• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
So California is definitely smart. Especially Twitter addled SF but Iowa... will be interesting.

This is what I thought the strategy should be. Try to turn these endorsements into positive momentum, and focus hard on the first couple of states plus super Tuesday. At least they seem to be doing the smart thing. Going to be hard to shake off the negatives of a heart attack though.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
A Bernie/AOC campaign event in SF or LA probably easily becomes the highest attended event of the campaign cycle for the Dems.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
I am kind of surprised she's actively campaigning for him.

Most congressional endorsements are just sort of "I support this person."

And then back to BAU.

YMMV on whether an endorsement was politically savvy for her, I don't think it was but whatever. But actively campaigning and serving as a surrogate is... I don't think a good idea, since lbr Bernie is still donezo.

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like AOC endorsement was good for reassuring those that were already supporting Bernie. I don't see her endorsement, and active campaigning, growing his support though

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

And then back to BAU.

YMMV on whether an endorsement was politically savvy for her, I don't think it was but whatever. But actively campaigning and serving as a surrogate is... I don't think a good idea, since lbr Bernie is still donezo.
As we discussed last week, she forever endears herself to his followers but then gets to endorse Warren for the general. She gets the best of both worlds.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017

And then back to BAU.

It's all going to depend on Sanders. If Sanders wins obviously it's a great thing for her, but there is some danger if he loses. If Sanders decides to go scorched Earth then it's going to really do damage to AOC politically. Especially if it's scorched Earth on Warren.
As we discussed last week, she forever endears herself to his followers but then gets to endorse Warren for the general. She gets the best of both worlds.
Still some danger. If Sanders pulls another 2016 goes negative, and Warren is the nominee it's going to to damage to AOC politically.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And then back to BAU.

I think this is a case of Tyrion saying to Joffrey "Your absence will be noted." She's going through the motions to avoid backlash from the Sanders base.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018

And then back to BAU.

She's now universally loved by his sizable donor base and millions of supporters and can just as easily support and campaign for Warren if she ends up winning over Bernie.

There is no scenario in which AOC loses political capital over this.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
We all knew it was a desperation endorsement to try to stop the bleeding, but she probably shouldn't have said it out loud.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
The only people AOC is in danger of angering or losing support from is people who actively hate Sanders. And her supporting him will always be a black mark on her record to them. Luckily they're mostly wonks with a chip on their shoulder trying to read tea leaves, so who cares?

Every normal voter would just think "oh, don't they have really similar values and politics? Makes sense that she supported him". People are bending over backwards to paint her as some sort of schemer who only is trying to save herself from the dreaded bernard brigade's backlash when she really just believes in what he stands for.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
The only people AOC is in danger of angering or losing support from is people who actively hate Sanders. And her supporting him will always be a black mark on her record to them. Luckily they're mostly wonks with a chip on their shoulder trying to read tea leaves, so who cares?

Every normal voter would just think "oh, don't they have really similar values and politics? Makes sense that she supported him". People are bending over backwards to paint her as some sort of schemer who only is trying to save herself from the dreaded bernard brigade's backlash when she really just believes in what he stands for.
yeah, this.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

I like AOC and I'm not angry at her endorsing him even though I actively hate Bernard. I question her judgement a bit in thinking a 79-yo dude who just had a heart attack is fit for the Presidency, but that doesn't really make me like her any less.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I mean, every endorsement has a political calculus being a, you know, political act.

I'm meh on AOC. I disagree with some of her policies, but I don't actively dislike her. I think her endorsement is ill timed, and I question the wisdom of thinking a nearly 80 year old heart attack patient is the best to create a multi-ethnic working class coalition. But, hey, that's her choice.

And everyone saying "Well they're so similar is why." I mean, yes, but at the same time, that's why this probably won't make a dang bit of difference. AOC and The Squad aren't going to help with Bernie's weaknesses. The best you can hope for, in my opinion, is that he stops the bleeding. I cannot think of a single person who is like 'Man, I love that AOC so much, but I hate Bernie...but now that AOC is on board, I got no choice." AOC helps with the people Bernie already has--which is indicative of the problems with his campaign. He can ONLY talk to that 10-15%.

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
Still think there's a large disconnect between the perceived strength of AOC and her actual political capi
I mean, every endorsement has a political calculus being a, you know, political act.

I'm meh on AOC. I disagree with some of her policies, but I don't actively dislike her. I think her endorsement is ill timed, and I question the wisdom of thinking a nearly 80 year old heart attack patient is the best to create a multi-ethnic working class coalition. But, hey, that's her choice.

Has Bernie's black support/outreach improved this cycle?

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I'm kind of fearing that the next round of polls are gonna come out with Biden being level and Warren losing ground directly to Bernie and thus creating a sizable gap between 1st and 2nd place again. That'll be fun.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Still think there's a large disconnect between the perceived strength of AOC and her actual political capi

Has Bernie's black support/outreach improved this cycle?
Oh good lord, no. lol

His block of voters appears more diverse because of how much bleed he's had with white voters. (And, no, not all Bernie supporters are white males, as I think it always has to be said). Bernie's biggest issue is that he's basically DOA with voters over 30. In the latest Quinn he was in 6th or 7th with voters over 65. That's not a winning coalition. But, once you hit 30, his support just dries up. I can't imagine the heart attack has done anything to help with those voters.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Had she sat out the primary then it's entirely plausible that some Rose Twitter weirdoes would loathe her.

I don't anticipate people who dislike Bernie to start disliking her.

I mean I'm more interested in the impact on the behind the scenes machinations. But then I don't know how people in the Warren-sphere work, and whether this would put her on the relative outs.

Oct 25, 2017

And everyone saying "Well they're so similar is why." I mean, yes, but at the same time, that's why this probably won't make a dang bit of difference. AOC and The Squad aren't going to help with Bernie's weaknesses. The best you can hope for, in my opinion, is that he stops the bleeding. I cannot think of a single person who is like 'Man, I love that AOC so much, but I hate Bernie...but now that AOC is on board, I got no choice." AOC helps with the people Bernie already has--which is indicative of the problems with his campaign. He can ONLY talk to that 10-15%.
i think there's a reasonable, like, "finger to the wind" argument that AOC's upperbound is higher than Bernie's, and grabbing a news cycle based on this might influence people who haven't seriously reevaluated Bernie since 2016 (ie the Bernie ceiling problem) to at least watch that AOC twitter video, or speeches from the rally, and reassess whether or not they consider him a "serious" candidate.

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
Oh good lord, no. lol

His block of voters appears more diverse because of how much bleed he's had with white voters. (And, no, not all Bernie supporters are white males, as I think it always has to be said). Bernie's biggest issue is that he's basically DOA with voters over 30. In the latest Quinn he was in 6th or 7th with voters over 65. That's not a winning coalition. But, once you hit 30, his support just dries up. I can't imagine the heart attack has done anything to help with those voters.

What I had figured based on cursory glances at some polls, posts, et al

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
AOC's endorsement isn't just a flaccid run-of-the-mill endorsement, though. She's actively campaigning with him. Whether or not her name recognition automatically boosts his numbers in and of itself isn't really the point when she's going out and speaking to people on his behalf to try to bring them over to their way of thinking.

People seem to think the announcement of her endorsement was the end, but it's just the beginning. Maybe it won't work at all, but we'll have to wait and see. I think AOC has a way of talking about the same issues Bernie does in a way that is very relatable to younger people, minorities, and even plain ol' vanilla liberals.
Time will tell, I suppose

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
i think there's a reasonable, like, "finger to the wind" argument that AOC's upperbound is higher than Bernie's, and grabbing a news cycle based on this might influence people who haven't seriously reevaluated Bernie since 2016 (ie the Bernie ceiling problem) to at least watch that AOC twitter video, or speeches from the rally, and reassess whether or not they consider him a "serious" candidate.
Was this even covered by the news media though? Like, I saw nothing on CNN's site, or MSNBC. My local and nightly news didn't mention it at all. Endorsements are kinda a in the weeds political thing. Like, your average John Q Public doesn't really care. Like, even in NYC AOC is only plus 5 in approval rating. I think he endorsement matters to Bernie supporters....and while anyone else would have been very happy to have it, it's less of a "get" in terms of changing anything. I agree AOC probably has a far brighter future, politically, than Bernie (age not being a factor.)

But, again, Bernie is at basically 100% name recognition. His favorables hav been dropping. He just had a heart attack. His demographic problems in the primary are not going to be helped by AOC at all. What this MIGHT do is stop the bleeding from him to Warren. In the near term, ya, that's a necessity....but it's coming at a real low time in his campaign. We haven't really seen the heart attack fully cycle through the polling yet. At the end of the day, I think it'll be a bit of a wash.

Edit: Not related to your post at all....

But I think it's kind of telling when people are like promoting how much better AOC might be at winning over voters than the guy she's stumping for, and that he desperately needs the support of a first term congresswoman to have a snowballs chance in hell of actually converting those who aren't fans. Maybe he's a bad candidate then? Idk just a thought.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Based on polling...
The more people pay attention to the race... the less likely they are to support Sanders.
The support he has now is basically people who aren't paying much attention.

September 25, 2019
DEMOCRATS/DEMOCRATIC LEANERS

ATTN TO PRES CAMPAIGN Q1

A lot // Some // Little or None

Biden: 29% // 23% // 16%
Sanders: 12 // 14 // 31
Warren: 31 // 27 // 12

October 14, 2019
ATTN TO PRES CAMPAIGN Q1
A lot //Some

Biden: 30% // 21%
Sanders: 8 // 14
Warren: 34 // 23

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Will be interested to see how those events don't turn into "AOC feat. Bernie Sanders" vs being Sanders campaign events. Campaigning with someone with more charisma than you is dangerous. She could help fundraise for him, too, I guess.

I'm legit concerned Bernie is going to get himself killed if he's planning the dramatic schedule he seems to be setting up. Dude still just had a heart attack a few weeks ago. Like, fine, you don't have to drop out if you don't want to, but dying on the campaign trail isn't worth it.

Oct 25, 2017
The difference between AOC and Bernie is that AOC might actually be President someday.
Nah. GOP have basically made her their new white whale, and I doubt she could even win a statewide primary tbh.

I actually appreciate Bernie, and believe he's been our Goldwater in terms of moving the Democratic Party to a better spot.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Not related to your post at all....

But I think it's kind of telling when people are like promoting how much better AOC might be at winning over voters than the guy she's stumping for, and that he desperately needs the support of a first term congresswoman to have a snowballs chance in hell of actually converting those who aren't fans. Maybe he's a bad candidate then? Idk just a thought.
I think the purpose of endorsements, VP choices, etc is to get people who weren't paying attention or on board to pay attention or get on board. Then things snowball (not like in hell, though, just like in winter where they grow bigger)

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure AOC is campaigning for Bernie because she believes that Bernie would be the best candidate for President tbh. Or just the best President. She's not gonna, like, lash herself to the mast if that ship sinks, but I doubt that she's just acting out of political instinct.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I think the purpose of endorsements, VP choices, etc is to get people who weren't paying attention or on board to pay attention or get on board.
Sure. Well, not to the Veep choice as much.... But the admission that Sander's campaign was so doa that the only thing that has a chance to save it is AOC is....you know..an admission that I think should give some folks pause. Again, though, with whom does AOC help that Bernie is having issues with? Justice Dems? Rose Twitter? DemSoc? He's already got them. Does this help with minority voters? Older voters? Women? (With whom he is running behind his male numbers, but again, not all Bernie supporters are male!) It's an endorsement that has very little value in actually getting anyone new on board. This is like Bill endorsing Hillary in terms of moving the needle where it counts. IMO, that's the value of an endorsement. I think it's nice she endorsed him. Clearly, he has been something of a hero to her, and she wants to do what she can to help. I think that's awesome. I have no shade against that at all, I'm purely speaking from a pol perspective on how this impacts the race. And I just don't see it.

Now, let's say Bernie got an endorsement from Clyburn? I'd be the first one out here saying GAME CHANGE. Because that has the potential to massively change the narrative of the race. I just don't see the AOC endorsement doing that. I can totally be wrong. Lord knows I have been before. But from where I'm sitting, I just don't see the math changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.