Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I see Buffoon has been spending his whole day on Twitter. This one from a couple of days ago is quite disgusting. It's footage from the SOTU edited to make it look like Nancy is tearing up his speech at the same time as one of the last surviving Tuskegee airmen was being celebrated. And Twitter and FB won't take down the misleading video, of course. He also retweeted an animated version of the Time cover showing Trump 2024 2028 2032... animated to look like it goes forever. Just "joke" #75 about not leaving peacefully.

twitter.com

Donald J. Trump on Twitter

“https://t.co/QhTWvcY4Ke”

Oct 25, 2017
We might be heading towards Klobbageddon
51xnr2CRX7L._AC_SX355_.jpg

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Amy is going to take 3rd. I don't know where it leaves her but it will give her campaign enough to carry on.

We are going to get some Bernie 25% everyone else piled in the high teens diarrhea and team Bloomberg sending out nodding gifs on Twitter.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Two things, very different -

1. What happens in the event of us going into the convention with Sanders at #1 in delegates and Mayor Pete at #2, and Sanders dies? To be fair, I'd ask the same of Biden if he was currently trending for #1, and died, with Sanders at #2. In this hypothetical, primaries are done, delegates set. And the rub here is the ideological differences, the different parts of the tent being represented by the top two choices.

2. I'm making my first topic, and after a lot of cajoling the easiest method is to directly write it up as a draft. If I save a draft, how do I access it? I'm not seeing a clear answer anywhere I look.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
They're all for it, and it makes them sound wishy-washy. "Medicare for more" isn't really a compelling pitch - you want to focus on the stuff you want to do that's relatively transformative. So public option and M4A.
True, but I hope when M4A hits a wall (and it most likely will) that whoever (whomever?) is our President at least tries to achieve lowering the eligibility age.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Iowa update. Lawyer is saying they can't fix errors, unless they were errors in transferring the indiviudual caucus results to the final record. Any errors made on the actual caucus records could not be fixed.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
Why does Bernie pack his campaign and surrogates with such conniving assholes? I believe he's a genuine guy. Their pot-stirring and conspiracies only corrode his authenticity. I really don't get it. edit: talking about Brihanna and Sirota mainly.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Iowa update. Lawyer is saying they can't fix errors, unless they were errors in transferring the indiviudual caucus results to the final record. Any errors made on the actual caucus records could not be fixed.

"The incorrect math on the Caucus Math Worksheets must not be changed to ensure the integrity of the process...."

I am sure people are going to take this very reasonably and in a civilized manner. No anger will come out of this... nope not at all.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
2020 election is so far turning into of the craziest elections in my 33 years of life. If so much wasn't on the line i would be entertained...but now im just have constant heart palpitations

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Why does Bernie pack his campaign and surrogates with such conniving assholes? I believe he's a genuine guy. Their pot-stirring and conspiracies only corrode his authenticity. I really don't get it.

They are way too useful to keeping the media (who are always on Twitter) in line and keeping other elected officials (also always on Twitter) from going after Bernie. I get why he keeps them around and letting them be awful, it's just the cost of controlling a key part of the narrative that is otherwise hard to control.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Why does Bernie pack his campaign and surrogates with such conniving assholes? I believe he's a genuine guy. Their pot-stirring and conspiracies only corrode his authenticity. I really don't get it.
The mindset of an entirely online generation fishing for sick burns and clapbacks. It's the only parlance they're fluent in.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Why does Bernie pack his campaign and surrogates with such conniving assholes? I believe he's a genuine guy. Their pot-stirring and conspiracies only corrode his authenticity. I really don't get it. edit: talking about Brihanna and Sirota mainly.

He's an ideas guy; not an execution one. I personally get that to an extent. I'm great at ideas but need someone else to delegate the responsibility to execute. Problem is, you have to recognise that about yourself. If you're the delegating type, you need good delegates. And he isn't so great at choosing his delegates.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017

I think there's more distrust of power in the camp given that the united states has a history of these things. Anywhere from the FBI plot to get MLK to kill himself to corporations hiding facts that products are harming people (Tobacco or Teflon or Oil)

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Two things, very different -

1. What happens in the event of us going into the convention with Sanders at #1 in delegates and Mayor Pete at #2, and Sanders dies? To be fair, I'd ask the same of Biden if he was currently trending for #1, and died, with Sanders at #2. In this hypothetical, primaries are done, delegates set. And the rub here is the ideological differences, the different parts of the tent being represented by the top two choices.

2. I'm making my first topic, and after a lot of cajoling the easiest method is to directly write it up as a draft. If I save a draft, how do I access it? I'm not seeing a clear answer anywhere I look.
I'm gonna go ahead and tell you now that that would probably get locked - the primary OT is for speculation like that.

I would also say that in that event literally nobody knows what would happen. It would be pandemonium.
True, but I hope when M4A hits a wall (and it most likely will) that whoever (whomever?) is our President at least tries to achieve lowering the eligibility age.
Oh, for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
2020 election is so far turning into of the craziest elections in my 33 years of life. If so much wasn't on the line i would be entertained...but now im just have constant heart palpitations
I feel like every election has its craziness.

2016 had the RNC turn into a death cult.

2012 was kind of a wash, but Obama's dreadful first debate, especially the first few minutes of it, are notable.

2008 was all kinds of fuckery both on the DNC and GOP sides.

2004 had the swift boating... that worked!

2000.... lol

1996 was a thumping thanks to Dole and sort of Perot.

1992 featured new comer Bill Clinton and Al Gore against old man Bush.

1988 featured a tank.

And so on.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
It should automatically appear the moment you start posting a thread again.

Thank you, although I'm still paranoid it won't save anything....

I'm gonna go ahead and tell you now that that would probably get locked - the primary OT is for speculation like that.

I would also say that in that event literally nobody knows what would happen. It would be pandemonium.

I should point out that that 1 and 2 are disconnected. The first point is totally a question. The second point is about a long-gestating post about putting together a reading list to learn about epidemiology, from required reading to case studies to supplemental reading, for those confronting social media panic about the Wuhan Coronavirus.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"The incorrect math on the Caucus Math Worksheets must not be changed to ensure the integrity of the process...."

I am sure people are going to take this very reasonably and in a civilized manner. No anger will come out of this... nope not at all.
"Any judgement of math miscalculations would insert personal opinion into the process..."

Math = personal opinion.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I should point out that that 1 and 2 are disconnected. The first point is totally a question. The second point is about a long-gestating post about putting together a reading list to learn about epidemiology, from required reading to case studies to supplemental reading, for those confronting social media panic about the Wuhan Coronavirus.
Ahhhh okay - my mistake.

I would recommend writing the draft, switching it to BB code by pressing that little gear at the end of the row, and then copy/pasting it into notepad if you want to make 100% sure it'll be saved.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"Any judgement of math miscalculations would insert personal opinion into the process..."

Math = personal opinion.
There is a statement in there that other campaigns can submit the errors/inconsistencies but like... why are other campaigns doing the leg work for you?

This is such a crock of shit.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
They are way too useful to keeping the media (who are always on Twitter) in line and keeping other elected officials (also always on Twitter) from going after Bernie. I get why he keeps them around and letting them be awful, it's just the cost of controlling a key part of the narrative that is otherwise hard to control.
Oh that's an interesting and encouraging take. I'm just looking at these folks and thinking: they would be poison in an administration. Do they represent what he thinks are the best and brightest? If he's just using them for what they're good for...ok I guess? It's still the company you keep though.

If their voice is indicative of the way the rest of his campaign is gonna go, I think there is zero point zero chance he'll take it all the way. He needs to find a way to keep enthusiasm high and tamp down on the division. You're not gonna win the GE with dorm rooms and twitter alone.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
And that is why Perez should have said nothing. It's a terrible look. Talks about recanvassing but now they can't correct math errors. Everyone involved in this shit show should resign.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

i mean I get the rationale here but it's just another reason to say fuck caucuses. None of this is going to matter anyway even if (when) we end up in a brokered convention

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is similar to those sport purists who think technology shouldn't interfere with on the spot referee calls because it's in the spirit of the game (ie. human error). Only then people try to bend the rules, pay off refs and the whole thing becomes a mess.

This is even more egregious because it's not a fucking game... i's about the fate of the country and the world.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
Didn't Perez try to convince Iowa to switch from the voodoo caucus model to something less esoteric? I'd imagine this result was something he would have liked to avoid.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There is a statement in there that other campaigns can submit the errors/inconsistencies but like... why are other campaigns doing the leg work for you?

This is such a crock of shit.
See, that's the thing though. Virtually all of the errors are on the Caucus Math Worksheets. For example, some precincts give county delegates to teh wrong person, give more delegates than the precinct is supposed to have, or completely deny delegates to a candidate that's supposed to have them. None of that will change. All that can be changed is what the IDP took from the Caucus Math Worksheets and reported officially. As in, if they made any transcription errors while reporting all the fucked up math. The math can't be changed.

The caucus math worksheets should ONLY have first and final count. But they don't. They also have the delegate math. That delegate math is where the most errors have been made. But since it's on the Caucus Math Worksheets, it can't be changed apparently. Because it's assuming that the county delegate count is wrong and not the final count, which injects personal opinion. It's designed to be fucked. There's literally a precinct that gave itself 10 delegates instead of 6. DOESNT MATTER. Can't change it, apparently.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Does it even matter anymore? Pete already got his momentum boost, and he and Bernie have an equal split on delegates. A week later correction that puts Bernie 1% ahead on SDEs isn't gonna change anything in the race.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
See, that's the thing though. Virtually all of the errors are on the Caucus Math Worksheets. For example, some precincts give county delegates to teh wrong person, give more delegates than the precinct is supposed to have, or completely deny delegates to a candidate that's supposed to have them. None of that will change. All that can be changed is what the IDP took from the Caucus Math Worksheets and reported officially. As in, if they made any transcription errors while reporting all the fucked up math. The math can't be changed.
Yeah I think this is the last time I am going to give 1 more brain cell worth of attention to Iowa in this cycle. It's definitely not worth it.

We the American people deserve better than this.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is similar to those sport purists who think technology shouldn't interfere with on the spot referee calls because it's in the spirit of the game (ie. human error). Only then people try to bend the rules, pay off refs and the whole thing becomes a mess.

This is even more egregious because it's not a fucking game... i's about the fate of the country and the world.

the problem is nobody really knows what happened at those caucuses because the paper trail doesn't necessarily match the results so you can't go back and second guess them. You can only rely on the final recorded outcome. The lawyer says you can go back and recount the preference cards but it's noted that they aren't always handed in

in short, caucuses are stupid and a clusterfuck

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't matter if there was an actual conspiracy or if they are that incompetent. The end result is the same. Just sowing division in the party and mistrust in the process.

Last edited:

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
I think there's more distrust of power in the camp given that the united states has a history of these things. Anywhere from the FBI plot to get MLK to kill himself to corporations hiding facts that products are harming people (Tobacco or Teflon or Oil)
Holy shit I missed this. What is this nonsense?

Are you saying you think Bernie believes all the crap these folks are spewing? Or that he can't find honest smart altruistic people so he hires trustworthy trolls?

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
Does it even matter anymore? Pete already got his momentum boost, and he and Bernie have an equal split on delegates. A week later correction that puts Bernie 1% ahead on SDEs isn't gonna change anything in the race.
It matters in the sense that it makes plain how terrible, unreliable and prone to failure the caucus system is. We already knew this, but having hard proof of it is useful.

Now odds are that won't change anything because Iowa's political structures only care about preserving their undeserved prominence when it comes to presidential elections, and as such they are afraid of any change, no matter how much that change would improve their undemocratic process.

But you're right in that it makes no difference to the actual 2020 race. It's already a shitshow and nothing the IDP can or will do will change that impression.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit I missed this. What is this nonsense?

Are you saying you think Bernie believes all the crap these folks are spewing? Or that he can't find honest smart altruistic people so he hires trustworthy trolls?
I'm not commenting on what Bernie personally believes.

I'm saying that people who recognize that powerful people have been doing illegal/shady things in the past would be more likely to recognize conspiracies in current events.

E: Why do you think people who don't intuitively trust institutions which have repeatedly shown to be corruptible to be honest, smart, and altruistic?

Last edited:

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
It matters in the sense that it makes plain how terrible, unreliable and prone to failure the caucus system is. We already knew this, but having hard proof of it is useful.

Now odds are that won't change anything because Iowa's political structures only care about preserving their undeserved prominence when it comes to presidential elections, and as such they are afraid of any change, no matter how much that change would improve their undemocratic process.

But you're right in that it makes no difference to the actual 2020 race. It's already a shitshow and nothing the IDP can or will do will change that impression.

Oh, I completely agree on that. Caucuses need to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.