Status
Not open for further replies.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
From research I saw years ago and cannot recall enough to even begin finding again, engineering is a field which is oddly predisposed to religiosity and libertarianism. The religiosity has to do with a sense that everything is connected, ala the clockwork god example, as engineering focuses on the idea of interlocking systems working in conjunction; the libertarianism is an off-shoot of STEM-y desires to let people "just do my work!"

This squares with my experience as someone in the tech field. All of the engineers but one that I know are Libertarians, and non-coincidentally, kinda misogynist! Weird!
Basic sciences best sciences confirmed
Always and forever.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
As opposed to Biden? The guy who said black parents should spend more time playing the record to their children?
Yes.

Because you know what's more embarrassing than that? Holding a campaign event at an HBCU that is 95% black but having your turnout look like 3 grains of black pepper in a sugar bowl.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, ITT. I remember the commericals. Honestly if they pandered any more to desperate people they'd be like "I used to sell crack to little kids, but then I went to ITT." It was so fucking predatory.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Stephen Miller tried to say the reason they were stashing phone calls on this system was because of the rampart leaking that was happening in the white house.
Wait he admitted to the cover up?

LMFAO!!!!

Yeah don't want Trump's massive criminal actions to be leaked to the public...

In a single sentence they confirmed the whistleblowers comments about the exact method of the cover up. No wonder I have not seen a single GOP contend the idea of a codeword server use... its not even in the talking points because they are admitting he did it.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Wait he admitted to the cover up?

LMFAO!!!!

Yeah don't want Trump's massive criminal actions to be leaked to the public...

In a single sentence they confirmed the whistleblowers comments about the exact method of the cover up. No wonder I have not seen a single GOP contend the idea of a codeword server use... its not even in the talking points because they are admitting he did it.

Yeah, but the whistleblower is fake! Whatever that means - the bots have been pushing it all day.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Because you know what's more embarrassing than that? Holding a campaign event at an HBCU that is 95% black but having your turnout look like 3 grains of black pepper in a sugar bowl.
If Kamala was polling like Warren (and she was for a moment!), she'd be getting the same white dominant poll numbers. And she's black! That's embarrassing I guess, but it's also not since 45% of black people still have no business being Biden supporters anyways.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense to me. I know someone who's very mechanistic in his worldview. A big Scott Adams fan and also a Tulsi fan. Claims he's not a Trump supporter but he's been to like 4 Trump rallies and often expresses worshipful awe towards him. Dude is misogynist and clearly influenced by MRA shit. I think the unifying factor for all of this conceptual cluster is seeing women mechanistically, specifically.

This squares with my experience as someone in the tech field. All of the engineers but one that I know are Libertarians, and non-coincidentally, kinda misogynist! Weird!

Yea, it's obviously pretty impossible, and thus actually probable due to how ingrained it is, to ignore that extremely male-biased professions and fields are also pretty prone to some....interesting....thoughts.

To be entirely fair, I come from a social sciences and humanities direction and once heard someone, a doctoral student in cultural studies, say during a presentation, "I don't put much stock in quantitative data." Which raised my ire pretty badly, since my personal trade is applying historical and social analysis to culture, and you cannot negate hard data and research, including statistical analysis, when discussing a subject's background and surrounding context.

There's way too little overlap in disciplines, though I do know which ones I think tend to err more on the side of being correct outside of their little fiefdoms.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Joe has built up enough credibility over his career that even if he says something dumb not nearly enough people believe he is malicious or a bad person. And it completely blew up in the faces of the ones that tried to insinuate he was

People care about experience and electability. Nobody is making a good case that they are either of those things so instead we're fucking around arguing about the details of legislation we'll probably never actually pass.

Warrens done well and gained momentum but a lot of people including me aren't sold yet she'll win a general election.

If Bernie's out and it's really down to Warren and Biden by the time my state gets to voting I might vote Biden but I'm not sure yet. Warrens done well but I'm not sold she'll win a general yet.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

That's a self fulfilling prophecy. Basically claiming that Warren is doing nothing for black voters because she isn't getting black voter turn out. It's not like she is purposefully planting more white folks at her events.

So if she starts getting more black voter turn out at events without doing anything to earn it... are you going to say something to the contrary?

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
When Bernie supporters in 2016 made comments about black folk needing to just wake up and stop supporting Hillary it was dumb and stupid and (borderline) offensive. When those of us who support Warren say similar things it's equally bad.

Black voters don't owe Warren (or any other candidate) shit. She's gotta earn their vote just like every other group. If she's not speaking to them, then she gotta do better. If she's not, it's a failure on her campaign's part, not the AA community.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I lived in upstate NY and went to college in Huntington and I'd argue Huntington is a good deal more conservative

I'm sure it is, considering the demographic and economic disparity between the two regions. However, I don't think it's particularly unusual for a similarly sized city in the rust-belt. I'd call it comfortably a 'normal city' as a fellow out-of-state grad of Marshall University.

Compared to 95% of WV, though, it might as well be Boulder CO. lol And believe it or not, the embrace of the GOP is a change that has happened in my lifetime in WV. You gotta admit, GOP is good at messaging. It's easy if you don't care about lying. Attack the EPA and Unions, then blame them for the reason the only resource in town is dying, and boom. Sprinkle in a little bit of white demographic fear for good measure, and you got counties with 90% support of Trump.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Yea, it's obviously pretty impossible, and thus actually probable due to how ingrained it is, to ignore that extremely male-biased professions and fields are also pretty prone to some....interesting....thoughts.

To be entirely fair, I come from a social sciences and humanities direction and once heard someone, a doctoral student in cultural studies, say during a presentation, "I don't put much stock in quantitative data." Which raised my ire pretty badly, since my personal trade is applying historical and social analysis to culture, and you cannot negate hard data and research, including statistical analysis, when discussing a subject's background and surrounding context.

There's way too little overlap in disciplines, though I do know which ones I think tend to err more on the side of being correct outside of their little fiefdoms.

Yeah, I think it would be nice if the sciences were taught a little more... intersectionally I guess? Like they all kind of feed into each other to some extent already, but there are plenty of lessons you can apply cross discipline that feel like they're just not being taught.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
When Bernie supporters in 2016 made comments about black folk needing to just wake up and stop supporting Hillary it was dumb and stupid and (borderline) offensive. When those of us who support Warren say similar things it's equally bad.

Black voters don't owe Warren (or any other candidate) shit. She's gotta earn their vote just like every other group. If she's not speaking to them, then she gotta do better. If she's not, it's a failure on her campaign's part, not the AA community.
Not even insinuating that, just responding to the comments made.

Like what can Warren do to get that base is the question here. Can the voter block be swayed? If it's just a matter of experience and electability then not much she can actively do in those categories despite having very good favorability. What about policy? She seems to have a leg up on Biden on that front.

The best she can do IMO is more on the ground campaigning in those states. It seems that whenever she exposes herself more she gets more support. Maybe that's what she is missing, not being on the ground enough in the Carolinas. I have to imagine that's on her radar for sure. But if she does that and hardly any black voters show up... what then?

Also not asking YOU these questions in particular but just in general.

Bramblebutt

Jan 11, 2018
I have to jump in and defend my home state for a second. Yes, rural folk are gonna rural, but having spent time in both I can say rural western NY and rural South Carolina are still very far apart. Yes, those differences may be still on the scale of "shitty", but there is a difference. I think most of that has to do with NYS' national blue-ness, and the gravitational pull of NYC. South Carolina as a state is its own world, whereas rural western NY still gets reminded that they're in a blue state and that tempers them a little.

That said, when you get south of Buffalo, heading towards Ohio, that wedge bordered by I-90 in the West, Route 20A in the North, I-390/86/99 in the East, and the state border in the south, that's no-man's land. In all my travels, I have never had anything take me down that way and I couldn't even tell you what's there.

A lot more confederate flags than you'd expect to see 150 miles north of the Mason Dixon line. I still remember the giant "THE VOTERS REN*GGED" sign some guy put on his lawn back in 2012 when I was still living there.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Someone on twitter pointed out he stands like a centaur.

Edit: dammit, too late

What the fuck? Dems just pulled a GOP "fall in line"
Democrats are united in their hatred of Trump at least. Which is why electability is so huge this election... people just want Trump removed at the best possible probability.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Stephen Miller tried to say the reason they were stashing phone calls on this system was because of the rampart leaking that was happening in the white house.
...that's a perfectly reasonable reason – except – current EOs require their storage on the other system. So

They can either abide by the EO
or
They can issue a new EO

Wanna guess why they didn't pick option 2?

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Different spin: "GOP SUPPORT FOR IMPEACHMENT NEARLY DOUBLES ACCORDING TO NEW POLL." I should post that headline on r/politics. Most threads on there are just snooty confirmations. "Yes, the President can be impeached" +25k "No, More Guns don't Keep us Safer" +15k. And you can always cash in a few months with a "Bernie can still win! Here's how:"

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck? Dems just pulled a GOP "fall in line"
Because the misconduct is so clear. It doesn't need a special counsel or years-long investigation.

He tried to shake down a foreign leader to benefit his campaign. In plain sight. Case closed. One and done.

Winning support on that is far easier than trying to untangle the mess of 2016 and the obstruction of 2017-present.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Here's the Stephen Miller interview, worth a watch, but I was wrong it wasn't in this interview where they said they were storing the calls because of leaks, I'll see if I can find who said it.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017

Like what can Warren do to get that base is the question here. Can the voter block be swayed? If it's just a matter of experience and electability then not much she can actively do in those categories despite having very good favorability. What about policy? She seems to have a leg up on Biden on that front.

The best she can do IMO is more on the ground campaigning in those states. It seems that whenever she exposes herself more she gets more support. Maybe that's what she is missing, not being on the ground enough in the Carolinas. I have to imagine that's on her radar for sure. But if she does that and hardly any black voters show up... what then?

Oh, that wasn't directed at you. :)

Honestly, she needs to keep making her case. She needs to reach out to the black community. The thing is, these types of connections aren't things that just happen overnight. The good thing is, Warren has shown an ability to listen and be open. She's also not about insulting folks who don't currently support her. I'm sure there is a large number of voters of all stripes who are open to considering her. She just has to argue and show that she's the better option. I think electability is part of that, sure. I do think she needs to be in the Carolinas a bit more. She needs more surrogates out and about. She an only be in so many places at once. I understand why she's all in on Iowa and NH, as that's a good place to start. She absolutely cannot ignore the south though. If she does, she will lose...and rightly so.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
A lot more confederate flags than you'd expect to see 150 miles north of the Mason Dixon line. I still remember the giant "THE VOTERS REN*GGED" sign some guy put on his lawn back in 2012 when I was still living there.

Ugh, this is unfortunately very true. It's an issue that has actually gotten more attention in the last couple of years, and I've noticed pressure to push back on all the confederate flags. Nothing official of course, but more of an understanding that it's a shit thing to do and that more people need to recognize it as shit.

If I ever have a neighbor that fly the Stars and Bars I'll be sure to search out a flag of a local regiment and fly it higher.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

She already jumped 10 points or so to 19% while in the early to mid 20s overall? Bernie got 25% w a 45% overall share.

She just needs to keep campaigning. Something Bernie didnt do in 16.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What I mean is... putting even Joe Biden aside... why are her numbers worse than Steyer of all people in that state? Something is not right there and the Warren people should be thinking about that harder.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
So I found it, it was Jim Jordan getting hammered by Tapper who said they were putting calls in that server because of leaks. @4:10 in the video.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
MoE on subsamples is insanely high. It's why she might have support from 19% or 5% in two high quality polls. She just needs to keep plugging away.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
So I found it, it was Jim Jordan getting hammered by Tapper who said they were putting calls in that server because of leaks. @4:10 in the video.

Yeah but the leaks were two years earlier. Did they put every call since then in the super secret server? More likely they only put the personally incriminating ones in there, then came up with this story after getting caught.

Sad to see Jim Jordan fighting so hard for Trump when he did nothing for the athletes he was responsible for.

Status
Not open for further replies.