for energy also comes with the caveat that said nation with it can also weaponize it.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't want to belong to a political Discord that has standards so low that they'd have me for a member.
lol. All i care about is a way of talking with other folks if shit go south. I havent received any info anyway. I wish the forum had a way of letting pm's go through when bans happen. That would negate everything.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Guys I really think we're hitting the reset button a little quickly here. We've got a nice little community here, let's work to make it better instead of running to discord.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
I don't know what's going on here, but regarding important recent developments: Matthews was for sure the one who beefed on air. Swallwell definitely heard it though - dunno why he'd deny something with obvious video evidence. He clearly flinched upon receiving an earful.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not able to follow what's been going on but why not just ban/remove the mods who are the problem? Or is it the same issue where it involves the owner of the site? Instead of trying to move a community the size of a medium sized city why not just get rid of the bad apples? There has to be a better solution to these problems than creating a cycle of dispersing and displacing the community every couple of years.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I think its jumping the gun talking about a move. A moderation issue should be easy to resolve. This isnt the same as GAF by a longshot.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not able to follow what's been going on but why not just ban/remove the mods who are the problem? Or is it the same issue where it involves the owner of the site? Instead of trying to move a community the size of a medium sized city why not just get rid of the bad apples? There has to be a better solution to these problems than creating a cycle of dispersing and displacing the community every couple of years.

From what I can gather, I think it's more just members jumping the gun out of concern and having bad memories from two years ago. The issue seems like it can probably be resolved without a massive site departure.

Oct 26, 2017
I think the best Pete criticism should be along the lines of, "He's making rookies mistakes. When he's more experienced in politics he'll know better than to make those errors." It puts him in his place and reminds voters he's inexperienced; I'm not sure Kamala is the one to deliver that, though.

I assume the picture was added by someone Googling for stock photos featuring African-Americans. There's nothing in that photo that stands out as Kenyan/African. It's a coincidence that resonates because of birtherism.

The picture at the Holocaust Memorial seems a bit out of Pete's hands, too. His husband posted an Instagram picture. I actually think it's a nice artistic photo. I lived in DC; I saw plenty of tourists taking photos at somber memorials with inappropriate expressions (that's what this controversy is, right? That he has a slight smile in a hallowed place?), and this was before omnipresent social media and ubiquitous cameras. Don't lie to me that you don't take photos in the same places. He's not posing ridiculously and it's pretty disingenuous to link him with Grindr dudes posing shirtless trying to get laid.

The endorsements, however, are a real fuck-up. "Opting out" of endorsements is a slimy move. And it was unneeded! He had 400 people endorsing his plan, he didn't need to lie that it was also endorsing him for President.

This is all on point.

Also when Booty made those comments in 2010, it wasn't common knowledge yet that the movement was mostly fueled anger about having a black man as President. In 2010, the Tea Party still had an air of legitimacy in the media and they were supposedly "mad as hell" conservatives upset about the ballooning debt. This wasn't really fully exposed as a farce until 4-5 years later. Booty pandering to a group of conservatives in a red state isn't as scandalous as you guys want to make it out to be.

Also companies use stock photos all the time and if I'm not mistaken the photos were used to promote Booty's proposed "Douglas Plan". Obviously this plan doesn't even exist, it's just an idea so there's no legitimate photos to take. Any real photos would be staged as well because again the plan doesn't exist. So I don't understand why using a stock photo for a fake plan is so scandalous unless there was some caption saying, "LaQuita and her son Tyrone after experiencing the magnificence of Buttigieg's Douglas plan!" The origins of the stock photo being from Kenya doesn't register on my radar one bit.

But the "Opting out" endorsements raised all kinds of red flags for me and bothers me way more than 90% of the Pete-Hate Era has been posting the past several days. For starters, did he just do this "Opting out" endorsements to other officials around the country or was this only done to black people in SC? Yeah this bothers me a ton and if Kamala were to go after him (which I don't think she will), I'd rather her hit him on the endorsement issue than any of the other fluff that's been brought up here the last several days.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
This is all on point.

Also when Booty made those comments in 2010, it wasn't common knowledge yet that the movement was mostly fueled anger about having a black man as President. In 2010, the Tea Party still had an air of legitimacy in the media and they were supposedly "mad as hell" conservatives upset about the ballooning debt. This wasn't really fully exposed as a farce until 4-5 years later. Booty pandering to a group of conservatives in a red state isn't as scandalous as you guys want to make it out to be.
Nah, this is wrong. It was completely evident it was about a black man in the White House by 2010. This isn't even hard to confirm, just look at any rallies from that year.

4-5 years after that they weren't even a thing anymore, having wildly succeeded in getting the GOP to bend to their rhetoric to the point where they were essentially the party and of course here we are today with it all culminating in Trump's election.

I could post pages of this shit and that's without even getting into the rhetoric Glenn Beck was whipping them all up with. The dogwhistle store was sold out for months during their heyday.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Fucking Kevin McCarthy told Obama to go back to Africa and he's now Minority Leader.

Party is nothing but trash.

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, this is wrong. It was completely evident it was about a black man in the White House by 2010. This isn't even hard to confirm, just look at any rallies from that year.

No, I'm not wrong. Yes there were plenty of signs that the Tea Party was fueled by astroturf and racism, but again from about 2009 - 2012 or so, it was treated as a legitimate movement by the media. For every article you find showing Tea Party racism, I could dig up literally thousands of articles and TV mentions treating the Tea Party as a legitimate movement. Heck, there was a "Tea Party" caucus in Congress (they've since changed their name to "Freedom Caucus". If the Tea Party was so obviously toxic in 2010-2011, there wouldn't be a congressional caucus named after them. You're trying to make it seem as if everyone knew the Tea Party was the equivalent to an "Alt-Right" or "White Nationalist" movement but that wasn't the case early on. Many of us tried and failed to tell everyone that it was indeed a fake conservative movement with a seething racist underbelly, but not many people listened.

Public opinion didn't really begin turn on the Tea Party until after debit ceiling crisis. John Boener absolutely hated the Tea Party caucus and considered them a bunch of petulant children. But that was mostly about the Tea Party caucus basically making Congress impossible to govern. And the main reason the Tea Party ultimately became irrelevant is that Conservative Grifters basically grifted the Tea Party to death. Those of us on the liberal side, saw what the Tea Party was but that wasn't the consensus opinion even when the Tea Party began to fade.

It wasn't until the Trump Era began in 2015-2016 when all the dog whistles were put down and people just began screaming and supporting outright racism (muslim ban, Mexicans are rapist, etc). It was then AFTER the fact that people began putting together all the pieces and early warning signs from the Tea Party era (like the articles you posted) and realized the racism actually began by then. But it's revisionist history to suggest it was commonly accepted among the media and public at large that the Tea Party was a racist movement in 2010-2011.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
No, I'm not wrong. Yes there were plenty of signs that the Tea Party was fueled by astroturf and racism, but again from about 2009 - 2012 or so, it was treated as a legitimate movement by the media. For every article you find showing Tea Party racism, I could dig up literally thousands of articles and TV mentions treating the Tea Party as a legitimate movement. Heck, there was a "Tea Party" caucus in Congress (they've since changed their name to "Freedom Caucus". If the Tea Party was so obviously toxic in 2010-2011, there wouldn't be a congressional caucus named after them. You're trying to make it seem as if everyone knew the Tea Party was the equivalent to an "Alt-Right" or "White Nationalist" movement but that wasn't the case early on. Many of us tried and failed to tell everyone that it was indeed a fake conservative movement with a seething racist underbelly, but not many people listened.

Public opinion didn't really begin turn on the Tea Party until after debit ceiling crisis. John Boener absolutely hated the Tea Party caucus and considered them a bunch of petulant children. But that was mostly about the Tea Party caucus basically making Congress impossible to govern. And the main reason the Tea Party ultimately became irrelevant is that Conservative Grifters basically grifted the Tea Party to death. Those of us on the liberal side, saw what the Tea Party was but that wasn't the consensus opinion even when the Tea Party began to fade.

It wasn't until the Trump Era began in 2015-2016 when all the dog whistles were put down and people just began screaming and supporting outright racism (muslim ban, Mexicans are rapist, etc). It was then AFTER the fact that people began putting together all the pieces and early warning signs from the Tea Party era (like the articles you posted) and realized the racism actually began by then. But it's revisionist history to suggest it was commonly accepted among the media and public at large that the Tea Party was a racist movement in 2010-2011.
Because the media is perpetually shit at calling a spade a spade (shocking!) we can excuse people for ignoring the obvious evidence in front of their eyes? The same media that struggled for years to even call Trump a liar? What even is this? The racism was plain as day, or were the rally signs of nooses not clear enough? If someone needed Trump to help them work backward to figure that out then they're blind.

They can still be plainly bigoted and racist and still be considered a legitimate movement. I never suggested otherwise and the things aren't mutually exclusive.

You're right that Buttigieg pandering to them in Indiana of all places shouldn't be some scandalous thing, but it's also the same reason he should not be the Democratic candidate for President.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
I've been trying to read up on what has been going on, but it seems to be going in all directions.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Just reading that new stuff about Volker from last night. Looks as though I predicted correctly about how his testimony (and likely Morrison's as well) willl play out today. They'll admit they may have heard the stuff but play down their roles.

Hope Goldman & Schiff continue to ask the right questions and really needle these guys.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Being a mod sucks ass and I don't recommend it for anyone.
That's why I refused when offered.

Someone please send me a Discord link just in case. I hate Discord but would be willing to try using it again for this community.

Also no way in hell is Trump's cholesterol that low. Complete and utter bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.