Status
Not open for further replies.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
It's also frustrating to see that WA has to pick up the slack, as that states residents and leaders which have acted responsibly now have to take in covidiots from Idaho because their hospitals are full.

Also covid related, Trinidad said there is no record of anyone with those side effects, and they weren't happy about having to waste time on that bs, also fwiw they use the Chinese vaccine there, not our vaccines. Thanks, Nikki.
It's fucked up. My mom was the regional director of a crisis pregnancy center, and obviously, is super pro-life. Yesterday she was trying to argue against mandating vaccines for large businesses and Federal employees because it's wrong for the government to impose on people's personal medical decisions. Thankfully she snapped out of being a Covid denier/downplayer and got vaccinated, but that's the only progress she's made. Meanwhile we've all got to walk on eggshells in hopes of not needing to go to the ER for anything because our hospitals are overflowing with idiots.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The WH is happy to have Republicans focus on Milley. Hilarious to see them whine about treason with zero self-reflection. It gives everyone a chance to remind people about the unstable POTUS who fomented an insurrection where cops died, and was trying to dismantle democracy. Keep reminding people of that, please. "The military wasn't going along with a coup, this is bad.", is a hell of a take.

It's nice to see people being motivated to vote, and voting against the fascists, but at the same time I'm disappointed that it's after the horse has left the stable, so to speak. They already stole the RBG seat. They already banned abortions in TX, and I think by next year we'll find that red states have few if any options for women after six weeks. I just wish we hadn't gotten to this point in the first place. If there hadn't been so much complacency in 2016, we'd still have a viable SC, countless lives would have been saved from covid, and I doubt TX would be quite this extremist right now since they are courting Clown's favor.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

There's a reason the national GOP was dead silent about the Texas ban. They understand that as much as Roe v Wade is a driver of their base threatening it has the same effect on the Dem base.
Yup, and it's likely there's a few additional red states emboldened by Texas to do it again leading up to the midterms. In fact any additional action by the scotus will stir things up too. But Texas alone is a major catalyst if the Dems fire up the ground game before midterms

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
The WH is happy to have Republicans focus on Milley. Hilarious to see them whine about treason with zero self-reflection. It gives everyone a chance to remind people about the unstable POTUS who fomented an insurrection where cops died, and was trying to dismantle democracy. Keep reminding people of that, please. "The military wasn't going along with a coup, this is bad.", is a hell of a take.

It's nice to see people being motivated to vote, and voting against the fascists, but at the same time I'm disappointed that it's after the horse has left the stable, so to speak. They already stole the RBG seat. They already banned abortions in TX, and I think by next year we'll find that red states have few if any options for women after six weeks. I just wish we hadn't gotten to this point in the first place. If there hadn't been so much complacency in 2016, we'd still have a viable SC, countless lives would have been saved from covid, and I doubt TX would be quite this extremist right now since they are courting Clown's favor.
DJT shit the place up so bad it will take decades to clean up, if we can ever get things back to before the big disaster.

Deleted member 171

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, GOP needs to be a bit careful, as they really don't want Milley to come testify.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Things in red states are getting so bad. The Boise area is moving to crisis standards of care. It's been pretty good here compared to the rest of the state as far as people wearing masks and getting vaccinated, but it feels like the wolf is at the door now. We had 55 people die yesterday, which is a huge jump from the 10-12 deaths a day we've been seeing. Now that all the state's hospitals are at capacity, I think it just gets worse from here in a big way. I've already lost four family members. It's fucking frustrating and heartbreaking to see people die because they are stubborn and stupid.

I hate that I'm starting to get morbidly curious about what this does to demographics around the country. I'm not rooting for MAGA people to die, but it is hard to argue that that isn't exactly what a lot of them are doing. I see nothing slowing the cases here in the state. The Governor has no interest in stepping in. I know we talked about it yesterday with DeWine in Ohio opting to not impose any restrictions because his legislature would overturn it, but I just... somehow... somehow I'm still surprised when the GOP finds a new way to show that they truly don't have anyone's best interests at heart. Not their constituents anyway. I have to know where the tipping point is. How many deep red spots around the country are going to stay deep red if the most stubborn of them all die of Covid, and everyone left behind remembers the governors and legislatures that did nothing to protect them. I suspect that maybe there is no turning point for some of these people, but my god... it's just getting pretty fucking bad.

We've had multiple elections in the last decade that were decided by less than 100 votes. It seems impossible that 2022 won't have an election like that where people will then check "how many people in this district died of COVID?"

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Rep. Elise Stefanik (N.Y.), the No. 3 House Republican, is pushing the notion in Facebooks ads that President Biden and fellow Democrats are seeking a "permanent election insurrection" by expanding pathways to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.
The ads from Stefanik come ahead of a rally planned for Saturday in Washington in support of those charged with crimes in the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol and as House Democrats work to advance a measure that would allow several million immigrants to apply for permanent residency.
"Radical Democrats are planning their most aggressive move yet: a PERMANENT ELECTION INSURRECTION," says one version of the ad, paid for by Stefanik's campaign committee, that appeared Wednesday. "Their plan to grant amnesty to 11 MILLION illegal immigrants will overthrow our current electorate and create a permanent liberal majority in Washington."
The ad depicts Biden with people who appear to be migrants reflected in the sunglasses he is wearing.
The language in the ads echoes that of far-right commentators, including Fox News's Tucker Carlson, who have advanced a "replacement theory" that says liberals are seeking to replace White citizens with non-White immigrants who are inclined to support the Democratic Party.
For Stefanik, embracing such rhetoric is a departure from earlier in her political career. Before she replaced Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) as the House Republican conference chairwoman in May, some in her party had raised concerns that her record on immigration was too liberal.
An anti-immigration group criticized Stefanik's co-sponsorship of the Farm Workforce Authorization Act, which includes a pathway to citizenship for undocumented migrant farmworkers.
Different versions of Stefanik's ads started appearing on Facebook over the weekend, with several showing migrants trying to scale a border barrier. Some of the ads that debuted Wednesday target Biden by name, as well as Vice President Harris and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
There's a reason the national GOP was dead silent about the Texas ban. They understand that as much as Roe v Wade is a driver of their base threatening it has the same effect on the Dem base.

That's a dumb reason. Implying that "Not all GOP" are threatening to taking way our rights when the GOP rushed and appointed 3 supreme court justices and letting Texas ban abortion

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
We've had multiple elections in the last decade that were decided by less than 100 votes. It seems impossible that 2022 won't have an election like that where people will then check "how many people in this district died of COVID?"
I hate trying to find an upside to all of this death.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018

Rep. Elise Stefanik (N.Y.), the No. 3 House Republican, is pushing the notion in Facebooks ads that President Biden and fellow Democrats are seeking a "permanent election insurrection" by expanding pathways to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.

Dipshit Zuckerberg needs to clean his act and remove political ads on this stupid platform.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018

--------------------------

www.pewresearch.org

Majority in U.S. Says Public Health Benefits of COVID-19 Restrictions Worth the Costs, Even as Large Shares Also See Downsides

73% say they are vaccinated, but at least half express confusion, concern over vaccine information and health impacts.

The first one makes sense if you believe that those numbers who joined the church were lapsed Christian's who were using their religion as a cultural badge of honor before going more regularly after seeing their church support Trump.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Supreme Court approval rating has hit an all time low and approval from Dems has plummeted after the Texas decision. Dems were actually the main thing holding up approval in recent years because Roberts antics were able to cover up just how conservative the court had shifted.

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
Supreme Court approval rating has hit an all time low and approval from Dems has plummeted after the Texas decision. Dems were actually the main thing holding up approval in recent years because Roberts antics were able to cover up just how conservative the court had shifted.

if only there were elections to vote and help prevent this

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

You can probably find similar-sized results on climate action, gun control, abortion rights, etc. Problem is so many broadly popular policies embraced by voters, supported by Dems, and opposed by Republicans so rarely if ever are difference makers in elections. Though abortion could well prove to be a clear outlier this year and next in that regard.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
That's a dumb reason. Implying that "Not all GOP" are threatening to taking way our rights when the GOP rushed and appointed 3 supreme court justices and letting Texas ban abortion
Do you mean it's a dumb reason for them to be silent now? It wouldn't be the first time or the last that they drove a movement to frenzy their base only to chicken out once they got close to success (see the ACA).
Dipshit Zuckerberg needs to clean his act and remove political ads on this stupid platform.
The ship has kind of sailed on that one. The Dems are preoccupied with Biden's initial agenda items but even if they lose the House, Senate or both in 2022 it's almost a guarantee that FB and Twitter are going to get fucked though legislation. It's one of the few things the Dems and GOP can agree on now even if it's for different reasons.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Do you mean it's a dumb reason for them to be silent now? It wouldn't be the first time or the last that they drove a movement to frenzy their base only to chicken out once they got close to success (see the ACA).

In some fairness, didn't they almost succeed in getting it repealed when McConnell held the vote? It's just that McCain pulled an unexpected "no" vote at the last minute. And that was despite it being established/popular enough that Dems could successfully frame it as millions of people who used it getting their health care taken away.

Or are you referring to something else that I'm missing.

The ship has kind of sailed on that one. The Dems are preoccupied with Biden's initial agenda items but even if they lose the House, Senate or both in 2022 it's almost a guarantee that FB and Twitter are going to get fucked though legislation. It's one of the few things the Dems and GOP can agree on now even if it's for different reasons.

Honestly, I feel like that cannot come soon enough.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You can probably find similar-sized results on climate action, gun control, abortion rights, etc. Problem is so many broadly popular policies embraced by voters, supported by Dems, and opposed by Republicans so rarely if ever are difference makers in elections. Though abortion could well prove to be a clear outlier this year and next in that regard.

So, here's the thing. David Shor has pointed out that a lot of the way polling is done currently is biased toward getting the results people like us (liberal and very liberal people) want. Two examples of this - every time it's polled, background checks get insanely high numbers, but when it comes to referendums for these things, even in purple or blue-ish states, those referendums are always incredibly close, even in times when it's Presidential turnout. Are all those Republican's who say they're for background checks lying? No, the questions are just phrased in a way to get a yes. Same thing w/ taxes. A referendum in _Illinois_ just failed to change the state from a flat tax to a income tax, and the same type of thing (from a sales tax to income tax) also recently failed here in deep blue Washington.

This isn't a "we're a center-right country" argument. This is a "issue polling is not great" argument.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
So, here's the thing. David Shor has pointed out that a lot of the way polling is done currently is biased toward getting the results people like us (liberal and very liberal people) want. Two examples of this - every time it's polled, background checks get insanely high numbers, but when it comes to referendums for these things, even in purple or blue-ish states, those referendums are always incredibly close, even in times when it's Presidential turnout. Are all those Republican's who say they're for background checks lying? No, the questions are just phrased in a way to get a yes. Same thing w/ taxes. A referendum in _Illinois_ just failed to change the state from a flat tax to a income tax, and the same type of thing (from a sales tax to income tax) also recently failed here in deep blue Washington.

This isn't a "we're a center-right country" argument. This is a "issue polling is not great" argument.

Interesting!

It was my impression from the 2020 polling post-mortems that while electoral polling may be a disaster, issue polling was still fairly accurate. So I guess it's just the case now that truly all polling is bad lol

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
In some fairness, didn't they almost succeed in getting it repealed when McConnell held the vote? It's just that McCain pulled an unexpected "no" vote at the last minute. And that was despite it being established/popular enough that Dems could successfully frame it as millions of people who used it getting their health care taken away.

Or are you referring to something else that I'm missing.
I was thinking of that and honestly I think that was another work just like how Mancin and Sinema act as a shield for the more vulnerable Dems. The GOP never wanted to be responsible for repealing the ACA, they just wanted to drive outrage against it for their base.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... are you saying that promoting a PPV event on the anniversary of a national tragedy was a bad idea? Are you sure???

Trump commentating on literally any sport is a bad idea as you're pretty much guaranteed to lose at least half your viewership. Most people never want to hear that fuckers voice ever again.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017

This is 100% true with vaccine mandate polling too. I still say anyone who thinks 60%+ of the public is in favor of mandating vaccines is blind. Schools and healthcare services yeah ide believe that number. For a job outside of those industries? Itd probably be more like 40-50% on favor at best.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Interesting!

It was my impression from the 2020 polling post-mortems that while electoral polling may be a disaster, issue polling was still fairly accurate. So I guess it's just the case now that truly all polling is bad lol

All polling where the questions are written up to get the answer that liberal people running the polling want to get is bad. There are ways to do decent polling, it just give results that partisans dislike. The main thing with policy polling is "acquiescence bias" - if you ask a policy as a yes or no question, folks pick yes. This is why ballot measure polling is always too optimistic. If you give multiple polices as options everything gets more conservative.

Like, there is some popular stuff that's actually popular that moderates against because they're politically dumb or get donations (ie. the recent prescription drug stuff). OTOH, there are some things even normie liberals think are popular, that just aren't, and other things even normie liberal think are unpopular, that just aren't, unfortunately.

In general, if something truly has wide support, has wide salience, and the party that favors that thing is in power with the ability to pass it, it'll get passed. If M4A for instance actually had 70% support, it would've happened already, because it's not like politicians always do exactly what lobbyists say, no matter what.

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, the boxers in the former were way bigger draws than the boxers in the latter. Yes, deplatforming works, but I'm not sure that was the catalyst for those numbers.

This is 100% true with vaccine mandate polling too. I still say anyone who thinks 60%+ of the public is in favor of mandating vaccines is blind. Schools and healthcare services yeah ide believe that number. For a job outside of those industries? Itd probably be more like 40-50% on favor at best.

Fox News had a graphic on Twitter that showed 53% in favor of business over 100 people having a vaccine mandate.

Last edited:

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, the boxers in the former were way bigger draws than the boxers in the latter. Yes, deplatforming works, but I'm not sure that was the catalyst for those numbers.

Fox News had a graphic on Twitter that showed 53% in favor of business over 100 people having a vaccine mandate.
I could see that nationwide... maybe.
I bet you the suburbs where dems have been making a lot of these gains would be well under 50% though.

Status
Not open for further replies.